Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best thread ever.

Solik

Scholar
Because he's Dave Chappelle.

Nael

Arcane
Section8 said:
Fucking hell, why do I do it? Visiting the Elder Scrolls forums is probably the most depressing thing a person can do, but I'm like a fucking rubbernecker.

Drooling fanboys falling over themselves to give Bethesda even more money

Shouldn't mods be an incentive to buy the game? Something like - "Wow, look at the great support the developers are offering us! Free content! It seems as though they care about supporting their loyal fans, even after the game purchase has been finalised!"

But no, the ESF consensus is "let's pay for the game, and then pay for stuff that should have been in the game!"

Fuck.

I loved this quote from that thread (It's too bad it's closed now):

Plus, if they plan on selling them, that means they plan on putting a good deal of work into them and they can do things that modders simply can't, so I think they will be well worth the money.

Like what...? Giving Argonians/Khajiit human hands or maybe hookin up elves with schweet lookin mullets? Give me a damn break. Morrowind was practically redeveloped by the independant modders, and all Bethsoft ever gave us was an "epic quest" vs some regular old skeletons and a tavern "enhancement" mod that consisted of a couple new topics added to publicans.

They can do things that modders simply can't is damn right... charge for their work. :roll:

Lumpy

Arcane
Section8 said:
Fucking hell, why do I do it? Visiting the Elder Scrolls forums is probably the most depressing thing a person can do, but I'm like a fucking rubbernecker.

Drooling fanboys falling over themselves to give Bethesda even more money

Shouldn't mods be an incentive to buy the game? Something like - "Wow, look at the great support the developers are offering us! Free content! It seems as though they care about supporting their loyal fans, even after the game purchase has been finalised!"

But no, the ESF consensus is "let's pay for the game, and then pay for stuff that should have been in the game!"

Fuck.
Consensus my ass. Look at the polls, 90% of the community is AGAINST paying for mods.

Section8

Cipher
Consensus my ass. Look at the polls, 90% of the community is AGAINST paying for mods.

Like this one where 46% would prefer to pay for mods (with no measure of how many in the other 54% would actually pay for them despite prefering freebies)

Or this one, entitled "Paying for mods!?!?!?! Yes Please!"

[edit] Or this one

I'm not seeing these 90% against polls.

And, all these people are trying to believe that Bethesda are some fucking struggling company and the developers wont be able to feed their kids unless they charge for mods.

Lumpy

Arcane
Section8 said:

Like this one where 46% would prefer to pay for mods (with no measure of how many in the other 54% would actually pay for them despite prefering freebies)

Or this one, entitled "Paying for mods!?!?!?! Yes Please!"

[edit] Or this one

I'm not seeing these 90% against polls.

And, all these people are trying to believe that Bethesda are some fucking struggling company and the developers wont be able to feed their kids unless they charge for mods.
I see. Well, things changed. When paying for mods was first announced, 90% of us were against it. The poll you posted here also said "Better quality mods vs. Free mods", implying that buyable mods are also better, which is not necessary.
Also, I see no problem with non-free mods, as long as they have the same price/content ratio as the game. So, if a mod that costs 5$ adds 20 hours of gameplay, 15 quests, maybe a new faction, several weapons, maybe some new landmass, it's a fair price. However, since I don't have a credit card, I won't be able to buy them anyway. So I'll probably download the mods, if that will be possible, if they are needed for many mods.

Solik

Scholar
I wouldn't buy mods unless it added new core functionality to the game (new skills / weapon types, mounted combat, etc). And "mod" isn't really the right word for that, since it'd have to be a patch.

Levski 1912

Scholar
Solik said:
I wouldn't buy mods unless it added new core functionality to the game (new skills / weapon types, mounted combat, etc). And "mod" isn't really the right word for that, since it'd have to be a patch.
Why the fuck would you pay for patches? That's the most asinine statement I've seen in a while. After all, I have yet to see a game where you pay for patches (except for MMOs, but those don't count here).

Section8

Cipher
I see. Well, things changed. When paying for mods was first announced, 90% of us were against it. The poll you posted here also said "Better quality mods vs. Free mods", implying that buyable mods are also better, which is not necessary.

Yeah, it's a bit erroneous, since we have no idea what the quality will be like. But...

Todd Howard said:
One of the first mods we’re offering is horse armor: We have horses you can ride around on in the game and we had this idea kind of late in the process—wouldn’t it be cool if you could buy armor for your horse?

First of all, what the fuck kind of mod is that? It's pretty pointless, especially since:

Desslock said:
One not on horses which I haven't mentioned - if you're on them and fighting, they are basically not considered part of the fight (i.e. can't be hit), but if you get off your horse, it can (and will) be attacked -- at one point I got off my horse, and a nearby wolf attacked the horse. The horse kicked its butt, by the way.

So horse armour only matters if you leave it to get attacked by something while you're not riding it. Otherwise, it's purely cosmetic.

Oh and then there's "holidays" as the other official mod that has been mentioned. Whoop-dee-fucking-doo. Now, maybe Bethesda will charge 10 cents a pop for these trivial additions, but I think it's more likely that they'll be about $5 instead.

Now as everyone over there loves to point out, Bethesda are a business, and they do everything they do in the name of cash, so do you think it's likely they see selling these tiny incremental additions as a more profitable venture than saving it for an expansion pack down the track?

And yet the slavering masses on the ESF are just gobbling this all down. "Oh please Bethesda, patronise us some more! Treat us like dirty consumer whores! Let us be your unquestioning vacant bitches! We will swallow anything you give us!"

Fanboyism aside, it's gotten to the point where if I ever buy Oblivion, it will be second hand, because Bethesda as a company are cunts, and I don't want them to have my money.

Solik

Scholar
Levski 1912 said:
Why the fuck would you pay for patches? That's the most asinine statement I've seen in a while. After all, I have yet to see a game where you pay for patches (except for MMOs, but those don't count here).
This is what happens when you see a word and instantly provide a knee-jerk reaction without bothering to comprehend what the person was even saying. I've noticed you're pretty good at that.

By "patch" I was not referring to a bugfix, or something that corrects a bad feature to make the game more playable (like, say, an improved journal). I meant new content that could not be delivered in standard mods because additional code was required to support it. Think expansion packs, but smaller in focus (and in price).

Abernathy

Scholar
Shades of The Sims - it took a few years before I cottoned on to the fact that Maxis were screwing their customers with all the 'expansion packs', but it finally sunk in. Okay, so I'm thick, I even bought Sims 2.

But no more. Basically, Bethesda can fuck off if they're gonna try selling mods - it's lousy PR and it undermines the mod community as well. Not that I was intending to buy Oblivion anyway, Morrowind was bad enough. If I'm going to throw money at anyone, it'll be Indie developers who need the dosh, not fucktards like Bethesda or Maxis whose sole aim is to milk us dumb fucks for every cent they can get...

Mech

Cipher
Abernathy said:
Shades of The Sims - it took a few years before I cottoned on to the fact that Maxis were screwing their customers with all the 'expansion packs', but it finally sunk in. Okay, so I'm thick, I even bought Sims 2.

But no more. Basically, Bethesda can fuck off if they're gonna try selling mods - it's lousy PR and it undermines the mod community as well. Not that I was intending to buy Oblivion anyway, Morrowind was bad enough. If I'm going to throw money at anyone, it'll be Indie developers who need the dosh, not fucktards like Bethesda or Maxis whose sole aim is to milk us dumb fucks for every cent they can get...

K

Lumpy

Arcane
My fear is, that mods will be way overpriced. Horse armor as part of an expansion wouldn't cost more than .50, but stand alone, it will probably cost 3 or 4$. And they won't be releasing the mods on CD-s either, so anyone who doesn't have an internet credit card is screwed, or forced to download the mods.
How much were Tribunal and Bloodmoon when they were released?

franc kaos

Liturgist
Solik said:
By "patch" I was not referring to a bugfix, or something that corrects a bad feature to make the game more playable (like, say, an improved journal). I meant new content that could not be delivered in standard mods because additional code was required to support it. Think expansion packs, but smaller in focus (and in price).

Is that not, in actual fact, an expansion pack? and as such should be called that, as mod is defined, (by me) as MODifying the existing engine to add things. If you've access to the code you're no longer modding, but programming.

None of the freebie official mods for MW did that.

I love your line about correcting bad features (like, say, levitation with new anims, thrown objects do harm, crossbows, staves, moveable large furniture, creation of traps ingame, deformable landscape, extra skills, mounted combat, werewolves, nine divines, etc etc etc).

Abernathy

Scholar
They just can't DO that! Fuck's sake, let the modders mod what's there already and let the developers EARN their bit by creating more 'engine' for the fans to work with!

I'm starting to get really pissed with this kind of thing, what started out as a really nice relationship beween developers and fans gets hijacked by the suits and turned into just another profit machine? Do these people actually give a shit about gaming, really?

No, they don't. All they care about is the bottom line, they don't give a shit about anything else, they'll serve us whatever crap we'll buy and they'll squeeze us for every cent they can get. Fuck them.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Lumpy said:
A bit expensive - I bought each one for $20-25 (can't remember now) when I was still under the spell of MW.

dongle

Scholar
Lumpy said:
My fear is, that mods will be way overpriced. Horse armor as part of an expansion wouldn't cost more than .50, but stand alone, it will probably cost 3 or 4$.
Pete made an allusion to them costing as much as a burger and fries. My guess would be $5 US.

Lumpy said:
Same as a full-priced PC game I think?

dongle

Scholar
Elwro said:
Well, they were definitely cheaper than Morrowind itself, which was a "full-priced PC game".
Maybe I'm wrong then. Pretty sure I paid more than $20 US tho.

Lumpy

Arcane
20$? That sounds outrageous, since they together weren't half as big as Morrowind, yet they did cost more.

dongle

Scholar
Lumpy said:
20$? That sounds outrageous, since they together weren't half as big as Morrowind, yet they did cost more.
OK, so current retail list-price on Amazon is MW==$24.99, TB==$19.99, & BM==$19.99. I want to say when they were new it was MW==$50, TB==$40, & BM==$40? Talking full retail here, not what you actually pay.

Lumpy

Arcane
dongle said:
Lumpy said:
OK, so current retail list-price on Amazon is MW==$24.99, TB==$19.99, & BM==$19.99. I want to say when they were new it was MW==$50, TB==$40, & BM==$40? Talking full retail here, not what you actually pay.
I don't get it. They're charging 50$ for a whole game, with the engine, 10+ towns, 10+ factions, and 40$ for one extra city?

dongle

Scholar
Lumpy said:
I don't get it. They're charging 50$ for a whole game, with the engine, 10+ towns, 10+ factions, and 40$ for one extra city?
It comes in a really cool box. . . .

Stella Brando

Arcane
When I went shopping for Morrowind add-ons, it cost less for the MW/Trib/BM 3-pack than it did to buy the two expansion packs seperately.

So now I'm the proud owner of not one BUT TWO copies of Morrowind, the greatest gaem ever made!!!!11!1!!1!11

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom