Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best thread ever.

Chefe

Erudite
Maybe they could just have it so the game automatically zaps you around every place with the words "Quest Completed" popping up every few seconds. No user input required!

Sabregirl

Scholar
Chefe said:
Maybe they could just have it so the game automatically zaps you around every place with the words "Quest Completed" popping up every few seconds. No user input required!

Nah you gotta leave a few mintues for "picking up armor and watching it fall realistically" then zap them to the next "quest". Obviously all the books in the game should be replaced with FMV sequences . . . to minimize boredom.

-S

Lumpy

Arcane
Some others even suggested having movies for books. To get read of that messy "listening", I suppose.

Section8

Cipher
But what about the messy "viewing"? I have faith that Bethesda can implant memories of the game in our head because they are DEVs and DEVelopers can do anything.

Lumpy

Arcane
Section8 said:
But what about the messy "viewing"? I have faith that Bethesda can implant memories of the game in our head because they are DEVs and DEVelopers can do anything.
Messy "thinking"? Probably the messiest thing for some of those people.

Chefe

Erudite
HardCode said:
OMFG!!! A mostly intelligent post at the TES Forum ... and one that brings up a good subject, too! Still, a presence of I-WANT-IT-ALL munckin tards, but a good thread nonetheless.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... pic=223106

Yea, every once in a blue moon a good idea comes up, but it's soon drowned out by the endless noise of the fools. Not to mention something like an identify spell or intelligence check would completely go against Bethesda's target market: children with ADHD, under the age of 14, illiterate, and easily dissuaded by anything with more depth than Pong.

Lumpy

Arcane
takes away from the game to play w/out violence.

this is america (at least where i am) and violence is a must in an rpg in my opinion. the option would be neat i just dont know how many people would want to do a completely nonviolence approach

maybe this would be a good poll question
that is like buying a first person shooter and then complaining "cant we all just be friends".

there is diplomacy, if you insult someone they wont like you and if you compliment them they will like you.

but diplomacy to avoid combat? nah

Chefe

Erudite
I refuse to believe those are either quotes made up by you or deliberate prank accounts. No one, and I mean NO ONE, is that stupid. I refuse to believe it.

Chefe

Erudite
No. They're prank accounts. I refuse to believe humanity has stooped this low. I will not believe it.

Section8

Cipher
Yea, every once in a blue moon a good idea comes up, but it's soon drowned out by the endless noise of the fools. Not to mention something like an identify spell or intelligence check would completely go against Bethesda's target market: children with ADHD, under the age of 14, illiterate, and easily dissuaded by anything with more depth than Pong.

I've also noticed that well thought out arguments are the best way to make a thread die. I check every now and then and read what looks like a decent thread, and there's usually great wailing and gnashing of teeth until the thoughtful posters spell out their argument in simpler terms, and then silence.

Well not quite silence. More like a barrage of gibbering to drown out the constructive criticism in a sea of useless threads.

No. They're prank accounts. I refuse to believe humanity has stooped this low. I will not believe it.

As confronting and vitriolic as the Codex can be, we actually have a fairly sheltered little existence here.

Imbecile

Arbiter
Section8 said:
I've also noticed that well thought out arguments are the best way to make a thread die. I check every now and then and read what looks like a decent thread, and there's usually great wailing and gnashing of teeth until the thoughtful posters spell out their argument in simpler terms, and then silence.

Its kind of inevitable, most long threads result from arguing/ debating/ masturbating over a disputed issue. If something is well explained, and mostly agreed upon then the thread'll just die. Its sad since it basically means that all the crap floats, and the good stuff sinks without a trace.

dongle

Scholar
My personal favorite is the "Will my computer run Oblivion?" series.

Despite the first post spelling out in excruciating detail what comprises a state-of-the-art rig today, and the mods deleting/banning any OT posters or jokers, and it being blindingly obvious that the game is -still- being optimized and no one -knows- what it'll take to run it yet, still the happy morons post away. About what, I don't know. It's a question with no answer. They lock threads at 200 posts there now. We hit 100 "official" WMCRO? threads today.

Think about that for a second. 20,000 useless posts. . . .

Balor

Arcane

franc kaos

Liturgist

Balor

Arcane
Btw, I find RPGays a great substitute for 'Action-RPGs'. Shorter, and make more sense.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Balor said:
An other contribution:
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... 106&st=20#
Diablo (2) dosen´t count as an RPG according to my standards. But you have apoint there.
Your a fool nuff said and by your standards your a [censored] too

You can always trust TES forums to have multide of hardcore RPG experts.
I mean, those to whom Diablo (2) is an epitome of RPGayness.

In the standard"shoot down a noob or TES fanboy" thread, you guys are no more verbose on your end than they on theirs. And at least insults over there are less homophobic (less colorful too, I must admit :) )

Data4

Arcane
GhanBuriGhan said:
Balor said:
An other contribution:
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... 106&st=20#
Diablo (2) dosen´t count as an RPG according to my standards. But you have apoint there.
Your a fool nuff said and by your standards your a [censored] too

You can always trust TES forums to have multide of hardcore RPG experts.
I mean, those to whom Diablo (2) is an epitome of RPGayness.

In the standard"shoot down a noob or TES fanboy" thread, you guys are no more verbose on your end than they on theirs. And at least insults over there are less homophobic (less colorful too, I must admit :) )

Yes, but all of that adds FLAVOR, man! FLAVOR. Otherwise, you're left with stale, PC-type bullshit such as that found... well, on the TES boards.

-D4

Lumpy

Arcane
Heaven forbid games be remotely based on player skill!

You might want to check out this game called Progress Quest. It's the only game in the world that is not, in any way, dependant upon the skill of the player. That's because it plays itself. Yes, no messy walking or clicking or putting effort into things to get in the way of character progress!

What do you want? TES: Character Manager? Maybe Bethesda should be making soccer management simulation games? Or maybe just a long sequence of cut-scenes with superficial dialogue choices that determine what the polygon puppets do next?

Solik

Scholar
kingcomrade said:
You are frickin kidding me.
That was me taunting Lumpy for an ineffective component in his argument. Surely the intelligent ones at the Codex can register humor.

Solik

Scholar
No. "It requires player skill." is not an effective argument. There has never been a "game" that did not require player skill outside of pure games of chance (which doesn't even include most gambling card games).

"This requires me to click fast instead of think and react or be in character" would be a more effective argument (even though it's based on the assumption that fast clicking would be necessary, which isn't exactly what was stated).

See, this is what happens when you jump on bandwagons without really knowing what's going on :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom