Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Ryzer

Arcane
The level-scaling in this game makes me want to tear my hairs out. I feel like I gain power not from leveling but only from equipment as the enemies level as much as I do.

And there is no way to tweak it.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I will die on this hill, being ridiculously overpowered (to a point) is a good thing in cRPGs. That's why I can replay BG2 to this day. Shit's fun, especially if you can synergize your class abilities by multiclassing and good itemization.
... up to a point. ToB turned the game into spamming 1 button for each class. I'll sell my soul for BG2, but ToB can fuck right off.

ToB is shit and I'll die on that hill.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Not at all, Sawyer has also fully bought into the cult of "every character needs a bar full of special abilities or they are boring" as that is the POE design.
False. In fact Sawyer has addressed this, though you'd have to ask Roguey for citation. He said you are free to play your character as low-maintainance as you like. Just pick passive abilities on your fighter/barbarian/etc.

And that is what I tried to do in PoE, but you have to make a very specific built with specific stats. I always try to make passive heavy (if not passive only) characters in RPGs if there is an option.

But in PoE the standard expectation is you are going to pick up special abilities and use them frequently, even as a fighter. That they gave you an option to make a very specific character build that doesn't use them if you are willing to give up a considerable amount of flexibility doesn't negate the fact that the system was designed around the expectation that you are going to put several special abilities on every character and regularly use them.

There are lots of games designed around using special abilities, like almost any diablo-like for example, where it is technically possible to only use passive power ups in the skill trees (with the exception of a handul you need to pick up a minimal amount as a pre-requisite for later skills). That doesn't change how the game was very much designed around using special abilities.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
But in PoE the standard expectation is you are going to pick up special abilities and use them frequently, even as a fighter. That they gave you an option to make a very specific character build that doesn't use them if you are willing to give up a considerable amount of flexibility doesn't negate the fact that the system was designed around the expectation that you are going to put several special abilities on every character and regularly use them.
You want flexibility, but you don't want to click active abilities?

What do you mean about a standard expectation? That your fighter feels like a weaker build if you take only/mostly passives?

Steezus

Savant
Patron
I will die on this hill, being ridiculously overpowered (to a point) is a good thing in cRPGs. That's why I can replay BG2 to this day. Shit's fun, especially if you can synergize your class abilities by multiclassing and good itemization.
... up to a point. ToB turned the game into spamming 1 button for each class. I'll sell my soul for BG2, but ToB can fuck right off.

That's why I said up to a point. But I feel ToB suffers more from combat encounter frequency than player characters being overpowered.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You want flexibility, but you don't want to click active abilities?

What do you mean about a standard expectation? That your fighter feels like a weaker build if you take only/mostly passives?

My expectation is that the flexibility comes from the character statistics, equipment, and skills I choose, and that I can make a variety of characters that focus on doing different combinations of things well. All while using the standard combat mechanics. High defense, low defense, high damage, low damage, high mobility, low mobility, range focused, melee focused, consistant damage, spikey damage, etc...

In PoE you had to focus on a specific set of stats and general capabilities if you went passive abilities only. It has been a few years, but some stats were only really useful you were doing special abilities, and the passives focused on a specific type of fighter (defensive, IIRC, but it has been a few years so I might be misremembering a bit).

But I certainly didn't have a wide range of different types of fighters I could build while going passives only in PoE. It was exactly one type of fighter that did one type of thing.

Because the game was designed around the idea that you will be picking up special abilities, even as a fighter.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

I'm not even watching this trash. It's 100% just a PR stunt to promote Starfield or some other self-flagellation.

AAA studios haven't released a good game in so long, that when something like BG3 comes along, they go apeshit and say the industry is back to the glorious heights of the 90's.

Shut up. The industry is 100% money-gobbling fucks. It's fucking dead and running on brain-dead zoomers. Go get your shinebox make some gacha games.

Shaki

Arbiter
That would be sad, but they really have only themselves to blame for trying to base their sales on a bunch of 50-year-old autistics.
It could work, if they actually made the game that would satisfy 50-year-old autists. Their problem was that they marketed towards them, but at the same time made the mechanics that cater to normies, with retarded "can't do anything wrong" character building and shit, so the autists hated it. At the same time, normies also hated it, simply because it was boring as fuck and not fun, and casualized mechanics won't magically make a boring turd interesting. In the end retard Sawyer just pissed off everyone, so people lost interest, and when they released Deadfire it predictably flopped.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In

Eh. It had the Demogorgon fight though. The whole tower was pretty enjoyable, though nice visuals and busywork more than anything.

Everything else was lackluster though, sure. Especially the campaign, which was way too linear.

Rhobar121

Scholar
That would be sad, but they really have only themselves to blame for trying to base their sales on a bunch of 50-year-old autistics.
It could work, if they actually made the game that would satisfy 50-year-old autists. Their problem was that they marketed towards them, but at the same time made the mechanics that cater to normies, with retarded "can't do anything wrong" character building and shit, so the autists hated it. At the same time, normies also hated it, simply because it was boring as fuck and not fun, and casualized mechanics won't magically make a boring turd interesting. In the end retard Sawyer just pissed off everyone, so people lost interest, and when they released Deadfire it predictably flopped.

The funniest thing is that no moron even thought of this when making Deadfire.
Didn't any moron really think this might be a bad idea?
Especially that DoS2 also came out, which literally massacred PoE.
So what conclusion did the morons come to?
Of course their game has to have full voice acting, but no moron even thought that maybe their game was crap.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I see a lot of hill building in the future.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
1k.png
I salute you

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
I don't think that comes off as seething, just a little optimistic about the accessibility of KotC. If it was 'RPG newcomers- meaning BG3 fans' that would seem more passive aggressive

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I don't think that comes off as seething, just a little optimistic about the accessibility of KotC. If it was 'RPG newcomers- meaning BG3 fans' that would seem more passive aggressive

He put a lot of effort in game sentenced to be niche in niche. There is no way to sell this to masses. KotC 2 is ugly, asexual and convoluted, when BG3 is pretty, sexy and simple.

Pretty bimbo always win with ugly but intelligent librarian.

Shaki

Arbiter

He put a lot of effort in game sentenced to be niche in niche. There is no way to sell this to masses. KotC 2 is ugly, asexual and convoluted, when BG3 is pretty, sexy and simple.

Damn, you just made KotC sound even better

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Damn, you just made KotC sound even better

Well, librarians have positives too :)

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
the bigger issue to me is how ridiculously overpowered the parasite abilities are

That's fine, but BG2 had nothing on Deadfire class ability - weapon synergies.

Rent free

I have no idea what the fuck he's even attempting to argue, here, incidentally.
I'm not a fan of shove being a bonus action, because it has a meaningful impact on how the combat feels in general... But that's not even what he's saying here.

He means you should be able to convert a bonus action into action if you have taken a bonus action, and want to take another bonus action: I want to shove someone and then dash away. But neither 5e nor BG3 allow it. he says this doesn't make sense to him, as I understand it.

More like convert Standard Action into Bonus Action, if needed, I think. Which would make sense to me.

Barbarian

Arcane
The level-scaling in this game makes me want to tear my hairs out. I feel like I gain power not from leveling but only from equipment as the enemies level as much as I do.

And there is no way to tweak it.
As far as I know this game does not have any level scaling. Quantity of enemies and encounter design is preset. Stats of enemies is altered by difficulty settings alone.

copebot

Learned

Rent free

I'm not a fan of shove being a bonus action, because it has a meaningful impact on how the combat feels in general... But that's not even what he's saying here.

He means you should be able to convert a bonus action into action if you have taken a bonus action, and want to take another bonus action: I want to shove someone and then dash away. But neither 5e nor BG3 allow it. he says this doesn't make sense to him, as I understand it.

The issue he has only makes sense in the context of BG3's changes to make bonus actions more meaningful. In stock 5e, only some classes and circumstances even really use the bonus action. In BG3, almost every class has a good use for the bonus action almost every turn. That may be why they made the change. They also made jump a bonus action while also consuming some movement, but also giving you a little bonus movement. I don't think that's a bad change, but it does mess with what the original 5e designers really intended the bonus action to be, which is some action that happens nearly simultaneously to the main action.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Rent free

The issue he has only makes sense in the context of BG3's changes to make bonus actions more meaningful. In stock 5e, only some classes and circumstances even really use the bonus action. In BG3, almost every class has a good use for the bonus action almost every turn. That may be why they made the change. They also made jump a bonus action while also consuming some movement, but also giving you a little bonus movement. I don't think that's a bad change, but it does mess with what the original 5e designers really intended the bonus action to be, which is some action that happens nearly simultaneously to the main action.

Josh, as always, is right, but all from wrong reasons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom