Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah all of the fights are very easy on normal at least. None of my characters had over 25 AC and I never used any protection spells 5e is just mindless DPS that's all just do damage hit things. The last fight was beyond trivial the only person who even got hit once was Minsc because I misclicked into an Aoo.

9mG9MZb.png

I really want to see what the smart guys do with this game/builds some of the lads from the pathfinder threads will be able to make. I think the tier 0 build will involve twinned haste. I might not have another playthrough straight away until I get a few quality of life mods and patches.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah all of the fights are very easy on normal at least. None of my characters had over 25 AC and I never used any protection spells 5e is just mindless DPS that's all just do damage hit things. The last fight was beyond trivial the only person who even got hit once was Minsc because I misclicked into an Aoo.

9mG9MZb.png

I really want to see what the smart guys do with this game/builds some of the lads from the pathfinder threads will be able to make. I think the tier 0 build will involve twinned haste. I might not have another playthrough straight away until I get a few quality of life mods and patches.
You can break the game however you want. If you want, with enough height, and stuff that make you not take fall damage, you can deal over 800 damage in one hit.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Im the only one who thinks that the game is challenging even on normal? sometimes enemies combo me with spells on turn 1 before i can even do anything
It's challenging if you don't min/max your build or buffs, and don't cheese with push mechanics or barrels. It's child's play if you do.

If find it annoying that people will come to the thread and complain how easy the combat is in one sentence, and then list the ways it can be cheesed in the next. Yes, if you place exploding barrels, make strong multiclass builds or otherwise exploit the system to its fullest potential, the game will be easy.

This is not a hardcore strategy game. There's at least two early-game bosses that can simply be pushed down a hole in one turn, and some of the early fights have environment win buttons like barrels. You can eliminate the entire druid grove without engaging in combat at all. You can talk one of the hardest bosses in Act 2 into killing himself and all his men. If you play it like a hardcore strategy game, you'll just end up getting bored.

Part of the problem with Shove out of the box is that it's relatively cheap as a Bonus action, so the temptation is to spam it. There's a mod that makes Shove, Dash and Jump full Actions like in 5e proper (as in Solasta): Fix Bad DM (lol) Most "proper" mod in the game so far.

Some of Swen's "fun" decisions are good, but making Shove a bonus action has the smell of one of the less good ones.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
I feel like I've wasted my life getting excited for what ended up being a frustrating let down. The fallout tactics display picture guy was right all along even though it seemed like he was trolling he was actually right.

Oh well product consumed, when do we get next product?

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The attention to detail is beyond any game I've ever seen. In act 2 in the Gauntlet of Shar, where you have to lower the lanterns and extinguish them to make it dark, I did it but still couldn't reach the statue in the middle. Realised my fighter was still holding a light source. Turned it off and the statue became accessible. The plaque wasn't kidding when it said the answer lies in darkness
Wow that is just buttfuckin amazing. I am in total awe at how incredible that is. I am shook. Never heard of anything like that in any game ever.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
the only question that really matters: did they do it? did they accomplish the impossible?

Only in parts really, comparing time for time, BG/BG2 were overall still more stunning relatively speaking than this game is now. But I can't deny that I've had some moments where it really did have the grim tone of a BG game (so far, mainly the Hag sequence, the spider cave sequence, and atm the Underdark). And the graphics mostly do give you a "quality" feeling like BG/BG2 did at the time. (As I said above, I think you get breakout CRPG hits when there's graphic advancement that iterates more towards the "holodeck" experience of an adventure simulator, that's what people are responding to, and every decade or so when there's an iteration like that, you get a CRPG hit that crosses over to normies.)

I actually think a fair bit of whether the game feels like a great BG game has to do with whether you read the lore books as they come up. They really put you much more in the FR setting, and take you away from the feeling that it's just more iteration on Larian's set formulae. I agree with what someone said above though, they could have put a bit more effort into making the books like like books from the context, instead of computer type printouts overlaid on antique paper (hate that type of look).

DeepOcean

Arcane
I came across the ogre mounting scene last night, I too have felt the great shame of scuttling a fat bitch like the bugbear did.
You should see the barbarian intimidation check on that scene, your character just get there making fun of them with his fingers implying the bugbear dick was too small for the oger and the bugbear gets offended trying to explain how he is virile and the oger start complaining how their passion was ruined, both in perfect english.

I felt I was on a Monty Piton episode.

Johnny Biggums

Learned
I'm a pretty cynical guy I guess and what, am I supposed to not play Baldur's Gate 3 just because it shits all over my two favorite games of all time? Come on now. I've chosen to honor product consoomed 20 years ago by getting excited for next product. I know my role in this farce of a world.

Its been said before but the big saving grace of the game is it lets you kill whoever annoys you. Imho this covers over a multitude of its sins.

To get to the point, I know Swen must have self-inserted somewhere in BG3. I want to know who and where his self-insert is so I can avenge myself on him for robbing me of my dignity

Modron

Arcane
Making a fantastic game and then shitting it up with ESG faggotry?

Yes. Yes, they did.
Not the first game to accomplish such a feat, Timespinner starts out a solid RPGvania with no real hints of the degeneracy to come. As it progresses the writing becomes increasingly degenerate to the point it might make a Larian writer blush. They went out of their way to fill the game with even more sodomites by outsourcing the writing to another company.

Every single good character in game is either female or a homosexual of varying shades of brown and the two possible bad guys are straight white males the only two of which you'll see in the game.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
bear rapekilled everyone in the gobbo jail including annoying gobbo kids and fled to the grove before i could find him. based.
Which is stupid as if you fight him with the goblins they ass rape him without problem.
probably because you dragging him down. hard to kill gobbos and protec bunch of useless "adventurers" at same time.

Why would anyone actually side with bunch of treehuggers lol, ofc I was with the goblins, didn't even had to help them.

Johnny Biggums

Learned
bear rapekilled everyone in the gobbo jail including annoying gobbo kids and fled to the grove before i could find him. based.
Which is stupid as if you fight him with the goblins they ass rape him without problem.
probably because you dragging him down. hard to kill gobbos and protec bunch of useless "adventurers" at same time.

Why would anyone actually side with bunch of treehuggers lol, ofc I was with the goblins, didn't even had to help them.

Oh, that's the other thing, not only does the game let you murder whoever, it often lets you mentally torture them beforehand. I put the hit out on Halsin the moment I learned of his proclivities. But first, I freed him from gobbo jail so he could witness the destruction of his hippy grove. Then I had gay sex with everyone except him. Only then did I kill him.

RegionalHobo

Scholar
finished it, good game imo, but -

- difficulty is pathetic even on tactician. feels like it would be balanced in a party of two after lvl 5

- feels like i m playing a rpg table with a DM and other players that are faaaar more liberal and horny than i am

- i dunno if i was already tired of the game but halsin and jaheira bored me to death

- game is frontloaded companion plot, personality and reactions wise. they react at the very least 3x more in a1

all in all a decent product, but i like the pathfinder games , especially kingmaker , a lot better. will do another playthrough when there s a difficulty mod or/if when larian decides to fix his encounters. this game certainly made me value owlcat more

bonus - 5e is the worst rpg system i ve played

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I feel like I've wasted my life getting excited for what ended up being a frustrating let down.
I think you're exaggerating. I guess if you were expected the game to be some challenging strategy game or to not be as pozzed as it is, sure. But you knew the game would be 5E and was made in the current year going in.

But it's an insanely long, fairly enjoyable D&D game. It met and exceeded my expectations there.

For me, most of my disappointment came before I played the game. Seeing the faggotry in the promo material, for example. The rest was seeing how awful the forced companion romances are.

But the game itself is still very impressive.

That said, I'm at the beginning of Act 3.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
the only question that really matters: did they do it? did they accomplish the impossible?

But I can't deny that I've had some moments where it really did have the grim tone of a BG game (so far, mainly the Hag sequence, the spider cave sequence, and atm the Underdark).

Act 2 takes that tone to a whole new level. Hard to believe for a Larian game but it's even better than Act 1.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Act 2 takes that tone to a whole new level. Hard to believe for a Larian game but it's even better than Act 1.
I enjoyed the Underdark more than Act 2, which was mostly one dungeon for me. But I skipped the harper questline.

But the visuals, especially in the mindflayer colony at the end were brilliant.

In terms of plot and length, the two acts I've experienced each feel like their own game. It's like playing a trilogy all at once.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I enjoyed the Underdark more than Act 2, which was mostly one dungeon for me. But I skipped the harper questline.

But the visuals, especially in the mindflayer colony at the end were brilliant.

In terms of plot and length, the two acts I've experienced each feel like their own game. It's like playing a trilogy all at once.
One dungeon?

The
Gauntlet of Shar
might be one dungeon but the main map of act 2 is the
Shadow cursed lands,
easily as big as the Act 1 map.

I'd say
the creepy village with the Thorms,
each one of those is like an Auntie Ethel encounter on its own.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom