Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter BATTLETECH - turn-based mech combat from Harebrained Schemes

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by Infinitron, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Van-d-all Liturgist

Van-d-all
    Just slap a discount on the DLC pack already so I can grab them at a price they are closer to being worth.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Iluvcheezcake Liturgist

Iluvcheezcake
    Such promising setting wasted on Harebrained ...

• Despair Despair x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Lone Wolf Arcane

Lone Wolf
    No Clan expansion? Did the game sell like shit, or something?

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. fastjack Augur

fastjack
    Too bad about no clan expansion imo.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Eh, without a total overhaul (as in, totally removing any traces of the baggage from tabletop) it'd just be a similar sort of mechanical nightmare as ClanTech always is.

Also the canon storyline is kinda dumb anyway (and I say this with the recognition that all the basic ingredients are there, they're just all implemented badly), as Rich Evans correctly summarized in disdain "HONOR WARRIOR MAKE HONOR," tho a lot of the bullshit is baked in the way the setting is sort of stupid in a general sense (tl;dr as usual, the way AeroSpace is *constantly* conspicuously absent because they didn't have the balls to just Macross more).

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Trash Pointing and laughing.

Trash
    What bothered me mostly was how samey the missions outside of the main storyline and flashpoints were. The recent MW3 despite its many flaws did have quite a few genuinely memorable missions. BT hardly had any and the open campaign felt pointless and boring because of it. The amount of boring maps and lack of helicopters and infantry only made it worse. Missed opportunity that even the mods have done little to improve upon.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. AdamReith Magister Patron

AdamReith
    RPG Wokedex
    Man, playing this for the first time was such a total let down. The fact that they won't even improve it is the icing on the cake.

Still, they managed to make giant robots blasting each other, salvaging mechs and mech modification somehow uninteresting which is an acheivement in itself. Hopefully whoever picks up the mantle for a turn based MW game does everything completey opposite.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Filthy Kalinite Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    Did HBS give any hints about their next project?

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. fastjack Augur

fastjack
    A lot of people are hoping for a new Shadowrun or Crimson Skies, but I believe their license from MS expires(ed?) in 2020 and I'm not sure they will renew it since Harebrained was bought by Paradox, and with MS being more heavily into PC than they were when the license was granted that makes them a competitor now (imo). Also I'd look for Weissmann to jump ship as soon as his contract wit Paradox allows since he is historically something of a serial entrepreneur who seems to found companies, increase their value, sell them and start the process over again. I also wouldn't be surprised if he went back to microsoft to head a studio focused on FASA properties for PC again though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Really looking for my tranny vampire with haitian/arab/polynesean background on the next Vampire: The Masquerade game they will make.

• Excited! Excited! x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Picked this up, gave it a whirl. My god its amazing how poorly designed it is.

4 unit cap, really? Firaxis figured out that even nuXCOM needed an unlockable 6 unit cap back in 2012.

Not having a tonnage-limited deployment, or some kind of deployment limit/cost, is insanely stupid. There's even a deployment tonnage counter on the deployment screen but its just fucking irrelevant. Presumably the devs' suffered from their IQ temporarily skyrocketing to the room temperature level required to figure out that a tonnage limitation was needed but then forgot to actually implement it.

This game accomplishes an incredible feat of becoming dumber and less strategic as the game goes on. The first few missions are the best because you can actually flank and shit and use something other than just standing and firing till things die. Running around and jump jetting behind things with a Panther to snipe from behind with an LRM and PPC was cool. Skip ahead 10 missions and you'll just get chewed up instantly, because for some dumbfuck reason being shot at makes it easier for other things to hit you and you'll have 8+ AIs shooting per round. Loadout becomes progressively less interesting as you play, because where there's lots of options when you have 3 weapon slots and 12 tons available, when you have 3 weapon slots and 30 tons available you just fucking pick the biggest weapons because no one is loading small, short-ranged laser pointers to shine on enemy assault mechs surrounded by 6 other enemy mechs.

Who the fuck decided on this targetting system? i.e. not having a targetting system at all unless you spend magic?. All I've played is Mechwarrior where angling your body is fairly useful to hide your weakened side. Here? Only cardinal directions matter and its a pure dice roll unaffected by the mech structure or relative position other than cardinal direction. This makes orientation fairly useless as you always need to be positioned at least a little bit forward-facing because you need to fucking shoot things, yet the damaged arm that should be 95% hidden behind the entire rest of the mech's body has the exact same chance to be hit as the opposing arm that is directly in front of the line of fire. I don't know tabletop rules but I'm going to guess this is some dumb shit they took from there because no one could think that the current system makes sense for a game. Due to how you have 8 separate targets to hit from the front it becomes highly random whether you get enough repeated rolls to hit the same thing and actually disable the enemy, and its also random whether you took out an arm that has literally nothing or the central torso that kills the mech. I also don't recall having 3 separate armor levels for the torso in mechwarrior, it's really fucking obnoxious. The targetting spell itself is a joke, it only adds like a few % to target a specific part which makes it useless and irrelevant that fixes none of the problems with the dice system... until you level tactics and suddenly you have a 35% chance for every weapon to hit the head, utterly breaking the game. What is even the point of shooting at any other point than the head then? Also why does DFA not hit the head? Isn't that the whole point of the maneouver?

AI is awful, as soon as combat starts it just sort of blindly walks towards you until it can see and shoot you. It seems to merely be walking towards the center of your group of mechs, which means if you space them out into four corners the AI flat out breaks, letting you abuse initiative to peak out and take potshots then get back into cover by their next turn, where they'll just walk around in the center of the map. As far as I can tell in 95% of random missions getting in combat with any AI effectively aggros the whole map towards you, and the 5% is usually the AI bugging out on cliff wall.

Why is there no recon or even a general force estimation for 90% of maps? Why are we bidding on salvage when we don't even know the enemies? I did several missions where I bid high on salvage and there weren't even fucking mechs that showed up! The mech salvage system is atrocious. Getting 2 or 3 "wrecks" for a kill rather than just 1 is pure luck until you get the game-breaking headshot ability, which means taking any more than 1 salvage pick is basically just praying to the RNG gods. Why do you have to pay multiple times for different parts of the same whole mech you just headshotted anyway? Was King Solomon summoned on-site to make the three cuts into the completely whole mech? Furthermore how are players expected to estimate their ammo requirements based on the expected number of enemies? Oh right, just get a bigger mech so you can carry 480 LRMs. There's not even a damn map of the area to see where you are deploying before you deploy.

This game has the most godawful performance I've ever experienced. I've dealt with shit loading times, fine, whatever, I can leave it windowed on one monitor while I fuck around on another. But how does the game lag for a second every fucking time I bring up the UI element to fire a weapon, or dismiss said UI? How does the most COMMON FUCKING ACTION OF THE GAME REMAIN BROKEN? I could literally pay some pajeet programmer $50 to create a game UI for me, and he could create an in-game chrome browser that loads twitter photos of the UI element on-demand, and it would still be more responsive than this sack of shit.

I'm sure all this and more has been thoroughly discussed at this point.

Random question for whoever here might actually know a lore more about the Battletech lore than I do: Isn't the scale of combat for the universe completely fucking off? Like with battles where whole worlds are taken by low hundreds or even dozens of mechs? Shouldn't any reasonably normally advanced planet with a billion or so people be maintaining forces of hundreds of thousands of mechs? I mean I get that at this specific point in the timeline mechs are supposed to be really high tech and hard to reproduce well for the inner sphere in a sort of dark age, but even still mechs literally weigh 25-100 tons, quite comparable to modern tanks, so anything that could produce them should be able to churn them out at least as fast as we can churn out tanks in the 21st century if needed (btw this is really weird, why are 100 ton tanks microscopic next to 25 ton mechs?). Is there an explanation for this lack of large armed forces or is it all sort of just ignored for the purpose of allowing small level tactical fights to win wars?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    • Brofist x 6
    • Informative x 2
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Olinser Savant

Olinser
    Yes, the scale of combat has always been ludicrously off in the universe. At absolute peak the biggest clans only had a few thousand 'mechs each.

They never gave exact numbers, but the 'standard' large unit in the Inner Sphere was the Regiment, which is approximately 100 to 200 mechs (depending on tonnage, composition of non-mech units, and organization), usually averaging about 150 mechs. A Regimental Combat Team was basically a Regiment of mechs with support units, and they would be responsible for a decent sized sector consisting of possibly dozens of worlds.

Smaller non-strategically valuable inner sphere worlds had at most a Company of mechs on them, which was typically 3 Lances with possibly a support Lance (~12-16 mechs). Larger non-strategic worlds rarely had more than a Battalion, which was 3 Companies (~36-50 mechs).

At their absolute peak the Com Guards were the single biggest military force in the entire universe, able to fight 7 clans at once in the Battle of Tukayyid, and they consisted of if I recall correctly 12 Armies, with an Army being somewhat variable but averaging about 1000 mechs (plus or minus a couple hundred).

So the single biggest unified military force in in the setting by a huge margin had about 12,000 deployable mechs at peak, and they had the capability to easily conquer the entire Inner Sphere if they wanted to.

THEORETICALLY they hand-waved this away by saying the RCTs and up had large units of infantry, but in practice they never told you the details of those units.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    As discussed many times already, blame incompetence and trannies wasting more time designing Mary Sues, absolutely-haram Muslim women with uncovered sleeves and tattoos, removing the blonde hair from the character creation and replacing it with pronouns and so on.

See above. Lunatics can't code, but can complain non-stop.

Olinser says it. One of the (many) broken promises was that you would be allowed to deploy vehicles along with your mechs, but it never happened.

Soo, is this game worth a play-through with mods and all of the DLCs by now? I would ignore the story and focus only on the gameplay bits, of course.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • No No x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Country_Gravy Arcane Patron

Country_Gravy
    Wasteland 2
    i have the DLC on wishlist. They want $27.69 for all DLC. I will be playing this again when the season pass is $4.99.

This IP seems to have so much potential and always comes up short.

I paid about $50 for MW online as a founder and it never turned out how I wanted. That's cool. I'm not much into twitch combat.

This had "Remember Shadow Hawk's Revenge on the C64 when you were in second grade? We did that shit only better." written all over it.

All they did was shit on my memory of good TB BattleTech combat. I'm going to install a C64 emulator and save on my $5 when this thing gets put in the discount bin at Software Etc.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Here's that final update: https://steamcommunity.com/games/637090/announcements/detail/1709616757504899224

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Grotesque ±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Patron

Grotesque
    Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

Trans life simulation.

Something along the lines of The Sims with an emphasis on the struggles and hurdles of making the transition and being a trans in a big urban center.

• Funny x 3
    • [citation needed] x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. razvedchiki Erudite Sad Loser

razvedchiki
    hows roguetech? they introduced the ability to field more than 1 lance per deployment sometime ago.

^ Top  
  19. Country_Gravy Arcane Patron

Country_Gravy
    Wasteland 2
    I don't think the DLC is worth it at this price. I wish this game had been good.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Trans-Financial-Man Prophet

Trans-Financial-Man
    Roguetech is still abhorrent at balance and despite repeated pleas to change the loot table so everyone and their mum doesn't field OP Lostech. The mod author still hasn't actually balanced the game. Commander's Edition is still your best bet for the dynamic house wars and territory control. But it's not perfect either and is quite unstable.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. oldmanpaco Master of Siestas

oldmanpaco
    This game was such a disappointment that I felt the need to write a negative review. Only the 2nd or 3rd Ive ever done.

• Brofist x 1
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. tindrli Arcane

tindrli
    while i still play it from time to time i couldn't agree more bro. it could be great game but after all this time its just not worth it

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. TemplarGR Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

TemplarGR
    I think the worst part of this game is the attrocius optimization, both in performance terms and in loading times. Yes, the gameplay is limited and wastes the setting's potential, but still, if the stages loaded rapidly and the game actually ran according to its graphical quality and not like a PS6 game, most people would overlook its faults and enjoy it. After all, if we wanted to improve the gameplay we could always mod it, but seeing as the base game is a chore to even load the menu screen, why bother? There are no people playing and thus no cool mods.

This is my main pet-peeve with isometric indies in general. They are horribly optimized and they ruin the mood. You can expect something like Red Dead Redemption to need a beastly PC but not Battletech.... I just lose any motivation to keep playing.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. tindrli Arcane

tindrli
    beside many many things. i dont see how can one enjoy a game where you constantly watch a same cut scenes of same of a same

• Agree Agree x 2
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. oldmanpaco Master of Siestas

oldmanpaco
    Yeah the loading times were absurd. Its not like the maps were huge or the objects all that varied and detailed. And the delay when doing simple things like targeting enemies was ass as well.

This remains my biggest KS regret and I backed Torment.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.