Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I never found it to be full on teenage angst to be honest

Apart from some anachronistic jokes and stuff, the writing as a whole isn't teenage angst, just the companions are. It's as if the rest of the game was written by someone at least half-competent, but the companions were subcontracted to some shitty dating sim writer. There's no way that someone who fought numerous battles in hell would speak like a horny college girl. Wyll is possibly the most "classic" of all the companions, but somehow people find him boring. I personally like his story of a tainted would-be hero.

Funny thing is that if you choose not to romance any companion, Withers even scolds you for it.

A sidenote: there's a huge ludonarrative dissonance when it comes to the companions' looks and their stats. Halsin's STR is 10? Doesn't matter, let's give him body that would put a bodybuilder to shame!
That I'd lay fault at the feet of their optimizing AI rather than the writers. I guess they arranged stats according to class rather than character.

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded

Apart from some anachronistic jokes and stuff, the writing as a whole isn't teenage angst, just the companions are. It's as if the rest of the game was written by someone at least half-competent, but the companions were subcontracted to some shitty dating sim writer. There's no way that someone who fought numerous battles in hell would speak like a horny college girl. Wyll is possibly the most "classic" of all the companions, but somehow people find him boring. I personally like his story of a tainted would-be hero.

Funny thing is that if you choose not to romance any companion, Withers even scolds you for it.

A sidenote: there's a huge ludonarrative dissonance when it comes to the companions' looks and their stats. Halsin's STR is 10? Doesn't matter, let's give him body that would put a bodybuilder to shame!
That I'd lay fault at the feet of their optimizing AI rather than the writers. I guess they arranged stats according to class rather than character.
The artists would have a lot to answer for.

Hydro

Educated

Valid criticism. You're right
Lol bitch
For the BG3 haters here. A honest question. Does anyone consider BG3 worse than Pillows of 4e 1/2?
No

Barbarian

Arcane
The writing can be a bit inmature for sure but I never found it to be full on teenage angst to be honest, maybe in some parts of act 2/3? Most of the time I was thinking it was the other way around actually: this is just a fairy tale made by someone who was horny half the time they were writing it. It kinda just depends on what choices do you make, your regular old Tav isn't going to have the same story experience as Durge on how violent the game gets, or at least will have the choice to avoid it for the most part.
Although maybe that's just personal bias, I enjoyed playing Durge way more than Tav. I always like when games just give you the option to kill any NPC at any given time and this is basically just the game adding a narrative to my primal urge of bashing in the head of whoever I'm speaking to at the first sign of annoyance. Helps that it comes with a funny butler too.

The "playersexual" companions taken to the extreme(Minsc and Jaheira are the only non-romanceable characters) are the reason we didn't get a single dwarf, halfling or gnome companion, and also the reason why I opted not to recruit a good chunk of the companions in my playthroughs.

Gale, Karlach and Wyll are just unbearable to even have around the camp. The only reason I recruited Halsin is because you need him for several act 2 quests. The rest I can live with. I found Minsc and Jaheira to actually be good and not the ridiculous nostalgia bait I thought they would be. Laezel, shadowtits and vamp are also quite alright.

I remember when the game wasn't released and I always imagined Astarion to be an annoying faggot you would be inclined to kill the moment you saw him. He is probably the better written and better acted companion, and ironically does not try to get up in the player's butt insistently as the other playersexual characters(e.g: Gale "teaching" you magic).

Bulo

Scholar
Astarion's voice acting is insufferable. I cannot stand listening to him. If he is well written, I will never know

Barbarian

Arcane
Nah it's pretty good. Exactly how a flamboyant scoundrel should sound I wager.

Voice acting in general in this game is pretty good. Weak spots have more to do with zoomer cringe, as is the case with Karlach.

Bulo

Scholar
Minthara's VO is exceptionally good. Karlach's is embarrassing. The rest are solid, although some, like Gale, are let down by the writing. I dropped the game during Act Three so I can't speak to Minsc

Hydro

Educated
You see, by discussing whether you liked the companions or not, you are becoming a part of the problem, cum slurping aids ridden Bioware faggots.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
What do you when you run out of both hp points?

Potions, cleric heal, you can't endless use spells, you need to rest, but if my lv 7 necromancer could use two tier 4 spells per day with arcane recovery, my lv 7 Blood Mage can use like 6 tier 4 spells.

Anyway, I was playing this weekend like an non lifer. Played about 12 hours on this save.

My first almost death was in this situation. I missclicked the mob and ended hitting the chick that I was supposed to protect and in the very next round she was paralyzed.

myTvyrK.png

But I failed. In chapter 2, during Sharn temple, I missclicked and ended triggering Gale magical nuke. Killing myself in the process

4wu22Cv.png

I wouldn't try honor mode again. Is too tense.

Shaki

Arbiter
For the BG3 haters here. A honest question. Does anyone consider BG3 worse than Pillows of 4e 1/2?
BG3 is better than Pillows 1, pretty much anything is, but Pillows 2 actually fixed many of 1's problems. Story, companions etc. suck dick in all 3 games, but Pillows went from the worst itemization ever (even worse than BG3) in 1, to one of the better ones in 2, and addition of multiclassing and turn based also helped combat a lot and made building your party decently fun. Exploration is also ok in 2.

For me:

Story/companions: All suck dick. Pillows 1 get a point for Durance, but that's it.
Atmosphere: BG3 has few cool locations like Ethel's lair + act 2 is decent -> Pillows 2 some side locations are ok -> Pillows 1 all is literal garbage
Character building: Pillows 2 -> BG3 -> Pillows 1
Itemization: Pillows 2 -> BG3 -> Pillows 1
Exploration: Pillows 2 -> BG3 -> Pillows 1 (it's tied to itemization, and character building, in BG3 exploring is super gay since leveling up doesnt feel that cool, and itemization is garbage so there is 0 excitement for finding new things and no motivation to explore)
Combat: Pillows 2 (TB + half HP mod) -> BG3 -> Pillows 2 vanilla RTwP -> Pillows 1

So I'd say overall for me Pillows 2 is better than BG3, tho both are bad compared to actual good games in the genre.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Was playing with this mod ( https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/5328 ) and OMG is quite powerful. Recently reached act 2 in "honor mode". In order to avoid resting too much, I can use my hp to cast spells.
Yes cos what the game needs is more OP classes

Nope. What needs is more balance cultism. This game should use 4e ruleset. Jokes aside, I didn't chose to install this mod because I wanted to be OP. I chose to use this mod because I liked the concept of blood magic.

half HP mod

Wait, there is a mod that debloats HP in Pillows? If I ever play it again, I will use it. Thanks for your suggestion.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I just don't trust modders to create balanced stuff

This mod in question is cRPG translation from the P&P book Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting Reborn ( https://dnd5e.wikidot.com/wizard:blood-magic ) and is exactly like P&P with minor differences. Eg :
1 - Since there are no reagents in BG3, Blood Channeling can't use blood as reagent.
2 - Sanguine Burst reroll of damage works differently.
3 - Glyph of Hemorrhaging and Thicker than Water levels went down a bit. In P&P, you get they at lv 14 and 10, in game, at lv 12 and 8.

But in general is a very accurate implementation from P&P. Most of the mods that I use in games like this are P&P conversions. If I like a concept even if the (sub)class is shit, I play with it, like NWN1's shadowcaster(PRC), is very Underpowered but is as underpowered as P&P.

PS : I don't care about balance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom