Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Tbh other then Mizora there's a whole a bunch of people i felt should have been companions, for example felt not being able to recruit Rolan when he went awol to rescue his bro and sis was a missed opportunity.
And yet people asked, no DEMANDED that halsin be made a companion instead, good job EA people for your valuable feedback. But then again bear sex became big marketing material and a hit with journos so maybe they were right.

As for the lack of directions...Lol. (Almost) everything is clearly marked on your map so short of the game spawning a trail to your next objective i don't see how they could make it any easier.
The murder questline in the city is actually completely ruined by this imo. I was looking forward to a little sleuthing but other then talking to the dead priest (which immediately makes for a massive plothole: if scrolls of speak with the dead are so abundant and cheap then why didn't the local cops do this? it's not like there is a segregation between story and mechanics either because priestess chick acts like i'm a 200 iq hyper genius for doing it implying that few or no one ever thinks to do this) all i did was follow the waypoints on my map until i cracked the case.

There were a few exceptions like shadowheart's quest location not being marked on the map so you do have to wander around a bit for that, but those are the exceptions to the rule.

Last edited:

MerchantKing

Learned
Also I find concentration mechanic quite limiting in a frustrating way. So many spells take concentration slot. It makes speellcasters feel a lot more constrained and a lot less fun that in PF games for example.

The whole point of the concentration mechanic is to remove the whole buffing routine nonsense in 3.5e and PF, which is lame and makes a complete mockery of magic:

The alternative would be to do what they did in PF 2e, which is to make all of the spells give out bonuses that do not stack. Both have the same outcome of nerfing spellcasting, which I would argue is well deserved cause spellcasting is overly powerful in 3e/PF 1e.

Knights of the Chalice 1+2 had buffs, yet didn't have this problem. The solution was that half of the buffs could only be cast in combat while those that could be cast outside could be autocast by the character on themselves after a rest via simple menu. You can also refer to AD&D where many of the buffs that were translated into 3e only lasted a certain number of rounds instead of turns/minutes per level.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Also I find concentration mechanic quite limiting in a frustrating way. So many spells take concentration slot. It makes speellcasters feel a lot more constrained and a lot less fun that in PF games for example.

The whole point of the concentration mechanic is to remove the whole buffing routine nonsense in 3.5e and PF, which is lame and makes a complete mockery of magic:

The alternative would be to do what they did in PF 2e, which is to make all of the spells give out bonuses that do not stack. Both have the same outcome of nerfing spellcasting, which I would argue is well deserved cause spellcasting is overly powerful in 3e/PF 1e.

Big brain Lagole solution - introduce concentration slots.

Donut Steele Lagole d20 but better system:
Wisdom classes should do charisma casting. Wisdom (maybe call it will) bonus (or half) sets the amount of concentration slots.

I'm so super smart.

Reinhardt

Arcane
magic should be only available for enemies, like in conan or battle brothers. here - problem solved.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Reading about this game on more generalist boards will drive me insane.
The amount of "I had to lower the difficulty because this game was kicking my ass so hard" only to learn that they aren't even talking about a challenging boss fight, but about something barely past the tutorial makes very hard to not question them with a "Are you crippled by mental retardation?".
To be fair, the combat system tend to lead to extremely one-sided encounter early on. A character getting twice has a decent chance to go down, and normie probably don't have the reflex to try to salvage the situation trough consumable or spell, and will probably get pissed after loosing some encounter due to a bunch of bad roll.

Hagashager

Educated
Reading about this game on more generalist boards will drive me insane.
The amount of "I had to lower the difficulty because this game was kicking my ass so hard" only to learn that they aren't even talking about a challenging boss fight, but about something barely past the tutorial makes very hard to not question them with a "Are you crippled by mental retardation?".
To be fair, the combat system tend to lead to extremely one-sided encounter early on. A character getting twice has a decent chance to go down, and normie probably don't have the reflex to try to salvage the situation trough consumable or spell, and will probably get pissed after loosing some encounter due to a bunch of bad roll.
This is fair.

The game tells you, through Lae'Zel, that you should seek out her Créche. This being an entry level alternative to seeking out Halsin.

It is much easier to go to the Créche than saving Halsin, it's obvious even. There is no indication that the patrol fight with Lae'Zel's commander on the way to the Créche is incomparably, comically, mean-spiritedly stacked against you. There is no winning that fight before lvl. 4 and even at lvl. 4 you're gonna have your work cut out for you.

The patrol isn't a fluke, Act 1 has tons of "Gotcha!" Fights that will smash you completely and utterly the first go-around.

If you're a cRPG fan this is annoying, but manageable. If you're not, it just feels arbitrary and poorly designed.

That patrol fight is no joke by the way. I find Lae'Zel's entire quest badly designed, and right from the get-go. I beat and destroyed the entire Goblin hoard before attempting the Githyanki fight again, and even then it took multiple tries.

Barbarian

Arcane
Larian must have some hell of a lack of focus and chaotic development process.

Things like that dragonborn bard throatsinging at camp and then being murdered - literally 0,01% of players will ever see it(being that you ned to have durge origin and have killed alfira before it triggers - and it triggers first rest after first entering blighted village so it will always show up before you actually raid the grove).

Game is filled with stuff like that. Origins being a great example. Most players will only ever play Tav and be done with it. What percentage of players will ever play Wyll and Laezel origin for instance? How much in the way of resources were invested in unique content for these origins?

Meanwhile the game has an entire chapter nigh unfinished, a boatload of bugs and even non-implemented mechanics(i.e: non-lethal attacks).

notpl

Arbiter
Larian must have some hell of a lack of focus and chaotic development process.

Things like that dragonborn bard throatsinging at camp and then being murdered - literally 0,01% of players will ever see it(being that you ned to have durge origin and have killed alfira before it triggers - and it triggers first rest after first entering blighted village so it will always show up before you actually raid the grove).

Game is filled with stuff like that. Origins being a great example. Most players will only ever play Tav and be done with it. What percentage of players will ever play Wyll and Laezel origin for instance? How much in the way of resources were invested in unique content for these origins?

Meanwhile the game has an entire chapter nigh unfinished, a boatload of bugs and even non-implemented mechanics(i.e: non-lethal attacks).
It makes more sense when you learn that Durge was just supposed to be the protagonist.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1086940/view/3656414378563122667

Hotfix #5 Now Live!
Version Number: 4.1.1.3696083

Hello everyone,

We’ve got a new hotfix for you today, fixing several bugs, glitches, and multiplayer issues.

Minthara lovers, your ship has come in. This hotfix takes care of a bug that blocked access to some of Minthara’s lines of dialogue, including some hot takes from your companions about your decision to date the ruthless Oath of Vengeance Paladin.

If approval is high enough, your romance with Minthara will progress in Act 3. This unlocks several new dialogues allowing you to explore and deepen the relationship, and discover more details of Minthara's backstory. Alongside many lines of interactive dialogue, many more non-interactive voiced lines are available with Minthara as a romantic partner.

Minthara isn't the only one who has new things to say though. Other companions in the party will comment on the relationship and may even find themselves on Minthara's bad side (there is no good side; we've looked really hard for it) should they have their own romantic entanglements with you. And Minthara won't watch silently if you stray from her side, whether your dalliance is with another member of the party, or [redacted].

We also have a number of fixes for just PS5 players. We’ve fixed graphical issues on HDR TVs, an issue in which game audio on PS5 stopped working, and a crash that would occur when opening the onscreen keyboard.

Thank you for taking the time to send your reports to our support team, and for all the messages you’ve been sending us. Thank you for playing Baldur’s Gate 3!

HIGHLIGHTS
  • Fixed a bug that locked players out of many of Minthara’s lines of dialogue.

CRASHES AND BLOCKERS
  • Fixed sometimes not being able to talk to NPCs or party members because the game thought you were still in a dialogue.
  • Fixed a rare crash that would occur when faraway characters got close to the party.
  • Fixed a crash that would occur if a guard responding to a crime created a summon (e.g. an elemental), and you fled the combat or were incapacitated without killing the summon.

PS5
  • Fixed an issue causing the game's audio to stop working on PS5.
  • Fixed graphical issues on HDR TVs when the HDR black level calibration was set to 0.
  • Fixed a crash that would occur when opening the onscreen keyboard.

PERFORMANCE
  • Fixed a memory leak when creating and destroying many objects.

MULTIPLAYER
  • Improved performance when cycling through Character Sheet tabs in splitscreen.
  • Fixed splitscreen not working correctly when a client with splitscreen already enabled joins a multiplayer game.
  • Fixed dismissed avatars not showing up properly in Withers' Wardrobe if the host is at camp and is already looking inside the wardrobe.
  • Fixed characters sometimes disappearing on splitscreen when the client reconnects after disconnecting while listening in on a dialogue.
  • Clients rejoining a multiplayer game where there's a dismissed avatar in Withers' Wardrobe will now be able to pick that avatar up again rather than have to create a new avatar. (This bug would happen when the client left the session and another player selected that client's avatar in the middle of the dismiss-to-camp dialogue.)

FLOW AND GAMEPLAY
  • Trader NPCs will now retain their Approval Rating of avatars and companions even after they're dismissed to Withers' Wardrobe.
  • Fixed

not dying and therefore not triggering the Game Over flow if you bring him to 0 HP outside of combat in

• Fixed not being able to talk to Minthara at camp if you dismissed her outside of camp.
  • Fixed Level Up not working as expected if you level up while the game is saving.
  • Fixed Hag's Bane not having an effect on

UI
  • Fixed text being cut off in the title of tutorial pop-ups.
  • Fixed button prompts getting cut off on the Multiplayer Settings screen on splitscreen.
  • Fixed some UIs not updating when saving, causing, for example, Shadowheart's inventory to appear empty when you recruit her on the beach.
  • Fixed the tadpole count in the Radial Menu on controller.

CONTROLLER
  • Fixed characters getting stuck when the Analog Stick Selection setting is set to Left Stick and you rotate the stick in circles as far as it can go.

ART
  • Added nipple covers to

for when the nudity filter is enabled.

LEVEL DESIGN
  • Moved Withers' Wardrobe in the crèche camp to avoid clipping with Shadowheart's tent.

Vyvian

Educated
This is it.
If you want more Minthara content everyone has to beeline for her and get those numbers up. At least that's what Swen said.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, how long will the early access+ period last? It feels like I played a scuffed version by playing it early, lol.

i have a weird feeling. i have absolutely, completely, totally *no* suspension of disbelief, in part fueled by the need to go to camp every two, max three fights, which breaks also any rythm. i get no fun, no entertainment from this, all i see is a series of minuscule pockets of uninteresting, dislodged happenings. every few steps there's some faceless bloke who somehow knows who you are, *what* you are, and it's not even shaken at all considering you're supposed to be a walking bomb of concentrated evil of destruction. on the contrary, everyone wants to fuck you.
trudging through this is exhausting.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What do people think about 5e as a whole?
Solasta and Baldur's Gate 3 would both be much better games without suffering from the restrictions of "D&D 5th edition" --- especially Solasta, which did not actually have a license to use D&D but pointlessly imposed the rules on themselves anyway.

The single worst aspect is the limitation to 4 party members, given the inherent value to turn-based, tactical combat in having a larger number of characters for more class variety and tactical options.

"D&D 5th edition" attempts to compensate for the small number of party members by turning from heroic fantasy into the superhero genre, where all characters, regardless of class, quickly accrue various zany abilities, which however are arbitrarily limited to one use per battle, short rest, or long rest.

There is the idiocy of the "short rest" mechanic, in which characters inexplicably recover half their hit points and certain abilities, by taking a quick break, which for some reason can only be performed twice in between a "long rest".

The concentration mechanic means that a large portion of spells (and non-spell abilities) are exclusive to each other, in that a caster can only have one spell/ability requiring concentration active at one time. This inevitably results in nearly all concentration spells/abilities being disregarded in favor of one or two that are most powerful for a given class and level.

Characters are nonsensically allowed to level up in any class, meaning a character can suddenly gain all sorts of abilities associated with another class by taking one level in it, which permits all sorts of overpowered, game-breaking combinations.

Both Solasta and BG3 would have been far superior if they had simply relied on a home-brewed combination of the six TSR editions of D&D/AD&D.
Even the 4-man party is the fault of 5E? I thought that's just for historical Larian reasons.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I overheard a conversation on a bus the other day:
Man: I've started playing Baldur's Gate 3
Girl: Hear hear! An intellectual man!
Girl: It's such an insanely good game
Girl: You can have sex with anyone.
Girl: People are doing speedruns to have sex as fast as possible

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
There is no bottom to human laziness. Not just modern video-games, but all media these days is incredibly expository precisely because most consumers absolutely do not want to put in the leg work of thinking about their media in any way. Watch Twitch and you'll see a lot of bottom-barrel losers struggle just to go right in Super Mario Bros.

The angry little Marxist in me wants to blames Capitalism. Consumer culture overworking the masses and turning all art into an escapist power fantasy, but really, looking at Soviet history shows this isn't an ideology thing, it's a human thing.

The baseline human does not have the capacity to think for himself unless a scary authoritarian tells him to.

Since BG3 is a big gay power fantasy, and that's how it's billed, it only serves to befuddle your average consumer when the escapism calls for a shred of perception.
You have become that which you purportedly deplore. Whatever it is you believe yourself to be doing, it isn't remotely right-wing.

Legitimate authority (based in authorship broadly understood - demonstrated achievement, value created, character formed) is anything but scary to the right, indeed it is the reliance on such that is source of the distinctive courage for which they are known.

Zariusz

Arbiter
Hmm... Did anyone noticed that in the whole game female NPC's dont wear dresses at all? Its especially visible in Act 3, besides that one tiefling in Druid Grove, Mayrina, drow whore in Wyrm Crossing and mage characters every woman wears men's clothing (sometimes with slightly more femine variants). I guess turning most of Sword Coast population into amerimutt cosplayers wasn't enough, interestingly enough baldurian commoners seem quite normal in intro cinematics.

This is fair.

The game tells you, through Lae'Zel, that you should seek out her Créche. This being an entry level alternative to seeking out Halsin.

It is much easier to go to the Créche than saving Halsin, it's obvious even. There is no indication that the patrol fight with Lae'Zel's commander on the way to the Créche is incomparably, comically, mean-spiritedly stacked against you. There is no winning that fight before lvl. 4 and even at lvl. 4 you're gonna have your work cut out for you.

The patrol isn't a fluke, Act 1 has tons of "Gotcha!" Fights that will smash you completely and utterly the first go-around.

If you're a cRPG fan this is annoying, but manageable. If you're not, it just feels arbitrary and poorly designed.

That patrol fight is no joke by the way. I find Lae'Zel's entire quest badly designed, and right from the get-go. I beat and destroyed the entire Goblin hoard before attempting the Githyanki fight again, and even then it took multiple tries.
You know what? I incidentally wrote at length about how poorly designed this encounter was, especially in EA, not because it really gave me any problem even back then, but I because was stressing how disingenuous it felt that that very first companion you met in the game never quitted for a second her attempts to pester the the player to rush toward this encounter, with the serious risk to put someone in an unwinnable situation.

Incidentally, that has NOTHING to do with what I was talking about, because if the people I referenced to were complaining about being crushed by the Githyanki patrol at level 3 I would absolutely understand their pain (even if there are ways around it).
But that's not the case.
These fuckers were whining about the goblin patrol in the Blighted Village tearing them a new one, about how HARD it was to get rid of Priestess Gut (are you fucking serious?), one even wrote a endless rant about how miserable it was for him to deal with the entire goblin camp at level 2 (how the fuck did you even get there so malnourished should be the question), etc.

These are not shortcomings of the game itself, frankly.
These are people crying their ineptitude to the heavens and getting fairly catty and over-defensive when they are not receiving the sympathy they were expecting, too.

Even the 4-man party is the fault of 5E? I thought that's just for historical Larian reasons.
This excuse is completely irrelevant, far from being a CORE factor of 5E and arguably even borderline retarded, so I'm not even sure why people keep mentioning it.
"Bu-but the official material suggests at least four players at a tabletop session".
Yeah, that has no fucking bearing whatsoever in how you'd design a CRPG, that's entirely on Larian.

OF COURSE the pen & paper sourcebook minimizes the need to gather a large number of people. What did they expect it would say "You better be at least six or seven friends every time you decide to sit down to play this?". That would immediately turn off half of the potential player base.
Incidentally Critical Role, one of the most popular "live campaigns" ever published on Youtube (or anywhere else, really) always involved at least six players.

volklore

Arcane
What fight in act1 is a total gotcha first go around except for gith patrol if you go early and maybe auntie? And even then Auntie is entirely solved by having magic missile so depending of whether or not you have it slotted when you first meet her you might not even have an issue.
EDIT : Maybe 3xOgres if you fail the checks. I got spanked by that fight when I ran into the conversation trigger with very little spells left.

Last edited:
What fight in act1 is a total gotcha first go around except for gith patrol if you go early and maybe auntie? And even then Auntie is entirely solved by having magic missile so depending of whether or not you have it slotted when you first meet her you might not even have an issue.
I don't think any other, frankly.
And even the gith patrol is a problem only if you get there under-leveled (which is admittedly possible), so I'm not sure what else the guy was referencing about.

Hagashager

Educated
This is fair.

You know what? I incidentally wrote at length about how poorly designed this encounter was, especially in EA, not because it really gave me any problem even back then, but I because was stressing how disingenuous it felt that that very first companion you met in the game never quitted for a second her attempts to pester the the player to rush toward this encounter, with the serious risk to put someone in an unwinnable situation.

Incidentally, that has NOTHING to do with what I was talking about, because if the people I referenced to were complaining about being crushed by the Githyanki patrol at level 3 I would absolutely understand their pain (even if there are ways around it).
But that's not the case.
These fuckers were whining about the goblin patrol in the Blighted Village tearing them a new one, about how HARD it was to get rid of Priestess Gut (are you fucking serious?), one even wrote a endless rant about how miserable it was for him to deal with the entire goblin camp at level 2 (how the fuck did you even get there so malnourished should be the question), etc.

These are not shortcomings of the game itself, frankly.
These are people crying their ineptitude to the heavens and getting fairly catty and over-defensive when they are not receiving the sympathy they were expecting, too.
>not using the Illithid power, Detect Thought or Diplomacy skills to convince the goblins not to attack you in Blighted Village.

The Goblin leaders were remarkably easy all things considered. I breezed through that shit by ratfucking everyone in the building from the rafters. It was awesome and exactly the kind of shit a GM would punish severely if it had been actual table-top. In the outer courtyard I called those three ogres you can strike a bargain with. They cleaned house while I watched. It was the kind of shit a GM would reward if it was actual table-top.

I know what you mean though, on r/bg3 there're a lot of people asking for help on such basic, menial problems. The kind of issues the in-game tutorial does go over.

To say nothing of the actually easy combats. I saw a thread about someone dying over and over to the intellect devourers in the crashed beach by Shadowheart.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Maybe it inspires some of these fine people to give the earlier titles in the series a shot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom