Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Finished it. Yeah, missing an extended scene with your companions and no epilogue slides are a bummer, but other than that, I do not see this crazy drop off in quality during act 3 that people were screeching about.

All in all super fun game, never thought I'd say this 2 months ago, but I'm actually satisfied with the sequel to BG2.
According to some comments I've read, supposedly drop in quality in A3 depends entirely on the order in which you do the quests. You can have nearly bugless run, or a completely bugged mess. I personally had a shitload of bugs and weird things happening, at some points it legit felt like a fever dream, with characters constantly referencing things that didn't happen etc.

I'll see how it goes on my 2nd run when I'll do things differently.

I definitely had bugs, but nothing progress/story related. Just minor annoyances, nothing that really drags down the quality of a game, unless you're autistically allergic to bugs.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Finished it. Yeah, missing an extended scene with your companions and no epilogue slides are a bummer, but other than that, I do not see this crazy drop off in quality during act 3 that people were screeching about.

All in all super fun game, never thought I'd say this 2 months ago, but I'm actually satisfied with the sequel to BG2.
Based.

Fuck the haters.

BG3 is GOTY

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Pierre sends his regards!

kotc2.png

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Soyer must have realized by now that his shitty oblivion clone in his totally not boring setting will flop. Very salty.
He isn't even working on Avowed.

The reason it's bizarre is because players characters are basically 2 or 3 times as powerful as they are in tabletop 5e because of how Larian tweaked the action economy

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Soyer must have realized by now that his shitty oblivion clone in his totally not boring setting will flop. Very salty.

The reason he finds it bizarre is because players characters are basically 2 or 3 times as powerful as they are in tabletop 5e because of how Larian tweaked the action economy

Yeah, Sawyer rather have every NPC and player character just take turns beating each other with a 1-2 dmg stick in the name of balance.

Rhobar121

Scholar
The whole Sawyer's pain in the ass is funny if you remember that at the time of DoS1 Larian started at a much lower level than Obsidian. Guess what at this point Larian made the biggest AAA crpg and Obisidian was traded M$ to keep from going bankrupt.
Sawyer that the company completely fucked up their chances.
That would be sad, but they really have only themselves to blame for trying to base their sales on a bunch of 50-year-old autistics.
They succeeded once with PoE, only then nobody fell for it again.

Last edited:

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
60 hours and still enjoying act 1. Finished the Nere fight yesterday, with the help of the Duergar and killing Nere in the first 2 two rounds wasn't particularly difficult but still fun. Tried to save the girl Nere kicks into the lava by attacking him before the cutscene start but I couldn't make it work. Shame. Now mopping up the rest of Grymforge and the Underdark. Accidentally killed the mushroom picker because I love blowing shit up and forgot he might be in there, came running out but died before he could entirely get clear of the exploding mushrooms. So I reloaded because I'm nice. Once I'm done below the surface I finally get to the mountain pass area

Oh yeah, how does the elevator in the mage tower work?

It takes you to the same area that you would go to if you just used the mountain pass. A different part of it though. I am still in that area and exploring it, so I don't know if there are any important differences for the different entrances to the area.

copebot

Learned
the bigger issue to me is how ridiculously overpowered the parasite abilities are
I dunno. How often do you even get to use them considering the supreme power of any class with extra attacks? Sure, there are extra powers, but have you seen what a normal paladin, barbarian, bard, or fighter can do? Rarely is it worth to use a whole action on a power instead of just using an action for attacks.

Also, in terms of game system changes that make it easier, bonus action for potions is way up there. Typically what people complain about with 5E is that the players are invincible unless you burst them down in one turn. That change just makes it harder for the player to ever die if they use their resources. Shove is only super powerful when you are near a chasm, and even then, it's often better to get the loot than it is to get the easy kill.

Last edited:

Steezus

Savant
Patron
the bigger issue to me is how ridiculously overpowered the parasite abilities are

I will die on this hill, being ridiculously overpowered (to a point) is a good thing in cRPGs. That's why I can replay BG2 to this day. Shit's fun, especially if you can synergize your class abilities by multiclassing and good itemization.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

The reason he finds it bizarre is because players characters are basically 2 or 3 times as powerful as they are in tabletop 5e because of how Larian tweaked the action economy

Yeah, Sawyer rather have every NPC and player character just take turns beating each other with a 1-2 dmg stick in the name of balance.

Not at all, Sawyer has also fully bought into the cult of "every character needs a bar full of special abilities or they are boring" as that is the POE design.

I wish we had a dev like the imaginary Sawyer you present here making AA-AAA games.

janior

Arcane
Patron

I will die on this hill, being ridiculously overpowered (to a point) is a good thing in cRPGs. That's why I can replay BG2 to this day. Shit's fun, especially if you can synergize your class abilities by multiclassing and good itemization.
Yeah that would be all good if you got those abilities through some items or your class but you get aoe stun, counterspell and others p much for free.
It's not like player party is underpowered and needs them, imo the game would be better off without it, that'd be a good idea for new difficulty mode where you dont get the superpowers but that could be difficult given how closely plot is tied into it.
I just wish there was some real alternative.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Rent free

I have no idea what the fuck he's even attempting to argue, here, incidentally.
I'm not a fan of shove being a bonus action, because it has a meaningful impact on how the combat feels in general... But that's not even what he's saying here.

He means you should be able to convert a bonus action into action if you have taken a bonus action, and want to take another bonus action: I want to shove someone and then dash away. But neither 5e nor BG3 allow it. he says this doesn't make sense to him, as I understand it.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Not at all, Sawyer has also fully bought into the cult of "every character needs a bar full of special abilities or they are boring" as that is the POE design.
False. In fact Sawyer has addressed this, though you'd have to ask Roguey for citation. He said you are free to play your character as low-maintainance as you like. Just pick passive abilities on your fighter/barbarian/etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom