Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Vatnik Wumao
Can you spoil some of the officially supported mods? Is transmog one of them?
You can see them here.

Thanks bro! Any word on how mods will work regarding achievements? I assume mods that are purely aesthetic won't disable them.
Not sure. And dunno if their mod platform will have an achievement enabler mod, but as of now (re: Nexus & co. mods) you can still earn achievements by getting this configuration mod for Script Extender. And that should still work while using Larian's mod manager in the future,

Changes that won’t be officially supported within our pipeline, like scripting changes or NSFW mods that wouldn't pass the moderation process due to platform-specific restrictions, may still be packed locally with mod.io’s toolset and uploaded to other mod distribution platforms!

This means that those mods can still be downloaded manually, and the game’s browser will still recognise them and allow you to manage them in the mod load order of the game. However, because they would be local and alter unsupported systems, there will not be embedded support for checking for updates and syncing to others in a multiplayer session. Additionally, we will not be able to provide full technical support in case of crashes.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Since its multi-platform, and to my understanding achievements have a monetary value on consoles (small amount of points, points can buy shit on the store), I doubt they will permit modded game achievements officially. Else the top mod on consoles will be "install this mod to get all achievements", and that just looks bad.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
My most prevalent impression is: This isn't a Baldur's Gate game.
BG3 isn't a true Baldur's Gate game; it has decent combat. :M
Personally, I feel that Larian's combat engine is quite gimmicky, if that is a word.
Yes, it allows for creativity and stuff. But on the other hand, it sometimes makes this kind of creativity almost mandatory, even for trashmob type encounters.
In BG3, things start getting easier (too easy for some) towards and in Act 2, when character development and items allow you to do some decent stuff, but you could also say they merely start getting gimmicky in other ways.
You no longer have to pay such close attention to the environment and opportunities offered by it (barrels you could smash, things you could set ablaze etc.), instead attention shifts to spells and character actions. For me, that usually means I have one fun fight where I can use all the tools at my disposal, then I either long rest or fight boring battles where I can do jack shit that's special (or rely on consumables) until my hp run out and force me to long-rest after all.
It's been a while, but I think in DOS environmental stuff like barrels and the likes stayed relevant much longer.

Finally, I didn't say I felt the combat in BG1/2 was much better (my personal favorites for D&D combat were the GoldBox games and ToEE), just that there was a series standard this game does not adhere to.

Water never stops making cold and shock effects deal double damage.
Explosives can instantly finish end game encounters, if you bother with them.

Vatnik Wumao
Since its multi-platform, and to my understanding achievements have a monetary value on consoles (small amount of points, points can buy shit on the store), I doubt they will permit modded game achievements officially. Else the top mod on consoles will be "install this mod to get all achievements", and that just looks bad.
Yeah, but since Barbarian mentioned purely aesthetic mods specifically, I could see Larian making such a distinction since they have to curate the mods that get accepted on their modding platform anyway. Them adding a check to allow for achievements for the mods that get approved that don't impact gameplay wouldn't surprise me.

Barbarian

Arcane
No transmog on the mods listed so far.

Pretty shitty that they would leave the most requested feature since there are already mods available.

I assume they intend to add it themselves in a future patch.

Barbarian

Arcane
My most prevalent impression is: This isn't a Baldur's Gate game.
BG3 isn't a true Baldur's Gate game; it has decent combat. :M
Personally, I feel that Larian's combat engine is quite gimmicky, if that is a word.
Yes, it allows for creativity and stuff. But on the other hand, it sometimes makes this kind of creativity almost mandatory, even for trashmob type encounters.
In BG3, things start getting easier (too easy for some) towards and in Act 2, when character development and items allow you to do some decent stuff, but you could also say they merely start getting gimmicky in other ways.
You no longer have to pay such close attention to the environment and opportunities offered by it (barrels you could smash, things you could set ablaze etc.), instead attention shifts to spells and character actions. For me, that usually means I have one fun fight where I can use all the tools at my disposal, then I either long rest or fight boring battles where I can do jack shit that's special (or rely on consumables) until my hp run out and force me to long-rest after all.
It's been a while, but I think in DOS environmental stuff like barrels and the likes stayed relevant much longer.

Finally, I didn't say I felt the combat in BG1/2 was much better (my personal favorites for D&D combat were the GoldBox games and ToEE), just that there was a series standard this game does not adhere to.

Water never stops making cold and shock effects deal double damage.
Explosives can instantly finish end game encounters, if you bother with them.

Runepowder barrels you cab steal from the Ironhands and the runepowder bomb Wulbren gives you are some of the more powerful items in the game.

You can easily use them against the elder brain or any of the final bosses too. Just place it in position and detonate it.

Barbarian

Arcane
The level 20 mod seems good but it is only half finished.

Also no difficulty/balance mod in sight :(

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Why did this stupid word "Transmogrification" became the official term for having the stats of one item, with the visuals of another?
Convenience I guess. I'm not aware of any one word synonyms for it.
Shapeshift, metamorph, polymorph... I guess these are already taken by other fantasy game concepts.
But could be as basic as reskin. Reskining your items to other items you've previously worn. Makes more sense than "transmog".
I know its autism, I just dislike the word.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
UDzEOIH.png

no wonder

Barbarian

Arcane
Contrary to what they stated previously the modding tools does seem to support creation of new content. This guide of theirs specifically goes into adding new characters and quests:

https://baldursgate3.game/mods/#/r/1319

Could bode very well for the game longterm... if modders who are not cringe create good content that is.

With AI voice generation tools and etc one could also easily expand the game content.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The major difference? NWN2 dialogues require camera work and voices, and writefags are bad at it
Area generation is no joke in nwn2 dude. In 1 you could just plop a few tiles together. 2 is a right pain to get things going iirc.

Barbarian

Arcane
Could bode very well for the game longterm... if modders who are not cringe create good content that is.
NWN got many good story mods.
NWN2 got very few.
The major difference? NWN2 dialogues require camera work and voices, and writefags are bad at it.

This one requires all that as well.

Anyway, overhaul/campaign mods don't seem possible with the tools. Even map expansion/new areas are not supported. Just new characters with sidequests in existing areas and stuff like that.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
NWN2 got very few.
The major difference? NWN2 dialogues require camera work and voices, and writefags are bad at it.

Anyway, overhaul/campaign mods don't seem possible with the tools. Even map expansion/new areas are not supported. Just new characters with sidequests in existing areas and stuff like that.
Given that the provided campaign is a separate folder, and you even choose a campaign when starting a game (at least that was the case when I last played, it was called Gustav iirc), this probably wasn't the original intention. Maybe Wizards spoke against it? Maybe Larian want to be done with it already and move on?

Barbarian

Arcane
NWN2 got very few.

Given that the provided campaign is a separate folder, and you even choose a campaign when starting a game (at least that was the case when I last played, it was called Gustav iirc), this probably wasn't the original intention. Maybe Wizards spoke against it? Maybe Larian want to be done with it already and move on?

You mean in the EA? Since release there was never a campaign choice screen. At least not in any version I have played.

They have talked openly about DLC after release then suddenly did a U-turn and moved to a new project. The theory is that probably WOTC butthurt them.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
You mean in the EA? Since release there was never a campaign choice screen. At least not in any version I have played.
I can't check right now, but I think the full release had it too.
If not the full release, the EA definitely had you choosing what campaign you want to play, and it had some norse name as the name for this campaign. I think teh save game structure also used it for the folders, unless they changed that too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom