Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Mojobeard

Augur
So I click half-elf, make her cast Guidance, then click fifteen times to get back to my character.
Fuck, Larian. You click a guy, you go to that guy.

Shaki

Arbiter
11th all time and still climbing. I didn't think it was possible for CRPGs to sell this well.
Were you in a coma for the last decade? Witcher 3 is still one of the best selling PC games of all time. All the Bioware titles which BG3 is based on, also always did great, probably hitting similar numbers but they won't be included in steam stats since they used to only be available on Origin. This isn't really anything new for this type of RPG.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
-I son't really care much about characters
-Lacks D&D feel/mood
That's bad.
-You can hear reused samples from the DOS osts. I'm a fan of those, but this is BG

Overall, I like exploration and combat, writing is meh. Too early to say anything about itemization, haven't gotten much yet. I'm now at level 3, doing stuff in the dungeon below the ruins.
Well, writing was average in BG, I wonder how they managed to go to the meh area.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I hope that now everyone can see why I've defended the game for so long (despite the trannyism).

The RPG elements are very solid. Reactions within reactions.

The ruleset is, of course, garbage, but it's 5E, so it's not like we could expect much.

Avarize

Magister
11th all time and still climbing. I didn't think it was possible for CRPGs to sell this well.
Were you in a coma for the last decade? Witcher 3 is still one of the best selling PC games of all time. All the Bioware titles which BG3 is based on, also always did great, probably hitting similar numbers but they won't be included in steam stats since they used to only be available on Origin. This isn't really anything new for this type of RPG.
Are you really comparing Witcher 3 to isometrics?

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
"Witcher 3" "CRPG" lol, lmao even

BioWare games might sell big but Mass Effect is a third person action game with RPG elements (like Witcher 3), and I'm not sure DA ever sold as big as Mass Effect (could be wrong??). One thing's for sure, clearly your RPG needs to reach BioWare levels of cringe to pull numbers this big.

All of you have been making fun of Astarion as the flaming gaylord he is, but I don't think you've been noticing he was always a vampire. A disease carried through one's blood.
What did they mean by this? :avatard:

Shaki

Arbiter
"Witcher 3" "CRPG" lol, lmao even
I want to remind you that Codex voted an action-adventure slasher as a best cRPG last year

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
-Companion writing has been worse than previous Larian games
-I son't really care much about characters
Less likeable than previous games maybe, but I think their writing is better than most Larian schlock.

Each of the characters is basically a typical D&D example of their race/class, but with a twist.

The only negative about them is that several of them are jerks, at least when you first meet them. (Though Gale seems to have been rewritten to be more flattering less of a douchebag, and Wyll seems to have been rewritten into less of a dumbass and more of a Mary Sue.)

Larianshill

Arbiter
owN6an7.png

What the fuck, why isn't this a part of the Shield Master feat

everyone who is playing this will transition before the end of the decade.
If by that you mean transition into a fan of turn based, c&c-filled rpgs, then yes, you are right. I do hope so.

I just noticed your companions do realize and worry that Astarion is a vampire. I love this game, but I already knew I would.

lot of retards think they can tell the difference between 60 and 100 frams per second..you cant fat ass, you also wear glasses fatso
Spotted the 50 IQ mongrel. Try playing CSGO or any other arcade FPS locked to 60, it feels like a fucking slideshow compared to 100+, and that's not even touching on reduced input lag from higher framerate. Just because you're an eyelet, doesn't mean others are.

You're right that something like BG3 is perfectly playable at 60, but you're still a retard.
WTF is CSGO? is that like fortnite or some crap? BG3 is my first foray into gay zoomer shit, so I don't speak whatever language it is you are babbling on in...

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I can confirm there is split screen for PC, in case you want to play with your wives, girlfriends or gay lovers.

But in a super boneheaded move, the only way I got it to work was plugging in two controllers and creating a LAN session.

Maybe it tricks the PC version into thinking it's a console.
Yes, I've been already ranting about this, though posts get buried quickly.

Only two controllers, no controller + M&KB option, like it already was in D:OS2

And most horrendously - no uniting of the split screen when the two characters are standing close enough to each other, like it already fucking was in D:OS2 :argh:
Can you at least use two monitors separately or will we have to wait for a Nucleus Coop fix?
I have a second display, but I'm too lazy to play around with it, and even if it works, I don't have where to place it.

You can just press buttons of the partner’s controller during character creation in single player- second player will pop in D:OS style.
Yeah, my gripe is that it has to be two controllers, can't go with one controller and mouse-keyboard for the other player.

Witcher 3 is an action RPG, duh.

Mojobeard

Augur
Thiefling barbarian giantess mommy is working pretty well, I'm surprised.
Am I failing skill checks? Yeah, but they're mostly flavor, and there's enough "be dumbass with big muscles" to compensate. Something like Warlock or Ranger or whatever would definitely be better, but this is enough and straightforward.

Still not a fan of inspiration, people pick skills they need from the backgrounds, so half the playerbase is probably Guild Artisans.

Shaki

Arbiter
Witcher 3 is an action RPG, duh.

That's pretty irrelevant tho, whether it's DA:O rtwp, or Mass Effect fps, or Witcher 3 slasher or BG3 turn based, no one plays these games for combat, and outside of combat they all have the same selling points that make normie crowd like them. Witcher 3 spices it up a little by having your "companions" not travel with you in a party, but instead be more involved in the narrative and offer more quests, but otherwise they're pretty much the different flavours of the same core experience. 99% of people liking one of these games, will also like others.

Same way you can say PST and Disco Elysium are pretty much the same type of game, and most of storyfags who liked one will also like the other, even tho the difference in combat here is even bigger, eg. one of the games don't even have it. But it's not important, since no one cared about PST combat anyway.

Actually I think you could take the typical Bioware-like RPG, and also remove combat completely, just replace it with the Mass Effect style QTE where you press a rightclick in a cutscene and pew pew the bad guy like a badass, and I doubt it would make any difference for the normie gamers, they would lap it up like Witcher, DA, ME, BG3.

It might make a difference for some Codexers and other niche audiences, but the main consumer of these games absolutely won't care.

Takamori

Learned
So I started the game on balanced and at the same time I didn't really like human racials they are complete dogshit, so I'm rerolling on tactician and seeing this game in theory at its fullest.

Now I'm creating another character started wondering if the single asian face is that chinese man guy that I even made a joke He man out of it.
But it seems like there is other asian faces and japanese profile people are half elves they decided to separate ethnicity per race. Like if you are just going face scan people just make it global in theory they are not adding any creative artwork in the different races. Larian seems to imply something else here:lol:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

Elthosian

Arcane
I can confirm there is split screen for PC, in case you want to play with your wives, girlfriends or gay lovers.

But in a super boneheaded move, the only way I got it to work was plugging in two controllers and creating a LAN session.

Maybe it tricks the PC version into thinking it's a console.
Yes, I've been already ranting about this, though posts get buried quickly.

Only two controllers, no controller + M&KB option, like it already was in D:OS2

And most horrendously - no uniting of the split screen when the two characters are standing close enough to each other, like it already fucking was in D:OS2 :argh:
Can you at least use two monitors separately or will we have to wait for a Nucleus Coop fix?
I have a second display, but I'm too lazy to play around with it, and even if it works, I don't have where to place it.

Similar situation here. I've got two monitors but my current layout doesn't work for two people playing. Have to find the time to set it up more properly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom