Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

VWr6I.gif

edit: fuck, this isn't the GIF thread. JAESUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN plz move

DraQ

Arcane
http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/04/23/s...by-its-complexity-says-blacklist-studio-head/

Splinter Cell’s popularity is held back by its complexity, says Blacklist studio head

37 Comments
Phil Savage at 03:39pm April 23 2013

Splinter Cell: Conviction may have starred a more action-heavy version of Sam Fisher than was seen in his Third Echelon days, but – even with its lighter, more fluid stealth systems – Ubisoft’s Jade Raymond thinks its complexity has still had an effect on the series’ appeal. Speaking to Eurogamer, the Ubisoft Toronto managing director said the games’ comparative difficulty has made them less popular to modern audiences.
“One of the things that held it back is despite all of the changes that have happened over the years, it’s still one of the more complex and difficult games to play,” Raymond said. “Even though we do have core fans who are like, ‘Oh, I want to have more of this experience,’ when you play any other game that has stealth elements, they’re all a lot more forgiving than Splinter Cell.
“I guess Splinter Cell stayed with the most pure approach to that stealth experience.”
Raymond points to the “planning” phase of the game – the moment before entering a room where you’re forced to assess the situation. “You’ve got to spend some time thinking, right, so where are the guys positioned? How will I get through here? Where’s cover? How do I hide? Okay, I’m going to shoot out those lights. ‘This is my strategy’ is an important first phase.
“By default there aren’t many games where that’s the phase. Most games you can walk in and you start shooting right away, or you just walk in and you improvise as you go along.”
Despite this, Raymond isn’t advocating any further simplification with the upcoming Blacklist. Instead, Ubisoft Toronto are focusing on choice. “In this game we do have a broader range of play styles possible than ever before,” she said.
“We brought back the purest hardcore version, which is, you want to ghost through the level and get through it without killing a single person. Every single thing you want to do you can do in a non-lethal way. That requires the most planning and being the most strategic.”
For further challenge, you can even ghost through levels in Perfectionist mode – which removes features like Mark and Execute. “That’s for those who want to plan it out and feel really smart, and, ‘I’m going to use the Sticky Cam with the Sleeping Gas and them I’m going to whistle and the guy’s going to come,’ and do the full set-up.”
Jon Blyth came away from his hands-on time with Blacklist’s Perfectionist mode convinced of it’s Splinter Cell heritage, saying: “This isn’t a dumbing down of Splinter Cell – it’s taking the slick style of Conviction and bringing it back into official ghost ops.” You can read his full preview here.
For more from Raymond, check out Eurogamer’s full interview.
:hero:
Wonder if she actually believes all that.
:hmmm:

Guys, doeas any of you often have this feeling where you want pretty much everyone else to die horribly right fucking now?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No comment: http://gamasutra.com/blogs/Christia...rge_Kamitani_and_being_stupid_on_Facebook.php

So George Kamitani, the artist behind Dragon's Crown, stuck his foot in his mouth and said something really stupid on Facebook.

So let me explain what he said and why, why it was stupid, and why I'm offended. I lashed out on Twitter, and I think that my response, while genuine, was also rather perplexing to some people. But that's Twitter for you: its immediacy means that you get a realtime feed of thoughts and feelings as they happen.

Kotaku's Jason Schreier took George Kamitani to task for the character designs in Dragon's Crown, an upcoming game Kamitani's studio, Vanillaware, is developing for Atlus. Many of characters are incredibly over-the-top women in ridiculous states of undress.

misog9.jpg
Aside: What bugs me -- maybe not Schreier, as I didn't read his original blog post -- is not so much their bodies as their FACES. With the Amazon, that pretty, petite face stuck on that massive body -- it's surreal and it cements the reality that the male gaze is at play here.

All the same, the art is so over-the-top that it comes across as ridiculous (to me, at any rate) and hyperstylized. As someone pointed out to me on Twitter, it's a riff on the Boris Vallejo style fantasy novel cover: Barbarian women in bikinis. The effect is so strange that I actually don't find it all that offensive. But I can totally understand why people do, and I certainly wouldn't tell them not to. Especially today...

Kamitani responded to Schreier like this:
Screen_Shot_2013-04-23_at_11.30.40_AM_copy.jpg

If you can't read the caption, it says: "It seems that Mr. Jason Schreier of Kotaku is pleased also with neither sorceress nor amazon. The art of the direction which he likes was prepared."
Now, let me address what's going on here.

This is casual homophobia. What Kamitani is saying is "if you don't think my characters are sexy, check out these dudes." Yes, it's pretty tame, but it's still damaging, and I'll explain why.

First, yes -- it's not intended to hurt anyone's feelings, but that's the problem with it. If the person who makes the joke assumes that it doesn't hurt anybody, it's because he's assuming that nobody who might conceivably be hurt by it is paying attention. Either he thinks Dragon's Crown isn't for them, or he thinks they don't like video games, or that they don't even exist -- who knows what?

Second: Being gay is a punchline. This is lazy humor. Lindy West writes about this really intelligently a lot (I'd go find her posts on this for you, but I'm too busy to do it and she's too great, so just strap in and take a spin through her writing yourself.) Lazy people make gay jokes, because they know they can get a laugh with no effort.

Third: The picture is of large, muscular, bearded guys. Gross, right? Who could be sexually attracted to that? Well, me, for starters. While the actual picture in question doesn't do it for me, that's broadly the type of guy I like. So now I feel stupid because George Kamitani thinks this is ridiculous.

So here's where I'm at when I see his comment. Normal morning, and then suddenly, I find out that the creator of a game I'm looking forward to thinks I'm invisible to him, then that I'm ridiculous to him, too. And my immediate reaction is to feel betrayed.

I feel betrayed specifically because of the game that this is, and who this creator is.

Dragon's Crown is a niche game. All of Vanillaware's games are. When Odin Sphere appeared I was floored -- so floored that, in my previous life as a consumer-focused game journalist, I grossly overrated it simply because of what it represented: beautiful 2D art and complicated action-RPG gameplay. It pushed my buttons, and I wanted to reward it, whatever deficiencies it might actually have.

And with that game, I became a fan of Vanillaware. Over the years, I've really been pulling for this studio -- the underdog. As Dragon's Crown began to attract negative attention for its character designs, I stayed out of it, because I just am so happy that the studio even exists that I don't want to jinx it.

There are not a lot of studios pushing the art of 2D graphics like Vanillaware is. Barely anyone is producing high-resolution 2D games anymore, and Kamitani, while idiosyncratic, is also incredibly talented. It's a niche that I am ecstatic to see filled.

And then this. I'm hurt because I feel that Kamitani played me for a fool.

He didn't, of course. He doesn't even know I exist; he doesn't know anything about me. In fact, his comments rather suggest that, don't they? If Kamitani knew he had gay fans, he probably wouldn't say things like that. That's the point.

So, no: What Kamitani said wasn't tantamount to true, virulent, Proposition 8-style homophobia -- the kind that knows I exist and is determined to make it as difficult as possible for me to do so. The kind that in fact is deliberately designed to negate me.

It's just an offhand remark -- it's even ambiguous enough that I had to explain why it was anti-gay to people on Twitter (which is partially what inspired this blog post.)

Am I overreacting, though? Whenever this topic comes up, people good naturedly suggest that -- and, in my view, that's adding insult to injury. It wasn't that bad, was it? Well, sure -- if it doesn't affect you, it isn't that bad.

At my heart I'm just a gay dork who likes video games way too much, and on that level -- that's where it stings. Not the journalist, of course. Not the professional. Not the guy who knows that things are changing in the real world day by day.

But I'm a gay nerd. For Kamitani, that's apparently half okay and half impossible. And you don't want the people you respect to negate you. It's that simple.

To turn it back to "Gamasutra material," so to speak, I'd just urge developers out there who are speaking publicly to not forget that just because you don't know somebody exists, whatever their gender, race, sexuality, religion, ability -- however they might differ from you or from your conception of your audience -- doesn't mean they don't. And they might like your games. So be thoughtful and respectful.

It's that simple.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
To be fair, that Amazon pic does look fucking ridiculous, but in a ha-ha kind of way, not in a 'let's make a giant fuss over this because lolsensation' kind of way.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Fuck man, tried to rage but i coudn't. Somebody plz rage about this article for me.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
and it cements the reality that the male gaze is at play here.

Jesus fuck, get the fuck out. When the hell did this shit start? Why did nobody cared until some time ago and now it's fucking everywhere? Who's responsible for this?

To turn it back to "Gamasutra material," so to speak, I'd just urge developers out there who are speaking publicly to not forget that just because you don't know somebody exists, whatever their gender, race, sexuality, religion, ability -- however they might differ from you or from your conception of your audience -- doesn't mean they don't. And they might like your games. So be thoughtful and respectful.

Yes, before doing anything you have to check each and every little group of people and document what offends them and what not. Fuck creating what you want. It's all about not offending some random retards now.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Aside: What bugs me -- maybe not Schreier, as I didn't read his original blog post -- is not so much their bodies as their FACES. With the Amazon, that pretty, petite face stuck on that massive body -- it's surreal and it cements the reality that the male gaze is at play here.
That's just the style.
20kpz6.jpg

Borelli

Arcane
That style is retarded. Those proportions ... should be raging about that not about male gaze or whatever.

Delterius

Arcane
That style is retarded. Those proportions ... should be raging about that not about male gaze or whatever.

Call it whatever you want, bad creations deserve scrutiny. If you genuinely believe that gaming press care too much about 'gender activism' (and let me tell you that the Second Best Thread ever is the largest propaganda for gender inclusion ever compiled) and if you genuinely believe in artistic freedom, then you're devaluing your rage by caring for anyone in that story, the artist included and bolded.

Hellraiser

Arcane
While these retarded faggots bitch about inanity, CISPA gets approved.

Look on the bright side, when we'll be all hiding in the most remote areas we can find in a bunker packed full of rice and canned baby meat, they'll be the ones breaking their backs in the melonhead mines and quarries for over 18 hours each day, until they die from exhaustion within a month. To their cranially-superior masters they'll be all equally objectified as the worthless sapiens slaves they are. Start packing the rice, the spear-chucking assmonkeys are near the end of their line. Better jump of that train before it reaches ITZ station.

:M

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
This is what the artist was responding to:
9949z9.jpg

I'd say that the response is about equivalent in maturity.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
It's just an offhand remark -- it's even ambiguous enough that I had to explain why it was anti-gay to people on Twitter (which is partially what inspired this blog post.)

A natural-born reeducation officer, this one.

Jashiin

Arcane
This is what the artist was responding to:
9949z9.jpg

I'd say that the response is about equivalent in maturity.

If that's a 14 year old's work, then this motherfucker hasn't even left the womb. :x

That lying deluded corporate dick slurping fuckhead, creating issues and taking a moral high ground for CLICKS n HITS, cause that's he ALL cares about. That no talent, tunnelvisioned, creatively bankrupt stain of the purest mediocrity this planet has ever seen, would have been shot in the face at birth, by any sane parent who has even the slightest talent at judging character.

Teenagers cheap?? Yeah. you would know... sick fuck.

Fuck man, tried to rage but i coudn't. Somebody plz rage about this article for me.

You're welcome :thumbsup:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom