Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

SmilingGorion

Novice
Apparently they butchered bioware fan favorites viconia and sarevok
Character-wise I don't know, a lot can change about the motivations of a person in a hundred damn years, especially since it seems both characters got the unfavorable BG2 ending that doesn't redeem either of them, what I do know though is that neither of them sound like the original characters. Hearing Sarevok's new voice actor especially just putting on a gravelly Vin Diesel voice and not sounding anything like he did in the original games really sucks. Was it too expensive to get back the guy who did the original or did they just not bother?

Not sure about Viconia, but neo Sarevok makes no sense.

Even if you don't redeem him, he is supposed to be a half-alive shadow of his former self who abandons the bhaal shenanigans and goes off in search of glory/"feeling alive" again.

Now he is goon tier sub-boss loser running some trash underground bhaal cult. Pretty pathetic for someone who wanted to be a deity and nearly took over the sword coast.
It is fitting considering they could not even be bothered getting the same voice actor or anything even resembling the old likeness. Every single tie-in to the actual BG games are pathetic, shallow, fanfic cameo interpretations of the Trannies of the Coast novels.

Zeriel

Arcane
The Community Update is one of the weirdest and most shizo things I read from a developer. The whole segment of cut content is just weird, esepcially concerning Act 3?

Okay, Upper city was cut long ago, yet Larian promoted it like three weeks before release? And questlines in current build still refer to Upper City?

Wtf Larian? Not a slamdunk.
That was a rough read for sure.

The cut content section stood out to me as well, it was like they wanted to call it cut but didn't at the same time. Swen's comments on Minthara to IGN aren't real promising either. He basically said they'll fix her bugs and see "how she lands" before deciding to actually give her content.

Are we going to have to wait for the inevitable Definitive Edition again? Is Larian tired of working with WotC already? Weird energy around their statements post-launch.
Their mistake was not cutting the entirety of act 3 and not rewriting Act 1 and 2 to be the entire game but with much better writing/narrative and less WC3 custom map style area design.

Sadly WC3 map design seems to be all they know how to do now. The days of DKS or DD are long, long gone.

Zeriel

Arcane
Only on reddit would you find people literally worshipping a dev that delivered a game with a blatantly unfinished final act, lied about choices and reactivity and has bugs upon bugs. This feels like a blatant shill campaign.

K9uep0g.png

tr9EwiO.png

I've seen this story countless times before. It's almost like an archetypal journey in people's minds that they love to re-enact over and over again. They want a hero, so they create one. They also want villains, so they create those too. Instead of seeing these as just... what they are... companies out to make a buck, they create moral stories about them, and define themselves in allegiance or opposition to them, etc.

Needless to say, it's all so tiresome.

But any company that finds itself in this situation and thinks they are going to be there forever is in for a hell of a letdown, Larian will have its moment when it is the villain to the public too, now it's purely inevitable.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You can find and kill the murderer of Baldur's Gate, yet all of the victims on his kill list stay as objectives on the map for you, and you can still go and "warn" them of an attempt on their lives.

Edit: until you read his personal notes you find on his corpse. Then the markers disappear. One of the victims remains as a marker, you can find him, and he is already killed. No idea why keep him as a marker, but w/e.

Last edited:
The second is about the epilogue. What’s been datamined is not really cut content but content that we didn’t want to release because we didn’t think it worked. We’re pretty strict with ourselves and our ideas. If it isn’t good - if it isn’t fun to play - it doesn’t make it into the game. One of the reasons why we trimmed the epilogue is because we were afraid the ending cinematics were becoming too long and would detract from the epicness of the experience. But clearly, not everyone agrees with us! So we’re going to do something about it.
If anyone of you ever works in gamedev and honestly thinks that trimming ending slides in a +100hr RPG 'because we were afraid the ending cinematics were becoming too long' is a legit concern, please pre-emptively slap yourself.
I believe the "this is not cut content" bit. Games always have some stuff left over that's not implemented or whatever, it's a fact. Calling it "cut content" is what modders do, and those people are supreme autists, so they'll try to "add back" anything that wasn't there even if it makes no sense to have it all put back together, and they won't stop there, they'll also fundamentally change the game because they "feel" it's better that way. See: Bloodlines.

turkishronin

Arcane
The day-night cycle only concerns Codex autistics, and only because it doesn't exist.
A Neverwinter Night Module, Witcher, made 15 years ago on a hamburger budget not only had day/night cycle that affected gameplay(various monsters only appeared at night) but also had dynamic weather with NPCs reacting to it. They would seek cover if it rained.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Mage Tower was an enjoyable mini-dungeon imo

My constant experience of the game is of a roller-coaster ride, where for chunks of time the game is either dully average, or irritating (bugs, reactivity jankiness, woke box-ticking), but then it's peppered with charming moments of exploration or discovery, or good little scenes or dungeons with cool encounter designs (e.g. Harpy fight, spider cave and bits attached, 3 leader goblin sequence, Underdark generally, but especially Mage Tower, Hag sequence, Moonrise Towers/Illithid Colony, etc.) that make you think, "Hey, this is great, this is what I wanted from the game, this actually does feel like a BG game here."

It is, as the reviewer recently quoted a few time here said, a game that's both great and terrible :)

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Funny thing is, despite having 3d portraits, the game does not acknowledge Shadowheart's bleach job.
Your portraits seem to be regenerated every time you gain a level, after you exit the level up interface, which likely has shared code with the character creation interface... I get my characters' hairs in more and more outrageous lighting. A minor bug.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
My constant experience of the game is of a roller-coaster ride, where for chunks of time the game is either dully average, or irritating (bugs, reactivity jankiness, woke box-ticking), but then it's peppered with charming moments of exploration or discovery, or good little scenes or dungeons with cool encounter designs (e.g. Harpy fight, spider cave and bits attached, 3 leader goblin sequence, Underdark generally, but especially Mage Tower, Hag sequence, Moonrise Towers/Illithid Colony, etc.) that make you think, "Hey, this is great, this is what I wanted from the game, this actually does feel like a BG game here."

It is, as the reviewer recently quoted a few time here said, a game that's both great and terrible :)
Compared to Act 1, Act 3 feels like a "first-pass prototype", like they just threw every idea they brainstormed. Or like they just started Early Access. It wasn't difficult to predict that would be so.

Vatnik Wumao
Would've been cool if you could've recruited him. Cut Minsc
Why would you cut the best companion?
Meme character that isn't connected to the plot unlike Jaheira with the Harpers. Could still appear as a NPC in some side quest in act 3 as a callback to prior BG titles, but it's not worth investing dev time and resources into making him a companion. Especially when there are fewer companions for a properly evil party.

Ryzer

Arcane
Only on reddit would you find people literally worshipping a dev that delivered a game with a blatantly unfinished final act, lied about choices and reactivity and has bugs upon bugs. This feels like a blatant shill campaign.

K9uep0g.png

tr9EwiO.png

I've seen this story countless times before. It's almost like an archetypal journey in people's minds that they love to re-enact over and over again. They want a hero, so they create one. They also want villains, so they create those too. Instead of seeing these as just... what they are... companies out to make a buck, they create moral stories about them, and define themselves in allegiance or opposition to them, etc.

Needless to say, it's all so tiresome.

But any company that finds itself in this situation and thinks they are going to be there forever is in for a hell of a letdown, Larian will have its moment when it is the villain to the public too, now it's purely inevitable.
So what are you saying is that the majority of people have the mentality of a 8 years old child?

And to say that these people are voting.

Ryzer

Arcane
The hag moment was great, I just wish there was more of that but it just happened once. :(

And now I'm craving for that feeling I got when the reality unraveled and the hag was busted.

Vatnik Wumao
Meme character that isn't connected to the plot unlike Jaheira
With all these "connections" everyone has to the main plot, it's more of a refreshing change.
Doesn't fit thematically either. He's just a wacky comic relief character. And unlike someone like Edwin or Xzar who could be played straight (arrogant wizard with hubris and psychotic yet intelligent necromancer affiliated with the Zhentarim respectively), there's nothing to him beyond the goofiness.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Someone help me, what is this specimen:

kBuF9c5.jpg

It has a female voice, female name, a beard, and seems to work as a guard, although it's a small race, most likely dwarf. What kind of name is Vlomina for a dwarf?

Darkwind

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

Is there any info on who voiced the Dark Urge? He doesn't have that many lines as the other origin characters, because he's not a companion when you're not playing as him, but it's really nice and memorable - just the introduction stuff is league above others.

Jennifer English AKA Shadowheart and Devora Wilde AKA Lae'zel are quite fuckable. Let's talk about the important matters in that video. No opinion on all the others but who is worth dicking down is critical!

Last edited:

Sunri

Liturgist

Is there any info on who voiced the Dark Urge? He doesn't have that many lines as the other origin characters, because he's not a companion when you're not playing as him, but it's really nice and memorable - just the introduction stuff is league above others.

Jennifer English AKA Shadowheart and Devora Wilde AKA Lae'zel are quite fuckable. Let's talk about the important matters in that video. No opinion on all the others but who is work dicking down is critical!

Narrator lady makes me acting unwise
yvogpDR.jpg

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
You can find and kill the murderer of Baldur's Gate, yet all of the victims on his kill list stay as objectives on the map for you, and you can still go and "warn" them of an attempt on their lives.

Edit: until you read his personal notes you find on his corpse. Then the markers disappear. One of the victims remains as a marker, you can find him, and he is already killed. No idea why keep him as a marker, but w/e.
LoL just found out that if you kill the hag the enemies that you could fight will become friendly. In he first chapter i knocked them out but the gamedevs were too dumb to think of such solution,so it only works if you don't engage them and just kill the hag. Found it out in the third chapter,lame.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom