Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION - isometric post-apocalyptic adventure from STASIS developer

V_K

Arcane
Saw a patch download on Steam. Good thing I'm waiting for the weekend.
Personally I haven't encountered any bugs in ~8 hours yet. But then again, my playthrough of Stygian was also mostly bug-free.

Got bored and left

Ok, so do ya think I'll enjoy this if adventure games aren't really my thing? It's so damn pretty I'll probably give it a try anyway, but I am on the fence somewhat. Is it GUD?

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Now every time I get stuck I don't know if it's a bug or I don't get it.
like when
finding the brother with broken legs and ribso nly to leave him there without saying even hello because all I was able to do at map location was to push a button on a terminal. WHAT!?

V_K

Arcane
Ok, so do ya think I'll enjoy this if adventure games aren't really my thing? It's so damn pretty I'll probably give it a try anyway, but I am on the fence somewhat. Is it GUD?
You do understand that a GUD adventure and an adventure that someone who's not into adventures would enjoy are two opposite things, right?
The game is reasonably easy if you have the typical adventure habits (take everything not nailed down, make note of everything that sounds remotely important, comb through every pixel for hotspots), but I can imagine people without those getting frustrated because it's not very hand-holdy and the world is huge.

WallaceChambers

Learned
Im enjoying the game a lot so far but getting the token to fight in the arcade was super random and actually frustrating.
Basically everyone there says they're ready to go and the info slave is like "you can only get the token from a participating contestant" or something like that. So I run back to the dude on the tree stump to try and get it but I cant talk to him. At this point Im convinced the game is glitched but I run around for an hour trying everything I can think of. Turns out you just get it randomly from some other character who never mentioned the arcade before after completing other (seemingly) unrelated quests for her. And to complete that quest I had to randomly think to run all the way over to the far side of the map and talk to the floating brain dude. Just so he could tell me something he already told me before (that his encoder was stolen). I had gone up to the person who stole his encoder several times at that point but she was sleeping before. Why did I need to talk to him again just to get the same info so I could complete the quest?

In any case I don't want to be overly negative about this one section because I have been really into the game overall. But it felt like I was actively being mislead by the instructions I was given for the arcade section. The visual design, lore and world building are top notch. I really like all the party bonding moments, especially with POOCH. Reminds me of Unavowed except it's a bit more natural here.

V_K

Arcane
And to complete that quest I had to randomly think to run all the way over to the far side of the map and talk to the floating brain dude. Just so he could tell me something he already told me before (that his encoder was stolen). I had gone up to the person who stole his encoder several times at that point but she was sleeping before. Why did I need to talk to him again just to get the same info so I could complete the quest?
Yep, I found that one annoying as well. I get why you're not allowed to ask for the mcguffin before the story requires you to, but that double dialog was completely unnecessary.

agris

Arcane
Patron
These issues are BD's equivalent of adventure game moon-logic. It's unfortunate.

Bah

Arcane
FYI if you were unaware, there's an easy way to install media foundation in wine
https://github.com/z0z0z/mf-install
afaik winetricks doesn't have it due to licensing issues or somesuch

Yup, mf-install was the first thing I tried. Oddly, installing mf renders the game unplayable and the game loads to a blackscreen with a cursor. :)

For now I'm just skipping ahead through peoples youtube let's plays when I reach what I think is a skipped cutscene and watching the cutscenes that way.

Jinn

Arcane
Now every time I get stuck I don't know if it's a bug or I don't get it.
like when

Pretty sure

not being able to talk to your brother isn't a bug. He is supposed to be passed out from his injuries, and I don't think you can engage with him until you find a way to help him with that.

As for the panel

definitely not a bug. Basically, it allows you to access another satellite panel in another location.

I'd just operate under the assumption that you're working with adventure game logic most of the time, rather than thinking you've encountered a bug.

WallaceChambers

Learned
So im not sure about how some of this C&C stuff plays out. (spoilers for the "nest" conflict)
Without giving any story particulars does anyone know if you can resolve the nest conflict without killing the doctor? It seems like there should be a choice to do it. She says to give her the weather device but I can't do it. I was thinking maybe I needed to combine it with the spores first, since that's how the game says it works. But when I go there all I can do is talk to the fungus and there's nothing to pick up or use an item on. So is this really a choice or does it just seem like there's one? Because I've already wasted a lot of time trying different things. I'm about to just try another line of missions to see if I randomly get what I need to side with the doctor somewhere else.

Got bored and left

You do understand that a GUD adventure and an adventure that someone who's not into adventures would enjoy are two opposite things, right?
The game is reasonably easy if you have the typical adventure habits (take everything not nailed down, make note of everything that sounds remotely important, comb through every pixel for hotspots), but I can imagine people without those getting frustrated because it's not very hand-holdy and the world is huge.

What I meant is that I'm not terribly into untangling the nonsensical thought process behind certain puzzles in adventure games. I'll give it a spin and we'll see ;)

Jinn

Arcane
What I meant is that I'm not terribly into untangling the nonsensical thought process behind certain puzzles in adventure games. I'll give it a spin and we'll see ;)

I'm not big on adventure games in general, and I like Beautiful Desolation quite a lot.

Considering your avatar is from a game only a step away from an adventure game, I think you'll like it.

Got bored and left

I'm not big on adventure games in general, and I like Beautiful Desolation quite a lot.

Considering your avatar is from a game only a step away from an adventure game, I think you'll like it.

Yeah, I was kinda hoping someone would go "Dood, you like Disco Hipsterium, OF COURSE YOU'RE GONNA ENJOY THIS". So thanks.

Downloading!

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
So im not sure about how some of this C&C stuff plays out. (spoilers for the "nest" conflict)
Without giving any story particulars does anyone know if you can resolve the nest conflict without killing the doctor? It seems like there should be a choice to do it. She says to give her the weather device but I can't do it. I was thinking maybe I needed to combine it with the spores first, since that's how the game says it works. But when I go there all I can do is talk to the fungus and there's nothing to pick up or use an item on. So is this really a choice or does it just seem like there's one? Because I've already wasted a lot of time trying different things. I'm about to just try another line of missions to see if I randomly get what I need to side with the doctor somewhere else.

You have to make a choice between her, the Nest or the Moss. Alternatively you can leave them alone and get the Red Mercury from Grave.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
OK I just started but tell me, can you die in incredibly gruesome ways like Stasis or am I wasting my time here?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
OK I just started but tell me, can you die in incredibly gruesome ways like Stasis or am I wasting my time here?

You can't die. Sorry! Next game, I promise. :D

Oh no, no nightmares anymore about rararararararararara surgery machines?

I think I'm OK with it.

Edit:

So far this game is basically Blade Runner with a little bit of inspiration from Chappie.

:lol:

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Anyone, who has unlike me, successfully evolved far enough to pick the right language option on startup, can you find where in the main page options menu I can change the language?

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Okay, sorry if this has been asked before but have we not recieved keys yet? I participated in the Codex campaign but neither got a key per inbox nor per email.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom