Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
DragoFireheart said:
Qg2Zk.jpg

And why are gamers still having to manage their attacks in RPGs when RTS games have implemented attack-move and automatic abilities already? The game should micromanage the skills and cinematically resolve the combat for you so you can worry about the important details like the overall strategic picture, same as the civilisation games.

Following the logical progression of modern games to be more accessible yet just as deep, combat commands should be trickled down to

Left mouseclick on party member - heal, on enemy - damage
Right mouseclick on party member - buff, on enemy - debuff

The longer you hold upon clicking means the more important that command is and the more people will respond to it. In a large fight there are many combinations of these commands that can be happening at one time and each situachoses to do.

But of course, that is for hardcore old school players only. Gamers who aren't used to rpg combat can just choose from the onscreen Tactics Triangle (Offensive, Defensive, Stealthy) to select the entire strategy for their party instead of the previously mentioned micromanagement! Typically the first option (offensive) is the most effective but there are situations where the other two will give you achievements and better loot. Helpful popups will tell you when these encounters occur so you will be aware of your choice of combat paths instead of having to guess what the options really mean.

oldmansavage

Educated
CappenVarra said:
1. Gender / class selection screen
She could immedietly choose what gender she wanted to play, but she wasn't certain about her class. Now, this is pretty unavoidable per se, but since I've heard devs comment that the first Varric exaggeration part of the game is supposed to double as some kind of "try your stuff out" part, it'd be awesome if the game reassured her that she could pick any and then try a new one at a later time. Cassandra could call bullcrap several times as Varric went, for instance, thus allowing her to play multiple classes.

2. Dialogue wheel tones
She didn't feel these icons were explained well enough. She did comment on how wonderful the wheel design itself was (drawing some parallels to some linux guru who had talked about how all PC menus should be of "pie" design instead of lists, in the process), but the icons weren't always obvious. Some were, some weren't. So every now and then she'd have to stop to ask me about how things worked. This was especially true for Investigate lines.

3. Character creation after being introduced to Hawke
As much as she was growing to like her character, she couldn't bear herself to change Hawke's looks since she had gotten used to the original design already. In a way, I guess this isn't a problem. But I know this girl likes dressup, she spent more time designing her Mii on my Wii last year than I did - and I'm notoriously picky and slow with those things =)

Had Hawke's default look simply been the default look and not thrown into her face in the beginning, she would likely have ventured into the CC which would also quite likely have endeared her to character even further. Playing with a look you've designed yourself is a strong "interest hook" in itself (heck I'd know, I bought Minecraft more or less only to be able to play with a skin I made once).

4. Lore and term bomb
I remember feeling I could ask about a lot of terms I already knew well enough when I started DA2, but she didn't feel the same way. Ostagar? Ferelden? The Blight? Lothering? An archdemon? Templars, and what have they got against mages? There were a -lot- of questions she needed me to answer to feel she had an idea what was going on. Reading up on pages worth of codex entries isn't something a new player wants to do.

I'm not saying the script shouldn't include these things until later - far from it - but more care should be taken to allow new players to Investigate to learn about all these things so they can understand the world around them.

5. Equipment management
Simply put, equipment management needs to be simplified somehow. I'm not saying change the entire system cause that'd just make the rest of us angry. But we've got a perfectly functional (at least for Casual difficulty and that's all that matters) Auto-Level feature for Attributes and Abilities.

Similarly, an "Optimise Equipment" button would do a lot of good on the inventory screen. How about when you press that button, you can choose to optimise only for your currently selected character, your current party, or your entire party, in a dialogue option? This would allow new players like her to transition into the game faster to enjoy the plot line without having to deal with all those numbers - the numbers the rest of us love. The Optimise function could simply equip items based on Abilities the character has learnt ("two handed or sword&shield?") and the amount of Stars an item has - as much as we feel the stars don't work perfectly, they'd certainly work good enough for a player on Casual who just doesn't want to run around with level 1 gear the entire game.

---

These games aren't like Devil May Cry. The idea is that someone can choose to play on Casual and be capable of enjoying a great story line and role play without being challeneged very much game play-wise if they don't want to. It's the kind of game our mothers and people new to gaming could be able to enjoy. I say give them the option, as long as it doesn't detract from our experience =) I'm curious to see if my friend will want to continue playing DA2 or not the next time she comes over. She certainly seemed to enjoy herself overall even though she got stuck now and then ^^

:lol:

After spending some time on the bio boards I can say that most of those posters want a fag dating sim or an interactive movie that is lite on the interactivity. A truly awful group of "gamers". How one cannot understand the very basics of equipment management is beyond ridiculous. And if they don't understand they should go play their wii or other console device instead of wanting something further stripped of its RPG elements as if DA:2 wasn't stripped enough.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=1 ... #msg942791

Whining? Did you get Kreia confused with Carth or something?
What else do you call it when she never does anything? She doesn't go back and try to fix what she thinks you did wrong. She just sits there constantly whining that you should of done something else. Nevermind that the game doesn't give you any options that she'd find acceptable. Carth is indeed a super whiner but he is in fact not as bad as Kreia because he has a line you can cross and he'll actually try to back up his words.

Luzur

Good Sir
Sceptic said:
I would laugh if I didn't know Laidlaw was looking at your post and taking notes for DA3.

no one on the Codex will buy DA3 anyway, so he can take all the notes he want.

right guys?

guys?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Guys, I've been looking for a thread to admit that I have purchased

Dragon Age: Origins
Dragon Age: Origins - Awakenings
Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition
Dragon Age: II
Dragon Age: II - Paul Atreides
Dragon Age: II - Dog DLC
Dragon Age: II - Alternate Appearance Pack 1

:smug:

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
You could have pirated all that stuff and donated the money to the codex instead. Or to a horse retirement farm.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Andyman Messiah said:
Guys, I've been looking for a thread to admit that I have purchased

Dragon Age: Origins
Dragon Age: Origins - Awakenings
Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition
Dragon Age: II
Dragon Age: II - Paul Atreides
Dragon Age: II - Dog DLC
Dragon Age: II - Alternate Appearance Pack 1

:smug:

Time to ship you to the glue factory!

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
The Exiled Prince DLC is basically a patch that make the ending cutscenes 1% better as well as giving you a new companion that can't be romanced (so there's incline right there). I expect there will be plenty more DLCs like that.

AND I WILL PAY MONEYS FOR THEM ALL! :D

You're all jealous that I am a wonderhorse that get BioWare glorious innovation and you're little bastards whom the big companies have forgotten all about.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
They can just make animal dlc and have every employee's pets voice act for a pack of dog biscuits. cheaper and cuter, i bet.

Just make the animals have plot or something.
Dog brought up by mage, mage got sent to the circle. Etc. Reunite the dog with love and understanding, making Kirkwall a warmer, lovelier place with the bonding between man's best friend and its master. They had that going between Anders and his cat, so why not again?

Come, experience the bond today with the latest Dragon Age 2 Epic DLC: Mage's Best Friend.

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
I'm getting a creepy vibe from that, considering the direction Bioware took regarding romances.

Dragon Age 2: Knotted Knights DLC :?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Andyman Messiah said:
The Exiled Prince DLC is basically a patch that make the ending cutscenes 1% better as well as giving you a new companion that can't be romanced (so there's incline right there).

I thought he can be romanced, you just can't bang him and you have to be a chick (Bioware is breaking new ground with that one).

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Mastermind said:
Andyman Messiah said:
The Exiled Prince DLC is basically a patch that make the ending cutscenes 1% better as well as giving you a new companion that can't be romanced (so there's incline right there).

I thought he can be romanced, you just can't bang him and you have to be a chick (Bioware is breaking new ground with that one).
Well, I'm not a BioWare fanboy so I don't know these things.

Man, now I have to play DA2 again! :smug:

Black

Arcane
Luzur said:
Sceptic said:
I would laugh if I didn't know Laidlaw was looking at your post and taking notes for DA3.

right guys?

guys?

Crispy will.
God damn whore son.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
sgc_meltdown said:
I remember when cavedog was giving out free units for total annihilation to download

A new unit every week, 40-something in total.

Today, they'd have been sold as DLC for $2-5 a pop.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Luzur said:
Sceptic said:

right guys?

guys?
I, sure as hell, won't.*

*At least until I can get it below $10.

Regdar

Arcane
MicoSelva said:
At least until I can get it below $10.

Actually, depending on your bandwidth costs... :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom