Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Dishonoredbr

Erudite

This video has the same issue that take from every review about BG3, he hype up really common and normal features in almost any half decent rpg , like letting the player fail or missable content , as some uncommon sight. Maybe I'm just too familiar with how good RPGs are suppose to work and fail to grasp what a newcomer to the genre feels because i felt that 10 years ago.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
There is no missable content.

Although I guess they wore me out and I missed the end of Act2 and Act 3.

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
Finished the game just now.

It's pretty good. It make me wish we had a version of this game with a different set of rules or at least more classes. Bur for what's, BG3 is probably one of the rpg in the last 10 years.

ACt1 is the best one by far. It's most balanced, has the best quests and pace

Act2 is okay but imo it's too similar to Act 1 in terms of structure.

Act3 would be as good as Act1 if you had a higher level cap because once you get to level 12, it's quite hard to justify completing and exploring Act 3 because there's no reward or purpose other than completing 100%.

The story is okay. It has good moments but it begs for you to play as Good character.

The companions are good but they don't get the same level of attention. Shadowheart gets the best treatment, then Laezel and Astarion.

The rest are treated as a after thought. Karlach, Wyll and Halsin don't even get a full arc or their arc is completed in the most underwhelming way. Out nowhere Wyll decides to be The Blade of Avernus , Karlach just accept her fates and Halsin stop being relevant.

Jaehira and Misc are cool characters to bring to everything Bhaal related. That's it. Minthra is there too. Shadowheart gets too much , like half of Act 2 is Shadowheart related. It's insane.

For all the hype about the companions.. They aren't exctally revolutionary imo. They're good but none of them is AS good as someone like Mordin from Mass effect. But they have more character devemploment than most crpg, at least the "main three"

Combat is not hard but it's well designed. There's clear thought behind fights. The best part is Shove and Jump. It makes up for the really simple and really lackluster 5E system.. It's my first contact and really disliked lmao
Environment interactions are much better balanced , even if a bit too underused imo.

It's a pretty good crpg. Might be the best one if you didn't played a lot of them. I'm doing the epilogue now, I'm romance Lae'zel so my character is a Astral Projection.

Last edited:

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
Also I wish they had the balls and made us do a Wisdom skill checks for every Dark urge scene. Like that we would really feel like we were fighting against a Urge because playing a Good Dark urge is just way too easy.

It doesn't feel like a struggle to not give in to the dark urge..

If, after so many hours, he didn't realize that he could have reached an agreement with Minthara and then had her in the second act and beyond, it does not reflect well on his logical thinking skills, nor on his "critique" as such.

NKB is a Noah Caldwell Gervais type guy: presents himself as a rational, well composed type dude, but he ain't that smart, and the things he says often lack substance.

also RELEASE PATCH SEVEN SWEN. I AM NO LONGER ASKING. I WILL DRINK ALL OF YOUR BELGIAN BEER AND EAT ALL OF YOUR BELGIAN FRIES.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

If, after so many hours, he didn't realize that he could have reached an agreement with Minthara and then had her in the second act and beyond, it does not reflect well on his logical thinking skills, nor on his "critique" as such.

NKB is a Noah Caldwell Gervais type guy: presents himself as a rational, well composed type dude, but he ain't that smart, and the things he says often lack substance.

also RELEASE PATCH SEVEN SWEN. I AM NO LONGER ASKING. I WILL DRINK ALL OF YOUR BELGIAN BEER AND EAT ALL OF YOUR BELGIAN FRIES.

I assume they now want to finish what they didn't have time to do when they released the game a year ago. Maybe they'll add more than just a evil path. There are still some holes in the narrative.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
you fags still playing this? sheesh.
I wonder did you favella monkeys ever make a good game?

I assume they now want to finish what they didn't have time to do when they released the game a year ago. Maybe they'll add more than just a evil path. There are still some holes in the narrative.

The upcoming patch will be the last significant one though

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's happening: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1086940/view/4179982568653520452

Community Update #27 Official Modding Support

Hey everyone,

We come bringing news of Patch 7!

Finally,
we hear you say - but don’t get ready to throw yourself into our next patch just yet, we’ve got a lot of work to do to bring you our first iteration of modding tools, evil endings, plus a whole bunch of fixes, quality of life improvements, and more that we’ll go into detail about in a future Community Update!

Coming to you this September, the next major update for Baldur’s Gate 3 will also introduce an
officially sanctioned toolkit for giving Lae’zel a mullet
. I mean, sure, go for it. You only live once.

As we mentioned in our last Community Update, we want you to have the opportunity to test out Patch 7 and the Baldur’s Gate 3 Toolkit so you can share your feedback with us before it goes live!

Patch 7 testing is now being split into a two-phase process, which begins with working closely with a small team of mod authors from the community. This is our closed alpha stage, where they’ll be able to help us further develop the modding tools, and have a go at bringing their existing mods to life using our Baldur’s Gate 3 Toolkit.

The closed alpha is set to kick off today, June 3rd, and we’ll be inviting more mod authors to take part over time.

Come July, we’ll be opening registration for a further closed beta, capped at roughly 1,000 players, that anyone on PC can go ahead and sign up for - and we want you to test the mods created during the alpha!

With the intention of working through your feedback throughout the summer, it will give us time to polish off Patch 7 ready for release in September. In the meantime, we still have plenty coming your way, including some anniversary extravagance as we look back on the months since release. We’re also still pressing on with the development of an in-game photo mode, crossplay, and more fixes that will arrive later down the line!

Catch up on what’s coming in Patch 7 and view a teaser for the improved evil endings by reading our last Community Update here: https://larian.club/CU26

For now, we want to give you a little insight into what official modding tools mean for Baldur’s Gate 3, and have put together an FAQ that aims to answer some of your burning questions!

MODDING FAQ

Whether you are a seasoned modder excited to continue developing mods for Baldur’s Gate 3 or you are new to the scene and want to try your hand at bringing your ideas to life, our new modding pipeline aims to provide a convenient way for players and creators alike to access and manage mods across all platforms Baldur’s Gate 3 is released on, with improved compatibility, tools, and documentation.

First things first, what
is
a mod?

Whether you are turning fireballs pink, boosting the attack damage of a hand-wielded sausage, or bestowing all citizens of Faerûn with a personal handgun, modding lets you alter a game to change how it looks or behaves.

With the official Baldur's Gate 3 modding tools, you'll have what you need to add new weapons and armor, create new classes and subclasses, design new powerful spells, customise your game dice skins, and share your mods with a community of creators.

What does official support mean, as opposed to mods I’m using right now?

Updates to Baldur’s Gate 3 as well as conflicts between third-party mods can cause issues with game stability and prevent mods from working correctly. That’s where official support comes in.

We will never prevent modding outside of our own official pipeline, but implementing our own will improve compatibility and give us the opportunity to ensure they’ll work wherever you’re playing Baldur's Gate 3.

It’ll also ensure a smoother experience, at the cost of more script-focused modding, which can still be done outside of our pipeline. You’ll therefore have two choices for modding Baldur’s Gate 3, but we’ll only be able to officially support mods through mod.io.

Mod.io - what is it, and how does it work?

Mod.io allows us to bring modding support to all platforms, and provides the necessary infrastructure to allow you to download mods on both PC and Console, manage uploaded mods, host guides, and provide a level of content moderation to keep the community safe.

Will the support be rolled out in phases?

We are currently rolling out invites for the Baldur’s Gate 3 Toolkit on Steam to popular mod authors so they can explore the new modding environment, view the tools, and get familiar with the process of converting their mods and uploading them to the platform, or even try creating new ones.

At this early stage, participating mod authors will be able to provide us with direct feedback as we continue our internal development and testing. They will be using a live development environment, which means they’ll also get access to new features as they continue to be developed ahead of a full release.

Which platforms will be able to use and install mods?

Releasing first on PC, we expect to roll out the support to the wider community and various platforms shortly after - including for Mac players, as well as PlayStation and Xbox consoles.

Which platforms will be able to use the modding tools to create new mods?

Limitations in place on some platforms mean that while you will be able to browse, install, and use player-created mods, the official modding tools themselves will not be available to those playing on console.

PC players will have access to the Baldur’s Gate 3 Toolkit to create their own mods, and an internal curation process will determine which of these mods become available for those on console.

How are mods curated for PC and console?

On PC, general stability and Terms of Service checks will be carried out before a mod becomes available in the game’s browser. On console, an additional curation process confirms which of these PC mods become available for cross-platform support. While not all PC mods will become available for console, we’ll be sure to publish guidelines to help you understand what kind of content will pass our necessary checks - without blocking any unsupported creative mods on PC - so that we can continue supporting the modding community both inside and outside our official pipeline.

What mods won’t be available through mod.io?

Baldur’s Gate 3, as a Dungeons & Dragons game licensed by our partners, has certain guidelines in place to ensure the integrity of the game’s universe.

That said, we want to support as much creative freedom as possible.

Our goal with mod.io and our partners is to strike a balance that allows for extensive modding while keeping the guidelines in mind, and to open the door for mods to reach as many players as possible while ensuring they work seamlessly across different platforms. While some NSFW mods and certain script-heavy modifications may not be supported through the official pipeline, modding outside of our pipeline will still be an option.

For cross-platform support, direct level editing and changes to core game elements (like story, cinematics, dialogues, quests, and local gameplay adjustments) can’t be facilitated due to technical constraints and platform-specific guidelines.

We’ll be working with our partners to explore ways to expand modding possibilities within these constraints and provide clear guidelines to help everyone understand what is possible.

I want to do things your modding pipeline doesn’t support. How will mod.io handle unsupported mods?

Changes that won’t be officially supported within our pipeline, like scripting changes or NSFW mods that wouldn't pass the moderation process due to platform-specific restrictions, may still be packed locally with mod.io’s toolset and uploaded to other mod distribution platforms!

This means that those mods can still be downloaded manually, and the game’s browser will still
recognise them and allow you to manage them in the mod load order of the game. However,
because they would be local and alter unsupported systems, there will not be embedded
support for checking for updates and syncing to others in a multiplayer session. Additionally, we will not be able to provide full technical support in case of crashes.

We understand and appreciate the hard work and dedication of the modding community, and have no plans to limit modding to our official pipeline. We are committed to supporting the modding community as comprehensively as we can, and can’t wait to see what ideas you bring to life!

Will Larian Studios provide any guidance for unsupported mods?

We are currently seeing how far we can offer guidance for unsupported mods, which - at present - includes discussing whether we create official scripting API documentation, and whether we introduce internal testing for the Script Extender and other tools to support compatibility between patches where possible. However, while we can guide, we cannot offer support for mods outside of our pipeline.

Is there a long-term support plan for providing official modding support?

Outside of critical fixing post-release, we do not currently have the technical capacity to provide long-term support while also lending our focus to future projects.

What will the Baldur’s Gate 3 Toolkit consist of?

Beyond game code architecture for managing mods, we will release a subset of our internal development tools as part of the Baldur’s Gate 3 Toolkit. This will let you:
  • Access the editor to create your own mods.
  • Upload mods directly to mod.io servers.
  • Load levels read-only to look at all the local entities, as well as the setup, and test your mods in-game while creating them.
  • Get access to our internal editors for supported asset types such as textures and visual models, allowing you to override them directly in your mod through the developer interface.
  • Publish your mod via the editor where it will be moderated and made visible in the in-game browser, or pack your mod locally to upload to a third-party site.
  • Mod UIs through file editing. We will provide documentation that will explain how our internals are set up to solve mod loading/compatibility issues.
  • Within Baldur’s Gate 3 itself, you’ll be able to:
    • Download and manage your mods directly.
    • Manage multiplayer and save game files through a verification UI.
What’s included as part of mod.io?

Mod.io provides moderation tools that allow us to curate mods for console, as well as offers a hosting and distribution solution for your mods, which you will be able to access through mod.io, or through our website. You’ll also be able to subscribe or unsubscribe from mods in-game with our mod browser.

You’ll need a mod.io account to manage and create your mods, where you’ll be able to upload, tag them, as well as add screenshots, descriptions, and other stuff.

If you’d like to view the full FAQ, please head over to our Discord at: https://discord.gg/larianstudios

This is all very exciting stuff, and we’re looking forward to working with mod authors, and can’t wait to see what you create!

Last edited:

flyingjohn

Arcane
It is WOTC. They are gonna copyright strike anything that isn't cosmetic only. There is also no editor so good luck making anything new.
Neverwinter nights and unlimited adventures remain the gold standard for custom stuff.

Oberon

Learned
It is WOTC. They are gonna copyright strike anything that isn't cosmetic only. There is also no editor so good luck making anything new.
Neverwinter nights and unlimited adventures remain the gold standard for custom stuff.
The editor for D:OS never really took off but for D&D this would have certainly been a different story. If I were Larian I would have prioritized releasing a fully functional and easy to use editor on release (and have built the game with said editor)
Missed opportunity.
Also, I never understood why Owlcat didn't go this route with Pathfinder, it could have been the next NWN.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/ba...s-it-would-have-been-a-crime-against-humanity

Baldur's Gate 3 once had a portable hole, but Swen Vincke says it would have been a "crime against humanity"​

"We had to remove it, but it was fantastic."

I'm sure you could fill a bottomless pit with the things Larian decided not to add to Baldur's Gate 3. One of those things was, in fact, a bottomless pit. Not just a bottomless pit, but a conveniently portable, Looney Tunes-esque hole into which you could seemingly chuck everything from items and equipment to characters. Speaking to me during the same interview in which they discussed long-abandoned plans for bringing back Baldur’s Gate 1’s Candlekeep, Larian CEO Swen Vincke and Baldur’s Gate 3 lead writer Adam Smith (RPS in peace) touched on the subject with tantalising brevity. Argh, if only I hadn’t had to run off and catch a taxi, I’d still be there now, discussing the many applications of a portable hole. Bypassing carrying capacity limits would just be the start of it.

The hole came up during a discussion of whether Larian have considered testing any smaller, more focussed videogame concepts, perhaps to let younger developers try their wits on something less sprawling than a Baldur’s Gate. “Oh, you mean within Larian in terms of incubation? But there's always stuff happening that you never see,” Vincke began. “I think people still underestimate how much work these big RPGs are already, and how many components there are in there - you never see a lot of small things that are being done, but there's a lot of innovation happening, other things that never see the daylight.”

“You see small groups, and juniors in those small groups, you know, they'll bring the things that they care about,” Adam added. “You can see, I think, in Baldur’s Gate 3 that there were a lot of scripters who are immersive sim fans, and who are bringing ideas from elsewhere. The world is sandboxy, and within that they are playing with their favourite genres. I get to play with horror, you know, one of my favourite genres, in the storytelling. An RPG of that scale, you’re kind of making lots of things all at the same time. So there's definitely the space to do that.”

There’d have been even more space if one particular cosmic impossibility hadn’t been left on the cutting room floor. “There's one mechanic in particular that I'm thinking of that they brought in,” said Vincke, apparently in reference to the aforesaid scripters. “It was fantastic. It was just we couldn't make it work in all cases, so we had to remove it, but it was fantastic. And it was a portable hole, which is like a mechanic, so you could basically throw down a hole, you can throw people in it, and then you could start doing all kinds of abusive mechanics in the game.” My audio is a bit smudgy here – Vincke may have said “abusive” or “abuse of mechanics”, both of which would make sense in context.

Larian’s QA staff ultimately “vetoed” the idea, which strikes me as a display of utmost sanity and powerful self-respect from testers who do not wish to spend the rest of their mortal lives hotfixing a pocket-sized infinity. “When you see all the things that [our QA director] had to go through just to be able to test this game - really, adding anything else to that would have been a crime against humanity,” Vincke noted.

Still, we players do not have to worry about patching out bugs and exploits, and are free to mourn the hole-based playthroughs that might have been. Seriously, I can think of any number of uses for a portable bottomless pit and barely any of them are sexual. The obvious one is trying to dump the entirety of Baldur's Gate 3 inside it – mindflayers, tieflings, cheese, Medallions of +5 Whatever, rehaired cats, cities, the Underdark, etcetera.

I can imagine an endgame version of the Sword Coast that consists of Tav balancing on the last remaining barrel, hole in hand, surrounded by coruscating silver strands of pure absence. Tav catches your gaze and winks. Then they stuff themselves into the hole, from ankle to head, reaching out as they vanish to grab the barrel and yank it into the hole as though corking a bottle. Years later, while playing Larian's next game (not Baldur's Gate 4), you notice a strange little dark spot. You right-click the spot and the entirety of Baldur's Gate 3 appears in your inventory. Hopefully, we'll have bigger SSDs by then.

Stokowski

Arcane
I thought mods were old news.

PzY3GBb.png

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
The story is terrible, the companions are terrible and this maybe controversial but the setting is terrible. Forgotten realms is lame and gay. You really have to be a faggot to enjoy this setting.

The best thing about the game is the turn based combat. Honor mode was a big improvement to the balancing as well and made this one of the better gameplay RPGs in recent memory.

Rhobar121

Scholar
The story is terrible, the companions are terrible and this maybe controversial but the setting is terrible. Forgotten realms is lame and gay. You really have to be a faggot to enjoy this setting.

The best thing about the game is the turn based combat. Honor mode was a big improvement to the balancing as well and made this one of the better gameplay RPGs in recent memory.
What's controversial about the setting being terrible?
Generic settings like Forgotten Realms rarely have anything to defend themselves with.
It doesn't help that there has been a lack of a coherent vision over the years and then you end up mixing everything you can.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

What's controversial about the setting being terrible?
Generic settings like Forgotten Realms rarely have anything to defend themselves with.
It doesn't help that there has been a lack of a coherent vision over the years and then you end up mixing everything you can.
Generic pseudo-medieval fantasy settings are a step up from the Forgotten Realms and its Renaissance-Festival LARPing version of contemporary America/Canada. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom