Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

ropetight

Savant
Can somebody give me a quick summary on why Codex hates BG3 so much? 764 pages would be a lot to read, thanks.
Elves everywhere.
Villainous elves, black elves, drow elves, pointy eared green skinned elves from another plane, red skinned elves with horns, tiny elves with huge heads, elves that look like half beast and tiny elves that look like Morgoth was working in the dark, elves goddamn everywhere.
And all companions are casters.
And game is very expensive, overpriced even.
It is at best 30$ game.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
I believe BG3 got second place in the GOTY poll so it's not like people here don't appreciate it. I can see disliking the game if you're storyfag because that's definitely a weak link. The main plot is as convoluted as the above poster mentioned, and this is compounded by the origin character quests having an epic feeling 'final boss' feeling on their own. In general I'd say BG3's greatest flaw is that it lacks any kind of tone or coherent atmosphere. It doesn't feel like you're on a fantasy adventure, it feels like you're playing D&D with a clique of snarky millennials. There's the faggy attention whore(Astarion), the normie woman who just got into rp because it's popular(Shadowheart), the dude who thinks you're supposed to write a ten page backstory for a lvl 1 character(Gale), the short-haired dyke who plays herself(Karlach), the one person who's actually taking the campaign seriously(Lae'zel), and even the token black guy who's not quite smart enough to understand what's going on in the story (Wyll).

Still... for all that, it's one the most impressive RPGs I have played in a very long time. It's one of the only titles that made me feel like we're in a new generation of gaming - something like this could not have been made ten years ago.
I think the biggest achievement of BG3 is that it actually feels like playing a real D&D session.

No other CRPG came close to that feeling.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Can somebody give me a quick summary on why Codex hates BG3 so much? 764 pages would be a lot to read, thanks.
It's Baldurs Gate in name only.

So... just like BG1 and BG2?

5E is lame.

Its certainly a lot better then 2nd ed.

Most diverse city in the Realms!

Yeah, true, whatever. Doesn't matter for actual gameplay.

Bear sex, Mindflayer sex, Frog sex - You name it

Swen's marketing was really genius!

Story completely falls apart by Act 3

Oh, sadly you have a point here.

Harthwain

Magister
So... just like BG1 and BG2?
There is the city of Baldur's Gate in Baldur's Gate 1 though. And in Baldur's Gate 3. That said, I find it hard to imagine someone doing a "proper" remake of Baldur's Gate series. It is not impossible (Desperados 3 and Commandos: Origins being great examples), but I doubt it'd be as popular and it'd be even harder to make than Baldur's Gate 3 was (which in itself is a remarkable feat, as proven by comments from other developers).

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
The point is that the Bhaal Saga ended with BG2. This has been about abusing the name of a finished series for marketing purposes, nothing else. Larian clearly didn't even WANT a Bhaal-focused story.

Lemming42

Arcane
That's not me expressing a wish or my own opinion of the game, that's me diagnosing how this site works. The original BG games were regarded as dogshit on this site 20 years ago, now there's an army of people who'll shred you to bits if you say they're shit. Same for plenty of other "unassailable classics" both here and in online gaming culture in general.

You'll notice in the very next words after the bit you quoted, I said that anyone who made legitimate criticisms of the game, of which there are plenty, will be shut down when BG3 magically hits "classic" status.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
BG3 really isn't that great. It gets extremely tedious and a chore to finish. Only act 1 is well done. I would guess most of the people who bought the game never even finished it. Definitely the most overrated game in a while.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
BG3 really isn't that great. It gets extremely tedious and a chore to finish. Only act 1 is well done. I would guess most of the people who bought the game never even finished it. Definitely the most overrated game in a while.
Mass Effect is overrated, luckily that's completely dead. Larian will make a superior sci-fi RPG.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
Mass Effect is overrated, luckily that's completely dead. Larian will make a superior sci-fi RPG.
Larian can't write though. A new sci fi IP will be brutal for them.

ferratilis

Magister
I think the biggest achievement of BG3 is that it actually feels like playing a D&D session at a mental institution, where the DM is an 80 IQ sexually deviant retard who can't tell his ass from his elbow, and has no idea how to construct a meaningful narrative but instead makes things up as they go.
FTFY

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
We'll see buddyboyo.

Codexers will have another aneurysm if it dominates again like Bg3

Hydro

Educated
That's not me expressing a wish or my own opinion of the game, that's me diagnosing how this site works. The original BG games were regarded as dogshit on this site 20 years ago, now there's an army of people who'll shred you to bits if you say they're shit. Same for plenty of other "unassailable classics" both here and in online gaming culture in general.

You'll notice in the very next words after the bit you quoted, I said that anyone who made legitimate criticisms of the game, of which there are plenty, will be shut down when BG3 magically hits "classic" status.
Yeah, that’s why BG was an original title, while BG3 used the famous name. What a pile of horseshit.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
BG2 will always be my favorite CRPG and game of all time.

But BG3 was good as well, especially being turn-based combat. Although the bugs and technical performance, especially in Act 3 was pretty rough.

notpl

Arbiter
100%. Well, maybe 90% - I think Act 2 still has quite a bit of good in it, and should have been the climax. 3 is really where stuff falls apart. Thus I gave it a humble 3/5 in our goty poll at the time. The people giving it a 1 were completely mindfucked by bear sex.

Last edited:

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
It's already a classic you muppet.
What a retard lol
Literally most succesful CRPG commercially and critically ever, stop coping.
Mainstream success was never a factor for the KKK, retard

It's already a classic you muppet.
What a retard lol
Literally most succesful CRPG commercially and critically ever, stop coping.
Hurdur muh sales. Take pils and stop drinking

Cope, seethe and dilate

afbeelding.png

ropetight

Savant
Who knows.
Larian now has the money to sign more-or-less whichever SF author to make them IP.
This will not guarantee quality, as SF writers in role of video games scenarist have sketchy history at best.
But it will give some vision, at least.

Since they are so in love with TTRPG, maybe they will make new Traveller?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom