Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The lifetime sales of Deus Ex in 2009 were a little over a million. I doubt it's significantly increased since then.
GOG release and Steam might increase the sales significantly.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Eh? He doesn't seem to understand that a 'game' is a combination of audio, video and text data with input from the user, that is why it has bigger potential than say, books, graphic novels, etc.
Except that it doesn't, especially when the medium is utilized by cretins who do not care about making games but solely about expressing themselves "creatively".

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
He's right that game's audience is still too naive and easily amused, as if anything made in game form has more value... but he fails to see that is due the desperate need for respect and affirmation that gamers feel, that pathetic need to prove to everyone that "games are art", that is a relevant & mature media and all that. Some people are desperate in need of tags to define them, to differenciate them, and they get very butthurt that (suprise!) no one gives a fuck them when they define thenselves as G4M3RZ!... apart from the people making loads of money from exploiting them, of course.

Is all in the audience, I never saw anyone in the Codex saying "PS:T is ART!" or some shit like that, because we're cool with seeing games as games, not as a "ground-breaking medium of the new millenia that changed my life and Roger Ebert should say it's art so I could feel proud of quoting Mass Effect at my uncle's funeral".

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The funny thing is that games used to be more genuinely artful before all those hipsters started claiming that games are art.
And none of those fags even know about those older games.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Coming out as a crypto-hipster, DramaticPopcorn? How shameful.

Honestly though, what the man says is basically "Not everything works equally well in every medium, so you don't need to make everything into a game just to earn hipster-cred from your peers.". I struggle to understand what it is about this simple message that makes you so butthurt.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Eh? He doesn't seem to understand that a 'game' is a combination of audio, video and text data with input from the user, that is why it has bigger potential than say, books, graphic novels, etc.
His points is that books already have infinite potential, infinite - 10 is still infinite.

His points is that books already have infinite potential, infinite - 10 is still infinite.

That's not how math actually works though. Games would have more dimensions of infinite, so we have infinity^x vs infinity, which has an infinity^(x-1) gap between them.

Liberal Arts majors trying to use math to make arguments sound less like hot air, yet the math neither relates to their arguments nor is actually true.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You autists realize he wasn't trying to do a mathematical proof was just making a point that books already have unlimited potential so it doesn't matter how much more potential video games have?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
You autists realize he wasn't trying to do a mathematical proof was just making a point that books already have unlimited potential so it doesn't matter how much more potential video games have?
Books can't have game-level interactivity, therefore their potential isn't unlimited.

DraQ

Arcane
Ok. I've read the whole thing and the guy has some points. For example I can agree with:
Some people make games because they want to express things that they think need to be expressed through systems of play or interactivity or ritual or whatnot.

This is a good reason.

Some people make games because they grew up with games and always saw themselves as the kind of person who would one day make games.
I don't think this is a very good reason. I think it's arbitrarily limiting, but a lot of people I know fall into this category.

And I definitely agree with summarizing most of curent hipster indie trash as "creatively bankrupt assholes".

This doesn't change the fact that the whole beginning was excessively douchy and ultimately unneeded.
And videogames are, at least technically, a very interesting medium for two simple reasons:
-they are new and still relatively untapped
-they offer unprecedented interactivity while also allowing for creative control by setting the rules.

Games can potentially become ultimate what-if exploratory vehicles.

Declinator

Arbiter
Books can't have game-level interactivity, therefore their potential isn't unlimited.

And there are things that games can't have (or can only have severely hampered). For example if a game started suddenly explaining what the character is thinking (eg. via a voice-over or text) it would be jarring and annoying whereas in a novel it is perfectly natural. Also, I doubt video games can ever possibly beat movies when it comes to pacing or purity.
There is no media that has "infinite potential". Perhaps more fruitful would be to discuss which has the most untapped potential but the answer would obviously be video games due to the short while they have been around.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
And there are things that games can't have (or can only have severely hampered). For example if a game started suddenly explaining what the character is thinking (eg. via a voice-over or text) it would be jarring and annoying whereas in a novel it is perfectly natural.
I'm pretty sure I saw it in at least two games and it wasn't jarring. I think one such game was some detective adventure game and the other was the fucking Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain.

tuluse

Arcane
And there are things that games can't have (or can only have severely hampered). For example if a game started suddenly explaining what the character is thinking (eg. via a voice-over or text) it would be jarring and annoying whereas in a novel it is perfectly natural. Also, I doubt video games can ever possibly beat movies when it comes to pacing or purity.
There is no media that has "infinite potential". Perhaps more fruitful would be to discuss which has the most untapped potential but the answer would obviously be video games due to the short while they have been around.
Or all mediums have unlimited potential, but cover different aspects.

Gelbvieh

Educated
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
Fingerpainting seems pretty limi-

Amazing-Finger-Painting-19.jpg

11577_613994748627916_1347178117_n.png

damn.

In many cases the very limitations of a medium will stimulate creativity.

:excellent:

Now i.e. our photography technology is better than ever. And what? There weren't that many horribad, shameless photographies before as there are now; people suddenly think having a reflex camera equals appropriately good photo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom