Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Be Kind Rewind

Educated
Zionist Agent
So all this kvetching and screeching is about one tranny? Holy smokes are you a snowflake
PSA: This is Braunken, a brown gibs goblin incel basement dweller that is jerking his mutilated micropenis so hard to the cringe sex scenes and politics of BG3 he's still in act one. Since he's masturbating heavier to this game than he was that time he read a book by Mohsin Hamid he's now soliciting normal people here to tell hem about all the trannies in the game so he can 100% sucking all of their cocks. When he asks you to write him a tranny guide don't oblige him.

turkishronin

Arcane
The Codex has a habit of people acting much more hostile towards games than they actually are and focusing on criticizing things about them rather than praising them.

But the reason people are able to criticize it is because they bought it and played it, usually through most of the game if not completing it. And someone who played through 40 hours of something definitely didn't hate it to the very core of their being, and were probably actually quite enjoying themselves most of that time.

You are going to see the same thing here shortly with Starfield. Bethesda being one of the studios you are supposed to ritually hate on the codex, despite playing most of their games.

That isn't a defense against the criticisms of the game in this thread though. Most of the criticisms I have seen in this thread I agree with and think are pretty valid.
Yes, if you genuinely hate the game and everything about it, there is no reason to spend a lot of time criticizing and arguing about it, you just call it dogshit and move on. Most fierce discussions happen around popular games that have both good and bad parts, and overall provide enough fun for even haters to be able to play through them.

Games like this are always polarizing, because you always have people who are like

"I like this game, but it could be so much better, I better focus on shitting on everything bad about it, so hopefully the next RPG produced has less of the bad stuff and more of the good"

vs

"I like this game, it could be so much better, but I better simp for it completely, or the devs might be discouraged and we will only get more CoD n shit in the future instead of RPGs like this"

Once these two groups clash and the flamewar starts, you also have trolls and shitposters join both sides for fun, even people who didn't actually play the game feel the need to add their "opinion" because they want to be a part of the popular thing™, and the thread quickly devolves into a beautiful shitshow like this one.
Ok, let's not delude ourselves thinking anything we say here has any bearing on the development of a future RPG with the budget and scope of BG3. Anyone who decides to participate here is autistically screeching into the void one way or another. With that said I'm still gonna be shitting on the writing because that's my opinion and go fuck yourself.
Didn't one of BG3 writers tweet about lurking codex?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
So all this kvetching and screeching is about one tranny? Holy smokes are you a snowflake
PSA: This is Braunken, a brown gibs goblin incel basement dweller that is jerking his mutilated micropenis so hard to the cringe sex scenes and politics of BG3 he's still in act one. Since he's masturbating heavier to this game than he was that time he read a book by Mohsin Hamid he's now soliciting normal people here to tell hem about all the trannies in the game so he can 100% sucking all of their cocks. When he asks you to write him a tranny guide don't oblige him.
since you're into cringe fanfiction writing, maybe go to reddit or whatever place likes that stuff

dbx

Arcane
Patron
People go and on about Astarion and Gale trying to buttfuck you constantly but the one I've had a problem with is Halsin. For example he just said to me he doesn't want to join the party for something but someone. Why would there be dialogue like that before a rejection prompt? Just because I want him in my party as a spore druid doesn't mean I want him in my ass.
I got a completely out-of-the blue gay invitation from Halsin at the end of act 2 in moonrise towers. For reference, I had him as a party member exactly once for the purpose of completing a specific quest where he needs to be present. It's so ridiculous that the whole romance system has to be bugged.
Yeah I got that to, but worse, at one point I got sucked in the emperor astral prism only to find him naked asking me to fuck him lol.

dbx

Arcane
Patron
If you look at all of the game elements individually there's many obvious weak points, but personally I haven't had as much fun with a game as I have just going through all of the Act 1 and Act 2 encounters and roleplaying my way through them to resolve them in different ways, even if the changes are mostly cosmetic. The pacing between encounters and the overall balance between exploration, combat and dialogue just feels right and it reminds me of what I like about BG1.

Maybe the Act 3 encounters won't be as good; I'll have to see when I get there.
Act 3 feels rushed and unfinished. Especially the sound department of it. Some sequences have literally 2 sound channels playing, and it feel too "silent" while you're suposedly falling from the sky

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If you pick up the Act 2 big bad's journal from his bedroom, where he reveals what the Absolute is, and his plans are...nothing happens. :outrage:
Another such example, spoilers regarding the Thorm storyline:

On the rooftop of the Tollhouse, I found a book sitting by a skeleton. This book mentioned that Thorms' secret is hidden at the bottom of the "sepulchre". I already had received hints that I need to do something to make Ketheric vulnerable, so my gamer's intuition made me dash directly for the Mausoleum, skipping the Distillery and House of Healing. I had still done the Tax Collector before the Mausoleum.

Upon reaching the Mausoleum I solved the simple puzzle there, from which I learned that Ketheric has a daughter named Isobel. I don't know if this should have been news for my character, but it was for me. However, there was no new dialogue with Isobel.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Seeing Laezel's voice actress makes me wish they had a second female companion npc voiced by her, then it could have been modelled after her

:shredder:

>intimacy coordinators to make sure we feel comfortable

How about doing your job? Imagine working on an oil rig or a construction site and having someone specifically there to wipe your ass and see if baby need a bottle.

Gosh, should I do the thing I was hired to do? Wow, let me think.

It was made a thing because some boomers in Hollywood couldn't behave.

BTW that interview is interesting for some of the details that slip through in the conversation between two normies.
- Voice actors often do voice acting for videogames without having any idea about the general plot of the game.
- The Bear Sex influenced hype in normie circles substantially, something both of them agree on. I found that interesting, my impression was this was something that would only influence the zoomer crowd.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Does anyone know how to edit companions (hirelings at best) or how to play with custom characters?
Maybe some mod or something? I can't seem to find it.
I mean some *other* way than the one with running 4 instances of the game.
Here:

Can you make custom companions in this game if the stock NPC's gayness is too much to bear?

Speaking of overpowered, I'm reposting the exploit for a full custom party: https://youtu.be/ILW0FDkJcCs

Rhobar121

Scholar
People go and on about Astarion and Gale trying to buttfuck you constantly but the one I've had a problem with is Halsin. For example he just said to me he doesn't want to join the party for something but someone. Why would there be dialogue like that before a rejection prompt? Just because I want him in my party as a spore druid doesn't mean I want him in my ass.
I got a completely out-of-the blue gay invitation from Halsin at the end of act 2 in moonrise towers. For reference, I had him as a party member exactly once for the purpose of completing a specific quest where he needs to be present. It's so ridiculous that the whole romance system has to be bugged.
Yeah I got that to, but worse, at one point I got sucked in the emperor astral prism only to find him naked asking me to fuck him lol.
In the future, don't choose dodgy-sounding dialogue options, you goddamn degenerate. I assume you did because I didn't see that scene.

Crichton

Prophet
I'm about to start finishing up act 1 with:

Gale PC (respeced to Bard (swords))
Shadowheart
Karlach (respeced to Paladin (vengeance))
Lae'zel

I've rescued the Sirfneblin, cleared out the Duergar and am eyeing up the Githyanki (who wasted my level 4 party, we'll see what they look like at level 6)

On the plus side, I want to chime in in support of the writing, which has some real highs:

When you first take the boat to Grymforge, this exchange: (paraphrasing)

Duergar 1: There's trouble with Thursinn!
Duergar 2: Let me guess, Thursinn finally choked on 'True-Soul' Nere's prick!

is fantastic. It sounds like a real exchange, it's funny and without Obsidian/InExile style huge blobs of text, it communicates to the player:

1) the relationship between the Duergar cultists and the mercenaries
2) the power dynamic between Nere and Thursinn (sp)

Even though the player knows next-to-nothing about Nere and this is the first he's heard of Thursinn (or whatever her name is), he immediately gets it.

The faggots at Bethesda/Obsidian/InExile/Owlcat/Bioware/whoevererthefuckelse wish they had the guts to write like this.

On the minus side; I like the anti-Bioware/Obsidian 'do it your way' approach, but:

After rescuing the Sirfneblin, I found myself just short of level 6. And I had a deal with the Duergar Mercenaries, and they'd held up their end. I wouldn't normally think about offing them, but... I was just short of level 6, and it was obvious that those NPCs represented enough XP to get there. In a Bioware/Obsidian game, they just would have disappeared after our deal was concluded, or you wouldn't get any XP for killing them. Here I harvested them for XP with no consequences (so far). I don't really like the player being put in that position, where doing the normal 'non-gamey' thing is a hindrance.

dbx

Arcane
Patron
In the future, don't choose dodgy-sounding dialogue options, you goddamn degenerate. I assume you did because I didn't see that scene.
There wasn't any, just after finding his lair I think I answered some of his dialogue telling him I kinda felt sorry for him, and that was it

AwesomeButton

Patron
One thing that I find shocking is how Larian has managed to drum into the public the idea that BG3 has created and/or reinvented role-playing games.

After talking to some people I noticed some percieved as if they were totally revolutionary concepts things like branching quest trees, interparty banter and relationships, an applied ruleset where you can see dice rolls and things like that which are the bread and butter of many many RPGs.

At one point someone whose experience in RPGs is WOW, DDO and Neverwinter Online said that hopefully this is the path that RPGs are going to follow from now as if everything made BG3 was just primitive garbage made for simple people when they have been like this for 35 years.

I have a movie recommendation for you, if you haven't seen it.

planet-of-the-apes-laugh.gif

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My group has now explored all of the underdark and finally returned to the surface. I have the sneaking suspicion that we've done things out of order. Immediately upon returning to the main map we killed the hag in one turn, then went to the goblin camp, made everyone hostile and faffed about for a while using goblins as improvised weapons against other goblins and stuff like that, because they couldn't do shit to us and we had to entertain ourselves somehow. Oops.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Same here. On both counts. It's absurd :lol:

Last edited:

0wca

Learned
My group has now explored all of the underdark and finally returned to the surface. I have the sneaking suspicion that we've done things out of order. Immediately upon returning to the main map we killed the hag in one turn, then went to the goblin camp, made everyone hostile and faffed about for a while using goblins as improvised weapons against other goblins and stuff like that, because they couldn't do shit to us and we had to entertain ourselves somehow. Oops.
There's no such thing as 'do things out of order' in a proper RPG.

AwesomeButton

Patron
also heard act 2 is supossedly a drop off but it's as good as act 1 so far just tonally different(which is a good thing)
I have some major objections to Act 2, as I'm nearing its ending.

I think it's a mistake that its main storyline is so heavily scripted as it is. It creates problems for replayability. On subsequent playthroughs the player will have some important reveals already spoiled for him.

Connected to the afirementioned problem, the map design is much more linear than it was in Act 1.

Act 2 very much feels like a game within the game BG3. The link between the region's problems with the main plot, ergo with the Adventuring Party's problem, is very loosely established. It's like everyone at one point or another says "Oh you know what, the answer to my personal issue just happens to lie at Moonrise Towers. "Watta coincidence, innit?"

Somehow you get Moonrise Towers as the single point of abduction of:
- A Gnome elder
- A Duke of Baldur's Gate
- Unknown number of Tiefling refugees
- god knows what else, I forget.

My overall impression is that a bunch of sidequests were produced, and later had to somehow be connected to Moonrise Towers in order to give motivation to the party to go there. But the DMs overdid it. I don't need 5 quests, including one companion quest pointing to the same location.

Lastly, I'm noting the tendency of playing with a custom character essentially spoiling the stories of party members. If I've done someone's personal quest, wouldn't I know everything about this character if I later play as him/her? Was it a mistake making NPC playable as main character?

Last edited:

Zeltak

Educated
Patron
Village Idiot
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Honeymoon period over for AwesomeButton?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom