Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Rhobar121

Scholar
also heard act 2 is supossedly a drop off but it's as good as act 1 so far just tonally different(which is a good thing)
I have some major objections to Act 2, as I'm nearing its ending.

I think it's a mistake that its main storyline is so heavily scripted as it is. It creates problems for replayability. On subsequent playthroughs the player will have some important reveals already spoiled for him.

Connected to the afirementioned problem, the map design is much more linear than it was in Act 1.

Act 2 very much feels like a game within the game BG3. The link between the region's problems and the main plot, with the party's problem, is very loosely established. It's like everyone at one point or another says "Oh you know what, the answer to my personal issues just happens to lie in Moonrise Towers. "Watta coincidence, innit?"

Somehow you get Moonrise Towers as the single point of abduction of:
- A Gnome elder
- A Duke of Baldur's Gate
- Unknown number of Tiefling refugees
- god knows what else, I forget.

My overall impression is that a bunch of sidequests were produced, and later had to somehow be connected to Moonrise Towers in order to give motivation to the party to go there. But the DMs overdid it. I don't need 5 quests, including one companion quest pointing to the same location.

Lastly, I'm noting the tendency of playing with a custom character essentially spoiling the stories of party members. If I've done someone's personal quest, wouldn't I know everything about this character if I later play as him/her? Was it a mistake making NPC playable as main character?
Story-wise, it makes sense.
This is the main headquarters that contains the source of tadpoles that they use to infect prisoners.
Where else would they like to bring all the captives?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Codextards still crying BG3 is the biggest CRPG success ever.

Tears on the cuckdex will be mined for years, god bless Larian.
Your constant Larian/Swen worshipping shitposting has gotten old a long time ago, dude.
To be honest, I even like his retarded rp. This thread would be pretty boring without his attempts to piss off a grumpy morons.

My headcannon is that is real Swen because it makes me chuckle every time I think about it.

There's tons of posts against companions in the Steam forums. I have to say I kinda agree. Companions are really weak, but then again, I tend to dislike companions in every game I play, but when you find Withers you can get hirelings, so that could solve the issue, probably? It really feels like Shadowheart and Froggy are the only companions who aren't pure shit. I'm mostly going with what Larian probably intended as the canon party of me - Shadow - Gale - Astarion; Froggy gets swapped in or out depending on how hard certain encounters get (ai REALLY loves to kill Gale as soon as possible). Karlach has seen some use too. But other than that, I'm not really impressed, but as I said, I tend to hate companions so this isn't really an issue for me.

I have a 2060, and I know the game reccomends a 2060 Super, but the game itself is giving me Ultra as a suggested config when I hit the detect button, and I'm still getting some framerate issues while going through gfx intense areas, so I hope future patches do something when it comes to this.

Also, controller input doesn't seem to be working properly right now.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
More of a moron who hasn't even read his own contract and then wonders that he gets his ass fucked every time.
Isn't that a typical thing to happen to low-education low-qualifications people. :lol:

Wyll is a walking caricature. I keep wondering and can't settle on whether his authors were idiots, or very smart.

EDIT:

Completely accurate description, too.

That guys seems to be the writer of Wyll. What a surprise.

So, it's idiots then.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Shadowheart's quest ending hits hard :greatjob:
No it fuckin' doesn't, I just did it 5 minutes ago.
I had to fight Viconia.

:negative:

And turns out to get the dramatic option of sparing her you need to use LETHAL DAMAGE. I think. You don't get it you use non-lethal damage, the game treats her as dead.
This non-lethal system is garbage, it's half-implemented.

tbh I thought the whole Blade of Frontiers shtick was kinda like him bluffing all the time, but it turns out the guy is serious and he is some kind of local legend. He really feels like a Yamcha though.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
r/BaldursGate3 - Excuse me, Halsin, wtf???
"Phaedre"? "Chaulssin"?

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My group has now explored all of the underdark and finally returned to the surface. I have the sneaking suspicion that we've done things out of order. Immediately upon returning to the main map we killed the hag in one turn, then went to the goblin camp, made everyone hostile and faffed about for a while using goblins as improvised weapons against other goblins and stuff like that, because they couldn't do shit to us and we had to entertain ourselves somehow. Oops.
There's no such thing as 'do things out of order' in a proper RPG.
That's a very nice sentiment but it doesn't apply to any CRPG ever made.

Sunri

Liturgist
I had to fight Viconia.

And turns out to get the dramatic option of sparing her you need to use LETHAL DAMAGE. I think. You don't get it you use non-lethal damage, the game treats her as dead.
I just beaten her.normally and told her to fuck.off

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I had to fight Viconia.

Oh yeah, I used lethal damage and got the dialogue. In which I killed her, r00fles!

But I meant Shadowheart
getting her memories back, killing her parents as Shar commanded, then having memories wiped again

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
Man, doing the act 2 final boss fight as a lvl 7-8 team on tactician is absolutely rough. Nevertheless, it all has been doable so far. No powergaming, just roleplaying.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
tbh I thought the whole Blade of Frontiers shtick was kinda like him bluffing all the time, but it turns out the guy is serious and he is some kind of local legend. He really feels like a Yamcha though.
it's kinda what he was in the ea

just a full on fraud liar

it was imo much more amusing than like the most boring good guy imaginable

i fed him full of tadpoles and
convinced him to sell his soul to mizora

AwesomeButton

Patron

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
One thing that I find shocking is how Larian has managed to drum into the public the idea that BG3 has created and/or reinvented role-playing games.
At the minimum, Baldur's Gate 3 has led audiences to reject the obsolete, outdated Bioware-style Real-Time-with-Pause combat system, which was only implemented due to technological limitations, and instead to embrace an innovative, cutting-edge turn-based combat system, which will become the new standard in RPGs. :incline:

I hope Larian releases good mod tools and some autists recreate BG1&2.
Larian should contract another company to recreate BG1&2 using the game engine of the original Baldur's Gate 3. :positive:

AwesomeButton

Patron
Honeymoon period over for AwesomeButton?
I was always balanced. You were always trying too hard to be a cool codexboy.

So, what is the codex consensus? Is this game good? It's pure decline? Kingcomrade?
Best cRPG in a long time
BG3 is an unheard-of case of a Codex-worthy mainstream RPG :

* Reactivity to class/race -- unparalleled
* Evil path / multiple outcomes to quests -- at least viable, if not on par with the good path, the verdict is pending
* "Roll with failed checks" gameplay - provided! Show me another RPG that does that, in the last 20 years.
* Killable NPCs, including plot-important ones -- check.
The above sum up as "Choice & Consequence", a term coined here afaik. And then you also have:
* Combat -- D&D mechanics and monsters! Yes, 5e, but that's mandated by WotC :trollface: The worst I've heard so far about the combat is that Tactician needs balancing, which is achievable with mods.
* Exploration -- check.
Bonus:
* Can play as a tranny!

So, "is this game good"? "Is it pure decline?"

Haters put their eggs in the hate basket during the Early Access, and now are clutching at straws to shittalk the game - "muh culture wars", "watch out, gays!", "it's not KOTC2 combat", "the writing is not Tolstoyevski-grade", boo-hoo. BG3 is actually more inclined than much of the Codex top 20. It's just a lot of butthurt and fear of loss of internet cred.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
I had to fight Viconia.

I just beaten her.normally and told her to fuck.off
Yes. I've just said that.
Reading comprehension.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Story-wise, it makes sense.

This is the main headquarters that contains the source of tadpoles that they use to infect prisoners.
Where else would they like to bring all the captives?

I figured as much, but the rationalization is coming after the fact in this case. It's like they first tied all the quests to the location, then came up with the reason for it.
I mean, what, it couldn't have been possible for some of the missing persons to have been abducted by a completely unrelated party? Sure it could have.
The stakes felt raised too abruptly for my taste at least. "This is the big bad, responsible for all the bad in this land, and by the way for your problem as well, Adenvturer. So while you're solving your main quest, would you be so kind as to also help this laundry list of minor characters. It would be so convenient. They should be somewhere in his dungeons."

And one more gripe I have with companion NPCs, which I didn't mention earlier.

It gets a bit claustrophobic at camp with so many great egos per square foot/meter. But not just the egos, the personal story tropes of Laezel and Shadowheart currently seem to practically mirror each other. I really hope there is variance according to player choice for them, but for the moment, they are dangerously similar.

Overall, I remember Tim Cain once saying that Arcanum was the game they wanted to put everything in that they could think of, and for now it seems like BG3 is this game for Swen.
Talk about the curse of infinte resources. He got his hands on too much money, bless his heart :lol:

EDIT:

I would have preferred the curse to be translated in gameplay terms via some sort of time limit, limit on rests before consequences kick in. A bit Owlcat-style, would have been better. I don't think the implementation of a "spooky radiation" mechanic contributes all that much to the RP experience, and to the feeling of faithfully simulated PnP game.

AwesomeButton

Patron

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
I like the fact that Viconia has an unique weapon that just sets her STR to 18. Because that's the kind of item she would need. Quality meta reference.

On the other hand, Minsc after joining you has the standard ranger stats, with 12 STR. Well, that sucks.
You are just forced to respec here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom