Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
The story is terrible, the companions are terrible and this maybe controversial but the setting is terrible. Forgotten realms is lame and gay. You really have to be a faggot to enjoy this setting.

The best thing about the game is the turn based combat. Honor mode was a big improvement to the balancing as well and made this one of the better gameplay RPGs in recent memory.
What's controversial about the setting being terrible?
Generic settings like Forgotten Realms rarely have anything to defend themselves with.
It doesn't help that there has been a lack of a coherent vision over the years and then you end up mixing everything you can.
I got some pushback when I said the setting was dogshit before. This setting even ruined Paladins. They're dedicated to an oath instead of a diety? Gay AF. Any race can be paladins, not just humans? Gay. They don't really feel like holy knights to me.

What's up with people making Wyll White? It won't fix his underdeveloped writing and story.
When you hate the game but you have to play it

quote-i-experimented-with-marijuana-a-time-or-two-and-i-didn-t-like-it-and-i-didn-t-inhale-bill-clinton-304580.jpg

Larianshill

Arbiter
3.5 had atheist clerics - not good, obviously, but still real. Evil and chaotic neutral paladins also have a long history, although never in PHB itself.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
This setting even ruined Paladins. They're dedicated to an oath instead of a diety? Gay AF

Yes!!!

Paladins should be religious warriors of a lawful good deity. If you wanna include "evil" or "chaotic" """"paladins"""", call it Templar, blackguard, death knight or anything except Paladin.

3.5 had atheist clerics - not good, obviously, but still real.

3.5e is from WoTC, in other words, is fanfic for me. Anything not made by TSR is fanfic for me. And atheist clerics, what is next? Virgin succubus?

jf8350143

Liturgist
I would argue that Forgotten Realms are fine as settings go. Not amazing but perfectly fine. We had games with good writing and story set in the universe.

It's Larian who drags the setting down with their writting.

Hydro

Educated
Forgotten Realms has seen the same measure of decline as any other piece of entertainment last couple decades: dumbing down, infantilizing, going for the lower denominator, not to mention the wokeism plague. It was okay back then, I liked it for it being not too high fantasy, but rather grounded and not shunning from being gritty and violent at times.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
I would argue that Forgotten Realms are fine as settings go. Not amazing but perfectly fine. We had games with good writing and story set in the universe.

It's Larian who drags the setting down with their writting.
The point of FR is that it's a kitchen sink setting and these games ALWAYS focus on the most cookie-cutter parts, namely the Sword Coast.
Make a game set in fucking Thay, I dare you.

Surface level thinking with the anti-woke mods. The Better Aesthetics mod is probably the most sensible.
You've been lurking here since 2017, do you need to utter this word repeatedly as if these retard would understand what your statement means?

These retard literally too retarded to understand anything else except BLACK BAD, and sucking imaginary hitler cock.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
Surface level thinking with the anti-woke mods. The Better Aesthetics mod is probably the most sensible.
You've been lurking here since 2017, do you need to utter this word repeatedly as if these retard would understand what your statement means?

These retard literally too retarded to understand anything else except BLACK BAD, and sucking imaginary hitler cock.
I guess you'll feel more comfortable on reddit fag.

Hydro

Educated
Closer to d&d would be an essential mod, but would require revamping the whole game in order to be playable.

Swen is your cuck squad planning to implement a pure d&d game mode?

Old Hans

Arcane
You'd still be dealing with 5E.
every time I want to play a cool necromancer character in Baldur's Gate 3, I always remind myself its 5th edition which requires me to slog through five levels of generic wizard horseshit before I can even summon a single skeleton.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
every time I want to play a cool necromancer character in Baldur's Gate 3, I always remind myself its 5th edition which requires me to slog through five levels of generic wizard horseshit before I can even summon a single skeleton.

Did you played 2E? Necromancer specialized magic users only can learn animate dead at lv 9, while clerics could learn it at lv 5 an lvling up magic users took more xp and you need to find a scroll and roll to learn it, you can`t learn by leveling up. 3E is not that different, just a bit more generous(you can learn it in 7th level and learn spells by lvling up). Not having cool spells is a huge part of low level D&D. 5e is generous enough to give much more hp and at will cantrips.

In both OwlCat pathfinder games, you will play for many hours before being able to summon undead too.

And solasta, the other 5e game? You can`t even play as one.

BG3 also added stuff like book of thay and has locations where you can summon undead without corpses.

Closer to d&d would be an essential mod,

The changes made by Larian aren`t that bad. Like, not having attunement slots, allowing you to cast mist step and a spell and the homebrew illithid powers where cool imo.

Last edited:

Old Hans

Arcane
Did you played 2E? Necromancer specialized magic users only can learn animate dead at lv 9, while clerics could learn it at lv 5 an lvling up magic users took more xp and you need to find a scroll and roll to learn it, you can`t learn by leveling up. 3E
I can forgive having to slog through several levels of generic wizard to become a master necromancer, but what I cannt forgive is that I cant even look like a crazy old necromancer thanks to Baldurs gate 3 designing some of the gayest looking armor outfits since Dragon Age

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
I actually think they do a pretty good job with necros and summons. Can actually base the entire party/strategy around it. Can't do that in BG2.

I like the concentration aspect too. Does a decent job balancing out OP spells. One thing I don't like is how OP charisma is. The best spell casting and utility stat. Should be some balancing there.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I heard you’re a sucker for a cheap power fantasy, didn’t know it’s that bad.

What is the problem with power fantasy? If I wanna read Bastard!! which is power fantasy to the extreme, what is the problem? About the powers, the unique problem is the lack of consequence for using them. About the dumbification of rule, is 5E, as braindead as a ruleset can be.

Hydro

Educated
What is the problem with power fantasy? If I wanna read Bastard!! which is power fantasy to the extreme, what is the problem? About the powers, the unique problem is the lack of consequence for using them. About the dumbification of rule, is 5E, as braindead as a ruleset can be.
The problem is the bad taste.

As for the 5e, Larian have dumbified it even further, hence it’s kinda stupid argument.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom