Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

It is an obstacle, that's the point. The fun (and more than fun) is in figuring out how to surmount it.

That isn't just appearing smart, it's how one becomes the genuine article.
It's an obstacle that keeps them from winning. The world of butthurt that Souls games brought to the world was based on them not being instawin deals. And that's also why some devs were salty about ER and BG3, it asks players to ask more of the entertainment they consume.

MerchantKing

Learned
This is fair.

The game tells you, through Lae'Zel, that you should seek out her Créche. This being an entry level alternative to seeking out Halsin.

It is much easier to go to the Créche than saving Halsin, it's obvious even. There is no indication that the patrol fight with Lae'Zel's commander on the way to the Créche is incomparably, comically, mean-spiritedly stacked against you. There is no winning that fight before lvl. 4 and even at lvl. 4 you're gonna have your work cut out for you.

The patrol isn't a fluke, Act 1 has tons of "Gotcha!" Fights that will smash you completely and utterly the first go-around.

If you're a cRPG fan this is annoying, but manageable. If you're not, it just feels arbitrary and poorly designed.

That patrol fight is no joke by the way. I find Lae'Zel's entire quest badly designed, and right from the get-go. I beat and destroyed the entire Goblin hoard before attempting the Githyanki fight again, and even then it took multiple tries.
You know what? I incidentally wrote at length about how poorly designed this encounter was, especially in EA, not because it really gave me any problem even back then, but I because was stressing how disingenuous it felt that that very first companion you met in the game never quitted for a second her attempts to pester the the player to rush toward this encounter, with the serious risk to put someone in an unwinnable situation.

Incidentally, that has NOTHING to do with what I was talking about, because if the people I referenced to were complaining about being crushed by the Githyanki patrol at level 3 I would absolutely understand their pain (even if there are ways around it).
But that's not the case.
These fuckers were whining about the goblin patrol in the Blighted Village tearing them a new one, about how HARD it was to get rid of Priestess Gut (are you fucking serious?), one even wrote a endless rant about how miserable it was for him to deal with the entire goblin camp at level 2 (how the fuck did you even get there so malnourished should be the question), etc.

These are not shortcomings of the game itself, frankly.
These are people crying their ineptitude to the heavens and getting fairly catty and over-defensive when they are not receiving the sympathy they were expecting, too.
Newbs are famous for finding new ways to be underleveled and in fact if you waltz right into the fight outside the Chapel or in the Refectory you will get raped by High Ground or that Oil barrel. Those mobs have consumables that you can loot if you get the jump on them but will add insult to injury if things are the other way around. Same with Gob Village and Camp except they're higher up and have more a better consumables and there's more of them if you don't manage aggro.

Which is fine since the appeal of Larian games for people who didn't grow up on the original BG/Gold Box (or worse coin-ops) is getting raped like that for the first time and having to figure out a different approach. Let them help each other do that like we did back in the day. That's the fun. No need for nerfbat *or* mockery, it's the mockery that makes them cry for the nerfbat that kills the appeal.

Later on, yeah, game could use some re-balancing and another difficulty level with the same level of thought put into it.
I agree with your sentiment that mocking bad players is shitty. It's why we're being schoolyard asshats *here* and not on whatever subreddit or forums the newcomers are on.

That doesn't change the fact that a lot of players will never get it, and they too will whinge and complain antil Larian bends the knee.
Cool. If Larian does so then Larian gets exposed as yet another company that doesn't care about making good games but only cares about appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
So after clearing that first chapel with 2 people, I have to say the game is better than I expected. I knew better than to take that Dave faggot into my party and found the green goblin only after the temple.

That beginning on the ship kind of sucked though. They should have just dropped you on the beach and shown some memories as videos or something.

turkishronin

Arcane
As always, Infinity Engine games prove to be prophetic:

I have been thinking about the divinity that flows through your veins.

2iX3CEC.jpg

PST is known for the phrase "Sounds like Oblivion. Who would want that?".

Any gems like that in Icewind Dale?

Viconia: Jan. While I would be tempted to let the situation play itself out, perhaps it is best if I warn you now.

Jan: Yes, my dusky little margarita? What warning would that be?

Viconia: You have a venomous spider on your neck. A lovely creature, known to cause an agonizing, bloodcurdling death within moments of injecting its nerve poison.

Jan: You know, this reminds me of the time Uncle Scratchy laid me flat with the handle of a horseman's flail. "Look behind you!" he says. "Why? What's behind me?" I say. "A Tiberian Dung Beetle!" he cries, looking frantic. So of course I scream in terror and look behind me... and lost a bag of the most scrumptious turnips ever to come out of Scornubel. Ma Jansen was furious, and the lump was more painful than six weeks with the Calishite itch.

Viconia: Oh, look. There it goes down the back of your shirt

.Jan: And then there was that time I took a drow at his word. "Bifflechips," says I, "you had better be telling the truth." And, of course, he swore up and down that he was. Needless to say, not four weeks later, I was stewing in the lower intestines of a giant cave wyrm without even so much as a torch or a sense of irony. I would have been a goner if gnomes weren't well known for causing severe bouts of intestinal gas.

Viconia: I wouldn't squirm about so much, you foolish jaluk. You're likely to anger it, and I have no spells that can counteract its particular poison.

Jan: Now, if I had a copper for every time— Eh, wait a second. I feel something... who's behind me? What *is* that back there?

Viconia: Did I not try to tell you? No doubt it is sinking its fangs into your gamey flesh as we speak.Jan: What? But I—ouch! AHHHH! AHHHH, NOOOO! I'M TOO YOUNG A GNOME TO DIE! AHHHHH! HELP ME, SOMEONE! AN ANTIDOTE, AN ANTIDOTE! PAIN GIVES ME GAS! AHHHH!I DON"T WANT TO—eh? Wait a minute, that's a fly. A dead fly. You mean I ripped off my own shirt for nothing?

Viconia: Ha ha! Sometimes life has its little rewards. Even for the drow.

Jan: You're a cruel, cruel woman, Viconia. Garl help me, but I am so turned on right now.

Viconia: All right, now I'm leaving.
Holy shit Larian keeps hitting a new low with their "writing"!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I haven't played the dlcs but I believe Grunker can fill you in on these.
Main campaign is alright. It gets easy towards the end, unfortunately, but the pacing is good enough. You'll quickly see how formulaic the game is, but it's not a bad thing in my book.

I'll check it out anyway. I love Ice settings, so I probably go for the Palace of Ice DLC. Gotta say BG3 hooked me on turn based D&D combat, so it's good that there are other developers sailing that pond too.
Also got the feeling Solasta devs are passionate about their smaller scope project.

Not sure why Colonel mentioned me, I'm not much of a Solasta fan. Basically the systems are fantastic (the verticality kicks BG3's ass - it's a full 3D space with flying and walking on walls) but all the content is very bad - poorly designed encounters and low difficulty. I had great fun with Artyoan's 6-character mods though.

Last edited:

ColonelMace

Educated
I bestow responsibilities upon people, based not on their tastes, but on the need we have of their skills on any given task.
That's what colonels do.

Self-Ejected
Maybe it inspires some of these fine people to give the earlier titles in the series a shot.
Hope they'll realize TB is best and the eldritch horror that is RTwP will be buried forever :smug:

TB is boring garbage for IQ 90 retards

- It makes no sense to have it in a video game
- Every encounter takes 10 times longer
- Requires constant clicking rather than being able to just let things happen
- Can't interrupt spell-casters
- etc

Given how successful BG3 has been, expect even fewer RTwP RPGs in the future :smug:
Makes me wonder... I doubt Owlcate will make another Pathfinder game in future expecially if they want to use the second edition. Pathfinder 2e is downright impossible to adapt to real time with pause.

scytheavatar

Scholar
Maybe it inspires some of these fine people to give the earlier titles in the series a shot.
Hope they'll realize TB is best and the eldritch horror that is RTwP will be buried forever :smug:

TB is boring garbage for IQ 90 retards

- It makes no sense to have it in a video game
- Every encounter takes 10 times longer
- Requires constant clicking rather than being able to just let things happen
- Can't interrupt spell-casters
- etc

Given how successful BG3 has been, expect even fewer RTwP RPGs in the future :smug:
Makes me wonder... I doubt Owlcate will make another Pathfinder game in future expecially if they want to use the second edition. Pathfinder 2e is downright impossible to adapt to real time with pause.

I would argue it's not impossible, but it would be pointless. Stuff like reactions help enhance turn based combat and make them far more engaging. I guess you can have stuff like 1 action = 2s for the 3 action economy, but it would kill the point of having 3 actions in the first place.

RTWP is dead because it's a dead end design wise and there's not much you can do with it that is exciting and different from what that is done in BG2/DAO. That is why Owlcat would be foolish to make a new Pathfinder 1e game next, what can they do that can top and be better than WOTR/Kingmaker? While if they make a 2e game they will instantly make something that is special and different from any CRPG we have seen, simply from the 3 actions of 2e which transforms turn based combat.

I suspect one of the biggest reasons RTWP is declining so rapidly in popularity even now that the genre has experienced a mild “resurgence” is that unlike turn-based combat it’s particularly annoying to adapt for controllers and consoles.

Not that I care on a personal level. Just saying.

Sarathiour

Cipher
You could give a +10 bonus on every dice roll for those people and they would still manage to somehow fuck it up.

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
I think these people are picking the game up because it's a hit and because playing an rpg makes you appear as "smart".
It's the characters. People love gettign attached to characters nowdays. Same reason why Persona 5 had so much success.. Even something like Armored core that character don't have a face, people go out of their way to give them a face. And so happens that BG3 character are loud, over the top and want to fuck anything that moves.

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
I suspect one of the biggest reasons RTWP is declining so rapidly in popularity even now that the genre has experienced a mild “resurgence” is that unlike turn-based combat it’s particularly annoying to adapt for controllers and consoles.

Which is super strange.. A CRPG with Final Fantasy XII combat or a more refined version of Dragon age Origins would work wonders nowdays.

MerchantKing

Learned
RTWP is dead because it's a dead end design

It should had evolved to simultaneous turns with heavy simulation focus, but that requires very good designers that have passion for that type of gameplay and excellent UI.
The only problem with RTwP is that no one really does anything new with it most of the time. Then there's always the fallacy where people blame bad or boring encounter design on RTwP when there are plenty of turn-based games with just as many of the same kinds of encounters. Maybe PoE for example is boring because Sawyer and Obsidian are just bad developers rather than a problem with RTwP.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
RTWP is dead because it's a dead end design

It should had evolved to simultaneous turns with heavy simulation focus, but that requires very good designers that have passion for that type of gameplay and excellent UI.
The only problem with RTwP is that no one really does anything new with it most of the time. Then there's always the fallacy where people blame bad or boring encounter design on RTwP when there are plenty of turn-based games with just as many of the same kinds of encounters. Maybe PoE for example is boring because Sawyer and Obsidian are just bad developers rather than a problem with RTwP.

One of the best systems that helped rtwp a lot was the planner in DA:O, ofc it was dumbed down in DA2 and Inquisition instead of making it even more robust with better UI.

Falksi

Arcane
I think these people are picking the game up because it's a hit and because playing an rpg makes you appear as "smart".
It's the characters. People love gettign attached to characters nowdays. Same reason why Persona 5 had so much success.. Even something like Armored core that character don't have a face, people go out of their way to give them a face. And so happens that BG3 character are loud, over the top and want to fuck anything that moves.

Yup. Also, a lot of fans of Final Fantasy love turn based RPGs and want more, so seeing FF16 go full DMC seems to have caused a backlash where they are wanting to support other turn based games now (also see Chained Echoes, Sea of Stars etc.). It's funny as fuck because some of them are genuinely expecting D&D gaming to be a simplistic as JRPG gaming.

Which is super strange.. A CRPG with Final Fantasy XII combat or a more refined version of Dragon age Origins would work wonders nowdays.
Again, I find it funny that Final Fantasy XII was crucified for it's combat system, yet you could literally turn all the Gambits off and play it like a traditional FF game. Those who crucified it would probably spunk buckets if Square released a FF game with such a system now lol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom