Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

volklore

Arcane
Seems to hint that BG3 was one-shot with D&D(I suspect there will be sequel DLC but that's just me), he also says that that he and the main team are now working on another project.
That would be pretty brave, if not a little silly, to just let go of all the work it took to implement the 5E shit in their engine and not consider making at least one other 5E game of sorts with it.
I feel like the main chunk of the coding would be done and it'd be an occasion to give some work to interns and juniors, without bothering them with the load of managing a project from the ground.
I think they will have the B team on definitive edition and maybe on an expansion ? That would be very strange if they didn't at least milk that cow. It's free money.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Reading about this game on more generalist boards will drive me insane.
The amount of "I had to lower the difficulty because this game was kicking my ass so hard" only to learn that they aren't even talking about a challenging boss fight, but about something barely past the tutorial makes very hard to not question them with a "Are you crippled by mental retardation?".
Just shows how far removed the codex is from the average gamer these days.

scytheavatar

Scholar
Also I find concentration mechanic quite limiting in a frustrating way. So many spells take concentration slot. It makes speellcasters feel a lot more constrained and a lot less fun that in PF games for example.

The whole point of the concentration mechanic is to remove the whole buffing routine nonsense in 3.5e and PF, which is lame and makes a complete mockery of magic:

The alternative would be to do what they did in PF 2e, which is to make all of the spells give out bonuses that do not stack. Both have the same outcome of nerfing spellcasting, which I would argue is well deserved cause spellcasting is overly powerful in 3e/PF 1e.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
Also I find concentration mechanic quite limiting in a frustrating way. So many spells take concentration slot. It makes speellcasters feel a lot more constrained and a lot less fun that in PF games for example.

The whole point of the concentration mechanic is to remove the whole buffing routine nonsense in 3.5e and PF, which is lame and makes a complete mockery of magic:

The alternative would be to do what they did in PF 2e, which is to make all of the spells give out bonuses that do not stack. Both have the same outcome of nerfing spellcasting, which I would argue is well deserved cause spellcasting is overly powerful in 3e/PF 1e.

Yeah it puts a premium on non concentration skills. That's why hunger of hadar is filthy. I don't mind the concentration mechanic. It's strategic.

I wish haste was just taken out of the game to be honest. It makes the game easy and not fun

volklore

Arcane

Except the main thing preventing the constant buffing is mostly that a lot of buffs are straight up removed or have niche uses. There are still buffs that last till long rests like FoM, deathward, feast of heroes, longstrider that do not take concentration.
For the most part Concentration in this game just prevents you from casting mutliple CC spells and make every wizard play the same. You concentrate on one spell and then you cast dmg spells that do not use concentration. It's objectively boring.

I don't really mind concentration in itself, I mind that at least half the spells are concentration. And most of them have nothing to do with buffing.

volklore

Arcane
I wish haste was just taken out of the game to be honest. It makes the game easy and not fun
It would be far less "broken" if Larian implemented it correctly.
I played the game with fixed haste and it doesn't change the difficulty much in a martial focused party. People autistically fixate on muh haste.
It's the least of the game's problem with difficulty.

The amount of "I had to lower the difficulty because this game was kicking my ass so hard" only to learn that they aren't even talking about a challenging boss fight, but about something barely past the tutorial makes very hard to not question them with a "Are you crippled by mental retardation?".
Nah, I think it just goes to show how fucking mentally impaired some people are.
Because even as someone new to a game/ruleset if I was constantly stomped by supposedly easy fights in a turn-based game my first reaction would be "Ok, I'm clearly doing something poorly, let's see how this is supposed to go" rather than "WAAAA, the world is unfair and everything is conspiring against my fully deserved chances of success".

Now, IF on the other hand knowing how the game works I would still dislike the result and conclude that "this system expects me to approach fights in a way that I don't enjoy" that would be another situation entirely.

I played the game with fixed haste and it doesn't change the difficulty much in a martial focused party. People autistically fixate on muh haste.
It's the least of the game's problem with difficulty.
I didn't ask for a re-evaluation of the entire game balance, I just made a factual statement: Haste is far less broken in its correct implementation since it just gives the player one extra attack rather than "refunding the entire Action" (which for a fighter at level 11 would equate to up to THREE extra attacks and for a caster equates to casting two leveled spells per turn).
"The game is unbalanced anyway" is not a rebuttal of it, in the same way "I don't like 5th edition anyway" never was a compelling argument.

Last edited:

volklore

Arcane
I don't disagree but the post you quoted said ''it makes the game too easy'' so it is a reflection on the game balance. Haste change isn't very different in spirit to the changes they made to jump, or the ability to cast multiple spells per round, and it certain doesn't affect the game as much as these changes yet people talk about haste more than anything. BG3 is not just 5E it's a DoS game based on a 5E base and that was obviously by design. So the main problem is the overall balance rather than a specific spell. 3 extra attacks on a fighter at the cost of 1 action + concentration slot on the caster is only as good as the game's balance allow it to be.
Main issue with haste is it's a no-brainer strat you can't go wrong with and game is not difficult enough to push you towards other spells, what I am pointing out is even fixing haste doesn't really change that (potion of speed are a problem though but that is another story). Fixing haste would just give an extra round to bosses to do... pretty much nothing to you anyway.
Even with the Larian haste, there are many cases when there are better ways to use your concentration to deny enemy turns even if you have a fighter to haste. The issue is that it doesn't matter because the game isn't difficult enough for better tactical choices to result in significantly different outcomes.

Last edited:

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
Looking back, I think I cast Haste just once during my entire playthrough, only to cancel it next turn because I forgot it uses concentration, but I did use a dozen or so Potions of Speed and I had Action Surge on my Paladin and Karlach.

I'm not sure I would have beaten the Gortash fight during the inauguration ceremony without the haste effect, unless I specced my party specifically for that encounter. Saving everyone in the underwater prison seems like a stretch without haste too. Everything else was a case of "I want to settle this in one round, rather than two."

Dumle

Novice
jfc

Vd2xMqI.png

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
The best kingmaker build was

scaled fist 2/paladin 2/archeologist 2/Dragon disciple 4/two handed fighter 3/thug 4/viv 3
Lol. Lmao.

View attachment 40861

Git Gud
Multicasting more than 2 is retarded and destroys any sens of role-playing in the game.
I kind of agree with that. Taking all those classes feels like number crunching build faggotry versus actually roleplaying. I like theory crafting builds too but I also like utilizing a skill set versus just churning out the biggest number possible. That's what's cool about tabletop DND. Using creative solutions to work your way through programs versus a simulation where you churn out big numbers
The assumption behind these takes is that they're actually good. They're not. They suck. The designers of the ruleset designed it to troll people who mindlessly do that.

Gobs are MAGA caricature.
They speak like inbred countryside anglos.
I woss Chessing the chickin innit mate!
Hhmm what did those belgians mean by this 1!!1?
Brexit butthurt

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They should have used minor and major concentration, or something like that, so you can actually bless without removing a high-damage spell from the cleric for example.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Nah, I think it just goes to show how fucking mentally impaired some people are.
Because even as someone new to a game/ruleset if I was constantly stomped by supposedly easy fights in a turn-based game my first reaction would be "Ok, I'm clearly doing something poorly, let's see how this is supposed to go" rather than "WAAAA, the world is unfair and everything is conspiring against my fully deserved chances of success".

Now, IF on the other hand knowing how the game works I would still dislike the result and conclude that "this system expects me to approach fights in a way that I don't enjoy" that would be another situation entirely.
Empirically it's not (just) a decline in intellect, although those measures aren't doing so hot either. In a world this information-rich the bottleneck is attention so they're used to entertainment of all types aiming first and foremost at holding theirs, often through a steady stream of (not so) well-disguised dopamine hits like the one-weird-trick phone games I rag on. Games like BG3 are a throwback to a time when everyone had more attention to invest and the appeal was how well the game rewarded that investment that it took for granted people were willing and able to make.

Perhaps they can't afford to go far enough that direction for our tastes, but at least some of the broad appeal of the Larian games is the window that they provide into that lost world, which I think accounts for the fact that those players are continuing to play it despite the complaints. It fascinates them.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
What is the best in Wyll?
nothing

Perhaps to win with Wyll is not playing with Wyll.

Personally, I was secretly hoping that Mizora could replace Wyll. I even have a feeling it was possible in an earlier iteration of the character...which 90% of players would have done and his writer would have had to write another series of angry tweets.
How did you ever get this impression?

Doc Mitchell's animation was better.

Well, that's only EA. This thigs were there from first version, it could be dated even on 2019-2020.

Vyvian

Educated
There's probably a LOT of people who never played this type of rpg before that are currently going through it so i'm not that surprised.
I'm seeing it with Playstation 5 players.
They seem to be getting frustrated with the exploration and lack of obvious directions. Even though the game does have quest markers of a sort it doesn't seem to be enough.

Hagashager

Educated
There is no bottom to human laziness. Not just modern video-games, but all media these days is incredibly expository precisely because most consumers absolutely do not want to put in the leg work of thinking about their media in any way. Watch Twitch and you'll see a lot of bottom-barrel losers struggle just to go right in Super Mario Bros.

The angry little Marxist in me wants to blames Capitalism. Consumer culture overworking the masses and turning all art into an escapist power fantasy, but really, looking at Soviet history shows this isn't an ideology thing, it's a human thing.

The baseline human does not have the capacity to think for himself unless a scary authoritarian tells him to.

Since BG3 is a big gay power fantasy, and that's how it's billed, it only serves to befuddle your average consumer when the escapism calls for a shred of perception.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom