Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
Yeah it's retarded. I didn't blame Larian but whoever wants aliens and spaceships in fantasy is a mongoloid.
That would be TSR back in the 80s with Spelljammer.

It's like you're watching a Star Wars movie and complaining about there being glowing swords and magic powers in your sci fi. :roll:
No because that's Sci Fi.

Where do these aliens come from? If they have the technology to travel from distant planets, why don't they have other alien technology? Why don't they have alien weaponry? Where are their guns and laser weapons

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
This isn't fantasy. This is some headache-inducing capeshit.
And what would you call wandering through a dungeon with demons, portals to other dimensions, strange monsters, dryad sex slaves and cloning vats - culminating in an epic wizard battle where thieves and wizards are all instakilled by dozens of spells?

How do you think that would have looked in a cinematic?

Get over yourself. This is BG3, not some generic fantasy schlock indie game where the dev kids himself into thinking he's going to sucker players in with a slow start.

I dunno man, it looks and sounds a hell of a lot more like capeshit than BG1/2. The BG2 intro cinematics are about as far from capeshit as it gets even accounting for technical limitations of the time.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
The main mindflayer story as it's executed is pretty terrible, but I think the premise could be interesting if it was written better and leaned into the horror aspect.
The wheels kind of fall off the wagon in Act 3, as the believability of "The Emperor" being a thing is close to zero - simply due to power level and accomplishments, not the actual existence of such a thing. I can only put up with it because I am trying to mentally retcon him as The Adversary.

Before that, it's ok. Wandering through the mindflayer colony at the end of Act 2 was horrific enough, as was the pit they dumped prisoners in earlier on.

TBH, this feels like the stories of 3 games condensed (and not very condensed either in terms of playtime) into a single game. Each act winds up having its own plot structure with its own twists and turns.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
Calling the "world building" of a game set in am existing decades old setting "vanilla".
Game falls apart by the end - Exactly as I predicted.
Game is pozzed, albeit not frontloaded with it - As I predicted
Game has shit writing - As I predicted
Cuck Squad immediately assembles to cope and seethe - Exactly as happened with Wrath
Let me translate that from retard speak to English:

- I personally dislike the end of the game
- It does not comport with my edgy 4chan alt-right i-hate-niggers ideology
- I pretend that constantly spamming "shit writing" qualifies as objective criticism
- Everyone who disagrees with me is a cuck (wow, what a creative insult)

Good grief, grow up.

"Fedora Master" is well known to be a bag of holding for absolute shit takes. It's a fruitless endeavor engaging with him.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
Suspension of disbelief is the avoidance—often described as willing—of critical thinking and logic in understanding something that is unreal or impossible in reality, such as something in a work of speculative fiction, in order to believe it for the sake of enjoying its narrative.

This 5e shit is pushing passed the suspension of disbelief. It's just too bloated and not focused. We're mixing high fantasy, fairy tales, cthulu shit, sci if. Throwing too much shit at the wall

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
Aliens in fantasy setting is indeed incredibly retarded.

This game does not align with my basic bitch fantasy preference henceforth it is "incredibly retarded".

It has also nothing to do with 5E. Spelljammer is a thing since (?) AD&D. There were space Aliens and their spacecraft in BG2 Throne of Bhaal. Helm's Keep had a whole floor dedicated to them.

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wouldn't mind the tadpole thing if it didn't interrupt half the conversations in the game with *The tadpole writhes in your mind, searching, probing, reaching out. It feels large, throbbing, sated. Content. Peckish. Smug.*

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
This 2e shit is pushing passed the suspension of disbelief. It's just too bloated and not focused. We're mixing high fantasy, fairy tales, cthulu shit, sci if. Throwing too much shit at the wall
ftfy.

If only TSR hadn't tainted Baldur's Gate with this modern nonsense back in (checks notes) 1989!

dukeofwoodberry

Educated

Where do these aliens come from? If they have the technology to travel from distant planets, why don't they have other alien technology? Why don't they have alien weaponry? Where are their guns and laser weapons

This game does not align with my basic bitch fantasy preference henceforth it is "incredibly retarded".

Just wow.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It would be okay to mix s-f and fantasy if there was a proper rationale for it. Like in Vance's Dying Earth, where you've had aeons of time with numerous star-spanning civilizations rising and falling and numerous whacky civilizations based on magic rising and falling, with layers of archaeological residue of both left hanging around on ancient soil, saturated by countless billions of ghosts of the past.

It still beggars belief that nobody's made a proper CRPG in that setting, it has all the scope for "anything can happen," in a context that's perfect for it, plus you have the dark melancholy of a world that could be snuffed out at any moment.

Herumor

Scholar
The main mindflayer story as it's executed is pretty terrible, but I think the premise could be interesting if it was written better and leaned into the horror aspect.
I think it'd be even better if you had post-game content for ceremorphosis ending and had to actually struggle somewhat with what you've become rather than just make your way through the world with little to no care.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In

>Why do beings with psionic powers not use lasers or gunpowder? Why do they not just magically invent technology they have no means or natural need to develop?
A mystery.

Nautilloids are also effectively a lost technology to the mindflayers. It's perfectly possible that some were/are better armed, or that this craft was armed, but too damaged or too lacking in crew (see the dead mindflayers in the intro) to mount an effective defense.

Originally, there were some sort of turrets firing from the deck in early access, though what exactly they fired is a mystery.

Spelljammer nautiloids had:
3 ballistae
1 catapult
1 jettison
Piercing ram

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah it's retarded. I didn't blame Larian but whoever wants aliens and spaceships in fantasy is a mongoloid.
Yes, it's stupid. Yes, I don't like it. But that ship has sailed almost half a century ago. You can even find several of these space-ships docked in BG2.
  • One is the planar sphere in The Slums
  • Another is docked in the far east of Ust Natha, with its pilot standing outside of it.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Also FYI 'Krull' is a perfect example of D&D space-guns and space-ships and it's still a really good adventure movie. Watch it!

Eisenheinrich

Scholar

Just wow.

Bro you make stuff up in your head as an excuse to shit over someting you're clearly not familar with. Just because you think of "Laserguns" and "Spacecraft" when you think of Aliens, doesn't mean that's the only way planar beings can be depicted. Much like your stance on High Fantasy, it's pretty much fueld by a mild neuroticism in which everything has to be a certain way or done by the books to be "correct". As a creative myself, I don't have a iota respect for such a mindset. It's a recipe for creative standstill. Concerning "Githyanki" technology:

"Raiding ships consisted of different kinds of flying ships operated by spelljamming helms, whose technology the githyanki obtained from the mind flayers' nautiloids.[25] Typical githyanki fleets consisted of small astral skiffs, capable of carrying about a dozen passengers; larger astral brigs that were more heavily armed and could carry up to 60 passengers; and a few planar raiders, their largest ships that could transport up to 100 passengers and served as their mobile headquarters during the raid. Each ship was usually piloted by a gish.[37][38] Supreme commanders usually rode their red dragons into battle"

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Here is an idea guys. What if the game had Ending slides or an actual ending? Instead of 1 minute + of random peasants (all nigs and women) killing disabled Illithids oh and after showing all the disgusting mutt peasants it says "This is what you fought for you're a hero!" the ending CERTAINLY did not make me feel very fucking heroic. It made me feel like a bad person.

Kiste

Augur

Right, because anything involving other planets /planes of existence and so on is by definition SciFi? Are you retarded?

You better never read anything by Raymond Feist, or shit like The Death Gate Cycle or Dragonriders of Pern. Or play Planescape: Torment for that matter. Your head might explode.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Sera-Dragon-Age-Inquisition-video-games-38806654-760-1040.jpg

A thing is for certain feels nice for once have attractive elves.

Bioware abbandoned those

shart.png

Basically the same person, Shart just had lip reduction surgery, dyed her hair and put on some makeup.

Orud

Scholar
Patron

How is the Goa'uld staff weapon any different from a rod- or staff 'of firebolt'? It's all about framing.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Yeah but I was talking about The Adversary.
Whatever your opinion of The Adversary, its much better than what's actually in the game.

Major spoiler:
"The Emperor" is a mindflayer that was a male adventurer from Baldur's Gate who got turned into a mindflayer, but somehow (game doesn't say) he retained his identity and broke free of the Elder Brain. Then he led a life in Baldur's Gate feeding on criminals in the night. He amassed a fortune behind the scenes and became known as "The Emperor". He later got re-enthralled by the elder brain, but then broke free again. Somehow he has a bunch of intellect devourers that work for him, as well as access to ancient mindflayer larvae. The game doesn't say how.

IMO, he was meant to be The Adversary, but they didn't want to pay royalties to someone, or had some other copyright issue. As is, the he's a discount version of The Adversary, and makes little sense.

Anyway, the point I think the other poster was making about Alhoons was that mindflayers can and do break free of elder brains. That much is 2E lore.
Renegade mind flayers are a thing in 5E

5E isn't D&D. It's DANDINO and refer to my signature. DANDINO is fan rules written by morons.

5E is garbage, we established that.
Renegade mindflayers were a thing in 2E. Menzoberranzan, 1992.

Forgotten Degeneracy is rejected due to the fact it is degenerate. Going purely by the monster manuals for the rest of AD&D 2E there is no such thing as renegades.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom