Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 - tips, tricks & helpful information

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
AH, I figured out why I lose the bonus action when attacking with main hand. Apparantly it auto-uses dual wielding and attacks automatically with offhand. Kind of shit, and I see no way to turn it off?

Barbarian

Arcane
Rolling with Shart, Asstarion and Gayle. Not missing a martial on tactician, surprisingly. 2 rogues kind of redundant but lots of damage output early levels.

I imagine I will have a much harder time at higher levels. Probably will take the vampire homo out and recruit Minsc.

ITT, everyone else I met so far was too annoying. Wyll and Karlach are reddit tier fanfiction. Laezel is an annoying bitch. Vamp is a faggot but at least he got me curious about his character arch and how his plan to kill Cazador will go down.

The whole game I feel like has been an excercise in loving martials, except for Spirit Guardians which is the most insane all-purpose spell. Other spells may look more powerful, but Spirit Guardians makes my Shadowheart top DPS of every fight even though she can't melee for shit.
I think the system is very versatile and all classes are viable.

Later levels I would wager fighter stands out against all other classes though. Literal 9 attacks per round wtf.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Rolling with Shart, Asstarion and Gayle. Not missing a martial on tactician, surprisingly. 2 rogues kind of redundant but lots of damage output early levels.

I imagine I will have a much harder time at higher levels. Probably will take the vampire homo out and recruit Minsc.

ITT, everyone else I met so far was too annoying. Wyll and Karlach are reddit tier fanfiction. Laezel is an annoying bitch. Vamp is a faggot but at least he got me curious about his character arch and how his plan to kill Cazador will go down.

The whole game I feel like has been an excercise in loving martials, except for Spirit Guardians which is the most insane all-purpose spell. Other spells may look more powerful, but Spirit Guardians makes my Shadowheart top DPS of every fight even though she can't melee for shit.
I think the system is very versatile and all classes are viable.

Later levels I would wager fighter stands out against all other classes. Literal 9 attacks per round wtf

Even without 9 attacks per round, the main advantage martials have over other classes is that they simply don't need to rest. Of course you can just long rest spam, but the point is that is that martials do as much as the other classes to dispatch enemies, they just last longer on top.

You don't need CC in this game, at least not up to the point where I'm at. The only thing that makes casters worthwhile is Healing Word and AoE - the latter is really, really awesome in some fights.

jackofshadows

Magister
Something is definitely up. When I attack with main hand before off hand on the character, it loses its bonus action somehow.
Yeah I noticed that on my double hand xboxs. Annoying but only slightly because it's on my caster. With dedicated shooter that's another story I imagine.
The only thing that makes casters worthwhile is Healing Word and AoE - the latter is really, really awesome in some fights.
And also buffing martials even more :)

Re resting I kinda gave up on default playing as little resting as possible but not spamming it either ofc. Just go with the flow just as with the rest of everying else. In that sense I'm amazed by this game. Just play as you like and see what happens. Like, who would've thought.

Barbarian

Arcane
Rest spamming is 100% a thing by Larian.

I have noticed no penalty or reason not to do it. Camp supplies are very abundant too. You also actually have to do it often to trigger events.

volklore

Arcane
Makes you wonder why bother to implement long and short rest if it doesn't really put restrictions on long rests...

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Makes you wonder why bother to implement long and short rest if it doesn't really put restrictions on long rests...

For gronards and tryhards like me. I only long rest when everyone is at deaths door and noone has any spells left. Even then I push them into some combat situtations. (which mostly ends in tears)

jackofshadows

Magister
Rest spamming is 100% a thing by Larian.

I have noticed no penalty or reason not to do it. Camp supplies are very abundant too. You also actually have to do it often to trigger events.
Not quite. Apparently there're plenty of events that are timed either locally either on rests. Sometimes the game explicitly tells you that (Nere). That said, some events aren't tied to that while their should (like if you rest just before Kahga judge the kid nothing happens etc).

volklore

Arcane
How's the competition for gear btw? I am planning on most likely running MC as a barb and bring the Gith chick so that would probably be two str focused char, feasible ?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
How's the competition for gear btw? I am planning on most likely running MC as a barb and bring the Gith chick so that would probably be two str focused char, feasible ?

Yes. Very. You could probably have a full party of identical characters and still be OK. The itemization is quite good.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Spirit Guardians
Only if your AC is high enough to not get prioritized by a random goblin with a shortbow who is juuuust out of reach from the martials on the battlefield.
I still think that having a wizard cast Haste, or Hold Person, or to clear up a swarm of annoying pests, is extremely important.

I am spoiled for choice for my barbarian, I've discovered 5-6 top tier 2h weapons. One great when you are low HP, one can do an extra AOE attack, one with extra damage against small creatures, one with extra fire damage, one with extra damage against constructs, one that can pull enemies towards you, etc, etc.

However, in all of Act I, there was only 1 cape I found.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Spirit Guardians
Only if your AC is high enough to not get prioritized by a random goblin with a shortbow who is juuuust out of reach from the martials on the battlefield.

Why? So many ways to boost Concentration I've never had this issue since getting the spell. Just put on a shield and a medium armor and your AC, while not good, is good enough that your sick Concentration save and immunities will carry you.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
Need some help understanding how attribute increases work in this system. I know you get them on specific level breakpoints per class, so a full 12 levels gets 3 of those, as does a 8/4 presumably, but an 11/1 will only get two, right? Do permanent attribute increases exist outside of that? Mostly asking for the purpose of starting a new character in the future, as coupled with how attribute bonuses work, it looks like you should avoid odd starting attributes under most circumstances?

Barbarian

Arcane
Need some help understanding how attribute increases work in this system. I know you get them on specific level breakpoints per class, so a full 12 levels gets 3 of those, as does a 8/4 presumably, but an 11/1 will only get two, right? Do permanent attribute increases exist outside of that? Mostly asking for the purpose of starting a new character in the future, as coupled with how attribute bonuses work, it looks like you should avoid odd starting attributes under most circumstances?
Yup, feat/ability increase tied to class level and not total character level.

Only known attribute increase is hag hair you can get in act 1(+1 any attribute). There may be more.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

You get +2 to a stat, or +1 to two, every 4 CLASS levels (that's within a single class), so level 4, 8, 10, OR you pick a feat instead. Some feats grant +1 to a single ability score.

There are loot sources for permanent stat upgrades, but don't count on them. Can always respec if you find one.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Lackluster feats is something that really stood out at level 4. None of the feats come even close to justifying any other choice than that sweet, sweet, +1 to attack rolls from +2 in the attributes. For frontliner, backliner or caster.

5E's character sheet is SO weak on tactician. You're essentially desperate to use the environment, all the oil/gunpowder barrels, because 5E's rules are so balanced.

Maybe I just need to respec out of monk back into fighter though.

It says a lot that out of the entire cast of abilities, the humble +2 to rolls bless n prep is the true stalwart.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
Okay, so instinctively, even starting numbers for general ease of progression, odd ones for metagaming.

Seems like dipping has a much higher opportunity cost too, unless itemisation picks up the attribute slack.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
None of the feats come even close to justifying any other choice than that sweet, sweet, +1 to attack rolls from +2 in the attributes. For frontliner, backliner or caster.
War Caster is worth it on a cleric for sure. Maybe that orc native feat is worth it on a non-orc barbarian.
I haven't looked at feats much, because i set up my attributes in a way where I had to add +1 to two of them to round them up.

jackofshadows

Magister
Lackluster feats is something that really stood out at level 4. None of the feats come even close to justifying any other choice than that sweet, sweet, +1 to attack rolls from +2 in the attributes. For frontliner, backliner or caster.
I'm VERY happy with choosing GWM for Laezel on 4, by boosting accuracy via other means I got immense damage output from her and now hasted she deletes everything. By the way I'm not entirely sure which bonuses stack and which don't because sometimes I feel like they don't which is weird.

And yeah, war caster seems good for SH so far until I get something to boost her con or give her advantage on those saving throws.

Barbarian

Arcane
Okay, so instinctively, even starting numbers for general ease of progression, odd ones for metagaming.

Seems like dipping has a much higher opportunity cost too, unless itemisation picks up the attribute slack.

If you want to equal level two classes for instance you would get feats/asi at levels 7 and 8 instead of 4 and 8. Not to mention every class has power creep at level 5(i.e bonus attack, uncanny dodge, etc) and you would only get those at levels 9 and 10. Keep in mind the level cap is 12.

So yeah, in this game not really worth it. Maybe respec worth it at end game, but then what is the point?

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

If you want to equal level two classes for instance you would get feats/asi at levels 7 and 8 instead of 4 and 8. Not to mention every class has power creep at level 5(i.e bonus attack, uncanny dodge, etc) and you would only get those at levels 9 and 10. Keep in mind the level cap is 12.

So yeah, in this game not really worth it. Maybe respec worth it at end game, but then what is the point?
This kind of thinking got me to change my mind in the last moment, and I am playing a pure Lore Bard instead of 2 Warlock + Bard.
Eldrich blast is missed, I basically have no damage, but constantly using poisons, scrolls and grenades makes up for it.

Shrimp

Arbiter
FWIW with the current rate I'm receiving experience I wouldn't be surprised if you end up being level 12 long before reaching the end of the game.
Of course it remains to be seen if this actually is the case, but it appears you'll get some time to play around with your max level tools and not just get them an hour before the end credits come rolling.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
yeah Im now entering act2 and Im lvl 7
playtime 29h

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom