Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Lemming42

Arcane
Can somebody give me a quick summary on why Codex hates BG3 so much? 764 pages would be a lot to read, thanks.
90% inane right-wing culture war horseshit (the game has Women and Black People and even Gays, unlike beloved classics such as Fallout 2), 10% people performatively hating anything released in the past 5~ years.

In a decade's time it'll be considered an unassailable classic, anyone who makes legitimate criticism of its design and mechanics will be called a retard, and whatever games are being released in 2035 will be compared unfavourably to it. The cycle grinds on.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Can somebody give me a quick summary on why Codex hates BG3 so much? 764 pages would be a lot to read, thanks.
I think most people still in this thread like the game even if they don't think it's perfect, for a good hate summary you want one of the hater threads (hate thread and cringe thread). I enjoyed it a lot but it suffers from Larian's tendency to allow their goofiness to undermine serious moments, although if that didn't bother someone in previous Larian games it probably won't bother them in this one since it's just more of the same in that respect.

I don't "hate" BG3, I just think it has a really bad writing, especially in everything related to villains and companions. And I think the battle/magic system is lame. And, of course, the fact, that entire 3 act is just endless running from one fetch quest to another almost without a reward.

GentlemanCthulhu

Liturgist
I think BG3 has an objectively *atrocious* UI/UX.
The combat can be fun but is mostly deep. I like the systemic design.
The writing is mediocre and brought down by Larian's trademark goofyness.

Heinrich

Scholar
Contrary to the name of the place the RPG Codex isn't actually an RPG fan forum but more narrowly an Infinity Engine fan forum, everything else just being tolerated. All their childhood hero developers having been revealed to always have been mediocrities makes the average Codexer mad, that some guy from Belgium surpassed them with 'their own' IP makes them absolutely furious, and that the game that did it had proper combat and not the casualized Diablo nonsense they grew up with led to the hundreds of pages of freakout you can see in this thread and the pre-release one. These people subconsciously feel like their childhood has been devalued and thus react as if personally attacked.

Contrary to the name of the place the RPG Codex isn't actually an RPG fan forum but more narrowly an Infinity Engine fan forum, everything else just being tolerated. All their childhood hero developers having been revealed to always have been mediocrities makes the average Codexer mad, that some guy from Belgium surpassed them with 'their own' IP makes them absolutely furious, and that the game that did it had proper combat and not the casualized Diablo nonsense they grew up with led to the hundreds of pages of freakout you can see in this thread and the pre-release one. These people subconsciously feel like their childhood has been devalued and thus react as if personally attacked.
Or maybe everything is simpler, and the game is just bad?
I mean, you don't have to love a product only because it's popular. Cardi B is extremely popular - does it make her the best musician ever?

Barbarian

Arcane
Writing for main plot and etc is indeed pretty bad.

Game had its moments though. Non-ironically the best bits of the game is when it goes to utmost generic fantasy - in particular generic D&D. Examples: Hag's Lair, House of Hope, Adamantine Forge, Arcane Tower, etc.

Too bad they went for a convoluted mindflayer cult plot instead of some simple generic "Bhaal is back and you must defeat him" or "Weakened and now demigod Bhaal has joined forces with weakened and now demigods Bane and Myrkul". No, it just HAD to involve gythianki artifacts, magically altered mindflayer tadpoles, netherese relics and an enslaved netherbrain....

All we needed was some generic romp like the original series. They had to screw the basics.

Itoh

Literate
I believe BG3 got second place in the GOTY poll so it's not like people here don't appreciate it. I can see disliking the game if you're storyfag because that's definitely a weak link. The main plot is as convoluted as the above poster mentioned, and this is compounded by the origin character quests having an epic feeling 'final boss' feeling on their own. In general I'd say BG3's greatest flaw is that it lacks any kind of tone or coherent atmosphere. It doesn't feel like you're on a fantasy adventure, it feels like you're playing D&D with a clique of snarky millennials. There's the faggy attention whore(Astarion), the normie woman who just got into rp because it's popular(Shadowheart), the dude who thinks you're supposed to write a ten page backstory for a lvl 1 character(Gale), the short-haired dyke who plays herself(Karlach), the one person who's actually taking the campaign seriously(Lae'zel), and even the token black guy who's not quite smart enough to understand what's going on in the story (Wyll).

Still... for all that, it's one the most impressive RPGs I have played in a very long time. It's one of the only titles that made me feel like we're in a new generation of gaming - something like this could not have been made ten years ago.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Bioware fans are obstreperous due to Baldur's Gate 3 having vastly superior gameplay to the original two BG games. Other Codexers simply poke fun at the terrible writing, fetishistic pandering, or 'woke' sensibilities.

BG3.png

notpl

Arbiter
An obviously tongue-in-cheek bestiality gag completely broke their brains. That's it. There's nothing more to it. Whatever other excuses people try to peddle you, they're lying. Having some minor nitpicks with the game's encounter design, pacing (especially the pacing, god) or difficulty as an RPG is reasonable, but that's not what any of those people cared about.

Itoh

Literate
An obviously tongue-in-cheek bestiality gag completely broke their brains. That's it. There's nothing more to it. Whatever other excuses people try to peddle you, they're lying. Having some minor nitpicks with the game's encounter design, pacing (especially the pacing, god) or difficulty as an RPG is reasonable, but that's not what any of those people cared about.
You can tell the bear thing was funny because a year later, it's all the Codex is talking about. Nobody here really gives a damn about the giant brain or the dead three or whatever, and for good reason. But even a decade from now people will still remember BG3 as the game where you can fuck a bear

Old Hans

Arcane
im more offended that every Flaming Fist I encounter is some short, weak female gnome or halfing, who no one in their right mind would take seriously.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Elves everywhere.
Villainous elves, black elves, drow elves, pointy eared green skinned elves from another plane, red skinned elves with horns, tiny elves with huge heads, elves that look like half beast and tiny elves that look like Morgoth was working in the dark, elves goddamn everywhere.

Larianshill

Arbiter
The much hyped evil endings are okay, I suppose - they are the classic, old timey "short cutscene about what happens" endings of the sort you see in Bloodlines. But compared to the Withers party in the good ending, I'm underwhelmed.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Elves everywhere.
Villainous elves, black elves, drow elves, pointy eared green skinned elves from another plane, red skinned elves with horns, tiny elves with huge heads, elves that look like half beast and tiny elves that look like Morgoth was working in the dark, elves goddamn everywhere.
And all companions are casters.

The Bishop

Cipher
I believe BG3 got second place in the GOTY poll so it's not like people here don't appreciate it. I can see disliking the game if you're storyfag because that's definitely a weak link. The main plot is as convoluted as the above poster mentioned, and this is compounded by the origin character quests having an epic feeling 'final boss' feeling on their own. In general I'd say BG3's greatest flaw is that it lacks any kind of tone or coherent atmosphere. It doesn't feel like you're on a fantasy adventure, it feels like you're playing D&D with a clique of snarky millennials. There's the faggy attention whore(Astarion), the normie woman who just got into rp because it's popular(Shadowheart), the dude who thinks you're supposed to write a ten page backstory for a lvl 1 character(Gale), the short-haired dyke who plays herself(Karlach), the one person who's actually taking the campaign seriously(Lae'zel), and even the token black guy who's not quite smart enough to understand what's going on in the story (Wyll).

Still... for all that, it's one the most impressive RPGs I have played in a very long time. It's one of the only titles that made me feel like we're in a new generation of gaming - something like this could not have been made ten years ago.
Modern people doing the LARP is how story feels most of the time, yes. Not only companions, every character. Which is why I don't get people complaining about lightheartedness and 'Belgian humor'. I mean, as bad as goofy LARP can get, it's still orders of magnitude less cringe than serious and dramatic LARP.

Speaking of cringe, every time your character interacts with somebody through the magic tadpole, the cutscene shows you doing extreme grimaces. And it perfectly reflects my face on the other end of the screen, as I cringe over the overuse of such obvious and tacky plot device.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I doubt he will ever have as much of a hit.

Even the name of his game series was cringe. "Divine Divinity" lol.

Don't be so butthurt. The guy's clearly a visionary genius who will boldly go where few dare to tread.

The frankenbride and vampchicks are old hat, but titty skeleton and fuckgolem? This is the avant garde of waifu fantasy!

1920x1200_undead.jpg

Gahbreeil

Learned
The frankenbride and vampchicks are old hat, but titty skeleton and fuckgolem? This is the avant garde of waifu fantasy!
You sure do like ruining video games with your retadred opinions, try to calm down and stop. If you didn't get it, no worries, thinking people think of answers for people like you. Your "content" reaches people and you are an opinion maker.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
You sure do like ruining video games with your retadred opinions, try to calm down and stop. If you didn't get it, no worries, thinking people think of answers for people like you. Your "content" reaches people and you are an opinion maker.

You're an idiot. Go back to your containment zone.

Gahbreeil

Learned
You're an idiot. Go back to your containment zone.
No, you?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Elves everywhere.
And all companions are casters.
Karlach? Lae'Zel? Astarion?

I mean they have some limited racial spells (x1 per day) and you can give the latter 2 subclasses with very limited casting abilities, but I wouldn't. You can also multiclass them to casters, if you like, of course.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I think most people still in this thread like the game even if they don't think it's perfect, for a good hate summary you want one of the hater threads (hate thread and cringe thread). I enjoyed it a lot but it suffers from Larian's tendency to allow their goofiness to undermine serious moments, although if that didn't bother someone in previous Larian games it probably won't bother them in this one since it's just more of the same in that respect.
I would not say its more if the same. Traces of Larian's goofines are indeed present.

But IMO its nowhere close to DOS 1/2.
BG3 is A LOT more serious overall.

In fact its biggest problem might be that the story hits too high accords, with the cringe epic mindflayer conflict, that was furter derailed by the patchwork story alterations the devs made.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
is patch7 final? I was waiting for evil playthrough and dunno if its final yet or not

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom