Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 - tips, tricks & helpful information

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
For me finding these items is like top 3 joy of playing these games. Can't imagine datamining them all beforehand :D

Yosh is too busy at work to play the games.

Know dat feel. Starting work again tomorrow, new girlfriend comes home from Berlin Wednesday. But it was fun while it lasted :negative:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
None of the feats come even close

Not true. Most no, but there are deffo combinations that are worth it.

Too much choice fries people’s brains.

There's actually not much choice and many of the options are bad or look bad on the surface, so I think people just jump to conclusions and assume it's shit. Making the feats work is often more complicated than taking something that has obvious synergy by way of bonuses. Well, except for Tavern Brawler, that shit is just insane no matter how you look at it :D

They even added stat boosts to some of the Feats because they knew people would be this retarded. There are at least five Feats I’d want before even looking at the raw stat boost and the ones that give you the bonus + 1 often fit in to something your class is trying to do anyway.

Feats are flat out more fun because they change the way the tactics play out and if you adjust with them they’re more powerful too. Win-win.

Desiderius

Patron
For me finding these items is like top 3 joy of playing these games. Can't imagine datamining them all beforehand :D

Yosh is too busy at work to play the games.

Know dat feel. Starting work again tomorrow, new girlfriend comes home from Berlin Wednesday. But it was fun while it lasted :negative:

I spend too many hours I should be sleeping on games now that I have (more than) a life. Boys start school next week so I’ll have more time but will miss them terribly.

Voids

Augur
I'm playing fighter rogue but have never played 5e before. Any tips on how to build it? R6/f6? Medium armor mastery or go just straight ability score increases for feats? I'm running r4/f2 currently and he's decent so far.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

There's actually not much choice and many of the options are bad or look bad on the surface, so I think people just jump to conclusions and assume it's shit. Making the feats work is often more complicated than taking something that has obvious synergy by way of bonuses. Well, except for Tavern Brawler, that shit is just insane no matter how you look at it :D

Tavern brawler is exceptional. I actually respecced into it, then I respecced out of it due to the fact it's buggy.

Unfortunately, it requires a strength based monk build OR a strength based barb/fighter. And strength based monks are bugged right now because tavern brawler doesn't apply to any of the open handed monk bonus actions.

For fighter/barbarian, brawler is a necessity to offset the "weight of amazing gear."

However, after building my monk character. It's definitely becoming apparent that a Tavern Brawler fighter/barbarian is *probably* better at min-maxing for monk's main job, rolling high and hitting boss characters.

Desiderius

Patron

Tavern brawler is exceptional. I actually respecced into it, then I respecced out of it due to the fact it's buggy.

Unfortunately, it requires a strength based monk build OR a strength based barb/fighter. And strength based monks are bugged right now because tavern brawler doesn't apply to any of the open handed monk bonus actions.

For fighter/barbarian, brawler is a necessity to offset the "weight of amazing gear."

However, after building my monk character. It's definitely becoming apparent that a Tavern Brawler fighter/barbarian is *probably* better at min-maxing for monk's main job, rolling high and hitting boss characters.

It’s almost certainly way too early to say that with anything approaching certainty and it seems like 5E is playing the Pathfinder game of screwing people who try to do 3.5-style multi-classing within the ruleset.

Desiderius

Patron
No reason to despair.

Way more replayability/variety in letting the distinct classes develop in different ways compared too looking up some guide that that tells you what perfect combo of dips and splashes will give you the uber build that plays out the same way every fight/playthrough.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Can somebody explain stealing to me?
Each time I successfully pickpocket someone or get a red item from hide, a guard spawns seconds later and accuses me of thievery.
Looks either broken or there is some unexplained mechanic at work here?

Yosharian

Arcane
Anyone playing an Assassin or other DEX character? I'm curious how often you win initiative. Tactician if possible.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Each time I successfully pickpocket someone or get a red item from hide, a guard spawns seconds later and accuses me of thievery.
Pickpocketing in Larian's games always feels messy. I usually try to avoid doing it because it has a tendency to break the game and make NPCs have some rather irrational behaviour.

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
AH, I figured out why I lose the bonus action when attacking with main hand. Apparantly it auto-uses dual wielding and attacks automatically with offhand. Kind of shit, and I see no way to turn it off?

You might have figured it already but there's a dual wielding toggle below the weapon slot of the in-game HUD

Urthor

Prophet
Patron

It’s almost certainly way too early to say that with anything approaching certainty and it seems like 5E is playing the Pathfinder game of screwing people who try to do 3.5-style multi-classing within the ruleset.

Oh, I meant pure fighter OR pure barbarian specced for unarmed melee. Apologies, not up with the D&D lingo.

As a dyed in the wool power-gamer, multi-classing before level 6 SEEMS TO BE a really terrible idea in 5E. In 5E you just get get way, way too much good stuff at level 5 & 6 in most classes.

Fighters get an *entire bloody attack* at level 5. *An entire bloody attack.*

5E clearly is intentionally designed such that "dipping" isn't a power-move IMO. I don't think anyone is multiclassing before end-game.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
There are definitely situations where an early multiclass gives you quite a lot, but yeah the issue is that 5th level for most classes gives you very powerful stuff. I toyed with taking an early Sorc level on my Sorcadin, to get Shield and other stuff, but it's just counter-productive. Better to go straight Paladin 6 then start messing with other classes.

_V_

Liturgist
Well, after lots fiddling around, I finally found a build that I like. 1 lvl bard, rest fighter. And I actually took the bard lvl first. One lvl in bard opens speaking with animals, longstride and friendship while making sleight of hand available as a proficiency.
Yes, I sacrifice a feat and I'm always a level behind when getting extra attacks, feats and indominable... But I have a viable character out of combat (talker/lockpick) whom I can still play as a "normal" fighter and who should be (almost) on par with a straight fighter a level 12.
So I disagree that a dip "has" to happen after lvl 5/6 or at the very end ;)

jackofshadows

Magister
yeah Im now entering act2 and Im lvl 7
playtime 29h

Yep same as me.
What a murderhobos are you. I entered act2 earlier today with 6 lvl and just a bit. And don't think I missed anything major if not counting wiping out gobbos. Playtime 36h btw.
I stand corrected - what I meant was the EA content meaning the first area + underdark + grymforge. Now after I wiped out giths almost got 7 lvl as well and didn't even technically enter act 2.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
AH, I figured out why I lose the bonus action when attacking with main hand. Apparantly it auto-uses dual wielding and attacks automatically with offhand. Kind of shit, and I see no way to turn it off?

You might have figured it already but there's a dual wielding toggle below the weapon slot of the in-game HUD

Really? Will have to check when I get home. It turns off the automation? Does it then also turn off the OP AoOs?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
yeah Im now entering act2 and Im lvl 7
playtime 29h

Yep same as me.
What a murderhobos are you. I entered act2 earlier today with 6 lvl and just a bit. And don't think I missed anything major if not counting wiping out gobbos. Playtime 36h btw.
I stand corrected - what I meant was the EA content meaning the first area + underdark + grymforge. Now after I wiped out giths almost got 7 lvl as well and didn't even technically entered act 2.

See AwesomeButton Swen it’s really not irregular. And the game fully expects you to do both Underdark and Mountain, because there are necessary companion quests in both areas.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

The alertness/attitude system is completely broken. I had to play around with it yesterday to fix a broken quest and it was a nightmare.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Oh no no no CDPR fans

a0KVg1M.png

fbD4gfY.png

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Oh no no no CDPR fans

a0KVg1M.png

fbD4gfY.png
Well, Witcher 3 had its production values, huge world and awesome graphics, characters and cinematics, nice atmosphere and ambience - but was a huge decline in so many aspects as well.

First Witcher, best Witcher. So whatever.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

Oh, I meant pure fighter OR pure barbarian specced for unarmed melee. Apologies, not up with the D&D lingo.

As a dyed in the wool power-gamer, multi-classing before level 6 SEEMS TO BE a really terrible idea in 5E. In 5E you just get get way, way too much good stuff at level 5 & 6 in most classes.

Fighters get an *entire bloody attack* at level 5. *An entire bloody attack.

5E clearly is intentionally designed such that "dipping" isn't a power-move IMO. I don't think anyone is multiclassing before end-game.

In principle, I agree.
However some class features can only be gotten when you start with the class. For example Heavy Armor Profi comes to mind, if you want to ignore Dex.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
I'm playing fighter rogue but have never played 5e before. Any tips on how to build it? R6/f6? Medium armor mastery or go just straight ability score increases for feats? I'm running r4/f2 currently and he's decent so far.
You should really get that extra attack at Fighter level 5 ASAP IMO.
I'd even consider respeccing?

Also what subclasses? I guess Thief gets an extra Bonus Action, so can make +1 offhand attack at least.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Fighters get an *entire bloody attack* at level 5. *An entire bloody attack.

In principle, I agree.
However some class feautures can only be gotten when you star with the class. For example Heavy Armor Profi comes to mind, if you want to ignore Dex.

And important save profs

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom