Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 - tips, tricks & helpful information

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
FYI. Karmic dices don't change the average difficulty of the checks. The average of occurrences is the same as the unbiased dices. They just reduce the probability to have too many successive bad or lucky strikes, because human brain erroneously perceive these as not random.

jackofshadows

Magister
Yikes

Bless from the staff in Arcane Tower doesn't require concentration. That is SICK
It seems bugged.
When you use it, the staff gives mystra's bless AND the common Bless, which IS require concentration. Then when you say cancel that usual Bless you still have Mystra on every target. Either way it's completely busted item. At least they've fixed that you cannot just give it to someone else and cast again :)

Yosharian

Arcane
Yikes

Bless from the staff in Arcane Tower doesn't require concentration. That is SICK
It seems bugged.
When you use it, the staff gives mystra's bless AND the common Bless, which IS require concentration. Then when you say cancel that usual Bless you still have Mystra on every target. Either way it's completely busted item. At least they've fixed that you cannot just give it to someone else and cast again :)
I see, so it is the one I was thinking of. Yeah that ability is a weird one.

I'm guessing the intention is that you have to cast Bless and keep concentrating on it in order to maintain the blessing.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yikes

Wait what. Can you be more specific?

Just a staff that grants an improved version of Bless but doesn't require Concentration.
Yes, what is called lol

I've seen a similar staff and want to check if it's the one I'm thinking of

I had no idea it didn't require concentration

staff of arcane blessing

it seems like items in general don't require concentration for their powers, the singing sword doesn't either

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The bard's spell list has become really terrible. Most of it's in there, but the changes fuck them over. For example, Greater Invis used to be their level 4 slot bread and butter, but the Larian version breaks fast especially if your characters isn't stealthy. On top of that they made Polymorph complete ass - it's almost like a Tasha's with half duration.

So level 4 is Freedom of Movement... and that's kind of it. Unless the nerfed Confusion appeals to you.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
wizard dip looking pretty good for bard then huh :? oh well I don't want to abuse multiclassing too much first playthrough I just keep pure wizard char for now

jackofshadows

Magister
I understand the reasoning behind war caster suck and probably respec it later (not sure though maybe won't toouch that feature at all unless some spells will turn out next to useless etc) but I note that shocking cantrip scales up on lvl 5 which is nice actually.

And yeah, haste hasn't been nerfed which is insane... but I will abuse it at least some.

Barbarian

Arcane
I have been playing on "tactician". Some challenges and some reloads, but nothing major.

I imagine the lower difficulties to be pretty popamole.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I have been playing on "tactician". Some challenges and some reloads, but nothing major.

I imagine the lower difficulties to be pretty popamole.

I've had a grand total of one (1) really, really challenging fight (not counting demon dude on nautiloid), and I got an achievement for beating it because you're supposed to puzzle solve it :lol:

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
On my bard, I had a few items from levels 2-4 that had great synergy:
  • when you inspire, heal and give temporary hitpoints
  • when you heal, get temp hitpoints
  • when you heal, bless for a turn
So just inspiring someone chained a lot of positive little events.
But now I found myself replacing them and suddenly I'm more of a bad wizard than an actual bard. At least I don't have stealth problems, I can perform scouting, unlocking, disarming just fine instead of a rogue. Underdark has good and early light armor to aid in that, and an arthurian sword that performs a big buff.

That mass hypnosis sphere thingy spell that I can't remember the name of, is very hard to use given its friendly fire and how most big encounters have archers situated far away from the main melee. I think I'll stick to Hold Person.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Well I made it to level 8 before Yosharian full-filled his duty, so I can confirm you cannot take 2x Resilient. Though at this point I'm wondering whether Resilient (Wisdom) isn't the biggest waste on planet Earth seeing as all those durge Wisdom saves don't seem to be a real thing. OTOH, I did just

have a visit from the butler saying my urge would be harder and harder to resist if I didn't start indulging, but eh, at this point they have me doubting how much this shit will really matter if at all outside the endgame. Right now it barely feels like I'm playing an Origin.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Huh I got enemy of justice from
killing evil ppl in forge
hope that does not fk me later, oh well Im doing durge playthrough so it might be fitting

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
How is the game performance wise? My computer is a rust bucket, just above the minimum specs. Will the game run OK or is it better to wait until I've upgraded my system?

Yosharian

Arcane
Well I made it to level 8 before Yosharian full-filled his duty, so I can confirm you cannot take 2x Resilient. Though at this point I'm wondering whether Resilient (Wisdom) isn't the biggest waste on planet Earth seeing as all those durge Wisdom saves don't seem to be a real thing. OTOH, I did just

have a visit from the butler saying my urge would be harder and harder to resist if I didn't start indulging, but eh, at this point they have me doubting how much this shit will really matter if at all outside the endgame. Right now it barely feels like I'm playing an Origin.
Haha sorry dude I forgot to log on, was so tired I went to bed at 8pm last night

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
How is the game performance wise? My computer is a rust bucket, just above the minimum specs. Will the game run OK or is it better to wait until I've upgraded my system?

I think it'll be OK to play with low settings if you can play D:OS2 on high settings.

Yosharian

Arcane
Ok found some biggo news on the BG3Builds subreddit

first of all, Volo's Eye no longer gives
+1 CHA -1 INT. instead it gives permanent See Invisiblity. apparently.

secondly, there is apparently a potion that gives PERMANENT
+2 STR. it involves taking Astarion to see a drow lady in Moonrise that is asking for blood. that's all the guy wrote. trying to get more details but that might mean something to ppl who've met the NPC already i dunno. if anyone knows what this is or has already gotten the potion, I would really like to know the name of the NPC, the specific name of the potion, and if any choices/requirements are involved in making this happen.

I guess Astarion is joining my team now, bye Karlach

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Is Astarion a viable companion if I'm doing good things and being nice to people? Or will he complain like a bitch and leave?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Ok found some biggo news on the BG3Builds subreddit

first of all, Volo's Eye no longer gives +1 CHA -1 INT. instead it gives permanent See Invisiblity. apparently.

secondly, there is apparently a potion that gives PERMANENT +2 STR. it involves taking Astarion to see a drow lady in Moonrise that is asking for blood. that's all the guy wrote. trying to get more details but that might mean something to ppl who've met the NPC already i dunno. if anyone knows what this is or has already gotten the potion, I would really like to know the name of the NPC, the specific name of the potion, and if any choices/requirements are involved in making this happen.

I guess Astarion is joining my team now, bye Karlach

Mah dude. Can spoiler tag just a lil bit

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Is Astarion a viable companion if I'm doing good things and being nice to people? Or will he complain like a bitch and leave?

Astarion is easily the most directly sadistic companion, but he’s still in my camp and I do good shit constantly

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
The straightforward "good guy" party is probably Gale, Wyll and Karlach. Which is incidentally a so-so approximation of the utility, damage, tank setup. You just need to bring your own thievery on the Protagonist.

Also, so far at least, it seems like Gale and Shadowheart are more relevant to the main plot than the other party members, who are mostly after their own personal issues. No spoilers, you can kinda tell the magnitude of their respective tasks very early on.

Barbarian

Arcane

Astarion is easily the most directly sadistic companion, but he’s still in my camp and I do good shit constantly

He will probably eventually betray you. That is what I would guess at least. He is the only guy in my party who likes the tadpole and wants to embrace its powers. Probably will be very keen on joining this "absolute" cult.

He is also very unhappy with everything I did so far, except

killing the bard

"Evil" party member so to speak

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom