Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Sunri

Liturgist
I feel like the budget for the game was too much and Larian has too many staff members that do nothing. There is no polish in the end areas many bugs and glitches that show no one playtested or the product was rushed.

Look at BG3 it cost over 100m and DoS2 cost under 3m. They are almost the same size all of the end game cutscenes looked ugly like Da:I animation.

BG3 needs an enhanced edition. The only reason this game even sold was because of marketing it doesn't make any logical sense that it did so well and cost so much. Really strange something shady going on.
so it's like dos the further you go, the more bad shit comes out hehe

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
easily as big as the Act 1 map.
Yeah, but how much time do you really spend there? How much is even necessary?

Again, I skipped the harper camp and all its quests because I was doing an evil run, but I explored the rest of the map and it didn't have half the content compared to even the overland map in Act 1, to say nothing of the Underdark.

The tower was where I spent a lot of time too. Probably more than the main map. But I probably spent too much time exploring every nook and cranny, which really wasn't needed.

Btw, doesn't the game call it "Moonrise Towers" at some point? Yet there's only one...

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Can't solo the last boss fight because of asshole mechanics.

Wasted hours of my life just to find out there are arbitrary time limits and platforming.

0/10 game, will refund and screech about it on the internet.

Sunri

Liturgist
What a gentleman...
L4sWs9K.jpg

Voids

Augur
has anyone tried multiplayer yet? ive been randomly joining lobbies to play and get kicked within 30 seconds usually.

Myshkinn

Barely Literate
I feel like the budget for the game was too much and Larian has too many staff members that do nothing. There is no polish in the end areas many bugs and glitches that show no one playtested or the product was rushed.

Look at BG3 it cost over 100m and DoS2 cost under 3m. They are almost the same size all of the end game cutscenes looked ugly like Da:I animation.

BG3 needs an enhanced edition. The only reason this game even sold was because of marketing it doesn't make any logical sense that it did so well and cost so much. Really strange something shady going on.
It was purely marketing. I am still in Act 1, and I'm having an okay time I guess, but it's not that special. The choices so far don't seem too monumental compared to other RPG's. There are lots of little bugs, and it's not well-optimized. It feels like it would have been a game with really good graphics in like 2010 or something.

I think it was just NPC bandwagoning on Larian putting out the statement about no microtransactions; I mean look at the Steam reviews. That is the bare minimum and it has the masses shidding and pissing their pants about how consoomer friendly Larian is.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Im the only one who thinks that the game is challenging even on normal? sometimes enemies combo me with spells on turn 1 before i can even do anything
It's challenging if you don't min/max your build or buffs, and don't cheese with push mechanics or barrels. It's child's play if you do.

If find it annoying that people will come to the thread and complain how easy the combat is in one sentence, and then list the ways it can be cheesed in the next. Yes, if you place exploding barrels, make strong multiclass builds or otherwise exploit the system to its fullest potential, the game will be easy.

This is not a hardcore strategy game. There's at least two early-game bosses that can simply be pushed down a hole in one turn, and some of the early fights have environment win buttons like barrels. You can eliminate the entire druid grove without engaging in combat at all. You can talk one of the hardest bosses in Act 2 into killing himself and all his men. If you play it like a hardcore strategy game, you'll just end up getting bored.

Part of the problem with Shove out of the box is that it's relatively cheap as a Bonus action, so the temptation is to spam it. There's a mod that makes Shove, Dash and Jump full Actions like in 5e proper (as in Solasta): Fix Bad DM (lol) Most "proper" mod in the game so far.

Some of Swen's "fun" decisions are good, but making Shove a bonus action has the smell of one of the less good ones.
playing monkeh and barbarian and both have better things to do with bonus akshun.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Im the only one who thinks that the game is challenging even on normal? sometimes enemies combo me with spells on turn 1 before i can even do anything
It's challenging if you don't min/max your build or buffs, and don't cheese with push mechanics or barrels. It's child's play if you do.

If find it annoying that people will come to the thread and complain how easy the combat is in one sentence, and then list the ways it can be cheesed in the next. Yes, if you place exploding barrels, make strong multiclass builds or otherwise exploit the system to its fullest potential, the game will be easy.

This is not a hardcore strategy game. There's at least two early-game bosses that can simply be pushed down a hole in one turn, and some of the early fights have environment win buttons like barrels. You can eliminate the entire druid grove without engaging in combat at all. You can talk one of the hardest bosses in Act 2 into killing himself and all his men. If you play it like a hardcore strategy game, you'll just end up getting bored.
Yeah, some of the fights feel more like puzzles where if you solve them they become trivial, and if you don't you get trounced. Not sure I like that kind of design much

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I feel like I've wasted my life getting excited for what ended up being a frustrating let down. The fallout tactics display picture guy was right all along even though it seemed like he was trolling he was actually right.

Oh well product consumed, when do we get next product?
Rogue Trader or Colony Ship likely if you like scifi

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So i caved in and switched to a controller. Sad to say, it is actually much better for navigating the world. Camera is just too shit for mouse and keyboard. I guess i'll just use the mouse during combat. Can't believe after so many years they couldn't come up with anything better. Hell, now that i think of it NWN2 had more options than this.

Ho, and even with the new patch, edge scrolling with mouse is still broken. Every reload, every dialog screen, the thing breaks and i have to pan around with the wsad at least once to make it going again with the mouse. No matter, controller works fine. Sheesh.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here

Yeah, some of the fights feel more like puzzles where if you solve them they become trivial, and if you don't you get trounced. Not sure I like that kind of design much

I agree, I do not like it at all, but this is a Larian thing apparently, another reason I am happy for skipping DOS.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Maybe I'm a retard born with no creativity but I haven't felt that way at all. I've won every fight just by using standard 5e mechanics

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The only instance I've actually noticed any reactivity was when the Tiefling kids recounted what I did for them at the Last Light Inn.

Well that’s a lie. I’ve been the one constantly talking down the game’s C&C (not reactivity, there is a lot of that), but if you got to last light you know that Jaheira reacts differently based on your actions and there will be different characters joining that convo acknowledging or berating your actions. So you had to have seen more C&C than the Tiefling kids.

There’s more unavoidable instances of C&C but that’s one that you cannot have avoided seeing if you got to Last Light.

The game doesn’t have much C&C though, especially in its quest design. It’s often more a question of whether a quest is available at all or not.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

Is this some kind of late game thing? I just started c2 and got to the harper camp and I feel like what you guys are talking about applies to like 1 fight so far.

I don't min max, use push or barrels and I barely even use consumables; I just try to control the action economy and get advantage on attacks.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Maybe I'm a retard born with no creativity but I haven't felt that way at all. I've won every fight just by using standard 5e mechanics

Congrats, I got my poop pushed in by multiple encounters in Act 1, gobbo roof ambush, Gith, Gnolls. To be fair I was running around probably underleveled for some of these, but all of it is close to the start.

I think I was so convinced the game would be face roll easy that I honestly got surprised there are harder encounters.

And also here is another gem from the steam forum:

Untitled.jpg

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
There are numerous ways of exploiting the game's systems to make combat far easier:
  1. Explosive barrels, both environmental and portable
  2. Deficient AI in combat, especially pathfinding issues
  3. Grease spell/bottles
  4. Shoving or otherwise knocking enemies into an abyss (or at least a long fall)
  5. Stealth in combination with a means of luring one enemy at a time (there is a cantrip for this)
  6. Levels in different character classes; particular combinations are overpowered
  7. Replacing a party member, who has expended spells and other abilities, with a fresh one from camp
  8. Long rest spam due to plentiful camp supplies
I refrained from utilizing these exploits and added a further self-imposed limitation of not having any party member's HP drop to zero, but played on the normal difficulty level through emerging from the Sanctum back to the Goblin Camp, with my characters less than 100 XP from 5th level, and confronting the mob of humanoids awaiting me. As detailed before, 5th level characters gain immense power --- whether a second attack per round on warrior types, level 3 spells on mages who can immediately cast 3 of them between long rests (1 via arcane recovery), or level 3 spells (chiefly Spirit Guardian) for clerics --- so I upped the difficulty to hard and have still generally been having an easy time of it through the remainder of Act I, though there are certain exceptions.

With initiative being what it is, and the plethora of special abilities that Larian granted to virtually all enemies, you might be experiencing terrible luck in a fight, if enemies launch several powerful attacks before your characters can act. For many fights, it is possible to determine they will occur and position your characters favorably, or sneak attack the enemy.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Is this some kind of late game thing? I just started c2 and got to the harper camp and I feel like what you guys are talking about applies to like 1 fight so far.

I don't min max, use push or barrels and I barely even use consumables; I just try to control the action economy and get advantage on attacks.
No, pretty much from the start, though we all have different definitions of what is a puzzle fight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom