Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For me the main challenge is the visual clusterfuck. But the loot is worth the pain.
Funny, in my opinion they're the best fights the game has to offer. The slow tide of battle with shifting flanks, sending polearm-users to and fro protecting vulnerable areas, pinning down advancing troops, etc. They're as tactical as BB gets, and offer something different from the regular brawls, while retaining all the benefits of brigand fights. They do drag on, of course, but they haven't been too common in my runs, maybe 3-4 per war (of which I've only had 2 in total). The loot you get is great, but I would enjoy the noble war fights even if it weren't.

Tigranes

Arcane
Oh, I do love them, I tend ot always select War as the first crisis. I certainly prefer the human variety to, say, a dozen Undead swarms. I'm saying that once you get used to handling the big numbers and your allies, it's generally a very manageable challenge for players.

vazha

Arcane
Looks like everyone and their mom got their champions (even gobbos, lol) but no noble war troops. Seems to be an oversight. If the undead can have sir Roland the Hollow, why cannot a noble house have his brother, sir Richard The Wholesome? Would be neat and also would give you more incentive to actually attack noble houses even when its not war (I always do anyway, those orc war camps beg for some kiting)

Payd Shell

Arcane
I've been building my lone wolf brothers with battleforged in mind, the whole frontline and backline, with the exception of a nimble bannerman and a nimble flanker with a fencing sword. Melts bandits, undead, noble troops and other mercs. Barbarians are tricky, but so far I've seen some good results, though I spam disarm against most dangerous enemies. Sure I'm missing some dps but taking one enemy completely out of the game for a round is pretty nifty, especially since you can do that from two tiles away. Haven't fought greenskins yet, I don't think orcs will be much of a hassle, but goblins might be. What sucks is that if you use battleforged hybrids, you have to use helmets that impair your vision significantly. Armored crossbowmen mow down everything that advances to your formation, but enemy archers generally stay at range.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Funny, in my opinion they're the best fights the game has to offer. The slow tide of battle with shifting flanks, sending polearm-users to and fro protecting vulnerable areas, pinning down advancing troops, etc. They're as tactical as BB gets, and offer something different from the regular brawls, while retaining all the benefits of brigand fights. They do drag on, of course, but they haven't been too common in my runs, maybe 3-4 per war (of which I've only had 2 in total). The loot you get is great, but I would enjoy the noble war fights even if it weren't.

:bro:

They do drag on, a 20/30 soldiers on each side fight can wear you off and make you quit the game for a couple of days but i agree, they're quite interesting.
The next challenge being protecting your allies and getting no losses and fewer losses as possible for your ally.
Most would agree to say their billmen and pikemen are quite dangerous but i try to rush 2H swordmen before they can get in position and strike (which is usually not that hard, they're swamped by their own troops and can't strike before long) and you don't want to end up in close combat with a knight and his goons either.
A Fencer can help a lot to route them fast mowwing down their crossbowmen and billmen.

Legend Mod in Legendary difficulty wise, i took my save back, spent 2 perks points i was saving, got the lone berserker to lvl 7 and it finally turned alright, looks like i only had shitty rolls for the first 2 weeks or so.
Then i added a +6 roster upgrade after a couple more of level up and recruited (i overlooked theearly +2, +3 and +4 roster upgrades), it's now business as usual.

Still, all the brigands have the nimble perk (didn't notice at first) so do the webnecht and the Unholds now regen like 30-40% HP a turn instead or 10-15% ...
Also, Wielderganger now poison you and unlike the goblins poison, it doesn't wear off and increase in power, leaving you with 3AP after a couple of turns ...

Covenant

Savant
Speaking of saving perk points, anyone got any tips on curing myself of that behaviour? I'm terrible with it in games. Used to have over a hundred stat points saved in Diablo II (Hardcore, mind you) at any one time. In Battle Brothers I frequently have at least a couple saved on two or three guys, because I'm invariably thinking 'IF they get great Fat rolls from this point I'll do X, if not Y', or 'This guy is amazing, what weapon mastery should I give him? Hmm, I'll see what famed items I find'. 'Should I make this guy a hybrid? Let's see what his ranged rolls are like'.

Obviously allowing us to re-spec would be decline (though doing it in a limited fashion - and attaching a large cost - would be a great alternative use for the veteran's hall, which is currently pretty boring), so I need to break the habit if I'm ever going to beat the highest-tier shit like Black Monolith or Goblin City.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
I am serious btw

obsessing over dumb shit like mimaxing opportunity with saving up perks(in an economic attrition simulator of all things) is a symptom of a high inhibition cowardly life view

you just have to become more reckless as a person overall and stop stressing over the little bits, just put that perk point in and see what happens, become more decisive and if whatever decision you made ends up being the wrong choice learn from it and make a better snap decision in the future, this is the only way to live and learn with your head held high and its the true difference between the chad and incel(other than, of course, maxilla development during adolescence)

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
you can not make a truly correct decision without first making several wrong ones and understanding why this was the case

Covenant

Savant
Before jumping straight to the armchair psychology, I'd be more inclined to just attribute it to mainly playing roguelikes or long RPGs in Ironman mode, where the best play is generally to play cautiously and leave your options open until you have as much information as possible. Assuming you want to rack up your streaks, anyway.

That said, you're right that the thing to do is probably just YOLO it and learn from the results.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://steamcommunity.com/games/365360/announcements/detail/1590247899062751085
Update 1.3.0.21
7 Jun @ 5:37pm - rapsdjff

Changelog for 1.3.0.21
  • Changed monetary value of named weapons to be more consistent.
  • Changed Schrats to be more susceptible to being taunted.
  • Changed some minor things to further improve AI behavior.
  • Fixed incorrect cost of 'Spearwall' skill for named Spetum.
  • Fixed fights involving cultist opponents not loading.
  • Fixed issue with lone player character fighting against a high tier Nachzehrer.
  • Fixed potentially incorrect text at the end of Barbarian King contract.
  • Fixed event after beating the Icy Cave not firing in rare cases.
  • Fixed various minor issues.

Murk

Arcane
Top two are my favorite style and look pretty darn good actually. Should make those variants for famed heavy helms.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
it wouldn't fit at all wtf

even golden age guts is completely next level compared to the relatively crippled characters that BB units are even on the high end

Tigranes

Arcane
Speaking of saving perk points, anyone got any tips on curing myself of that behaviour? I'm terrible with it in games. Used to have over a hundred stat points saved in Diablo II (Hardcore, mind you) at any one time. In Battle Brothers I frequently have at least a couple saved on two or three guys, because I'm invariably thinking 'IF they get great Fat rolls from this point I'll do X, if not Y', or 'This guy is amazing, what weapon mastery should I give him? Hmm, I'll see what famed items I find'. 'Should I make this guy a hybrid? Let's see what his ranged rolls are like'.

Obviously allowing us to re-spec would be decline (though doing it in a limited fashion - and attaching a large cost - would be a great alternative use for the veteran's hall, which is currently pretty boring), so I need to break the habit if I'm ever going to beat the highest-tier shit like Black Monolith or Goblin City.

When you have an agonising moment where you spend 15 minutes calculating it all and then end up deferring the perk point, look back on that a few hours of gameplay later, and ask - did all of that agonising really make this character appreciably different? If you just spent it on some not-the-most-optimal place, would you ever have noticed the massive difference it made in his combat capacity? Would you even remember the difference?

At one point I realised, "oh I spent 30 minutes theorycrafting X skill feat etc combo vs Y" for NWN2 or Diablo or whatever - "but the extra 2% damage, am I even going to notice it if I didn't have it? I'm killing mobs about 0.001 second faster, but I spent 2 hours agonising about it, is this really a net gain in fun or efficiency?"

Sometimes, doing this in games is a little bit like standing in a store worrying about the tiniest of differences between this trashcan and this other trashcan, before realising that after you buy one and bring it home, nobody in the universe is ever going to notice these differences enough for it to matter.

Murk

Arcane
I used to keep a spare point for end-game optimization (should I take duelist on this guy? I'll wait to see if I get a good 1handed famed weapon, etc.) but the times I did that I ended up just walking around with an unspent point for 50-100+ in game days and not using the point, ever. Now I just take whatever seems fun at the moment.

Anyway, just take something that's always useful like fortified mind or take something that gives you more tactical use, like adrenaline or taunt.

If you later do find the special weapon that makes you change your mind then make a new bro to spec it out or just use a hex editor to adjust one of your current dudes. It's a game, if it's causing you to be stressed out over stuff like a marginal opportunity cost then things are going wrong.

edit: If you do play with a full combat party of 12, then use 2 characters for wacky weirdo builds and experiment with them. If you find that almost all of your characters have an "optimal" build that's a literal copy-paste of one another, try recruiting a decentish temp brother (militia, squire, brawler, etc.) and give them a weird atypical build you'd never use typically and see where it takes you.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
Yep.
That's Guts in manga/anime too compared to normal poor mooks.

I've still toyed with idea how hideously OP he would be in this kind of setting.
yeah but this game is not really about combat either from a tactical or action perspective so having a combat focused character like guts be the center of a mod would imo defeat the whole point

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Yep.
That's Guts in manga/anime too compared to normal poor mooks.

I've still toyed with idea how hideously OP he would be in this kind of setting.
yeah but this game is not really about combat either from a tactical or action perspective so having a combat focused character like guts be the center of a mod would imo defeat the whole point
Why focus on Guts when you could do Griffith focus instead?
Besides silly unbalanced mods are fun now and then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom