Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Apparently they butchered bioware fan favorites viconia and sarevok
Character-wise I don't know, a lot can change about the motivations of a person in a hundred damn years, especially since it seems both characters got the unfavorable BG2 ending that doesn't redeem either of them, what I do know though is that neither of them sound like the original characters. Hearing Sarevok's new voice actor especially just putting on a gravelly Vin Diesel voice and not sounding anything like he did in the original games really sucks. Was it too expensive to get back the guy who did the original or did they just not bother?

Barbarian

Arcane
Character-wise I don't know, a lot can change about the motivations of a person in a hundred damn years, especially since it seems both characters got the unfavorable BG2 ending that doesn't redeem either of them, what I do know though is that neither of them sound like the original characters. Hearing Sarevok's new voice actor especially just putting on a gravelly Vin Diesel voice and not sounding anything like he did in the original games really sucks. Was it too expensive to get back the guy who did the original or did they just not bother?

Not sure about Viconia, but neo Sarevok makes no sense.

Even if you don't redeem him, he is supposed to be a half-alive shadow of his former self who abandons the bhaal shenanigans and goes off in search of glory/"feeling alive" again.

Now he is goon tier sub-boss loser running some trash underground bhaal cult. Pretty pathetic for someone who wanted to be a deity and nearly took over the sword coast.

Vatnik Wumao

Even if you don't redeem him, he is supposed to be a half-alive shadow of his former self who abandons the bhaal shenanigans and goes off in search of glory/"feeling alive" again.

Now he is goon tier sub-boss loser running some trash underground bhaal cult. Pretty pathetic for someone who wanted to be a deity and nearly took over the sword coast.
Would've been cool if you could've recruited him. Cut Minsc out and have only Jaheira and Sarevok as returning characters companionwise, one good and one evil. And integrate Sarevok into act two same as Jaheira, perhaps as a captive of Balthazar or some shit (given the latter's experimentations, it wouldn't be such a stretch for him to be interested in Sarevok's nature).

MerchantKing

Learned
Hope you like my next character. Completely compatible with current game standards.

hAzJlEW.jpeg

INm2ZaD.jpeg
Needs to trim that skin around the glans.

Vyvian

Educated
The Community Update is one of the weirdest and most shizo things I read from a developer. The whole segment of cut content is just weird, esepcially concerning Act 3?

Okay, Upper city was cut long ago, yet Larian promoted it like three weeks before release? And questlines in current build still refer to Upper City?

Wtf Larian? Not a slamdunk.
That was a rough read for sure.

The cut content section stood out to me as well, it was like they wanted to call it cut but didn't at the same time. Swen's comments on Minthara to IGN aren't real promising either. He basically said they'll fix her bugs and see "how she lands" before deciding to actually give her content.

Are we going to have to wait for the inevitable Definitive Edition again? Is Larian tired of working with WotC already? Weird energy around their statements post-launch.

Hagashager

Educated
Hope you like my next character. Completely compatible with current game standards.

hAzJlEW.jpeg

INm2ZaD.jpeg
Can you not make characters fat? Big floppy feet? Oversized hands, small limbs, bobble head/shrunken head, bulbous eyes, etc?

That’s the thing I liked about certain Korean or other mmos is the absolute GONZO character creator. Fuck you could probably make Gonzo.
f4763dcc7a39c980ea3089df7e51dd95.jpg

Best character creators so it says..
Which game has the most sliders, colors, styles, extras?

I want to resurrect JihadJones into BG3 (when/if I purchase it). There is much to be bombed and claimed in the name of Allah!

Aion0333.jpg

ALLAHU AKBAR!!!
BG3's character generator is atrocious. The only reason it's getting praise is because of the They/Them pronoun shit.

There are no sliders of any kind. You have about 8 premade faces that each embody stereotypical facial types (African, European, Asian etc.) You cannot adjust the physical characteristics in any way.

You can alter skintone across a whole rainbow of colors, same for hair and eyes. You can even give your PC fucking Vitigilo, but God forbid there be a face or two that isn't perfectly sculpted to look as milqtoast adventurer as possible. There are no disabilities of any kind, no assymetrical quarks, nothing.

It is a very barebones character creator.

Fuck, even the genital customization is lackluster. You'll see folks say you can give yourself a hubcap dick or massive tits but from what I can see your options are either: "Pubes" or "No pubes"

MerchantKing

Learned
The Community Update is one of the weirdest and most shizo things I read from a developer. The whole segment of cut content is just weird, esepcially concerning Act 3?

Okay, Upper city was cut long ago, yet Larian promoted it like three weeks before release? And questlines in current build still refer to Upper City?

Wtf Larian? Not a slamdunk.
That was a rough read for sure.

The cut content section stood out to me as well, it was like they wanted to call it cut but didn't at the same time. Swen's comments on Minthara to IGN aren't real promising either. He basically said they'll fix her bugs and see "how she lands" before deciding to actually give her content.

Are we going to have to wait for the inevitable Definitive Edition again? Is Larian tired of working with WotC already? Weird energy around their statements post-launch.
Their mistake was not cutting the entirety of act 3 and not rewriting Act 1 and 2 to be the entire game but with much better writing/narrative and less WC3 custom map style area design.

Herumor

Scholar

Is there any info on who voiced the Dark Urge? He doesn't have that many lines as the other origin characters, because he's not a companion when you're not playing as him, but it's really nice and memorable - just the introduction stuff is league above others.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So, many dozens of hours into the game, I started to feel tired. Very tired. I had similar feeling playing DOS2, Pathfinder Kingmaker and Pathfinder WOTR. I am not sure if it's due to my age (41) or due to the game lenght/ pace. It's a strange trend, the game feels HUGE, and at the same time it's slow.

I'm in the middle of act 3 now, and since we found out about the game cut content, I feel more and more disappointed. You can see the holes, the fractures and the patchwork they had to do, to keep Act 3 barely working. Sometimes I can barely play, cos my framerate goes to single digits. It's BAD. There are somethings that bothers me like hell, and I miss from more recent games. At the same time, some things are high quality, plot is very good and, in general, the game is solid.

Some things I don't like:
- Why there is no world map? Its hard to understand where we are, according to the game. This is a big departure from the old Baldur's Gate and also from recent crpgs, like Pathfinder. You cannot go back to previous areas, you cannot go wherever you want, and the game is heavily railroaded. There is just one path, and you have to go there in a very particular order.

- Itemization is meh and not very consistent. There are very few unique items, and the itemization, as a whole, favors melee attacks.

- UI, specially the character sheet is unacceptable. After Pathfinder, or, god, even Pillars of Eternity, the character sheet should be much better.

- Ilythid is horny and wants to fuck

- Cut content. Fuck, the game barely stands after act 2.

So, resuming with my endless and useless rant, here's something I forgot to mention:

While this game is beautiful and above average, technologically I was expecting so much more. I mean, it's 2023, so I was expecting it to be the next level cRPG. I cannot understand why we don't have day/ night cycle in this game. It's kinda ridiculous, actually.

Another thing I was expecting is "NPC have agenda", so they go to places, they sleep, they go to the market and not just stand in the same place all day for weeks. The same for a slider to speed up/ slow down time, like we have in Deadfire, for example.

I can say lots of bad things about PoE, but they actually implemented some very interesting stuff in Deadfire, using new features and QoL improvements. I was expecting the new games to incorporate PoE, Kingmaker and WOTR features and evolve, but seems like we are stuck with the same over and over again. We should take those new features as granted in new isometrics cRPGs.

BG3 would benefit greatly from a day/ night cycle. There are some infiltration quests that are screaming for it.

Sacibengala

Prophet
Finished the game, 102 hours in, evil path. Absolutely nothing had changed from my initial impression of the game. Original Sin with DnD5e rules. Bad dialogues, click fest, good exloration overall and a lot of anime effects and explosions.

But I have a question: Why the F* they didn't used the overworld map they created and showed in the artbook? That map is great, looks like from a BG game and helps you locate where you are on the world map. One more shame to the list. Or the map is there and I'm stupid and didn't find it? It should be used at least for fast travel.

Lodis

Educated
Only on reddit would you find people literally worshipping a dev that delivered a game with a blatantly unfinished final act, lied about choices and reactivity and has bugs upon bugs. This feels like a blatant shill campaign.

K9uep0g.png

tr9EwiO.png

Parabalus

Arcane

Might just be the Bhaalspawn part of Sarevok we see, and the living part is merrily adventuring.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Only on reddit would you find people literally worshipping a dev that delivered a game with a blatantly unfinished final act, lied about choices and reactivity and has bugs upon bugs. This feels like a blatant shill campaign.

K9uep0g.png

tr9EwiO.png
I'm the best dev right now. Larian can do no wrong.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar

Meh. They're just vidya game NPCs anyway, nothing much to butcher. When I played BG1 back in the day, Sarevok was nothing more than "Fantasy World Darth Vader." We're not talking about Charles Dickens here.

While this is true, this one is not on Larian but sadly WoTC canon.

Last edited:

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
He basically said they'll fix her bugs and see "how she lands" b

lol yeah right. How many times shall people play through the game just to figure out if the ever so slightly patched Minthara "lands now"?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom