Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden 2 Kickstarter Launched

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Seeing Alcohol as the cure for Asperger's in Barkley 1 might have been the hardest I've ever laughed. Several minutes afterwards, I cried myself to sleep with the knowledge that video games were indeed art.

:bravo:

Murk

Arcane
I think this is my favorite kickstarter so far. It's just so... good.

Seriously, just look at the goal counter -- it's so good:

9000c54ba12e78b95f9ea0dbc0ca176a_large.gif

FrancoTAU

Cipher
I'm sure you got more than a grand from the Codex. I know I actually stumbled upon your kickstarter directly on the Kickstarter Video game section looking over Thorvalla or whatever else I pledged too at that time, so it wouldn't be shown as linking from the codex.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
It probably doesn't sound like much, but the people here are responsible for more than 1% of our total pledges, almost $1000, and that's huge to me, so thank you all. You guys are the best.
How can you tell?
There's a page with a ton of information about how many people have given from each site. So far 37 people from RPG Codex have given, but that just means people who have gotten to the Kickstarter from a link on RPG Codex. I'm sure that it's actually more than that.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Can't tell you how happy I am that this is going so good for you guys - great job and great presentation. Got my interest to play part 1 and this will be a day 1 purchase (C) Morgoth. (Don't have much to spare right now). Are you guys thinking of getting on Steam with this, possibly through Greenlight ? Seems like a game that would do real well there.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It probably doesn't sound like much, but the people here are responsible for more than 1% of our total pledges, almost $1000, and that's huge to me, so thank you all. You guys are the best.
How can you tell?
There's a page with a ton of information about how many people have given from each site. So far 37 people from RPG Codex have given, but that just means people who have gotten to the Kickstarter from a link on RPG Codex. I'm sure that it's actually more than that.
I can't speak for others, but I found your project while browsing KS. Many others could be in the same situation, so what KS is telling you about how much Codexers have contributed is definitely less than the real sum donated by Codexers.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Damn, if I'd known kickstarter kept track of that, I would have found a link on RPGWatch.

:troll:

As a side note, The Drain Clean Pudgey has been confirmed.

Will donate few dollars once you get paypal running (you sure could try to make it more visible, put some links on kickstarter page or something). I never even heard about Barkley Shut Up and Jam before. Playing through it right now, for a shitty rpgmaker game it's .. actually pretty good.

Morkar Left

That means I have to play the first one, too? Not that I mind, just busy.

cboyardee What will the save import affect? Is it like ME save imports or will you import stats from npcs / your old char/party?

St. Toxic

Arcane
How limited is DwarfNET going to be anyway? Half the codex members would qualify as viable cameos, but that 420$ is pretty steep. Why not 'immortalize' some 600 backers for 60$ a pop?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
6000 bucks to go for Nightmare City. :mca:

I hope you guys have some extra back up stretch goals in case you go over 70k, which seems pretty possible at this point.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
That means I have to play the first one, too? Not that I mind, just busy.

cboyardee What will the save import affect? Is it like ME save imports or will you import stats from npcs / your old char/party?
Well, Barkley 2 uses a different character and statistic system from the original game, so it doesn't directly translate, but some of the choices the player makes + items they have will have effects on the game.

How limited is DwarfNET going to be anyway? Half the codex members would qualify as viable cameos, but that 420$ is pretty steep. Why not 'immortalize' some 600 backers for 60$ a pop?
What do you mean by limited? It's pretty much a mock in-game forum. I don't know for certain how many posters or posts it will have, but it will be fairly substantial.

St. Toxic

Arcane
What do you mean by limited? It's pretty much a mock in-game forum. I don't know for certain how many posters or posts it will have, but it will be fairly substantial.

I mean, what kind of role does it play in the game? Is it linked to the 'main quest' where you absolutely have to access DwarfNET once or twice to progress further? Will the player be using it throughout the entire game, checking to see if anything has been updated as a sort of link to further progress? Will the whole thing be crammed full of meaningful, in the sense of necessary, content or are we talking about mainly optional content with meaningful bits sprinkled in between? It's a great idea overall and a good way of fleshing out the game without putting too much effort into it (having DwarfNET personas describing characters, environments and situations rather than implementing these in the game, graphics and all), so if anything I'm just advising against a minimalist approach to DwarfNET. It wouldn't actually hurt the game to have it as cluttered as the average forum might be, and there's a lot of potential for shoving genuine forum lore in there that backers are likely to relate to with a sense of comfortable familiarity, naturally utilizing the TimCain™ approach to references.

In short, I hope there's more than just 30 odd usernames and avatars referencing actual people. But, supposing that there are, the 420$ might end up feeling like a bit of a con. Perhaps if it bought a prominent role, where these contributors ended up being reoccurring key-personas in the DwarfNET side of the saga, but maybe that was what you had intended to begin with?

Morkar Left

Well, Barkley 2 uses a different character and statistic system from the original game, so it doesn't directly translate, but some of the choices the player makes + items they have will have effects on the game.

Makes sense considering the plot I suppose. At least it's another reason to play the first game (but QfG comes first).

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
DwarfNET reminds me of .Hack, which had the potential of being a good weeaboo, but horribly implemented RTwP ruined it. It seems that the more pretend ways players have to interact with NPC's, the more immersive a game becomes. I'm actually surprised more devs don't come up with similar features for fleshing out their games. I guess it's the whole idea that real multiplayer is better than fake multiplayer, but depending on the game that isn't always the case. Needless to say, I'm really looking forward to how DwarfNET shakes out.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer

I mean, what kind of role does it play in the game? Is it linked to the 'main quest' where you absolutely have to access DwarfNET once or twice to progress further? Will the player be using it throughout the entire game, checking to see if anything has been updated as a sort of link to further progress? Will the whole thing be crammed full of meaningful, in the sense of necessary, content or are we talking about mainly optional content with meaningful bits sprinkled in between? It's a great idea overall and a good way of fleshing out the game without putting too much effort into it (having DwarfNET personas describing characters, environments and situations rather than implementing these in the game, graphics and all), so if anything I'm just advising against a minimalist approach to DwarfNET. It wouldn't actually hurt the game to have it as cluttered as the average forum might be, and there's a lot of potential for shoving genuine forum lore in there that backers are likely to relate to with a sense of comfortable familiarity, naturally utilizing the TimCain™ approach to references.

In short, I hope there's more than just 30 odd usernames and avatars referencing actual people. But, supposing that there are, the 420$ might end up feeling like a bit of a con. Perhaps if it bought a prominent role, where these contributors ended up being reoccurring key-personas in the DwarfNET side of the saga, but maybe that was what you had intended to begin with?
Hey, sorry for getting back to you so late. We've been super busy, I think we'll have some very big announcements soon.

DwarfNET is still a work in progress, but it is a big part of our vision for the game. There are certain quests that require you to use DwarfNET and you can get major hints regarding the main storyline quest on it as well, but the main idea behind DwarfNET is that it is a funny, weird thing. We want it to be iconic in the same way that the pumps from the first game were - something completely unique to the game and with a lot of character. With exception to the handful of quests that you need to use DwarfNET for though, it is largely optional, and this is game all about optional content, so I think that's reasonable. I really don't want to give too much about the character of DwarfNET away, but imagine a forum made up entirely of hivers and Prospers.

The $420 reward is a more fun version of the "HAVE YOUR NAME IN THE GAME" Kickstarter standard. All of the $420 backers will be recurring characters on DwarfNET and although we want DwarfNET to have this feeling of anonymity (like in-game anonymity, the people who use it in the game are hiding their identities) we want a handful of the people in it to be identifiable in the actual game. I feel like I'm giving away too much here but DwarfNET is a really fun and funny idea that I think will stand out among a lot of the other things we do with this game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom