Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter

Edit: Skip to 4:50, hints to new game somewhere in BG3

SmilingGorion

Literate
Surface level thinking with the anti-woke mods. The Better Aesthetics mod is probably the most sensible.
You've been lurking here since 2017, do you need to utter this word repeatedly as if these retard would understand what your statement means?

These retard literally too retarded to understand anything else except BLACK BAD, and sucking imaginary hitler cock.
You wrote "these retard" twice. Learn English, faggot.

SmilingGorion

Literate
I thought mods were old news.

PzY3GBb.png
What's up with people making Wyll White? It won't fix his underdeveloped writing and story.
Just ask modders to make an entirely new game at that point. Every bit of writing is underdeveloped.

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
I thought mods were old news.

PzY3GBb.png
What's up with people making Wyll White? It won't fix his underdeveloped writing and story.
Just ask modders to make an entirely new game at that point. Every bit of writing is underdeveloped.
They had to focus all their effort into giving Shadowheart not one , but two Flashbacks and entire act 2 for her companion quest. Be respectful towards Larian pls lmao.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I would argue that Forgotten Realms are fine as settings go. Not amazing but perfectly fine. We had games with good writing and story set in the universe.

It's Larian who drags the setting down with their writting.
The point of FR is that it's a kitchen sink setting and these games ALWAYS focus on the most cookie-cutter parts, namely the Sword Coast.
Make a game set in fucking Thay, I dare you.
Ed Greenwood's Forgotten Realms campaign focused on the Sword Coast, and virtually everything interesting about the setting as published by TSR was created by TSR (employees or contractors). Since the demise of TSR, the Forgotten Realms has simply been reverting to its origins as a campaign setting below even the level of generic pseudo-medieval fantasy, dominated by the Sword Coast as a Renaissance Fair version of contemporary America/Canada.

Gargaune

Arcane
Ed Greenwood's Forgotten Realms campaign focused on the Sword Coast, and virtually everything interesting about the setting as published by TSR was created by TSR (employees or contractors).
What about Cormyr and the Dalelands? Arguably the most prominent Faerun locations not on the Sword Coast and the linchpin of the Eastern Heartlands, been around since the first FR campaign setting and featured prominently in the second edition.

The new campaign setting contains:

A Grand Tour of the Realms – a 128-page book, concentrating on the Heartlands, the land of the Dales, Cormyr, and Waterdeep, and chock full of useful information about other significant Realms locations on the continent of Faerûn.

[...]

Greenwood also co-wrote the first and third novels in The Cormyr Saga with Grubb and Denning respectively, and the former's half palace intrigue and half historical encyclopedia. And reading it definitely gave me the impression that Grubb was handling the intrigue parts and Greenwood the history from the writing styles.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Virgin succubus?
I've thought Planescape is popular here.

Is great but is not perfect. I din`t liked that they went too far with FF7 style cinematic spells and some times went subversion for subversion sake with the case of the succubi in the game.

Make a game set in fucking Thay, I dare you.

I would love but would`t happen. Having a diehard magocracy full of slavery would cause so much butthurt and WoTC would never allow it and if allow it, would`t be thay, would be another "commiefornia" like country.

So it’s Divinity garbage

Divine Divinity and Ego Draconis was not bad imo. No, I`m not saying that are masterpieces, only that I liked a bit both. Imagine if Larian remakes DD and allow us to play with a optional turn based mode. That would be great.

axedice

Cipher
I suggest playing with Durge if you haven't already, it feels more like a Baldur's Gate game. Also evil playthrough was better than I expected, at least in the first two acts. Unfortunately act3 fails with C&C, there isn't a lot to do besides becoming the new murderlord and gaining access to the most OP item in the game (Bhaalist Armor) without cheesing. The level cap definetely reduces your enthusiasm in enganing with the mediocre parts of the last act.

I was positively surprised with Larian's itemization choices, they do cover up the mediocrity of 5e mechanics by offering up different builds. Concentration as a mechanic has all but gutted clerics to oblivion, and rogue's are only there for multiclassing. But almost all other classes/kits offer something of value combined with OP items, so finding and and abusing them to OTKs on bosses (without barrelmancy) in honor mode was kind of fun. I expected a lot less from Larian, but the game delivered on all side aspects from voice acting to music as well (that raphael fight was amazing in atmosphere, if not in difficulty). Special kudos to Sven here, he kept to his "vision" even with chinese overseers and did not release an unpolished mess only to be received as a cult classic.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I suggest playing with Durge if you haven't already
I was among those who thought that Durge is premade character so I didnt go for it.

Anyway it sounds like they are still tampering with evil choices so I am sitting on that one

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Special kudos to Sven here, he kept to his "vision" even with chinese overseers and did not release an unpolished mess only to be received as a cult classic.
The "chinese overseers" have no power over larian though. It's like minority stock holder, they can't push anything besides selling their shares.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
I suggest playing with Durge if you haven't already, it feels more like a Baldur's Gate game. Also evil playthrough was better than I expected, at least in the first two acts. Unfortunately act3 fails with C&C, there isn't a lot to do besides becoming the new murderlord and gaining access to the most OP item in the game (Bhaalist Armor) without cheesing. The level cap definetely reduces your enthusiasm in enganing with the mediocre parts of the last act.

I was positively surprised with Larian's itemization choices, they do cover up the mediocrity of 5e mechanics by offering up different builds. Concentration as a mechanic has all but gutted clerics to oblivion, and rogue's are only there for multiclassing. But almost all other classes/kits offer something of value combined with OP items, so finding and and abusing them to OTKs on bosses (without barrelmancy) in honor mode was kind of fun. I expected a lot less from Larian, but the game delivered on all side aspects from voice acting to music as well (that raphael fight was amazing in atmosphere, if not in difficulty). Special kudos to Sven here, he kept to his "vision" even with chinese overseers and did not release an unpolished mess only to be received as a cult classic.
Life, light and tempest clerics are some of the best classes in the game

axedice

Cipher
They have no abilities that won't be outshined by other classes/combinations. Life sucks outright, if you're spending your actions on healing your party instead of killing/disabling enemies, then you're not playing the game right. Improved warding flare does not justify having weak attacks/spells by itself and tempest cleric is just a 2 lvl dip on another caster (a subpar caster compared to fire variant imo). The only cleric spell worthy of a build is radiating orb/reverbration with spirit guardians, but you'll be better playing a lore bard with the same setup. Warding bond fills a specific niche early on in the campaign before you get the items, but that is as far as I'd go playing a cleric.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
They have no abilities that won't be outshined by other classes/combinations. Life sucks outright, if you're spending your actions on healing your party instead of killing/disabling enemies, then you're not playing the game right. Improved warding flare does not justify having weak attacks/spells by itself and tempest cleric is just a 2 lvl dip on another caster (a subpar caster compared to fire variant imo). The only cleric spell worthy of a build is radiating orb/reverbration with spirit guardians, but you'll be better playing a lore bard with the same setup. Warding bond fills a specific niche early on in the campaign before you get the items, but that is as far as I'd go playing a cleric.
I mean there's a bunch of good gear for healing that puts bonus effects on your party that makes life cleric very worthwhile. Lore bard is not better with a spirit Guardians build than light cleric.

axedice

Cipher
There are two healing based items worthy of mentioning: the bless ring and the blade ward gloves. Neither effect is powerful enough to warrant the use of a lousy base class that can not do anything else, especially after lvl5. You're even better off throwing potions. Lore bard is better than light cleric since it gets a second secret (counterspell or hadar) that can turn the tides of battles. And cutting words is a much more flexible and useful debuff than improved warding flare.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
There are two healing based items worthy of mentioning: the bless ring and the blade ward gloves. Neither effect is powerful enough to warrant the use of a lousy base class that can not do anything else, especially after lvl5. You're even better off throwing potions. Lore bard is better than light cleric since it gets a second secret (counterspell or hadar) that can turn the tides of battles. And cutting words is a much more flexible and useful debuff than improved warding flare.
Lore bard isn't going to have the necessary beef to get in close and apply spirit guardians like light cleric.

And I find both those items very powerful on life cleric. Generic high level cleric spells are very useful, not sure why you think otherwise.

Old Hans

Arcane
Life sucks outright
I dont know about that..I had shadowheart as a life cleric once and I thought she was totally awesome & its not like her dps was sorely needed

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom