Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
95977681.jpg

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
sH9Nb.jpg

jWS4U.jpg

coXTX.jpg

g9GcX.jpg

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Dragon- ... 024-1.html

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Dragon- ... 838-1.html

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Dragon- ... 659-1.html

"I am a game developer, and I'm going to explain to the masses of /gaming/ why the state of gaming is as such"
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments ... xplain_to/

DRM exists because people pirate games. I'm sorry if that answer upsets you or in turn causes you to pirate more games, but that's the way it is. As developers, we would rather DRM didn't exist because it's an extra hurdle to get through before a game can be released. I've spoken to others in the industry, and it's a foregone conclusion that we are moving towards a cloud based system where very little of the game will reside on your hard drive. Retail stores used to fight this idea, but with how PC game sales are trending towards digital distribution, it's really not a question of if but when.

The only reason why you see certain members of the industry speak out in favor of piracy, is they are trying to gain popularity and encourage you to buy their game. It's the same reason why musicians do it, and the same reason why certain actors/actresses defend their work being downloaded illegally.

You are correct in assuming that most DLC is created before the game is finished. More often than not, we are approached 50-60 percent into the development cycle of a game and asked how we want to handle content post production. This has become more and more common the last five-six years, and it is a direct result of several evolving changes in the industry.

To be blunt, you can blame Gamestop and other retail stores that encourage buying used games more than new ones. Someone is less likely to sell back their title if they know more content is on the way, and with the fact that some games now can be finished in a day playing time, we have to move fast with DLC announcements.

Yes, you are caught in a bit of a war between distributors and publishers. I'm sorry.

Pre-Order bonuses have been ramping up in popularity because they work rather well.

DLC promises and Pre Order bonuses increase sales. Again, I'm sorry if those facts upset you, but we aren't an industry of upholding some false ethical code. Over the last several years, the consumer has eaten up both of these business practices and shown us that we can and will benefit from using them.

From a thread on /v/

stop acting like Nintendo is doing us all a favor by releasing a game. It's their business.
But that's exactly what they're doing.

Unless you're an entitled shithead fucking child, you'll appreciate anything Nintendo puts out, and you'll have the sense not to complain about it.

If you focus, you can hear a sound. It goes like...slurp slurp slurp

Deleted member 7219

Sometimes when people play dress up, it looks fucking GOOD. Case in point:

2006062763_bcb9e56ab0_z.jpg

However, this isn't good costuming at all. It looks like she's wearing felt, you know, the kind of costume you'd put on a 3-year old so he can run around in it and not hurt himself with it.

sgc_meltdown said:

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Sometimes when people play dress up, it looks fucking GOOD. Case in point:
There's difference in buying already made tropper suit or making your own larp clothes with accessories make-up and stuff. Most of larpers look idiotic because they have no practical skills.

Fat chicks look bad with or without those larp things anyway.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
1. Gender / class selection screen
She could immedietly choose what gender she wanted to play, but she wasn't certain about her class. Now, this is pretty unavoidable per se, but since I've heard devs comment that the first Varric exaggeration part of the game is supposed to double as some kind of "try your stuff out" part, it'd be awesome if the game reassured her that she could pick any and then try a new one at a later time. Cassandra could call bullcrap several times as Varric went, for instance, thus allowing her to play multiple classes.

2. Dialogue wheel tones
She didn't feel these icons were explained well enough. She did comment on how wonderful the wheel design itself was (drawing some parallels to some linux guru who had talked about how all PC menus should be of "pie" design instead of lists, in the process), but the icons weren't always obvious. Some were, some weren't. So every now and then she'd have to stop to ask me about how things worked. This was especially true for Investigate lines.

3. Character creation after being introduced to Hawke
As much as she was growing to like her character, she couldn't bear herself to change Hawke's looks since she had gotten used to the original design already. In a way, I guess this isn't a problem. But I know this girl likes dressup, she spent more time designing her Mii on my Wii last year than I did - and I'm notoriously picky and slow with those things =)

Had Hawke's default look simply been the default look and not thrown into her face in the beginning, she would likely have ventured into the CC which would also quite likely have endeared her to character even further. Playing with a look you've designed yourself is a strong "interest hook" in itself (heck I'd know, I bought Minecraft more or less only to be able to play with a skin I made once).

4. Lore and term bomb
I remember feeling I could ask about a lot of terms I already knew well enough when I started DA2, but she didn't feel the same way. Ostagar? Ferelden? The Blight? Lothering? An archdemon? Templars, and what have they got against mages? There were a -lot- of questions she needed me to answer to feel she had an idea what was going on. Reading up on pages worth of codex entries isn't something a new player wants to do.

I'm not saying the script shouldn't include these things until later - far from it - but more care should be taken to allow new players to Investigate to learn about all these things so they can understand the world around them.

5. Equipment management
Simply put, equipment management needs to be simplified somehow. I'm not saying change the entire system cause that'd just make the rest of us angry. But we've got a perfectly functional (at least for Casual difficulty and that's all that matters) Auto-Level feature for Attributes and Abilities.

Similarly, an "Optimise Equipment" button would do a lot of good on the inventory screen. How about when you press that button, you can choose to optimise only for your currently selected character, your current party, or your entire party, in a dialogue option? This would allow new players like her to transition into the game faster to enjoy the plot line without having to deal with all those numbers - the numbers the rest of us love. The Optimise function could simply equip items based on Abilities the character has learnt ("two handed or sword&shield?") and the amount of Stars an item has - as much as we feel the stars don't work perfectly, they'd certainly work good enough for a player on Casual who just doesn't want to run around with level 1 gear the entire game.

---

These games aren't like Devil May Cry. The idea is that someone can choose to play on Casual and be capable of enjoying a great story line and role play without being challeneged very much game play-wise if they don't want to. It's the kind of game our mothers and people new to gaming could be able to enjoy. I say give them the option, as long as it doesn't detract from our experience =) I'm curious to see if my friend will want to continue playing DA2 or not the next time she comes over. She certainly seemed to enjoy herself overall even though she got stuck now and then ^^

:lol:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I agree. Every game should include auto-levelling, auto-optimizing equipment and characters capable of taking care of themselves in battle with their AI. All we would need then is popcorn and a comfy armchair.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah, I felt like I participated in the final battle for middle earth as I munched furiously at the pop corn and slurped hard on my cola.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Bioware is next in the line of hacker attacks!

http://kotaku.com/5812498/bioware-hacke ... ompromised
Yesterday (June 14), we learned that a hacker gained unauthorized access to the decade-old BioWare community server system associated with the Neverwinter Nights forums. We immediately took appropriate steps to protect our consumers' data and launched an ongoing evaluation of the seriousness of the breach. We have determined that no credit card data was compromised, nor did we ever have or store sensitive data like social security numbers. However hackers may have obtained information such as user account names and passwords, email addresses, and birth dates of approximately 18,000 accounts—a very small percentage of total users. We have emailed those whose accounts may have been compromised and either disabled their accounts or reset their EA Account passwords. If you did not receive an email from us, or if your password still works for your EA account, your username and password were not compromised. Nevertheless, changing your password regularly is always helpful to protect your account.

We take the security of your information very seriously and regret any inconvenience this may have caused you. If your username, email address and/or password on the Neverwinter Nights forums are similar to those you use on other sites, we recommend changing your password at those sites as well. We advise all of our fans to always be aware of any suspicious emails or account activity and report any suspicious emails and account activity to Customer Support at 1-866-543-5435.

At least they do a better job than Sony at security.

Kraszu

Prophet
DArtagnan said:
Just don't scale anything - and let the player discover what's doable at what time.

lostforever said:
I am not sure that will work in a sandbox game though. I still want the main villain (or something like that) to be hard fight regardless of my level. So you do need some sort of level scaling here because the dev can't predict what level the player will be when you get to the big boss.

To me nothing is more anti climatic than push over fight at the end since it makes all the levelling up, acquiring gear sort of meaningless.

Damn that level scaled boss is so tough it is good that I had leveled so much before fighting him.

http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13966

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
How do you make it simpler than "bigger numbers good, smaller numbers bad"?

Better equipment than what you're using - :)
Not better - :(
Best equipment you'll ever find no need to check it again - :D

Then just add a large 'Automatically manage equipment' button that greys the inventory screen out and gives you the best shit always for gamers who are new to inventory features.

The depth of old school games like dragon age origins is retained for hardcore gamers who can choose to equip the :( face equipment and give themselves a challenge.

learn to innovate faget HUEHUAHUEHUHAUHUAHUEUHEHUHE

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I would laugh if I didn't know Laidlaw was looking at your post and taking notes for DA3.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
And what's with all these jarring text in dialog choices? You already have icons for the different paths a conversation can take, more than that will just clutter up the interface. Just add a magnifying glass icon out of the way in the corner for hardcore roleplayers who want to explore the story instead of Investigate. Dialog wheel? ICON wheel.

That way conversation choices can be selected quickly in a natural way just like how a player learns which section of the quickpowers menu in prototype is the one for whipsaw arm. Do you see people stop and read text for their dialog in real life or movies? By the time you've decided what to say you won't remember what you're responding to! What kind of game design is that? Almost 30 years of rpgs and still we have a long way to go to make dialog truly cinematic.

Of course, there should be a 'Automatically manage conversations' button where you choose the kind of character you are and the dialog between characters will happen in a natural and realistic way without needing you to manage responses.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
This one is for new vegas or mass effect fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_tjeaj7qsM

http://store.steampowered.com/news/5682/=?

The Razer Hydra motion sensing controller is now available for purchase and shipping via Steam in the United States.

Extend your natural body motion directly into the game and interact with the virtual world in complete three dimensions, as you would in real life.

The Razer Hydra comes bundled exclusively with a copy of Portal 2 and comes with the Portal 2 Sixense Motion Pack DLC. Play Portal 2 like never before with the detailed object manipulation only available with the Razer Hydra. Plus, the Motion Pack includes a set of 10 custom single-player Portal 2 maps that can only be solved with true six degree-of-freedom.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
sgc_meltdown said:
And what's with all these jarring text in dialog choices? You already have icons for the different paths a conversation can take, more than that will just clutter up the interface. Just add a magnifying glass icon out of the way in the corner for hardcore roleplayers who want to explore the story instead of Investigate. Dialog wheel? ICON wheel.

That way conversation choices can be selected quickly in a natural way just like how a player learns which section of the quickpowers menu in prototype is the one for whipsaw arm. Do you see people stop and read text for their dialog in real life or movies? By the time you've decided what to say you won't remember what you're responding to! What kind of game design is that? Almost 30 years of rpgs and still we have a long way to go to make dialog truly cinematic.

Of course, there should be a 'Automatically manage conversations' button where you choose the kind of character you are and the dialog between characters will happen in a natural and realistic way without needing you to manage responses.

I swear the god, if developers all start implementing this I will personally find you, drag you out by the river, and cap one in your fucking head.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
DragoFireheart said:
sgc_meltdown said:

I swear the god, if developers all start implementing this I will personally find you, drag you out by the river, and cap one in your fucking head.

Its not a suggestion (though it makes for a hilarious caricature of console gamers), its an educated prediction as to where the developers will be heading next. It will come to this, its just a matter of when.

Deleted member 7219

DragoFireheart said:
sgc_meltdown said:

Kind of like Rasputin, then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom