Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The problem is zoomer/coomer mentality. You need instant gratification - usually sexual. You need everyone to be a super special snowflake.
MCA did say that it's okay to appeal to the player's vanity, but I have the feeling that most game devs have gone a bit too far. It's okay to treat the player as special. It's not okay to give them instant gratification and snowflake treatment. I agree.

Herumor

Scholar
wtf bros spying on me with tadpoles and shit

nzFNG2N.png
I think your scene bugged out, you're supposed to get some kind of portal window from which they're looking into the Astral Prison.

Shrimp

Liturgist
The uniqueness is most of the problem. You'll see later on about that. But that's a byproduct of this being an effectively higher level campaign than BG1. BG1 capped you at what 5E would consider level 6 or 7. (In my estimation.) Each of them has to be more interesting in order to hold the interest of players for their quests over a long time, and dealing with powerful enemies in the late game. Some normal character isn't going to have that.

With how much Larian borderd on bancrutpcy in the last 10 years, I imagine they wanted to go all in on the epic feel because no one knew this game would be that popular.
Going "basic" and then deliver on the "high level feel" in a potential but maybe unlikely sequel, probably would've been the higher risk.
I just don't think 'basic' stories is how they want to operate any more. Modern day (Kickstarter era and forwards) Larian games have been pretty grandiose.
The alternative is they simply don't know how to create longer stories with a smaller scope, but honestly I'm leaning towards the former since they (as far as I know) have had different writers for all their recent games. I imagine the scale and scope of the story ultimately is decided by Swen himself.

Sunri

Liturgist
Im the only one who thinks that the game is challenging even on normal? sometimes enemies combo me with spells on turn 1 before i can even do anything

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I just don't think 'basic' stories is how they want to operate any more.
It's not how ANYONE wants to operate anymore. Especially not big studios.

It's about dopamine. When it comes to high budget entertainment, you're competing with The Avengers, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings. People are already used to epic stories. Their brains are used to it. You just have to keep going bigger until people are sick to death of it.

AAA games are spending big money, and they're not going to do that to tell a small, forgettable story that will get lost in people's memories. Call it Michael Bay fantasy all you like, but you will remember dragons chasing a squid ship a lot more readily than Solasta's intro - a game whose title I struggle to remember. And you're going to buy the game you remember.

Even the haters here 'bought' the game, whether they spent money on it or not. Pirates have to spend time and bandwidth to download it and then time to play it. Why? Because it's worth it to them. Would it be if it were boring, unmemorable and didn't inspire some level of curiosity? I doubt it.

Orion

Cipher
Im the only one who thinks that the game is challenging even on normal? sometimes enemies combo me with spells on turn 1 before i can even do anything
If you run into fights unprepared and are stingy with consumables you can definitely get into tough situations. I'm only almost done with act 1, but I've definitely had to avoid triggering some fights because I didn't think I could win.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
This game is ahead of its time

Yet another sign the game was written by perverts.

Minor spoiler: there's a dryad hooker outside Baldur's Gate who ends up seeing a mindflayer. If she survives the encounter, her first response is to say how horny the thing's appearance makes her.

This is idiotic writing, written by some zoomer pervert. A mindflayer is not sexy. They're brain-eating squids with no sex organs. Their procreation is sticking a parasite in your eye that will eat your brains and transform your body.

This sort of perversion only happens in an age of total decadence, which I guess 5E technically is according to its twisted lore, but any medieval fantasy setting is really not. AFAIK, Baldur's Gate doesn't have running water, and you're so poor and useless you need to sell your body to live. Your first response to seeing a brain-eating alien should not be to get wet, you stupid cunt.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This sort of perversion only happens in an age of total decadence, which I guess 5E technically is according to its twisted lore, but any medieval fantasy setting is really not.
Hmmmm, that makes me think that we are the bad guys, stopping the event that would start a new (better) era. That's my headcanon now. Great subversion Swen.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Some random thoughts:

Bane status is extremely helpful. It has saved me in many cases.

Stunning people is extremely powerful. You can kill most powerful enemies without them being able to do anything.

Sussur blooms are funny to have on your melee guys, and then closing in on enemy mages.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Stunning people is extremely powerful.
Yes!
Sussur blooms are funny to have on your melee guys, and then closing in on enemy mages.
I think they wilt away as soon as you hit sunlight. It says so in their description. But they're a pretty fun mechanic. Wish more RPGs had this.
That's a shame. I didn't read that, but it makes sense. I'm in the Underdark, and it has been pretty straightforward.

Minor spoiler: there's a dryad hooker outside Baldur's Gate who ends up seeing a mindflayer. If she survives the encounter, her first response is to say how horny the thing's appearance makes her.

This is idiotic writing, written by some zoomer pervert. A mindflayer is not sexy. They're brain-eating squids with no sex organs. Their procreation is sticking a parasite in your eye that will eat your brains and transform your body.

This sort of perversion only happens in an age of total decadence, which I guess 5E technically is according to its twisted lore, but any medieval fantasy setting is really not. AFAIK, Baldur's Gate doesn't have running water, and you're so poor and useless you need to sell your body to live. Your first response to seeing a brain-eating alien should not be to get wet, you stupid cunt.
Dryads are monsters though

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
It's challenging if you don't min/max your build or buffs, and don't cheese with push mechanics or barrels. It's child's play if you do.

If find it annoying that people will come to the thread and complain how easy the combat is in one sentence, and then list the ways it can be cheesed in the next. Yes, if you place exploding barrels, make strong multiclass builds or otherwise exploit the system to its fullest potential, the game will be easy.

This is not a hardcore strategy game. There's at least two early-game bosses that can simply be pushed down a hole in one turn, and some of the early fights have environment win buttons like barrels. You can eliminate the entire druid grove without engaging in combat at all. You can talk one of the hardest bosses in Act 2 into killing himself and all his men. If you play it like a hardcore strategy game, you'll just end up getting bored.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
I feel like the budget for the game was too much and Larian has too many staff members that do nothing. There is no polish in the end areas many bugs and glitches that show no one playtested or the product was rushed.

Look at BG3 it cost over 100m and DoS2 cost under 3m. They are almost the same size all of the end game cutscenes looked ugly like Da:I animation.

BG3 needs an enhanced edition. The only reason this game even sold was because of marketing it doesn't make any logical sense that it did so well and cost so much. Really strange something shady going on.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
I have not allowed myself to use the push mechanic too much. It would make things easier, but
I think there are some challenging fights. I'm not min/maxing, and just picking whatever feats/spells I think sound good for each character. I'm not abusing shove mechanics, and I haven't picked up a single barrel. I have had some unlucky streaks when it comes to die rolls, but in general, good positioning, use of spells, and scrolls should serve you well.

I have on many occasions thought to myself that I must be shit at the game, considering how easy it seems to some people (and you can certainly chess it), but the game does a decent job of offering a challenge at the start. I'm in the Underdark now, though, but it has become much easier. Once you get extra attacks, better spells, and survivability, you will see the difference.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
What do you think Steam is?
I'm playing it on GoG, though.
They have stats for that too if you're using their launcher to play the game. Either the Lardlauncher or the gog launcher

I'm using the GOG version and no launcher.

Many games have included telemetry (sending data back to the devs) even without using third party apps like steam. No idea if BG3 has native telemetry or uses steam for it, though.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Beat the game. The ending sucks ass. It's ME 3 level of bad.

Whatever you do beforehand barely matters because every choices you make in the ending is almost the same no matter what you do during your playthrough.

There is no ending slides. On top of that, you can't even fucking talking to your companions before the final batter and after the final battle. The ones aren't in your team simply disappears, and never show up again. And even the ones in your team won't necessarily get a resolution to their arc. Gale's personal quest was straight up left unfinished in my playthrough becase the game never asks me what to do with the crown. Shadoweart just stands there the whole time and says nothing. Only La'zel gets a proper ending.

The emperor is a fucking joke, if you don't agree with him he just go fight for the enemy for no reason.
No way you can't even talk to your compaions before the end.. That's the ONE thing that all RPG out there do.
You can only talk to the ones currently in your team. Others just disappear. You don't even see them during the whole ending.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Nah, there's plenty of challenge in it, though it's obviously build dependent to an extent. (Had the same thing happen of being near instantly wiped because of bad rolls, lol.)

There's just a weird trend in games where people boast about games being easy even if they're struggling with them, and while it's not exactly new it seemed to get a lot worse after the Souls games became a big thing.

tl;dr Don't worry, you're far from alone.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Enjoying pootling around in the Underdark a lot. One of the themes there is tremendously fitting and very reminiscent of Kiril Pokrovsky's melodic and rhythmic sensibility.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Anyone else having problems where the game isn't utilising their ram and suffering for it? It's only using 4 out of my 32 gb of ram and I'm having issues with cutscenes not having geometry. Dunno what the problem is. I have a good ssd as well.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
The only reason this game even sold was because of marketing it doesn't make any logical sense that it did so well and cost so much.
Mocap and voice acting, plus much higher quality assets than DOS2. BG3 was shot and reshot, acted and reacted. They recast and reacted an entire character. All the characters appear to have had less drastic rewrites. The actors had to be there in person and wear mocap suits or use facial mocap for certain scenes. Questlines were written, implemented, scraped and then rewritten and reimplemented.

And the intro video alone probably cost over 10 million.

I'm not discounting wasteful spending. It probably happened. But some of the cost is obvious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom