Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

jf8350143

Liturgist
Tried to play a dragonborn and the voice type just doesn't fit, at all. They all sounds extremely human like.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
Since I currently don''t have the time nor the energy do a 2nd playthrough of BG3 right out of the gate (might wait for some substantial patching, fingers crossed), I decided to tip my toes into Solasta for once for comparison. What can I expect?

Smaller scope, more humble ambitions, skeletal storytelling, solid 5e shenanigans.
Overall worth a play, especially if you like D&D.

Which of the three published campaigns is worth checking out?
It's almost as if there wasn't a megathread about Solasta discussing everything there is to discuss about it. At some point, I'll start to believe that Codexers don't really interact with each other nor read each others and are just here for some attempt at ego boosting or perhaps are desperate for an illusion of social interaction.

My friend, I already said that I'll check out the Solasta thread and I'm already crossreading through it.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Since I currently don't have the time nor the energy to do a 2nd playthrough of BG3 right out of the gate (Evil Durge run prefered this time around, might as well wait for some substantial Mithara patching, fingers crossed), I decided to tip my toes into Solasta for once for comparison. What can I expect, and which of the three published campaigns is worth checking out?
Solasta's combat is similar to BG3's, both being based on "D&D 5th edition" rules, but better, due in no small part to the functional AI. However, it's also very much a tactical RPG focused on combat, with barely a semblance of exploration. Travel between locations occurs via routes along an abstract map, and the individual locations are fairly small with exceptions. Similarly, relative to BG3, there isn't much C&C, few characters, and a paltry amount of dialogue. You might as well start with the original campaign; the Lost Valley campaign is definitely inferior, and the new one is higher level and therefore suitable for continuing with imported characters from the original campaign.

Larianshill

Arbiter
I swear, if he was a cute girl wearing a panda shirt he would be way more popular.
There is not a single male companion in this game, who wouldn't be better received if he was a girl.
The real problem is that their writers are incompetent. Especially this faggot

vRObpjy.png
Is he the one who wrote Shadowheart and Halsin, or the one who wrote Lae'zel? Because if he wrote Lae'zel, he's pretty competent, actually. Just like that racist indian guy who worked on Andromeda, his part of the game was stellar.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
I swear, if he was a cute girl wearing a panda shirt he would be way more popular.
There is not a single male companion in this game, who wouldn't be better received if he was a girl.

vRObpjy.png
Is he the one who wrote Shadowheart and Halsin, or the one who wrote Lae'zel? Because if he wrote Lae'zel, he's pretty competent, actually. Just like that racist indian guy who worked on Andromeda, his part of the game was stellar.
He wrote Lae'zel but he also wrote Wyll, so clearly he has good and bad days

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Did he write the original version of Wyll or the current lame rewrite? Because even a good writer can't save something if it comes down to terrible and late editorial edicts

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Did he write the original version of Wyll or the current lame rewrite? Because even a good writer can't save something if it comes down to terrible and late editorial edicts
He's the only person whose name I've seen attached to Wyll so I assume he wrote both. He did Kagha and the Myconids too though, both of which were fine so I assume he's a decent writer overall (Kagha should have been fleshed out more but I doubt it was his choice not to do that)

Larianshill

Arbiter
I wouldn't call either version of Wyll too good. I think my biggest problem with Wyll as a character, aside from him being boring as fuck, is how pathetic he is. In the EA, when his party members fucked gods, Wyll's backstory was that his archnemesis was a goblin (GOBLIN!), and his patron was snatched by goblins (GOBLINS!) too, and needs his help to rescue her. In the release version, Wyll does not have that problem, but he's still utterly buck broken by Mizora, and even with the best possible scenario he never quite manages to come out on top. Also, female companions routinely disrespect him and call him bad at sex.

yfkw8vky3hj71.jpg

See this bit of promotional art? At no point, ever, Wyll in the game is even close to this.

Last edited:

volklore

Arcane
To be a good writer in vidyagame industry, being good at writing is only 1 skill. You also need to be a master at deception/persuasion to convince producers and designers that their ideas to make this and that ''cooler'' doesn't actually work.
I think I remember a Kirkbride interview in which he says that the only way he found to convince Todd to keep his shit as is was to convince him that ''it's just like star wars/Dune''

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I wouldn't call either version of Wyll too good. I think my biggest problem with Wyll as a character, aside from him being boring as fuck, is how pathetic he is. In the EA, when his party members fucked gods, Wyll's backstory was that his archnemesis was a goblin (GOBLIN!), and his patron was snatched by goblins (GOBLINS!) too, and needs his help to rescue her. In the release version, Wyll does not have that problem, but he's still utterly buck broken by Mizora, and even with the best possible scenario he never quite manages to come out on top. Also, female companions routinely disrespect him and call him bad at sex.
Everyone else complains that most party members suffer from being special snowflakes, now you complain he's not special enough, lol

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
To be a good writer in vidyagame industry, being good at writing is only 1 skill. You also need to be a master at deception/persuasion to convince producers and designers that their ideas to make this and that ''cooler'' doesn't actually work.
I think I remember a Kirkbride interview in which he says that the only way he found to convince Todd to keep his shit as is was to convince him that ''it's just like star wars/Dune''
That Todd was a moron has been obvious for decades

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Apparently Todd kept rejecting Kirkbride's designs for being too far out so he eventually started doing two pieces of concept art, the original and something ridiculous and exaggerated, so Todd would agree to what he actually wanted to do
Source:
1693827639506.png

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
Everyone else complains that most party members suffer from being special snowflakes, now you complain he's not special enough, lol

A character can have the most elaborate backstory and still be utterly bland, which is what most BG3 characters are, their totally epic origin stories used as a surrogate for an actual personality.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

A character can have the most elaborate backstory and still be utterly bland, which is what most BG3 characters are, their totally epic origin stories used as a surrogate for an actual personality.
Gotta agree to disagree then

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
See this bit of promotional art? At no point, ever, Wyll in the game is even close to this.

Mizora should have been part of Wyll's presence in the game from the very beginning. It would open a lot of options, especially for neutral and evil playthroughs.

It would also be interesting to have her as a permanent summon for gameplay purposes, if Larian was willing to homebrew some mechanics for that.

MerchantKing

Learned

vRObpjy.png
Lezzel isn't well written. She's garbage like most of the other characters in this game. Wyll was already mentioned here as one of his character. He also wrote the orange ma... woman bad plotline (Kahga).

Ass Effect was always a terrible series. He must be really bad if you're saying he's like a Bioware writer.

Mortmal

Arcane

Are you so sure? How many new Codexers would read and find Caius Cosades without access to the internet and a walkthrough? If anything, Todd Howard anticipated this future and was a visionary.

MerchantKing

Learned

Are you so sure? How many new Codexers would read and find Caius Cosades without access to the internet and a walkthrough? If anything, Todd Howard anticipated this future and was a visionary.
Now you just have to follow the quest markers in every single game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom