Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Day 45 and found my first Unhold, it was alone with a single Hexen, so I thought I'd try it out.

As it turned out, two wardogs were enough to keep the Unhold distracted for about 4 turns until I could completely surround it - and then in lockstep everyone moved in. That's something like 20+ attacks in a single round, so it wasn't going to make it through.

I can imagine it's a lot more troublesome if it's accompanied by other troops, but they're meant to be pretty solitary, right?
I've found them in groups of 2-3 usually. Also the northern variation is harder - they actually have "armor".

*I believe they tend to visit to the goat pens of villages to presumably eat some goats, cool touch

Reinhardt

Arcane
but they're meant to be pretty solitary, right?
Around day 130 there was one group of 10. Good thing i was on the mountain when they found me so managed to run to the other side. and it's not even in wild lands, i just tried to use shortcut between towns... Maybe they were mixed with other monsters but i was too scared and busy running away so didn't checked. 1 skull contract now is 4-5 unholds.

Reinhardt

Arcane
They are not that scary. Bigger ork warriors. It seems like heavy armor protects against their attacks just fine so they start really break bones only if managed to reach backline.
Now if i see contract for trees i just run. They are rape incarnates.

Reinhardt

Arcane
28bcfib.jpg

Prime Junta

I whacked my first Unhold as well. Was not hard, but then it was lonely and I happened to have a bunch of archers and peltasts even it was a low-level company.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
They are not that scary. Bigger ork warriors. It seems like heavy armor protects against their attacks just fine so they start really break bones only if managed to reach backline.
I guess it depends on wich Unhold version you get. I don't see an early- or midgame company take on 5 'Northern' Unholds without losses.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Oh, wtf, game? Guards? Anyone? I'm trying to do business here. 151/152 inventory already...
15efnux.jpg

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
By the way, couldn't the way unique weapons are generated be adjusted for them to be well... less shit? I've seen 6 so far and and only a single one actually had higher damage output.

Others had useless shit like higher durability (like it ever mattered on a weapon). Or a sword where the only difference from a normal one is some lousy +5% to head hit, meh.

Reinhardt

Arcane
And i'm poorfag again. Only 38k left... And i've spent my money on stupid hats. Well, and shiny 2h hammer.

tindrli

Arcane
My party was literaly obliterated. 7 of them by one fuck Hex and 2 those... 2 those.. fuck cant remember names like giant frogy dudes. they were mostly lvl 4 and since its day 70 i decide to accept my faith and retire... damn how does one effectly combat a hex.. seems like resolve is more important than ever

Jrpgfan

Erudite

Have every bro with axes and focus on destroying the shield. Most of the time they will waste their turn regenerating it.

I beat them without breaking their shield because I found them pretty easy to hit. Does the shield add to their HP or something? haven't paid attention to that.

Barbarian

Arcane
I'm currently over 100 days and going through first crisis(noble war). I noticed that about 30 days ago or so random events stopped firing up. Or so it seems at least... used to get them every few days.

Is it because most of my bros are beyond level 5 or is something broke with my save? Is this normal?

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It seems like attrition is a big part of the noble war lategame crisis, which is something I haven't really had to deal with thus far, outside of having had to field bros with temporary injuries once in a while. I don't see how it's possible to complete raids without having to engage in multiple fights in quick succession, for example, and the multi-stage quests like sieges don't allow for much downtime either. It's different, and makes me think I should've kept spare sets of armour for my bros instead of selling them, and try to come up with ways to minimize equipment damage as well as damage to health. What sort of weapons do people usually field in lategame? I haven't made it to the point yet where I plan specific loadouts; I've just been going with a random collection of good stuff I pick up as loot, but now that efficiency appears to be the name of the game I think I could probably do better.

Barbarian

Arcane
It seems like attrition is a big part of the noble war lategame crisis, which is something I haven't really had to deal with thus far, outside of having had to field bros with temporary injuries once in a while. I don't see how it's possible to complete raids without having to engage in multiple fights in quick succession, for example, and the multi-stage quests like sieges don't allow for much downtime either. It's different, and makes me think I should've kept spare sets of armour for my bros instead of selling them, and try to come up with ways to minimize equipment damage as well as damage to health. What sort of weapons do people usually field in lategame? I haven't made it to the point yet where I plan specific loadouts; I've just been going with a random collection of good stuff I pick up as loot, but now that efficiency appears to be the name of the game I think I could probably do better.

You need a decent reserve bro. I got 5 good reserves now and have been managing to hold well. Problem is you can't forget to rotate them due to morale.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Noble war is free time. I usually don't even bother, because it mess with my trade. And now, when prices for wood in cities with destroyed buildings are crazy it's even more profitable.

cjfjoifuuaeca8i2.jpg

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Encountered my first unhold with a new band of brothers. Ouch. I take it the correct strategy is to have a single high defense character distract him in melee, and then a bunch of polearm and ranged characters to pile on the damage? I killed him, but he was incredibly difficult for a low tier group, I was just lucky I had 3 shit-tier polearm weapons. He was accompanied by 3 werewolves (I think I interrupted their fight?), but thankfully they separated and hit me in two waves because of the speed difference.

I think the unhold killed 2 characters and injured basically everyone else. He is immune to stun and my spear-wall did nothing. Huge amount of health and he regenerates, has a sweep attack, and throws your guys around. He's like an Orc-troll on steroids.

I still get a weird delay when leaving a town, like 2-3 seconds of it delaying before I'm back on world map -- even after the last patch.

Unfortunate but not game breaking, but it definitely wasn't there before.

Also, loving the DLC -- only got about 8 hours in it since I'm also playing Mechanicus, but is good stuff.

Are you playing on Ironman mode? That forces the game to autosave around the towns, which causes a delay on my computer. I turn the ironman setting off because of this, and just pretend that it's on. I think there's still an autosave setting, but you can press F5 to quicksave. Honestly, the game is stable enough that I have no real need to save/load.

So this is a noob question, but for some reason I've enjoyed playing BB for dozens of hours in a completely unoptimised 'go with the flow' way. What are people's favoured strategies for necromancers in the early game?

The obvious path is to snipe the necro, but I usually find that they are so far behind, and with a bodyguard to give them cover, so early level archers usually don't have the range/accuracy to do it efficiently. Maybe if you have a ~60 skill Bullseye archer with a second tier bow, which is not guaranteed early game depending on your start.

That means I usually end up just advancing slowly as a group, smashing the undead as fast as possible, and having a strong bro make a beeline for the necro once there's an opening. That works when the group is fairly strong relative to the undead, but if you're facing, say, a dozen mostly armoured wiedergangers and your dudes are level 2-4, it's a bit trickier.

Relatedly, I'm curious as to the rules for zombie resurrection. We know that normally, sitting on zombies' corpses is a reliable way to prevent their raising, just like you stand on dead nachzehrers so they don't get eaten. But when necros are in play that seems to go out the window, and I'm not sure what exactly the rule is. We know the necro can use his turn to evil-eyes a zombie & also raise one, but at the start of every round where a necro is alive, you seem to get anywhere between 0 and 3 raises, even of the ones you're sitting on. Is it just random no-limits raising as long as the necro is alive?

I play very defensively until he goes down. Usually I will try to snipe him, but if I lack good ranged options then I will try to smash through the centre and charge him, or flank around the sides. Use the adrenaline ability to charge around the enemy line or exploit a gap, you should be able to catch him without too much difficulty. Once he's engaged, he's useless.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I turn the ironman setting off because of this, and just pretend that it's on
I think i'll go this route too from now. I have no problem with game stability but we already had 2 blackouts in our town in last month.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom