Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 - tips, tricks & helpful information

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Halsin literally won't move from the spot if they aren't dead. All his dialogue demand their deaths, even if you haven't met them. So how?
When I freed him they were already dead so I didin't know that.

So it turns out you have ot make your choice on joining them or not when you are in their base at the latest. You are obliged to kill them if you want to save Halsin. I thought it's possible to take the Absolute path but do it in secret and help out Halsin and the refugees anyway.

Yosharian

Arcane
Seems like Zerker is generally regarded as strongest with the extra attack...
The thing I don't really like with zerker is that the rage bonuses can't be used on the turn you start your rage since rage take the bonus action. Though Idk how much that matters. With wolf-heart you can rage and then get another martial to go to town on stuff.
Admittedly I don't know how much that first turn oomf is needed in this game.
Yeah and also other things you can do with your bonus action

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Can somebody explain stealing to me?
Each time I successfully pickpocket someone or get a red item from hide, a guard spawns seconds later and accuses me of thievery.
Looks either broken or there is some unexplained mechanic at work here?

You need to leave the area for some time after stealing and pickpocketing. NPCs realize things going missing quickly.
Try get in turn based mode for easier stealing and often unchain your thief from your party and teleport him to some other place.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

Oh, I meant pure fighter OR pure barbarian specced for unarmed melee. Apologies, not up with the D&D lingo.

As a dyed in the wool power-gamer, multi-classing before level 6 SEEMS TO BE a really terrible idea in 5E. In 5E you just get get way, way too much good stuff at level 5 & 6 in most classes.

Fighters get an *entire bloody attack* at level 5. *An entire bloody attack.

5E clearly is intentionally designed such that "dipping" isn't a power-move IMO. I don't think anyone is multiclassing before end-game.

In principle, I agree.
However some class features can only be gotten when you start with the class. For example Heavy Armor Profi comes to mind, if you want to ignore Dex.

That’s one of those stat boost Feats. If I want it that bad I think it’s worth + .5 AB/Dam/Skill check, if you can survive to lvl 4 with Medium instead. Stats don’t get outclassed as badly as they do in Wrath, but there are still a ton of strategic ways to gain advantage (in both senses) over foes.

Desiderius

Patron
Well, after lots fiddling around, I finally found a build that I like. 1 lvl bard, rest fighter. And I actually took the bard lvl first. One lvl in bard opens speaking with animals, longstride and friendship while making sleight of hand available as a proficiency.
Yes, I sacrifice a feat and I'm always a level behind when getting extra attacks, feats and indominable... But I have a viable character out of combat (talker/lockpick) whom I can still play as a "normal" fighter and who should be (almost) on par with a straight fighter a level 12.
So I disagree that a dip "has" to happen after lvl 5/6 or at the very end ;)

Grats, you made a (worse) Ranger.

Having fun with mine rn, which has the advantage of Perception as well. Got Stealth (and Luck) from Halfling and Sleight of Hand*/Investigation from Class/Background. Helps to start with at least 12 INT.

Gale still a better face though with all the INT profs (along with decent Persuasion) . Let the Gith give you your Fighter fix with her Gith racials helping her mobility.

* - the pickpocket mini-game is as broken as it was in D:OS (too good) so unless you have a lot of self-control may be better to go without SoH altogether.

Halsin literally won't move from the spot if they aren't dead. All his dialogue demand their deaths, even if you haven't met them. So how?

So it turns out you have ot make your choice on joining them or not when you are in their base at the latest. You are obliged to kill them if you want to save Halsin. I thought it's possible to take the Absolute path but do it in secret and help out Halsin and the refugees anyway.

We’ll see. I’ve done all peace-making quests between Tweefs and Druids and triggered the full Taylor Swift concert from the Tweef Bard that seemed to make the Druids happy. Got a lot of info about Absolute from Gob Prisoner (Sazza) (and fanatics around back/Nettie) and will be going to Gob camp with her.

Looks like Absolute is the way the less-enlightened are making sense of the brainworm evolution, so should be able to play as sympathetic without signing up, at least for awhile.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron

We’ll see. I’ve done all peace-making quests between Tweefs and Druids and triggered the full Taylor Swift concert from the Tweef Bard that seemed to make the Druids happy. Got a lot of info about Absolute from Gob Prisoner (Sazza) (and fanatics around back/Nettie) and will be going to Gob camp with her.

Looks like Absolute is the way the less-enlightened are making sense of the brainworm evolution, so should be able to play as sympathetic without signing up, at least for awhile.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

You can absolutely play good-guy-infiltrating-the-absolute cult it seems as the game rarely casts your actions in this or that light, but saving Halsin requires to kill the three leaders - unless everyone has missed some hidden option (which might be the case).

jackofshadows

Magister
getting first turn lets say even 30% of more frequently would make that feat worth it because most of fights last couple turns + first turn is of course the most important one and decides most of fights

also fights that start with being surprised / enemies have high initiative are probably the hardest fights anyway so rather focus on those than trash fights you can cheese with surprise attack I have not done this too much stealth exploring is pretty gay

guess if you start pretty much every fight with surprise round then yeah its not that good feat
Well aware of that. To think of it, not sure of what to be arguing about here since the game is kinda too easy at this point. Like if stealth open wouldn't be possible most of the times (I myself do it rarely by the way, usually when party is exausted but for some reason cba to rest) AND the game would be really, really hard (and with some kind of atrition mechanic) THEN Alert would be an S tier feat etc. Right now it seems like a matter of preference. Like instead of having charisma on the main char for checks/prices/whatever. Or aforementioned polearm master/sentinel combo even though it doesn't seem to be too good by itself. However when your subclass features (assassin) simply wouldn't work without the feat - that's another story.

Re the hardest fights: like I mentioned, you can drink the potion by everyone beforehand.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
You will ruin your game balance completely with it honestly. My group is very unoptimized and I'm pupstomping

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Is it possible to speed up combat in some way? I'm going insane over here.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Tempest cleric seems underwhelming, there aren't enough lightning spells. Should I get spells from some other class or what?
Also the Shar trial about walking on invisible platforms is beyond busted, randomly kills my people.

jackofshadows

Magister
The good old cheat engine speedhack. Solasta was almost unplayable w/o it and now BG3 is possible even more in some cases (the miconid possible global fight for example). Turning it on from time to time and highly recommend to.

Desiderius

Patron
getting first turn lets say even 30% of more frequently would make that feat worth it because most of fights last couple turns + first turn is of course the most important one and decides most of fights

also fights that start with being surprised / enemies have high initiative are probably the hardest fights anyway so rather focus on those than trash fights you can cheese with surprise attack I have not done this too much stealth exploring is pretty gay

guess if you start pretty much every fight with surprise round then yeah its not that good feat
Well aware of that. To think of it, not sure of what to be arguing about here since the game is kinda too easy at this point. Like if stealth open wouldn't be possible most of the times (I myself do it rarely by the way, usually when party is exausted but for some reason cba to rest) AND the game would be really, really hard (and with some kind of atrition mechanic) THEN Alert would be an S tier feat etc. Right now it seems like a matter of preference. Like instead of having charisma on the main char for checks/prices/whatever. Or aforementioned polearm master/sentinel combo even though it doesn't seem to be too good by itself. However when your subclass features (assassin) simply wouldn't work without the feat - that's another story.

Re the hardest fights: like I mentioned, you can drink the potion by everyone beforehand.

Tiers are for phone games.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Nope, and I thought I would hate it, but I don't really mind that much tbh. The games kinaesthetics are so good I tend to not feel the lack of a speed-up.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Tempest cleric seems underwhelming, there aren't enough lightning spells. Should I get spells from some other class or what?
Also the Shar trial about walking on invisible platforms is beyond busted, randomly kills my people.
Tempest is very good channel ability is pretty silly with right conditions and pushing stuff around with thunder/lightning dmg is nice
next level I get destructive wave which I expect to be pretty good

Desiderius

Patron

What do you mean there aren’t enough? You can cast the same one twice (or more) if you need to. Looks like the push is the main add. Try creating water to pair with it (there’s a Staff that has it).

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
have not heard mention about that just pact weapon but not sure, I hope not

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

Yosharian

Arcane
You do realise that all your abilities function with Thunder spells right? Like Shatter, for example? Shatter is an excellent spell with a damage type that is not commonly resisted and it scales much better than Fireball

Voids

Augur
I'm playing fighter rogue but have never played 5e before. Any tips on how to build it? R6/f6? Medium armor mastery or go just straight ability score increases for feats? I'm running r4/f2 currently and he's decent so far.
You should really get that extra attack at Fighter level 5 ASAP IMO.
I'd even consider respeccing?

Also what subclasses? I guess Thief gets an extra Bonus Action, so can make +1 offhand attack at least.
I went with assassin. i basically get 2 sneak attacks at the beginning of combat. for fighter not sure yet, maybe battle master.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I've confirmed the most lulzy bug with Polearm Mastery: if you have it and you enter an enemy with Polearm Mastery's reach, the game gives you control over whether they make their AoO or not. The game essentially thinks your character is the one reacting. If you click yes, the enemy makes the AoO.

Barbarian

Arcane
I'm playing fighter rogue but have never played 5e before. Any tips on how to build it? R6/f6? Medium armor mastery or go just straight ability score increases for feats? I'm running r4/f2 currently and he's decent so far.
You should really get that extra attack at Fighter level 5 ASAP IMO.
I'd even consider respeccing?

Also what subclasses? I guess Thief gets an extra Bonus Action, so can make +1 offhand attack at least.
I went with assassin. i basically get 2 sneak attacks at the beginning of combat. for fighter not sure yet, maybe battle master.

Yup, having tons of fun with it.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel rogue or wizard/sorcerer is the scholarly way to play this. Fighter must be somewhat popamole at higher levels with the several attacks.

Run. Smack. Smack again. Run and smack. Smack multiple times until enemy dead. Repeat.

With rogue you have that one decisive strike that can one-shot powerful enemies. That and the bonus actions that facilitate navigating the enviroment and using it to your favor.

Also nobody talks about how powerful uncanny dodge is. Halving damage means in practice you feel like having barbarian levels of hp pool.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom