Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
You can find and kill the murderer of Baldur's Gate, yet all of the victims on his kill list stay as objectives on the map for you, and you can still go and "warn" them of an attempt on their lives.

Edit: until you read his personal notes you find on his corpse. Then the markers disappear. One of the victims remains as a marker, you can find him, and he is already killed. No idea why keep him as a marker, but w/e.
LoL just found out that if you kill the hag the enemies that you could fight will become friendly. In he first chapter i knocked them out but the gamedevs were too dumb to think of such solution,so it only works if you don't engage them and just kill the hag. Found it out in the third chapter,lame.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

It's funny how the Lae'zel actress actually looks a bit gith in the shot without her makeup there - not as overly long a septum and pug nose as Lae'zel's, but more so than average :)

Also, the Astarion faggot looks and sounds exactly like Astarion, I don't think he actually had to do much acting for the role (well, apart from the vampire bit, although by the looks of him, who knows :) ).

The biggest shocker for me there was hearing Jaheira turn into a broad Scots fishwife in her own accent. (Although on second thoughts, there is some commonality between the gutteral nature of the Scottish accent and the gutteral nature of some aspects of the Hispanic accent. But she must be an incredibly well-trained and skilled actress to pull that off.)

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
You can find and kill the murderer of Baldur's Gate, yet all of the victims on his kill list stay as objectives on the map for you, and you can still go and "warn" them of an attempt on their lives.

Edit: until you read his personal notes you find on his corpse. Then the markers disappear. One of the victims remains as a marker, you can find him, and he is already killed. No idea why keep him as a marker, but w/e.
LoL just found out that if you kill the hag the enemies that you could fight will become friendly. In he first chapter i knocked them out but the gamedevs were too dumb to think of such solution,so it only works if you don't engage them and just kill the hag. Found it out in the third chapter,lame.
Only one of them (Regret) actually matters AFAICT and keeping them around makes Hag fight a good bit more of a pain.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
It is fitting considering they could not even be bothered getting the same voice actor or anything even resembling the old likeness. Every single tie-in to the actual BG games are pathetic, shallow, fanfic cameo interpretations of the Trannies of the Coast novels.
They didn't want to do a Baldurs Gate story but had to because of name recognition. Even if it's kinda pleasant after a while, it's still the rape of an old IP.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Hope you like my next character. Completely compatible with current game standards.

hAzJlEW.jpeg
People who photograph their monitors will be first against the wall.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
They didn't want to do a Baldurs Gate story
Why do you always have to go over the top?

Sven grew up playing it too, just like Soyer did. Why wouldn't they? Just because they suck at it doesn't mean they don't want to. For a Belgian he did reasonably well. Could have been far worse. He could have been Namibian, or Californian.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

Sven grew up playing it too, just like Soyer did. Why wouldn't they? Just because they suck at it doesn't mean they don't want to. For a Belgian he did reasonably well. Could have been far worse. He could have been Namibian, or Californian.
Because the Illithid story is front and center while the Dead Three story is tacked on.

Ryzer

Arcane
The illithid powers are so strong, it's uneven. Just max it out and you are god.

Btw is it me or Paladin is just a better cleric all around as well as being a warrior with more proficiency, thus making 5E entirely dogshit?

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Btw is it me or Paladin is just a better cleric all around as well as being a warrior with more proficiency, thus making 5E entirely dogshit?
No cleric is insanely powerful thanks to spirit guardians and spiritual weapon, and once you hit level 11 you can trivialise the hardest encounters in the game with blade barrier.. Paladin is extremely good too, fighter with a saving throw aura and extra burst damage, but less sustained damage and worse resource problems. Paladin multiclasses are super overpowered and are the go-to way to break 5e (Although they were nerfed in bg3 and other multiclass combos were buffed).

Zeriel

Arcane

Because the Illithid story is front and center while the Dead Three story is tacked on.

Isn't this basically because it was something WOTC was pushing in the tabletop? Come to think of it, maybe Larian never really cared about BG and this was just their Firaxis-Doing-Marvel moment, only unlike Firaxis doing a cashgrab and flopping, they actually pulled it off.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
BG3's character generator is atrocious. The only reason it's getting praise is because of the They/Them pronoun shit.

There are no sliders of any kind. You have about 8 premade faces that each embody stereotypical facial types (African, European, Asian etc.) You cannot adjust the physical characteristics in any way.

You can alter skintone across a whole rainbow of colors, same for hair and eyes. You can even give your PC fucking Vitigilo, but God forbid there be a face or two that isn't perfectly sculpted to look as milqtoast adventurer as possible. There are no disabilities of any kind, no assymetrical quarks, nothing.

It is a very barebones character creator.
Yes, Dragon's Dogma is a console game released in 2012 on a system released in 2006, but it had an innovative character appearance customization system that allowed the player to choose the basic shape of important facial elements from a lengthy list of options (in similar fashion to selecting a hairstyle in many games, including BG3), supplemented by sliders to change size, positioning, etc. And it even had a more limited customization of the body, allowing the player to select from a smaller number of options for arms, torso, and legs, plus a height slider, a musculature slider, a weight slider, and (for women) a bust slider.

There have been excuses made for BG3's simplistic character creator, in that it was necessary to aid the player-character's facial expressions, but the expressions made by the player-character in Dragon's Dogma weren't all that much worse than the expressions made by the player-character in BG3, despite Larian limiting the player to a handful of heads (once sex and species have been chosen). Moreover, despite having just four "body types" with no customization aside from the race selected, the actual body meshes seen in practice are dependent on the specific armor/clothing meshes, which can be wildly inconsistent with each other, whereas Dragon's Dogma actually had a morphing system for adjusting the individual pieces of armor and clothing to the customized model of the character wearing them.

Is there any info on who voiced the Dark Urge? He doesn't have that many lines as the other origin characters, because he's not a companion when you're not playing as him, but it's really nice and memorable - just the introduction stuff is league above others.

Jennifer English AKA Shadowheart and Devora Wilde AKA Lae'zel are quite fuckable. Let's talk about the important matters in that video. No opinion on all the others but who is work dicking down is critical!

Narrator lady makes me acting unwise
yvogpDR.jpg

bg3 narrator lady joi video ai generated

SmilingGorion

Literate
The day-night cycle only concerns Codex autistics, and only because it doesn't exist.
A Neverwinter Night Module, Witcher, made 15 years ago on a hamburger budget not only had day/night cycle that affected gameplay(various monsters only appeared at night) but also had dynamic weather with NPCs reacting to it. They would seek cover if it rained.
You have to understand, L for Larian just doesn't have the resources for anything but Swen's tranny dick mandate.

Baldanders

Novice
I did not realize until today that they either removed, or do not support, party customization. That's the final fuck you I am willing to accept from Larian, luckily I haven't even started the game yet so I can get a refund. I'm sure I'll come back in a year and this will be a feature.

Last edited:

Arbiter

Scholar
Only on reddit would you find people literally worshipping a dev that delivered a game with a blatantly unfinished final act, lied about choices and reactivity and has bugs upon bugs. This feels like a blatant shill campaign.

K9uep0g.png

tr9EwiO.png

3 years ago CDProjekt had cult following among mainstream gamers. Look at them now.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Speaking of Tieflings and refugee metaphors...

Prior to Asmodeus's ascension to godhood, the infernal blood could be diluted through intermarriage, but afterward, the union of a tiefling with another race always produced a tiefling child.

Think about the consequences of this.

Self-Ejected

Is there any info on who voiced the Dark Urge? He doesn't have that many lines as the other origin characters, because he's not a companion when you're not playing as him, but it's really nice and memorable - just the introduction stuff is league above others.

Jennifer English AKA Shadowheart and Devora Wilde AKA Lae'zel are quite fuckable. Let's talk about the important matters in that video. No opinion on all the others but who is work dicking down is critical!

Narrator lady makes me acting unwise
yvogpDR.jpg

bg3 narrator lady joi video ai generated

Narrator lady has such a good voice!

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
There have been excuses made for BG3's simplistic character creator, in that it was necessary to aid the player-character's facial expressions
The fact that people have successfully made face replacer mods fairly easily leads me to think this isn't true. Between this and the lack of party creation in the full release, I think they simply didn't want to dedicate the resources to implementing it.

I think they were finished with most aspects of character creation by early access and only revisited it for minor modifications.

Self-Ejected
There have been excuses made for BG3's simplistic character creator, in that it was necessary to aid the player-character's facial expressions
The fact that people have successfully made face replacer mods fairly easily leads me to think this isn't true. Between this and the lack of party creation in the full release, I think they simply didn't want to dedicate the resources to implementing it.

I think they were finished with most aspects of character creation by early access and only revisited it for minor modifications.
There is more in to that. The default heads have functions that npc's head lacks glowing eyes for example when you use speak with the death. My theory is that this was a fairly recent feature that didin't make it in time for all the heads. I have a mod that unlocks all the Heads and hair that are in the game and they are quite a lot.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom