Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
The way the game forces companions on you is pretty cringe.
Wyll and Karlach go from "GRRR IMMA KILL U" to "Sowwy best buds now" in one conversation. Come the fuck on.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
It's sad when people can't recognize gems like D:OS 2 for what they are because of nostalgia glasses. Baldurs Gate 1&2 had way less C&C and reactivity than D:OS 2, not to mention worse combat. They were good games, but far from perfect.

I'll concede that BGs story is superior though, no doubt. Although D:OS 2 has its moments.
I'll agree with the general idea that the Codex is way too negative on new stuff just to be cool/hipsters, but good lord. I'd rather replay BG2 a hundred times than go through Div:OS2 again. I liked it at first but it turned into a horrible slog, fine for a single playthrough but now I can't even get through the prologue. The combats take way too long and consist of blanketing every area in firey smoke lightning water, the writing is unreadable word vomit, the characters are hideous, the world is tiny and has no sense of coherence, and I don't even remember the story it was so boring.

I replayed BG2 just a bit ago and it was still as good as ever. Still, I bet if you comb through archives you'll find plenty of people here saying BG1/2 were casual decline compared to Wizard's Crown or whatever.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The swearing is a bit off-putting by that Karlach chick, and I just met her. Think I only heard "shit" once in the first 10 hours, now I have heard every swear word on earth (faerun?).

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
It's sad when people can't recognize gems like D:OS 2 for what they are because of nostalgia glasses. Baldurs Gate 1&2 had way less C&C and reactivity than D:OS 2, not to mention worse combat. They were good games, but far from perfect.

I'll concede that BGs story is superior though, no doubt. Although D:OS 2 has its moments.
I'll agree with the general idea that the Codex is way too negative on new stuff just to be cool/hipsters, but good lord. I'd rather replay BG2 a hundred times than go through Div:OS2 again. I liked it at first but it turned into a horrible slog, fine for a single playthrough but now I can't even get through the prologue. The combats take way too long and consist of blanketing every area in firey smoke lightning water, the writing is unreadable word vomit, the characters are hideous, the world is tiny and has no sense of coherence, and I don't even remember the story it was so boring.

I replayed BG2 just a bit ago and it was still as good as ever. Still, I bet if you comb through archives you'll find plenty of people here saying BG1/2 were casual decline compared to Wizard's Crown or whatever.
BG2 made the mistake of popularizing companion romance degeneracy in RPGs. I will never forgive it for that.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
After eight hours of playing:

+Good combat
+ Many ways to reach places
+Allowing to set custom class markers
+I like the look of the game environments. Divinity OS2 on steroids
+Lots of secrets

-UI looks like MMO junk
-Companion writing has been worse than previous Larian games
-I son't really care much about characters
-Lacks D&D feel/mood
-You can hear reused samples from the DOS osts. I'm a fan of those, but this is BG

Overall, I like exploration and combat, writing is meh. Too early to say anything about itemization, haven't gotten much yet. I'm now at level 3, doing stuff in the dungeon below the ruins.

Good encapsulation. Yeah this is pretty much how I'm seeing it now, after having good initial first impressions then absolutely hating the stupid luxury camp and Larian constantly pushing you into some kind of globohomogayplex mass orgy in the camp dialogues; now after playing some more I'm warming to it again.

Whatever else you might say about the game, the exploration and combat are good. Bumping up to Tactician also hits a sweet spot - it could stand with being a bit more difficult even than that, but at least Tactician does force you to occasionally look at all your options and problem-solve.

I'd even be slightly more positive about the characters than you - as someone said above, say with Astarion, you think you're going to hate him, and you do at first, but then he kind of grows on you as a complex personality. On the other hand Shadowtits is as dull as dishwater. And so on and so forth.

It's a game of two halves really, there's a decent-enough exploration and combat game, with mostly dull-to-average, but occasionally surprisingly good writing, characterization and voice acting, and then there's like this woketard Loverslab Lite trash tangled up with it. Reactivity is also inconsistent - again, sometimes it surprises you in interesting ways, but a lot of the time the vaunted reactivity is AWOL. It's a bit of a roller-coaster experience.

I'd also agree with what you say about it not feeling like D&D, and what someone else said above: it never really feels like a Baldur's Gate game, it's still relentlessly Larianesque throughout (and too influenced by late-stage BioWare as well). It only has a faint dusting of D&D, mainly just because there are so many fucking Tieflings floating about (I guess because modern degenerates find Tieflings schmexy or something).

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
By the way, what do guys think of the difficulty in tactician mode? Some fights go well for me, but most end up in wtf-just-happened land. Often something explodes, or some random crit gets someone out of the blue. Often from archers. My mage is a pin-cushion in battles it seems. Also, all those "X-com" misses. Miss Miss Miss *puts a gun in mouth*... MISS. Or I just get stuck on everything. Mud, acid, webbing. If my warrior gets anywhere, it's by jumping, lol.

But I prefer it being a challenge than breezing through the fights at least. Having to actually think about buffs and potions. Are you finding it easy, too hard, or just hard enough?

Arbiter

Scholar
594f9289-60f4-4fd4-96da-10e5efb3aa5b_text.gif

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
How is the combat compared to Solasta's ? Also, are the feats better than in that game?
Combat in BG3 is similar to Solasta but much clunkier. This might be largely due to the poor user interface, supplemented by the lack of a combat grid. AI is probably worse, as well.

The graphix are great and the facial expressions are especially noteworthy, because in a Bioware game it would look retarded and derpy as fuck.
the facial expressions are pretty impressive have to admit
There seem to be a number of derpy expressions placed on the player-character even a short while into the game. We had an earlier discussion about the impressive character appearance customization in Dragon's Dogma, which had the unfortunate side effect of resulting in expressions that were frequently derpy, but BG3 doesn't seem much better in this regard despite the lack of facial customization and despite being released 11 years and two console systems later.

- Companions suck. At least first few of them are fucking terrible. Getting rid of them is not that easy, especially if the only logical outcome(Dark Urge) should be potential companion death and my options end up on on being mean.
You can dismiss a companion from your party and kill them in camp, which is how my paladin put Wyll out of his misery, following the demonic episode. Even before that, the game gives you options to kill both Astarion (died on the first attack, from my paladin PC) and githyanki girl (my paladin also placed the killing blow) in regular combat upon meeting them; also the meeting with Karlach had a dialogue option that must have resulted in combat, though I recruited her instead.

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
After eight hours of playing:

+Good combat
+ Many ways to reach places
+Allowing to set custom class markers
+I like the look of the game environments. Divinity OS2 on steroids
+Lots of secrets

-UI looks like MMO junk
-Companion writing has been worse than previous Larian games
-I son't really care much about characters
-Lacks D&D feel/mood
-You can hear reused samples from the DOS osts. I'm a fan of those, but this is BG

Overall, I like exploration and combat, writing is meh. Too early to say anything about itemization, haven't gotten much yet. I'm now at level 3, doing stuff in the dungeon below the ruins.
100% agreed. I would like to add though that the game has very good reactivity. Seems like for every class there's a lot of unique dialogue options that lead to different outcomes. And different outcomes based on skill checks etc. There's also some race and traits based reactivity here and there.

Also it lacks a bit in terms of truly unique loot. Haven't found any cursed items or whacky magical items yet. Maybe that'll come later in the game though.

Cohesion

Liturgist
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Of those 472k people, at least 300k will never finish Act 1
More like 400

Also lol that shit is out. Shame....that i am too tired from harlots and white thus i will sleep the next few days and won't play Baldur's gape 3 ,the biggest gay game out there. Heard that in between the main game mechanics of the game aka gay sex,you could also fight. Weird
Shame, I was really interested in fanta's takes on the game, but it's too large for him to pirate, and too demanding to play.

So now all he will talk about will be gay shit.
Watching download bar not moving is the real game. Remember, it's that experience. It takes 3-5 days with modern big games... And then... Then you play for 3 hours.
But is it good, is it bad, or is it just combat with under baked story?
Slow internet notwithstanding, you can easily download this illegally at full speed, available for everyone. But I'm not allowed to say where because forum rules :M
:neveraskedforthis:

I am downloading it lol. Just too much white and sluts for me to play it. Decided to spend the summer at the beach lol.
White as in cocaine? What white are you talking about lol?

Also, camera is really bad, nwn vibes.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
By the way, what do guys think of the difficulty in tactician mode? Some fights go well for me, but most end up in wtf-just-happened land. Often something explodes, or some random crit gets someone out of the blue. Often from archers. My mage is a pin-cushion in battles it seems. Also, all those "X-com" misses. Miss Miss Miss *puts a gun in mouth*... MISS. Or I just get stuck on everything. Mud, acid, webbing. If my warrior gets anywhere, it's by jumping, lol.

But I prefer it being a challenge than breezing through the fights at least. Having to actually think about buffs and potions. Are you finding it easy, too hard, or just hard enough?

It's where "hard" would have been in good past games, I think. You can't faceroll it, but it's not like you have to squeeze out every +1 mug of ale you can possibly find.

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Having to actually think about buffs and potions
my hangup is, and has always been, when it comes to buffing and pots a good encounter design (on a normal difficulty) should let me walk in buffless and unprepared and through the knowledge of the class build i have set and by using smart tactics either be able to win that fight buffing in combat and sacrificing a turn all the while with judicious usage of pots. i absolutely think having to save scum after the first run through a fight to even be able to win so you can pre-buff properly for a fight your characters should have no foreknowledge of is dog shit. this is why i hated serpent in the staglands because every fight was this.

bad game design is making me run around recasting expiry buffs so i am not caught unawares and get donkey fucked because i don't quicksave a lot.

Frozen

Arcane
Just watched some streamer and omg this game is so fucking ugly. You have people with Napoleon era hats and cowboy hats at the same time in forgotten realms lmfao

Voice acting is cringe same as the story, its like written for retards. Zero atmosphere and art design is pure trash. A Korean MMO is classy compared to this. Must be designed by pink haired woman.

Good thing about true BG games was that you can't make an ugly pixel even if you tried.

Larianshill

Arbiter
I fucking hate le stealth sections. Hey, fucker, how about you deal with our genius crime and stealth systems? What are you saying? Your party is not built for that? Too fucking bad. Have fun killing scrying eyes and dealing with magical psychic guards.

Mojobeard

Augur
No wait, now the sound mix is weird. Can't hear what people are saying, it's like playing a Bethesda game without Windows' "Loudness Equalization".
I wish Steam had a feature where you could skip patches.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Folks, since when DnD spell grease can be put on fire by a simple fire cantrip?
Combat in the Old Chapel can be trivialized by casting a fire cantrip as well.

I am getting slightly miffed.
Perception Check Success- Okay, cool for WHAT?
Also the freeform approach to adventuring means Ive mostly been running around aimlessly trying to find things I can actually solve, of which there aren't many.
Here is something you can solve - find a scroll of remove paralysis. I've been looking and I can't find one, and it's needed for a little sidequest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom