Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate & Baldur's Gate II Mod Thread

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Modderfuckers gonna mod...

I just don't believe it. Even more grounded mods like Rogue Rebalancing that claim to add somewhat balanced gear results in elven chainmail being sold at the nashkel fair for like 2k gold.

elven chainmail doesn't disable spell casting, it's a highly sought item in BG2, and we're talking potential acquisition in act 1 of BG.
You sure? I've played rogue rebalancing before and I don't remember seeing that at the smithy. I didn't use all of RR since I didn't like some of the changes to kits but I'm pretty sure I added all the items and stuff.

That said elven chainmail isn't that important for mages because they have the shield spell which gives even better AC, it's mostly there to let thieves have an armor they can use their skills in.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I just don't believe it. Even more grounded mods like Rogue Rebalancing that claim to add somewhat balanced gear results in elven chainmail being sold at the nashkel fair for like 2k gold.

elven chainmail doesn't disable spell casting, it's a highly sought item in BG2, and we're talking potential acquisition in act 1 of BG.
You sure? I've played rogue rebalancing before and I don't remember seeing that at the smithy. I didn't use all of RR since I didn't like some of the changes to kits but I'm pretty sure I added all the items and stuff.

That said elven chainmail isn't that important for mages because they have the shield spell which gives even better AC, it's mostly there to let thieves have an armor they can use their skills in.
100%. It is one of the outdoor NPCs at the Carnival (I said fair, oops), added with the "additional equipment for thieves and bards" component.

100%. It is one of the outdoor NPCs at the Carnival (I said fair, oops), added with the "additional equipment for thieves and bards" component.
Song and Silence is what you're thinking of agris - adds an NPC named Raoul to the carnival who sells among things an off-brand Elven Chain called "Caster's Chain" for about 5000. Cost is pretty steep vs. spells from an early game visit to Thalantyr. The real sin is the cheap leather armor he sells that allows for spell casting.

Elven Chain is in BG:EE at baseline courtesy of the gay orc's companion quest.

agris

Arcane
Patron

Song and Silence is what you're thinking of agris - adds an NPC named Raoul to the carnival who sells among things an off-brand Elven Chain called "Caster's Chain" for about 5000. The real sin is the cheap leather armor he sells that allows for spell casting.

Elven Chain's in BG:EE at baseline anyway courtesy of the gay orc's companion quest
Thank you, yes you're right. RR adds OP gear to various existing merchants throughout BG1

• Bergost blacksmith: Composite Short Bow, Composite Short Bow +1, Buckler+1, The Stalwart Defender, Masterbelt, The Weary Cudgel
  • Ulgoth'sBeard innkeeper: CompositeShort Bow, CompositeShort Bow +1, CompositeShort Bow +2,Buckler+1, Buckler+2, FadingGlory, ReturningFrost Dart, Harp of Descant
  • High Hedge: Fragmentof Enlightenment, Deep Red Ioun Stone
  • BlackLily: Buckler+1, Buckler+2, CompositeShort Bow, CompositeShort Bow +1, CompositeShort Bow +2,Sparkburst, Safeguard, Lyre of Progression, Cowl of Acuity

Not sure why I thought Beregost when you said Nashkel. But I see we've figured it all out now, and I can't find elven chainmail in my RR install (don't have song and silence)

agris

Arcane
Patron
Not sure why I thought Beregost when you said Nashkel. But I see we've figured it all out now, and I can't find elven chainmail in my RR install (don't have song and silence)
It's been almost a year since I setup my last BG1 run, this is the only Song and Silence component I ended up using (installed before RR & CDTweaks)

Changes to trueclass bards and thieves, and unmodded game kits (required for other components)
Required for all other components.

This component changes thieves and bards to be more in line with P&P rules and my own personal views on the classes. Firstly, alignment restrictions have been changed. Thieves can now be of any alignment (previously Lawful Good was prohibited) as can kitless Bards and Blades. Jesters and Skalds can now be of any non-Lawful alignment.

Secondly, this component fixes several bugs to do with bards and rogues in the unmodded game. These are listed below. Some of these bugs may be fixed by other mods/patches/fixpacks such as BG2 Fixpack. There will be no problems with having the fixes from both sources installed.

Blades not actually suffering a penalty to their Pick Pockets skill as the description states.
Skalds were not getting a bonus to hit as the description states.
Swashbucklers had incorrect maximum proficiency slots in Katana, Crossbow, Short Bow and Sling.

Thirdly, thieves (kitless and kitted) can now place 3 proficiency points in Two Weapon Fighting Style. The Swashbuckler description has been altered to reflect the fact that this is now not unique to them.

Further versions will include HLA changes - at the moment I would suggest using aVENGER's Rogue Rebalancing from Spellhold Studios as an alternative. aVENGER has graciously allowed us to use his work as a basis for HLAs in this mod, so if you've been using Rogue Rebalancing and liked that you should hopefully enjoy this mod too!

The Stalwart Defender, Masterbelt
Those two in particular are fucking crazy for an otherwise relatively sober mod.

My perception of balance improvements over time to older BGI&II mods is in the context of relativity to previous iterations that were all bonkers.

Elven Chain is in BG:EE at baseline courtesy of the gay orc's companion quest.
do yourself a favor and download Convenient Enhanced Edition NPCs and install "Modify Enhanced Edition NPCs -> Disable all NPCs"

voila, no beamshit!
Essential. Literally the 1st mod I downloaded for EE. The SHS Nostalgia Pack has an option for reverting some other EE changes too.

Because I can't help myself here's another Raoul banger

mtPEYqF.png

A +2 buckler by Chapter 2 of the game for <1000 gold.

Kiel's Buckler is on the 2nd level of the Durlag's Tower labyrinth.

If I keep looking too closely I'll be a Sawyerite true believer before long.

Shaki

Arbiter

Elven chainmail is not even good, it's purely a QoL item. lvl 1 wizard's spell "shield" already provides better AC, and later Ghost/Spirit armor at lvls 3/4 make it completely obsolete. People like it because BG 1/2 is pretty easy, and they'd rather run with a little lower AC than bother to recast buffs, but it doesn't really add anything to your "power level", other than saving you a spell slot, but there is no limit to resting, so spell slots are pretty irrelevant anyway.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

std::namespace

mastroego

Arcane
Quick comments after playing for a while.

The Imoen forever mod is an awesome idea. It changes everything.

Clay Golem being granted that unavoidable "no heal curse" is insanely annoying.
Summons, you say? Yeah, try facing like 6-8 clay golems who are free to get at you from all directions and see if you can avoid the curse even with that.
Really, modders, sometimes.

That's all I have to say for today.

mastroego

Arcane
It's not about her being special, but she's charname's sister and it's a main plot element.
Her getting kidnapped later is a brilliant solution to the old design issue with the city quests.

About clay golems, I forgot clerics have a 3rd level Remove Curse. It works, so: slightly less annoying.
Thought I had to go to a temple while I was locked inside the Sphere.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
It's not about her being special, but she's charname's sister and it's a main plot element.
Her getting kidnapped later is a brilliant solution to the old design issue with the city quests.

About clay golems, I forgot clerics have a 3rd level Remove Curse. It works, so: slightly less annoying.
Thought I had to go to a temple while I was locked inside the Sphere.
Half sister.
And she is a Mage.
Not as powerful as Edwin and his broken amulet which grants him TWO additional spells for every spell level, but she is a Dual Thief/Mage and can pick locks, disarm traps, pickpocket (if you give her some potions)...

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hey Codex, I mentioned arrows facing the wrong way with GOG BG1 vanilla some time ago, and by chance found a 'let's play' on Youtube. Here's a screenshot:

If you pause it just at this timestamp as Imoen fires her bow, you can see the arrow facing the wrong way. Just a heads up for people running Nvidia cards. In the comments of this guy's Episode 1 he stated this is his video card. AFAIK there isn't a fix other than running AMD cards. Which have all kinds of shit now with their software.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Because I can't help myself here's another Raoul banger

mtPEYqF.png

A +2 buckler by Chapter 2 of the game for <1000 gold.

Kiel's Buckler is on the 2nd level of the Durlag's Tower labyrinth.

If I keep looking too closely I'll be a Sawyerite true believer before long.
Cool.
Now you just need to find the +6 Longsword of Doom and Destruction that slays on every hit with no Save allowed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom