Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
For how disjointed it can be, Act 3 still has some of the best setpieces in the game.
That last fight had me confused as hell though.
Why even bother with 5 turn limit if the damned cerebrum was gonna disappear the platforms you stand on?

For how disjointed it can be, Act 3 still has some of the best setpieces in the game.
That last fight had me confused as hell though.
Why even bother with 5 turn limit if the damned cerebrum was gonna disappear the platforms you stand on?
I have honestly no idea of what you are referring to, because it never took me more than these 5 turns.

That aside, the last fight wasn't exactly what I was thinking of.
More stuff like the Iron Throne, the House of Hope, etc.

Ravenswood

Literate
Just finished the game as a Druid, and honestly? I'm really not a fan. Seems to have 2 major problems. 1. A lack of interesting combat encounters. 2. An insistence on wasting the players time.

You would think a game like this that decides to limit combat encounters so that they aren't very frequent would at least be able to pull something interesting when they finally do decide to provide some encounters. I can count on 1 hand the interesting encounters.

1. Act 1 had 0.

2. Act 2 had the final part of the final encounter, maybe, and the optional fight with the fatty in Shar's temple (I hate how this game seems to want you to talk/dice roll your way out of an interesting encounter by trying to make half the participants bail through a persuasion check constantly).

3. Act 3 had the final encounter sans-brain portion and the Vampire fight. Bosses like Saravok, Orin, and Gotash were jokes. Not usually a fan of Larian but DOS2 did a much better job at encounters, and I think it even had more in general.

If you're going to put less encounters, at least make the ones you do have good. Don't get me started on all the little annoying things they do that just serve as time wastes, making 20 hours of game into 100 hours.

What combat encounters do you people think were actually interesting in this game? A game like Solasta has harder encounters in the first dungeon.

What combat encounters do you people think were actually interesting in this game? A game like Solasta has harder encounters in the first dungeon.
No, it didn’t? For all its merits about adapting the D&D mechanics faithfully (more faithfully than Larian, in fact, despise being the one of the two without the official license and basically FORCED to add a bunch of homebrew stuff), Solasta was kinda notorious for its plain encounter design and the easy fights.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Solasta was kinda notorious for its plain encounter design and the easy fights
Does have some encounters that were standouts, like the one with the vampires. I think Solasta is a greater victim of dnd difficulty falling off a cliff after level than BG3.
Though the custom modules are better I hear.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
Just finished the game as a Druid, and honestly? I'm really not a fan. Seems to have 2 major problems. 1. A lack of interesting combat encounters. 2. An insistence on wasting the players time.

You would think a game like this that decides to limit combat encounters so that they aren't very frequent would at least be able to pull something interesting when they finally do decide to provide some encounters. I can count on 1 hand the interesting encounters.

1. Act 1 had 0.

2. Act 2 had the final part of the final encounter, maybe, and the optional fight with the fatty in Shar's temple (I hate how this game seems to want you to talk/dice roll your way out of an interesting encounter by trying to make half the participants bail through a persuasion check constantly).

3. Act 3 had the final encounter sans-brain portion and the Vampire fight. Bosses like Saravok, Orin, and Gotash were jokes. Not usually a fan of Larian but DOS2 did a much better job at encounters, and I think it even had more in general.

If you're going to put less encounters, at least make the ones you do have good. Don't get me started on all the little annoying things they do that just serve as time wastes, making 20 hours of game into 100 hours.

Hag fight was fun the first time but then you realize it's a cakewalk as long as you have magic missile.

There are some decent fights though. The gnoll fight is pretty good if you don't use illithid wisdom and are a low level. The duegrar fight at the abandoned village is good.

Those are probably the best two

Does have some encounters that were standouts, like the one with the vampires. I think Solasta is a greater victim of dnd difficulty falling off a cliff after level than BG3.
Though the custom modules are better I hear.
There were a handful of fights (some of which even optional) involving "legendary actions", but for most of its course Solasta was just "smooth cruising and smashing things on the road".
It wasn't exactly BAD, to be clear, but as you guessed the power curve is decidedly skewed in favor of the party. Even more than it is in BG3.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
The main problem with bg3 difficulty is the game doesn't limit your resources. You have camp supplies out the ass so you can long rest anytime you want. There are very few sections of the game that lock you out of content for long resting or flat out don't allow it. They needed more of that or to limit camp supplies.

There's way too many potions, special arrows and scrolls. Strength elixir spam is retarded. You don't have to make any choices in your build. I'm a paladin dumping strength so I can still have amazing support capabilities by maxing charisma, decent initiative from dex and pump out damage with strength elixirs. You should be either sacrificing your support capabilities or your raw damage.

Same with monk tavern brawler. I max dex for defense and initiative and dump strength but still have maxed out strength via elixirs for tavern brawler. So you get everything with no sacrifice. Strength elixirs should have been deleted from the game or last like 10 turns

Old Hans

Arcane
Just play honor mode if you want challenge.
the legendary boss moves are cool, but the AI is still dumb as a brick. it's so easy to unintentionally bamboozle the AI.

BUT I will say playing a single solo character with no companions is a lot of fun.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Doesn't address the over abundance of long resting, potions, elixirs, ect
You can make the game really difficult in custom mode though:

https://www.gamesradar.com/baldurs-gate-3-custom-mode-difficulty/

For example:

Camp Cost Multiplier: Determines how many camp supplies you need for a Long Rest. With a multiplier of 1, you need 40 camp supplies per Long Rest, but you can set the multiplier to as high as 3 (120 supplies/Long Rest) or as low as 0.5 (20 supplies/Long Rest).

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Camp Cost Multiplier: Determines how many camp supplies you need for a Long Rest. With a multiplier of 1, you need 40 camp supplies per Long Rest, but you can set the multiplier to as high as 3 (120 supplies/Long Rest) or as low as 0.5 (20 supplies/Long Rest).

x3 supply is nothing

Ravenswood

Literate
This is a silly response that people like to give. The idea that if a game isn't tough enough you need to play with a single save file and not make a single mistake. Judging off of my tactician playthrough, I would have lost because of something silly like a friendly npc walked into a moonbeam during combat and now everyone is hostile.

There should be a healthy balance between beating the final battle in one try with a standard party of no multiclassing, and having a single save file.

The obvious solution is for larian to provide more interesting combat encounters on reasonable difficulties rather than iron man modes. The game isn't nearly good enough for me to play through again, whether that is an iron man mode or custom difficulty shenanigans. I can't image resource multipliers making a huge difference, since the lowest I ever got to was 800 camp supplies, and highering it too much would be a headache in scavenging random barrels for grapes. I would imagine the game would be easy enough to beat using only partial rests Anyways.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter

x3 supply is nothing
Okay then mod it.

For 99% of people the game is hard enough and gives you enough options to tweak the game to your liking imo.

Last edited:
Shitposter
The game isn't nearly good enough for me to play through again,
It's silly to think that Larian should prioritize the opinion of "Ravenswood" from reputable shithole "RPG Chudex", and tweak the game to your liking.

The current setting is fine for most. You are unfortunately not most, and not priority.

Because BG3 is an objective success instead of looking outward, you should look inward. It's not the game problem.

MerchantKing

Learned
Act 1 had 0.
There was that spider queen which you can trivialize by using barrel mechanics. And then there is the mass combat you have to do as you do your part by purging the area of demons, hippies, and goblins.
Act 2 had the final part of the final encounter, maybe, and the optional fight with the fatty in Shar's temple (I hate how this game seems to want you to talk/dice roll your way out of an interesting encounter by trying to make half the participants bail through a persuasion check constantly).
If you get rid of the masonic hippies as you should, then that first fight in the tower can be interesting because of that tranny orc's gravity attack. But alas, this is trivialized by barrel mechanics.
Act 3 had the final encounter sans-brain portion and the Vampire fight. Bosses like Saravok, Orin, and Gotash were jokes. Not usually a fan of Larian but DOS2 did a much better job at encounters, and I think it even had more in general.
That underground dragon is an honorable mention just because it is a dragon. But alas, it is trivialized with barrel mechanics and even some spells. I actually forgot about those other fights you mentioned. Did mention that you should've also purged the entire city of all its degenerate denizens?

There's only one way to play and enjoy this game and it's only good for one playthrough. Kill all NPCs with your custom party after buying up the only worthwhile loot in the shops. After that, you delete this game which you torrented from the computer and never touch it again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom