Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best RPGs by categories (exploration/reactivity/tactical combat...)

Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik
Name the best RPGs in these categories (only one per category):

1) Exploration;

2) Setting/ambience;

3) Tactical combat;

4) Character creation/progression;

5) Reactivity/Choice & Consequence;

6) Best system/mechanics in action-based RPGs;

7) Itemization;

8) Narrative/Story.

Have fun and fire on.

Shaki

Arbiter
1) Exploration; Vagrus

2) Setting/ambience; Bloodlines, Arcanum

3) Tactical combat; JA2

4) Character creation/progression; Troubleshooter/Pathfinders

5) Reactivity/Choice & Consequence; Age of Decadence/Arcanum

6) Best system/mechanics in action-based RPGs; If it's action based then it's not an RPG

7) Itemization; JA2

8) Narrative/Story; Who cares, storyfags are ghey

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
1) Exploration;

Eye of the Beholder

2) Setting/ambience;

Age of Decadence

3) Tactical combat;

The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk

will figure out later...

ELEX

Gothic

7) Itemization;

Don't care too much; Eye of the Beholder was exciting enough on that front

8) Narrative/Story.

Nehrim

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
1) Exploration

Grimoire

2) Setting/ambience

Eye of the Beholder II

3) Tactical combat

Baldur's Gate II

4) Character creation/progression

Wizardry 7

5) Reactivity/Choice & Consequences

Age of Decadence

6) Best system in action-based RPGs

Action games are not RPGs

7) Itemization

Baldur's Gate II

8) Narrative/Story

Planescape Torment

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
  1. Exploration
    • Dungeon Master
  2. Setting/ambience
    • The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
  3. Tactical combat
    • Gold Box games
  4. Character creation/progression
    • The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
  5. Reactivity/Choice & Consequence
    • Fallout
  6. Best system/mechanics in action-based RPGs
    • Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
  7. Itemization
    • Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss
  8. Narrative/Story
    • Narrative writing in CRPGs was a mistake

Zlaja

Arcane
My favorite in each category, but not necessarily the best:

1) Exploration

Gothic 2

2) Setting/Ambience

Morrowind & Fallout 1 (I couldn't fucking choose)

3) Tactical Combat

TOEE

4) Character creation/Progression

Arcanum

5) Reactivity/Choice & Consequence

Fallout 2

6) Best bla bla action-rpg system

Gothic 2

7) Itemization

Baldur's Gate 1&2

8) Narrative/Story

Deus Ex

Last edited:

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
1) Exploration; Underrail

2) Setting/ambience; Fallout

3) Tactical combat; ToEE

4) Character creation/progression; Arcanum

5) Reactivity/Choice & Consequence; AoD

6) Best system/mechanics in action-based RPGs; Path of Exile?

7) Itemization; Arcanum

8) Narrative/Story; Bloodlines/PS:T

Butter

Arcane
Patron
1) Exploration: Deus Ex

2) Setting/ambience: Titan Outpost

3) Tactical combat: Knights of the Chalice

4) Character creation/progression: Wizardry 7

5) Reactivity/Choice & Consequence: Arcanum

6) Best system/mechanics in action-based RPGs: Deus Ex

7) Itemization: Has yet to be done well in RPGs

8) Narrative/Story: Wizardry 7

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
1) Exploration : Dragon Wars

2) Setting/ambience : Wasteland

3) Tactical combat : Pool of Radiance

4) Character creation/progression : Knights of the chalice 2

5) Reactivity/Choice & Consequence : Dragon Wars

6) Best system/mechanics in action-based RPGs : Dark Souls

7) Itemization : Dungeon Rats

8) Narrative/Story : Lurking II : A Madness

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
Exploration
  • Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey (Redux)
Setting/ambience
  • Shin Megami Tensei Strange IV
Tactical combat
  • Knight Arthur: Knight's Tale
Character creation/progression
  • Baldur's Gate (1-2ToB)
Reactivity/Choice & Consequence
  • Fallout 2
Best system/mechanics in action-based RPGs
  • Final Fantasy: Strangers of Paradise
Itemization
  • Diablo 2
Narrative/Story
  • Planescape Torment

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
1) Exploration;

Crystal Project. Like, it's not even close. Equipment, character classes, new 'vehicles'... all out there waiting for you to find with no quest compass handholding bullshit.

2) Setting/ambience;
You know, out of all of them, I struggle to fill this one. Not because of too many good picks, but because of none. There's games with decent settings or ambiance, but nothing really grabbed my attention enough to be memorable for that aspect the way it has in other genres. RPGs inevitably fuck up their own setting and mood by letting you do retarded shit like kill a god with a fucking stick or seeing the party mince a dragon in 3 rounds but surrender to the city watch because 'there's too many of them' or some such shit.

You know what? This goes to DoomRL. Everything you do in the game, ESPECIALLY the ridiculous shit where you blender all your enemies, perfectly fits the themes the game is trying to embody. It may have stolen it's music and setting, and displayed them with fucking ASCII (and later an admittedly decent tileset) but it still fucking wins.

3) Tactical combat;
Troubleshooter? Depends on what you mean by tactical I suppose. If you mean it in the broader sense rather than the genre... either Crystal Project or Labyrinth of Touhou 2 could go here. They're not games which allow you to overwhelm the combat with brute force.
ToME 2.3 (The old angband variant, not the popular graphical roguelike with cooldowns. I should do a post on the skill system in that game, it's a fucking treasure. Now I want to play angband variants again. If anyone knows of something that stole their system without the hellspawned multi-window interface, let me know.
Going to give this to CDDA. The CnC part isn't really there, but the reactivity of the world is fucking amazing. The fact I can bash a kitchen apart with a stick I pulled from kicking down the fence, and then assemble various scraps of appliances, furniture and so forth together to make things like a soldering iron, duffle bag, rain funnel and protective goggles, eventually bootstrapping my way up to cybernetic and genetic augmentations, is fucking awesome. You can disassemble and craft practically anything in this game in a sensible way, and when you die, it's 50/50 odds it's because you did something like slept in the freezing rain or lost all your food when something ripped your bag in combat or you didn't hear a zombie sneak up when you went deaf after firing a gun. Details, man. It's all in the details.

Crosscode. Yeah yeah, not a real RPG yada yada whatever. If Morrowind or even fucking Eye of the Beholder is an rpg when you can just circle strafe everything to death with a toothpick, this is an RPG too. Anyways, the elemntal system and the way it interacts with various enemies and the environment was great. Excellent puzzles and skill checks.
7) Itemization;
ToME 2.3 again. Honestly, someone needs to revive that thing. The randart system, item sets, and fixed artifacts all had really cool places in the gameplay. It felt exciting to find loot after a dungeon or tough boss. And this is after deducting like 5 points out of 10 for the kind of garbage item spam that would make PoE players blush. At least it has a built in loot filter. You know, like 20 years before it was brought to the 'professional' games. Better than their's too, it lets you customize things like auto collection or naming partially identified items.
8) Narrative/Story.
Crosscode again. It's nothing mind blowing, but it's a good, original story with decent characters. RPGs tend to be chosen one nonsense and riddled with so many plotholes (this goes back to the problem with settings in RPGS, you need a setting for a narrative) they bear no thinking about.

Arbiter

Scholar
1) Exploration;
Morrowind

2) Setting/ambience;
Fallout

3) Tactical combat;
ToEE

Arcanum

Arcanum

Diablo 2

7) Itemization;
Diablo 2

8) Narrative/Story.
PST

Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik
1) Exploration: Deus Ex

2) Setting/ambience: Titan Outpost

3) Tactical combat: Knights of the Chalice

4) Character creation/progression: Wizardry 7

5) Reactivity/Choice & Consequence: Arcanum

6) Best system/mechanics in action-based RPGs: Deus Ex

7) Itemization: Has yet to be done well in RPGs

8) Narrative/Story: Wizardry 7

Because of this post, I purchased Titan Outpost. I also concur that Wizardry 7 has the best party advancement, and given how well-written it is, I completely understand why it was chosen for the story.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

1) Exploration;
Deus Ex, the best Immersive Sim/Action rpg hybrid to date
2) Setting/ambience;
Cyberpunk 2077
3) Tactical combat;
Dungeon Rats (most likely because I didn't play Jagged Alliance 2 enough to vote for it)
Underrail, a true autism simulator
Arcanum, even newspapers write about your exploits
Witcher 2, combat more engaging than in 1, more tactical and lethal than in 3
7) Itemization;
System Shock 2, perfection in this regard, I completed the game on my last ammo clips and the very least medikit.
8) Narrative/Story.
Disco Elysium, with Planescape Torment close second

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
1) Exploration;
Space Rangers

2) Setting/ambience;
Witcher

3) Tactical combat;
JA2

Arcanum

AoD

6) Best system/mechanics in action-based RPGs

Every single one of these are mind numbing shit except Gothic 1/2

7) Itemization;

All shit

8) Narrative/Story;

Disco Elysium

Dorateen

Arcane
Exploration
Might & Magic II: Gates to Another World

Setting/Ambiance
Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant
For the sheer weight of the atmosphere upheld by D.W. Bradley's writing.

Tactical Combat
Knights of the Chalice 2

Character Creation/Progress
Champions of Krynn
Creating mages of different robes affected by phases of the moon, selecting deities for clerics with associated bonuses, subraces for dwarves and elves, and progressing through the Knights of Solamnia orders.

Reactivity/Gameplay Choice & Consequences
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands

I don't play action-based video games

Itemization
Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar

Narrative/Story
The entire Moonsea Saga from Pool of Radiance to Pools of Darkness

Serus

Arcane
Patron
1) Exploration;
Cataclysm (Dark Days Ahead or Bright Nights, I prefer BN now)
Yes I know, this a RL/open world/CRPG hybrid. Definitely qualifies as CRPG. You even have NPCs (both random and not), quests and so on. Hell in BN even an end game (work in progress).
And yes i know it is procedural generation. In certain ways. The actual places, like buildings aren't. And there are a few hand-made location as well.
After all this years i still find new stuff. Some was in game for years, it's not only new stuff added later. And what you can find is great, it's not just amount.
Other titles i considered: Underrail, Fallout 2, Arcanum

2) Setting/ambience;
Darklands
Realistic(-ish), late medieval, Holy Roman Empire. Combined with magic and wonders and fantastic creatures blending into the "realistic" parts in a brilliant way. And sometimes the dark (in a good way!) atmosphere. This isn't your so called "medieval fantasy" - it is actually medieval with some fantasy instead.
I wan't a sequel/game closely inspired by - but only if it is a good one.
Other titles i considered: Fallout 1, Jagged Alliance 2, Arcanum, Cataclysm, Planescape: Torment

3) Tactical combat;
Knights of the Chalice 2
I won't consider Battle Brothers as CRPG for this thread - it is a borderline case and it would be too easy.
This means it's either KotC 2 or Jagged Alliance 2 and after long debate with myself i choose the former.
Great AI. Good variety of enemies. Great encounter design. Good variety of battles, big and small, "linear" and not. Tactical combat is simply great. Give me good exploration on top of combat and it would be a serious contender for best CRPG.

Need to think more about it. For now let's say Pathfinder: Kingmaker, simply because it the most varied D&D(-like) system and there aren't that much better ones out there. I am not convinced with my ownm choice here.
Titles under consideration: Underrail, P:K, ToEE, Tome4, Darklands
If "creation" would be separated from "progression" then Darklands might have won. However it's not the case.

Well, C&C are, in most parts, FAKE. That includes the Codex darlings, Fallout, Arcanum and so on. There almost no major reactivity, ever, in crpgs. It is mostly small, relatively non-important stuff if at all. All the actual reactions of the world at your actions happen after the game has already ended in ways of those silly end game sliders.
The above means it is more about reactivity. I'll go with Damned Registrations on that. It's probably a RL(-ish) game and since i didn't play Nethack a lot it have to be Cataclysm again.
Other titles considered: Nethack, Age of Decadence (i suppose this one is the least fake of the fakes).

How would i know, I don't play those, i never liked them very much and i physically can't play them these days. Daggerfall i suppose, because it is one of the very few i played more than a few hours and liked.

7) Itemization;
Baldur's Gate 2
Not totally convinced with my own choice here. Again. However BG2 had a lot of unique magic items, some of them with interesting powers.
Other titles considered: Arcanum - unfortunately many of the base systems of the game were broken. Additionally combat and combat encounters were so poorly designed that the items, although fun and creative, were mostly useless - as most of them were combat oriented. Beautifully drawn too. If quality of graphics counts here Arcanum > BG2.
Other contenders: Cataclysm (again); many D&D-based games, old and new, tend to have above average itemization.

8) Narrative/Story.
Yes, and storyfags are ghey.

However a good narrative can ADD to the experience. I have trouble about the naming here. "Story" is pretty straightforward. "Narrative" is not. Does it include quality of writing? I assume so. Can a game have good narrative but no/weak/unimportant story? I liked the narrative of Darklands but it didn't have any story per se. Even the biggest quest wasn't that.
Planescape: Torment
But only because it has both the story AND decent narrative. If they were separated, it could only gain the "story" part.

I don't care much about story in computer games other than telling me why i have to become a murder hobo this time. I like the game to have decent writing though.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
However a good narrative can ADD to the experience. I have trouble about the naming here. "Story" is pretty straightforward. "Narrative" is not. Does it include quality of writing? I assume so. Can a game have good narrative but no/weak/unimportant story? I liked the narrative of Darklands but it didn't have any story per se. Even the biggest quest wasn't that.
Yes, it includes, and you there isnt an RPG with both. Still waiting for a game that has both great narrative AND story.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
1) Exploration; Exile 3
A lot of games do dungeons well, but Exile 3 is one of the few games that does overworld exploration really well too.

2) Setting/ambience; Morrowind
At first I gave this to Bloodnet, since that just absolutely nails a cyberpunk vibe, but to me Morrowind gives you a better look at it's setting rather than just a brief glimpse that Bloodnet does.

3) Tactical combat; Jagged Alliance 2
Do I need to explain this one?

4) Character creation/progression; Might and Magic VI
Starts you off quite simply, but gives you the potential to make unstoppable juggernauts.

5) Reactivity/Choice & Consequence; Alpha Protocol
Nothing else has gotten close.

6) Best system/mechanics in action-based RPGs; Dungeon Master
Between the magic and the general combat, DM set a standard that no game seems to be able to meet.

7) Itemization; Jagged Alliance 2
Customization is appreciated, and not those systems where you get the Flaming Sword of Nirvana or whatever.

8) Narrative/Story. Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines
This one works on many levels, on the surface and with subtle stuff you might not get right away.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

1) Exploration;

2) Setting/ambience;

3) Tactical combat;

7) Itemization;

8) Narrative/Story.

Have fun and fire on.
1) Morrowind
2) Morrowind
3) Knights of the Chalice 2
4) Daggerfall
5) Arcanum
6) Gothic
7) Morrowind
8) Planescape Torment

The Jester

Cipher
1) Exploration; Vagrus

2) Setting/ambience; Bloodlines, Arcanum

3) Tactical combat; JA2

4) Character creation/progression; Troubleshooter/Pathfinders

5) Reactivity/Choice & Consequence; Age of Decadence/Arcanum

6) Best system/mechanics in action-based RPGs; If it's action based then it's not an RPG

7) Itemization; JA2

8) Narrative/Story; Who cares, storyfags are ghey
  1. Exploration
    • Dungeon Master
  2. Setting/ambience
    • The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
  3. Tactical combat
    • Gold Box games
  4. Character creation/progression
    • The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
  5. Reactivity/Choice & Consequence
    • Fallout
  6. Best system/mechanics in action-based RPGs
    • Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
  7. Itemization
    • Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss
  8. Narrative/Story

Narrative/Story : Planescape : Torment
Other categories don't matter.
:positive::smug::mca:

Fink

Educated
1) Exploration - Gothic II

2) Setting/ambience - Bloodlines

3) Tactical combat - Knights of the Chalice

4) Character creation/progression - Temple of Elemental Evil

5) Reactivity/Choice & Consequence - New Vegas

6) Best system/mechanics in action-based RPGs - Dark Souls

7) Itemization - The Witcher

8) Narrative/Story - Torment

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom