Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

jf8350143

Liturgist
It is very interesting how much stuff is randomized or has very specific triggers. I'm on my second dark urge run. I remember the first one the wood fey in the circus turned out to be orin fucking with my party. Now on the second playthrough she is actually the fey employed by the circus and not Orin.

Also on both playthroughs she shapeshifted into the rivington general blacksmith in order to mindfuck me. Only the first time around she murdered the blacksmith. This second time she runs off and he comes out of the shed accusing you of knocking him out.

I have no idea what I did differently on both playthroughs to have these (minor) different outcomes.
There are several NPCs who can be replaced by Orin. The first 3(or 2? Can't remember) you talk to will be replaced while the rest will not.

The blacksmith normally always gets replaced because he is most likely to be the first NPC you talk to.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Finally have some time to play this. I know nothing about D & D. Looking for a fairly easy (maybe slightly cheesy) playthrough mainly with magic/ranged combat ... have been looking at Bard, Sorcerer and Wizard mainly or maybe multi-class?
Any hints?
How about a Fiend Patron Warlock? Gets strong spells from the start and best ranged cantrip in the game he can freely spam - and Invocations that empower it, allow to push enemies, synergize well with Warlock's pretty much best spell: Hunger of Hadar, which is a large area Blind + Slow + DOT. Cast HoH, then use Eldritch Blasts to push enemies (back) inside the zone.
Personally I would pick Blade Pact, its also nice to swing a weapon now and then - and probably more effective up close.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Straight Warlock is bad in BG3, even on honor mode or whatever it was called. It doesn't scale well in a ridiculously high-magic environment, which BG3 is, so it requires extensive multiclassing to make decent and it still won't be as good as other classes.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I disagree. Its fine. Obviously comparatively much stronger on Honor mode, when you cannot stack base 3 attacks and multiply them x3 with Bloodlust Elixir and Haste.
But a Eldritch Blast Warlock doesn't even care much about that, since he can still spam his 3 rays 3 times.

Regardless, its one of the strongest classes early on, when the game is the hardest.
Flavorful and fun. With neat CC at level 3 and one of the strongest spells in the game spammable in every fight since level 5.

Eventually Sword Bards and Sorcerers do become stronger. But it is the most consistant and IMO better for players who don't only care about power in Act 3 end game.

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
I quite like using Wyll as a Paladin Bladeklock. Fit his story and it's pretty strong, both melee and ranged. It gives more flavour beyond EB and Hunger of Hagar.

Barbarian

Arcane
Every class is viable in this game, and I suspect every class combination also. In part because difficulty is not very high even in honour mode. In part also because itemization is very good and very extensive. You have access to so many special use arrows, potions, oils and bombs, even noncaster classes can fulfill niche roles. That is not to mention the amount of unique magic items. First playthrough I tried pure rogue assassin then multiclassed into gloom stalker. This one I was doing a fighter champion and rogue assassin multi but now decided to respec as pure rogue.

I reached the conclusion that I just like playing rogue period. It is fun to set positioning, hide, evade, all for that sweet sneak attack. On paper it is a weak class but with the right itemization it can reach the highest damage output in the game.

I'm using mulet of branding + killer's sweetheart ring for a guaranteed 4x critical every long rest. You will be doing 24d6 damage from sneak attack alone on this attack at level 11. It is doable only once every long rest but still very powerful. Deathstalker mantle is probably one of the best items in the game for rogues as well - auto invisibility upon killing is very powerful.

5e is really geared towards pure class playing I think. Multiclass is fun theorycrafting but most of these take several levels to become effective and by then half of the game will have gone by. Also the most powerful features usually are reached at higher class levels. Rogue gets the thick end of the shaft being that "reliable talent" is not so useful in this game due to inspiration point rerolls and endless roll buffs.

MerchantKing

Learned
How is this game treating the established world and lore of Faerûn?
I read you go with low level inside the underdark which is one of the most dangerous places and in the old games you are like LV 13-15 before you go down there.
It's quite faithful to the lore considering the amount of sexual degeneracy on display

MerchantKing

Learned
I read you go with low level inside the underdark which is one of the most dangerous places and in the old games you are like LV 13-15 before you go down there.
It's quite faithful to the lore considering the amount of sexual degeneracy on display
Especially from the gnomes.
There are no Gnomes in this game. There aren't even dwarves in this game. There are just halflings LARPing as Gnomes (and failing, not a single turnip plantation in game) and just fat halflings who grew a beard.

Barbarian

Arcane
The Duergar were alright. They also weren't fags or degens.

There is a reason why they didn't bring back Korgan you know.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Especially from the gnomes.
There are no Gnomes in this game. There aren't even dwarves in this game. There are just halflings LARPing as Gnomes (and failing, not a single turnip plantation in game) and just fat halflings who grew a beard.
Well at least they made them all faggots.

Yosharian

Arcane
So for my second run through the game, this time on honour mode, I have chosen Shadow heart (again) and Lae'zel to be my companions. (I'm saving Astarion + Minthara + Evil SH for my 3rd run in which I will be the most evil motherfucker to walk Faerun).

Which leaves me with a choice between Wyll and Karlach for my 3rd party member.

I decided to go with a hireling instead.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The Duergar were done completely and utterly wrong.

As evil and mercenary dwarves you mean? Why?

They were less over the top than Korgan and the other token duergars in the original series.
Duergar are not the type to go "WHAT HO MY GOOD ADVENTURER, WOULD YOU LIKE TO HELP ME FIGURE OUT THESE RUINS?"

In fact, they would try to kill regular dwarves on sight.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

They were less over the top than Korgan and the other token duergars in the original series.
Duergar are not the type to go "WHAT HO MY GOOD ADVENTURER, WOULD YOU LIKE TO HELP ME FIGURE OUT THESE RUINS?"

The duergar we meet are led by a priest of the new religion, which is obviously universalist and has all sorts of races in it.
And the one dork you talk about is clearly meant to be a scholar and not just some rando.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

The duergar we meet are led by a priest of the new religion, which is obviously universalist and has all sorts of races in it.
And the one dork you talk about is clearly meant to be a scholar and not just some rando.
They are mercenaries you dolt, that's why you get the option to betray Nere with them.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
fag.JPG

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom