Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Yosharian

Arcane
Nah it's more like bronze standard

Still pretty good though

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
mhh Gold Standard... no I think it will play a massive role in moving the RPG genre away towards a different audience, a much more gay audience.

enjoy fully voiced homosexual romances in every rpg for the next 10 years now

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
mhh Gold Standard... no I think it will play a massive role in moving the RPG genre away towards a different audience, a much more gay audience.

enjoy fully voiced homosexual romances in every rpg for the next 10 years now

Speaking of Romans:

Constantine eventually figured out that homo was insufficiently sexual so adopted Christianity. His empire lived another 1,200 yrs. Give us roles to play that suck less too.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
Act 1 had 0.
There was that spider queen which you can trivialize by using barrel mechanics. And then there is the mass combat you have to do as you do your part by purging the area of demons, hippies, and goblins.
Act 2 had the final part of the final encounter, maybe, and the optional fight with the fatty in Shar's temple (I hate how this game seems to want you to talk/dice roll your way out of an interesting encounter by trying to make half the participants bail through a persuasion check constantly).
If you get rid of the masonic hippies as you should, then that first fight in the tower can be interesting because of that tranny orc's gravity attack. But alas, this is trivialized by barrel mechanics.
Act 3 had the final encounter sans-brain portion and the Vampire fight. Bosses like Saravok, Orin, and Gotash were jokes. Not usually a fan of Larian but DOS2 did a much better job at encounters, and I think it even had more in general.
That underground dragon is an honorable mention just because it is a dragon. But alas, it is trivialized with barrel mechanics and even some spells. I actually forgot about those other fights you mentioned. Did mention that you should've also purged the entire city of all its degenerate denizens?

There's only one way to play and enjoy this game and it's only good for one playthrough. Kill all NPCs with your custom party after buying up the only worthwhile loot in the shops. After that, you delete this game which you torrented from the computer and never touch it again.
You know you don't have to use barrel mechanics right?

MerchantKing

Learned
Act 1 had 0.
There was that spider queen which you can trivialize by using barrel mechanics. And then there is the mass combat you have to do as you do your part by purging the area of demons, hippies, and goblins.
Act 2 had the final part of the final encounter, maybe, and the optional fight with the fatty in Shar's temple (I hate how this game seems to want you to talk/dice roll your way out of an interesting encounter by trying to make half the participants bail through a persuasion check constantly).
If you get rid of the masonic hippies as you should, then that first fight in the tower can be interesting because of that tranny orc's gravity attack. But alas, this is trivialized by barrel mechanics.
Act 3 had the final encounter sans-brain portion and the Vampire fight. Bosses like Saravok, Orin, and Gotash were jokes. Not usually a fan of Larian but DOS2 did a much better job at encounters, and I think it even had more in general.
That underground dragon is an honorable mention just because it is a dragon. But alas, it is trivialized with barrel mechanics and even some spells. I actually forgot about those other fights you mentioned. Did mention that you should've also purged the entire city of all its degenerate denizens?

There's only one way to play and enjoy this game and it's only good for one playthrough. Kill all NPCs with your custom party after buying up the only worthwhile loot in the shops. After that, you delete this game which you torrented from the computer and never touch it again.
You know you don't have to use barrel mechanics right?
If Larian didn't want you to use them, they wouldn't have put it into the game and used it so heavily in their promotional material. What are you going to say next? That you didn't exploit the broken jump (is it fixed yet?) on release to let you quadruple your movement or the 100m shoves that let you push an enemy off a cliff from the other side of the map?

Rhobar121

Scholar
Using barrels is another matter and in most cases it's more work than it's worth.
If someone wants to waste a few minutes doing the same thing as a single fireball, that's their business, I won't tell anyone how to play the game.

Ravenswood

Literate
The game isn't nearly good enough for me to play through again,
It's silly to think that Larian should prioritize the opinion of "Ravenswood" from reputable shithole "RPG Chudex", and tweak the game to your liking.

The current setting is fine for most. You are unfortunately not most, and not priority.

Because BG3 is an objective success instead of looking outward, you should look inward. It's not the game problem.
There it is. You can't have an opinion unless you're a normie being sold to. Just be normal and enjoy common standard drivel.

Shitposter
With romohomos and casuals, yes.
Just like you, mr pizza cutter guy sir.

You can't have an opinion
Nowhere in my post I said "Ravenswood can't have an opinion", I simply said you may see the problem from different perspective which I'm not necessarily agreed with (and frankly, Larian's too).

Damn, what is it with people and wanting to be victimized so bad. Slight critique of critique and straight to "I can't have no opinion no more".

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
With romohomos and casuals, yes.
Just like you, mr pizza cutter guy sir.

You can't have an opinion
Nowhere in my post I said "Ravenswood can't have an opinion", I simply said you may see the problem from different perspective which I'm not necessarily agreed with (and frankly, Larian's too).

Damn, what is it with people and wanting to be victimized so bad. Slight critique of critique and straight to "I can't have no opinion no more".
And now with the critique of the critique of the critique.

Victimized again!

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
It is inevitable that the rest of the industry will take the wrong ideas away from this games success.
Lessons developers should learn from Baldur's Gate 3:
  • Tactical, turn-based combat sells
  • An RPG should have at least a semblance of exploration
  • A considerable amount of interactivity with the world can be implemented, even in a game with turn-based combat
  • Quests can have various Choices & Consequences associated with them, and there can also be consequences for player actions outside quests
  • RPGs can have a fairly non-linear structure

Lessons developers will learn from Baldur's Gate 3:
  • Sex sells, especially with viral marketing
  • Aside from a single player-generated character, the party members should be pre-generated and have ludicrously convoluted backstories
  • Vast amounts of money should be spent on voice-acting and motion-capture, especially for those pre-generated companions
  • Embrace the worst fantasy setting possible
  • Players don't care about basing your game on a poor ruleset, such as "D&D 5th edition"

DemonKing

Arcane
On my reflection my main issue with BG3 was it didn't feel like D&D. BG2 was like a love letter to classic D&D - it had all the classic classes and races plus monsters (dragons, beholders, drow etc) and magic items (Holy Avenger, Displacer Cloak, Gauntlets of Ogre Power etc). In contrast BG3 is geared towards enabling the player to be any class/race/gender combo they want without restriction and the itemisation just feels like they slap attributes on different items rather than crafting something that feels uniquely D&D. I guess some of the monsters feel classic (like the owl bear) but the whole mind flayers flying around in space ships never worked for me in a fantasy setting.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I guess some of the monsters feel classic (like the owl bear) but the whole mind flayers flying around in space ships never worked for me in a fantasy setting.
The nods to the Spelljammer campaign setting were the highlight of Baldur's Gate 3.

bg3spelljammer.png
Holloway-Spelljammer-Neogi-Illithids.png

Shitposter
  • Aside from a single player-generated character, the party members should be pre-generated and have ludicrously convoluted backstories
  • Vast amounts of money should be spent on voice-acting and motion-capture, especially for those pre-generated companions
  • Players don't care about basing your game on a poor ruleset, such as "D&D 5th edition"
While it's fun being a cynic sometimes, I would like to disagree because:

1. People are stupid but not that stupid. Marketing may have helped, but good game made them stick.
  2. Having companion as not-cookie cutter character or literal drone is a good thing. If you disagree, that is fine, but understand you're a minority and thus inconsequential.
  3. Voice acting is expensive. It can be cheap if you want Dragon Age Origins level quality in 2024/5. Indie cRPG shouldn't attempt to do it anyway and understand their target audience. Disco Elysium has proven that partial voice acting and adding full voice acting later (after the game is proven success) could work.
  4. Inconsequential opinion
  5. Inconsequential opinion

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
While it's fun being a cynic sometimes, I would like to disagree because:

1. People are stupid but not that stupid. Marketing may have helped, but good game made them stick.
  2. Having companion as not-cookie cutter character or literal drone is a good thing. If you disagree, that is fine, but understand you're a minority and thus inconsequential.
  3. Voice acting is expensive. It can be cheap if you want Dragon Age Origins level quality in 2024/5. Indie cRPG shouldn't attempt to do it anyway and understand their target audience. Disco Elysium has proven that partial voice acting and adding full voice acting later (after the game is proven success) could work.
  4. Inconsequential opinion
  5. Inconsequential opinion
somebody failed his reading comprehension... again

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Spelljammer is not “classic” D&D though - it was just one of many poorly conceived campaign settings the dying TSR threw against the wall in the 90s hoping something would stick.
The Spelljammer campaign setting was published in 1989, the first after the release of the AD&D 2nd edition core rulebooks in the middle of that year, and was also the first in a series of unconventional AD&D campaign settings that continued with Ravenloft (1990), Dark Sun (1991), Planescape (1994), and Birthright (1995). TSR was doing quite well financially in 1989, having reestablished a solid foundation after the massive cutbacks from 1983 to 1985 that reduced its staff count from about 400 to 75. Granted, Spelljammer itself was the least commercially successful of these campaign settings (except, probably, for Birthright) and was cancelled in 1994.

sj-box.jpg
sj-sjr4.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom