Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Yosharian

Arcane
Although the setting is often called "medieval fantasy," the only possible explanation is that the inhabitants of the setting are degenerates who live in 1,000,000 AD. Technology is so advanced that it has gone ambient, but those who engineered it have passed, and the people who live in the setting have by and large forgotten how to employ it -- though wizards and other spellcasters stumble across methods that work in limited ways. (As an aside, the 3e PHB literally states this: That spellcasters stumble across things that work, but have no idea why. "If I do this and say that, this happens.")
There are quite a few books along such lines. The Viriconium series by M. John Harrison is a particularly famous one. More recently, Paul McAuley's War of the Maps, which takes place among humanlike degenerates -- reverted back to a stable almost-medieval state -- who live on a Dyson Sphere around a white dwarf in the distant year 10^30 AD.
If only someone had ever written a series of stories about a far-future dying earth in which magic is essentially mathematics, and if only that had influenced the magic system of Dungeons & Dragons. :M

Vance_The_Dying_Earth_cover__07217.1687451129.jpg
This book—particularly the first three stories—irritated me. I found its wizards to be contemptible creatures, morally inferior products of a degenerate age, capable only of memorizing a few detailed spells and casting them by rote (“Vancian Magic,” which later became a key element of “Dungeons and Dragons”). I was also appalled by their sexism: even the best try to fashion ideal women from scratch, while the majority desire only to catch women, cage them and rape them—the real reason for all their pathetic little spells. In addition, the book's prose—particularly the wizards' speeches—is grandiloquent and eccentric, harsh and grating, and crammed full of hard words. Such words—I remember thinking to myself—remind me of what Shakespeare's Angus says of Macbeth's titles: they “hang loose about him, like a giant's robe/ Upon a dwarfish thief.”

Based

Yosharian

Arcane
Another one:

The Dying Earth is an undisputed classic work of science-fantasy; everyone from Dean Koontz to Neil Gaiman has cited it as an important influence, and George R.R. Martin edited an anthology of original stories from some of the brightest stars in the field in honor of it and Vance. I read it many years ago and was suitably impressed, but recently listened to this audio version on a long drive with my wife and was disappointed. I thought the performance sounded unenthusiastic and uninspired, and my wife said it was downright misogynistic in places. It's a well-written portrait of a far-future world where magic has replaced science and has some interesting situations and characters, but it didn't really capture me this time around. Maybe it hasn't aged well, or maybe it's one of those stories that only works on paper.

Lmao

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
This is paladin behavior, or warrior behavior.
Ah yes, Paladins are known for screaming "I'LL FUCKING KILL YOU! I'LL SHIT DOWN YOUR NECKHOLE! AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!"

e: I suppose Paladins that take the Oath of Bulgaria might be. :smug:
Retribution/vengeance are paladin coded. Being rude about it can be a character trait. You lack fantasy, and are dull.
I don't accept the Oath system in the first place

This is paladin behavior, or warrior behavior.
Ah yes, Paladins are known for screaming "I'LL FUCKING KILL YOU! I'LL SHIT DOWN YOUR NECKHOLE! AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!"

e: I suppose Paladins that take the Oath of Bulgaria might be. :smug:
You have to imagine that christian crusaders were raging pretty hard after being humiliated so many times in a row by some random towelheads during the middle ages.

Reyvik

Novice
Obviously she would be pissed off and want revenge, anybody would be after several hundred years of imprisonment :) It's the manner I'm talking about. In my experience women aren't so blustery and vocal about their revenge - well, at least not until the actual kill shot. They're more passive aggressive and seething. That's why Dame Aylin's blustery manner seems off, whereas it's quite suitable for Ser Aylin.

i.e. the girlboss dialogue and the actress' girlboss acting translate pretty well to a male AI voiced character, is all I'm saying.
People like you shouldn't be a part of any creative process. You are drowning in so many stupid notions on how somethin or someone should act/work/function that it makes me sad. I know that it's mostly because you are racist and homophobe, but it's clearly a symptom of lack of imagination and narrowmindness. All these no alphabet people mods are funny jokes, ngl, but using them unironically is like removing everything from a dish and replacing it with some shit mush. You have a taste of literal garbage collector

Lambach

Arcane
Obviously she would be pissed off and want revenge, anybody would be after several hundred years of imprisonment :) It's the manner I'm talking about. In my experience women aren't so blustery and vocal about their revenge - well, at least not until the actual kill shot. They're more passive aggressive and seething. That's why Dame Aylin's blustery manner seems off, whereas it's quite suitable for Ser Aylin.

i.e. the girlboss dialogue and the actress' girlboss acting translate pretty well to a male AI voiced character, is all I'm saying.
People like you shouldn't be a part of any creative process. You are drowning in so many stupid notions on how somethin on someone should act/work/function that it makes me sad. I know that it's mostly because you are racist and homophobe, but it's clearly is a symptom of lack of imagination and narrowmindness. All these no alphabet people mods are funny jokes, ngl, but using them unironically is like removing everything from a dish and replacing it with some shit mush. You have a taste of literal garbage collector

WE GOT A LIVE ONE OVER HERE, BOYS, GET HIS ASS!

:mob:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

People like you shouldn't be a part of any creative process. You are drowning in so many stupid notions on how somethin or someone should act/work/function that it makes me sad. I know that it's mostly because you are racist and homophobe, but it's clearly a symptom of lack of imagination and narrowmindness. All these no alphabet people mods are funny jokes, ngl, but using them unironically is like removing everything from a dish and replacing it with some shit mush. You have a taste of literal garbage collector

But tell me what you really think :)

Reyvik

Novice
About the game? It's good. Memorable. But from what I experience reading this thread it probably is too hardcore for some of you, otherwise you wouldn't have to install mods to play it and not wet beds because you are too scared of fags and niggers

Lambach

Arcane
Speaking of fags (and not so much niggers), did anyone else think it was a downright miracle that the Sword Coast is a densely populated place and not a desolate wasteland? How do they even reproduce? Almost all NPC established couples you encounter are homo. The birthrate in Baldur's Gate has got to be 0.0001 or something.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
About the game? It's good. Memorable. But from what I experience reading this thread it probably is too hardcore for some of you, otherwise you wouldn't have to install mods to play it and not wet beds because you are too scared of fags and niggers

"Hardcore" lol

Not scared - repulsed, disgusted and irritated at the relentless, ideologically-motivated attempts to normalize in modern Product what is obviously not normal.

I did most of my first playthrough au naturel, I only started installing mods generally and "those" mods in particular when I became aware of them. That's what modding is for, isn't it? To tailor a game to your preferences? Or is that only preferences approved by Central Scrutinizer Reyvik?

HumanMaleFighter

Literate
The nigger removal mod makes the game much more immersive.

Seriously.

Were there any niggers in BG1 apart from Dynaheir? (And her a traveler from a distant and exotic land.) Sarevok/Koveras was obviously white, BTW.

What the fuck do they want us to believe happened to the Sword Coast between the events of 1 and 3?

VerSacrum

Educated
What the fuck do they want us to believe happened to the Sword Coast between the events of 1 and 3?

Same thing that happened to every major European city here in the real world. There's a 100-year gap between BG 1 and 3. What happened to Paris between 1924 and 2024?
WW2
Nah it's neighbors commented on the growing negrification of France in the 20's/early 30's already

KLA_1932_256.jpg

"France in 100 Years: The last non-coloured Frenchmen make for the grand attraction at the Paris Zoo"

And this isn't nazi propaganda mind you, just a generic weimar-era satire magazine from Berlin (Kladderadatsch)

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
It makes sense, the city is rife with corruption, the justice system is ineffectual, the police is headed by an incompetent lazy fuck, there are homeless people everywhere, murder happens in broad daylight. It's like Chiraq. Of course Baldurs Gate is also "the most diverse city in the Realms."

(Also it's probably not because compared to some other places, BG is a backwater.)

HumanMaleFighter

Literate
Sarevok/Koveras was obviously white, BTW.

Was voiced by a black man, you moron :hahano:

Zero evidence he was intended to be white in BG1.

You haven't played the game, have you?

https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Koveras

See also his character model: https://forums.beamdog.com/uploads/editor/zc/dt8ztsvbm1zd.gif

And, seriously, his portrait in ToB looks more middle eastern than negro. That's basically a textbook modern Egyptian phenotype.

Jeskis

Brother
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Will there be a chance to get rid of Gale in act III? Haven’t got one this far :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom