Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Lumpy

Arcane
No, Binary really is a dumbshit.

Lingwe

Liturgist
Granted, I don't, but someone that says "pong is turn based" HAS to be teasing

When you aren't hitting the ball back to your opponent's side you aren't doing anything, hence pong is turn-based <- Playcircus logic.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Summer said:
I registered while playing Morrowind. I was looking for that damn puzzle box like a million other folks. After I found it I stayed and helped the next million folks find that puzzle box and guide them in the right direction.

Haha, so she belongs to the idiot crowd who can't find anything without a compass, too.

Ratty

Scholar
Amasius said:
Oblivion is a nonlinear game, but it's impossible to railroad the main story (or the guild questlines) more than Oblivion does.
You know, I don't even get how Oblivion can pass for a non-linear game. If we define a non-linear story as one that branches at least once and then examine Oblivion's main plot and guild quests as individual stories, it's obvious that hardly any of them branch at any point and therefore can't be considered non-linear. Furthermore, all of these stories are completely self-contained and parallelisable, i.e. the order in which they are completed is irrelevant, so there isn't any branching potential there, either. Since independent linear stories don't constitute a non-linear game, Oblivion can't be considered non-linear, can it?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Ratty said:
Amasius said:
Oblivion is a nonlinear game, but it's impossible to railroad the main story (or the guild questlines) more than Oblivion does.
You know, I don't even get how Oblivion can pass for a non-linear game. If we define a non-linear story as one that branches at least once and then examine Oblivion's main plot and guild quests as individual stories, it's obvious that hardly any of them branch at any point and therefore can't be considered non-linear. Furthermore, all of these stories are completely self-contained and parallelisable, i.e. the order in which they are completed is irrelevant, so there isn't any branching potential there, either. Since independent linear stories don't constitute a non-linear game, Oblivion can't be considered non-linear, can it?

It's "non-linear" in respect to being able to go where you want and when you want. The mainstream idea of non-linearity, so to say.

Deleted member 7219

JarlFrank said:
Summer said:
I registered while playing Morrowind. I was looking for that damn puzzle box like a million other folks. After I found it I stayed and helped the next million folks find that puzzle box and guide them in the right direction.

Haha, so she belongs to the idiot crowd who can't find anything without a compass, too.

Yeah. Summer is a fucking moron.

Morrowind gets too much flak from people who are just too stupid to follow a set of written instructions.

DraQ

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
Summer said:

Jesus fucking christ! How can one fail to find the puzzle box? It isn't even hidden.

I'm always amazed when yet another "I cnat find teh puzzelbox halp!1" thread surfaces on TESF.

Ratty said:
Amasius said:
*nods in agreement*

Lumpy

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
Summer said:

No, dumbshit, that box was very hard to find.

Lumpy

Arcane
DraQ said:
JarlFrank said:
Summer said:

Jesus fucking christ! How can one fail to find the puzzle box? It isn't even hidden.

I'm always amazed when yet another "I cnat find teh puzzelbox halp!1" thread surfaces on TESF.
It's easy to miss the staircase that leads to the room with the puzzlebox. If you got lucky and noticed it immediately, good for you.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Back in the olden days, Lumpy, when you miss something in a dungeon, you search it again, inch for inch, by good light, bumping into every wall to check if it is illusionary.

DraQ

Arcane
Lumpy said:
It's easy to miss the staircase that leads to the room with the puzzlebox. If you got lucky and noticed it immediately, good for you.
Not really. I simply pay attention to the environment.

Jasede said:
Back in the olden days, Lumpy, when you miss something in a dungeon, you search it again, inch for inch, by good light, bumping into every wall to check if it is illusionary.
Aha.
*nod*

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hey, you had to do that in Wizardry 1-5 to actually get anywhere at all, mapping the game on graph paper as you go.

And it was fun! You felt like a real explorer! I still have my Wizardry maps...

DraQ

Arcane
Jasede said:
Hey, you had to do that in Wizardry 1-5 to actually get anywhere at all, mapping the game on graph paper as you go.

And it was fun! You felt like a real explorer! I still have my Wizardry maps...
And those of us, who (like me) haven't played the earlier Wizardry games had the taste of it in the form of retro dungeons in W8.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Jasede said:

Indeed. Damn, those were the days when games were still "adventures" and didn't tell you everything right away. Still, I liked the invention of the automap, as I'm too lazy to draw everything on a piece of paper. Also, that piece of paper might get lost and then you're there without a map, argh!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
You know, from all the mapping I developed a sort of "map sense"; I can play all those old games without consulting my maps, even if I haven't played them before. I just kinda draw one in my memory. All those hours drawing maps were not in vain after all!

I agree that an automap is a nice feature, I was just telling the kids tales of olden days. But you are right about the "adventure" part. Nobody told you where to go and what to do. It was just you, a notebook where you write down clues and your brain. Older games had tough puzzles, cryptograms, riddles... I miss that a lot. I am SO happy I never played Might and Magic before; I am REALLY enjoying my trip. Currently finishing 1 and importing characters to 2. Can't wait to play 3 with its fantastic interface, or the nearly endlessly huge 4 & 5 [Worlds of Xeen].

Deleted member 7219

I'm playing about an hour of Wizardry 8 a day. I can't play any more than that, because I find the dungeon crawling so incredibly tiresome. I'm still in the first dungeon and can't find a way out, all the doors I find require special keys to open.

DraQ

Arcane
Matt7895 said:
I'm playing about an hour of Wizardry 8 a day. I can't play any more than that, because I find the dungeon crawling so incredibly tiresome. I'm still in the first dungeon and can't find a way out, all the doors I find require special keys to open.
Wait, where exactly art thou?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Hey Matt, don't play older games if you have trouble leaving the monastary in Wiz 8.

Why not?

Well, look:

map7crypt3.gif

map7crypt4.gif

Most numbers are teleporters.

larpingdude14

Scholar
people plz stop hating summer and playcircus. summer is the best moderator I have ever seen and circus is is a great person to be around and an overall smart guy. (OK, i admit that he has some weird ideas)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom