Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best thread ever.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Here we go again, the dumbest shit you've ever read on the internet, volume 4: Define RPG
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... 20222&st=0

I don't feel that in order for a game to be an RPG there has to be long deep backstories and multiple factions to join. I don't feel that adding great graphics or physics takes away the "RPGness" of the game. If it makes the immersion that much easier for me to play my character and really feel that I'm part of the world that my character is in, then it's making it more of a Role Playing experience for me... because I'm more immersed in the world, thus in my character.....

and I personally don't like to read lots of text when playing RPG's... I remember playing the old pen and paper games and wishing they could do all this in a video game.....
I think of a ROLE PLAYING game being one where you take up the lead of any character of your choosing and play with him/her in a fantasy environment.
Traditionally I think of RPGs as a character advancement style game. This means that the user plays a role that is determined by that user, and that character "grows" throughout the game. This character may be immersed in a fantasy, sci-fi, realistic, or any other such gameworld. What truly matters is that one plays a role that increases in aptitude as time goes on.
In my opinion RPGs are all about the story. The better the story the better the RPG.
RPG, to me, is a game where I take on the persona of someone else, like acting. However it also usually includes leveling up. I was flipping through my DM guide and found theat when characters level up in D&D, then it means that you have enough experiance to level up.
I think the problem is that RPG is an oxymoron. "Role Playing" implies a certain amount of freedom, but "Game" implies rules and boundaries. So an RPG is freedom within boundaries. That is where the problem lies. How much freedom and how many boundaries?
A role-playing game, for me, is an opportuntiy to take on the role of another person in another world, and is not defined by any of the other stereotype elements such as turn-based combat or leveling up. Role-playing is supposed to be about seeing things from a new point of view, and perhaps learning something profound.
And that's just page 1.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
In my opinion RPGs are all about the story. The better the story the better the RPG.
GRIM FANDAGO IS THE BESTEST RPG EVER!

FFS, Notepad might as well be the best RPG ever! No boundaries! True roleplaying! Only limited by your imagination/intellect!

Vault Dweller

Developer
For me, an rpg is a stat-based game. A very broad genre of games is included in this. Yes, I realized that rpg's are made for role-playing, but I don't find that interesting in least. I respect people who do, however (except the Rp'ers who think that they're "elite" or "hardcore" becuase they have a different playing style...)

...but yeah. If it involves stats, then I consider it an rpg.
So defining RPG as a setting where you can play a role and have an avatar showing you perform that role is basically it to me.
Well, I tend to go by what the game industry refers to as RPGs. I think it's counterintuitive to try and say some game I dislike isn't a "true rpg" when it says RPG right on the box.

csy

Novice
I'm amazed how you guys can keep reading that shitty forum. Care to elaborate what drives you forward?
I wouldn't mind learning how to put in use the 95% of internet that comprises of bullshit.

Data4

Arcane
csy said:
I'm amazed how you guys can keep reading that shitty forum. Care to elaborate what drives you forward?
I wouldn't mind learning how to put in use the 95% of internet that comprises of bullshit.

Comic relief. :D

-D4

Chefe

Erudite
csy said:

Hi, I'm Chefe.

Sabregirl

Scholar
Data4 said:

-D4

Some of the others weren't as much comic relief for me as depression for the entire human race. I know I shouldn't expect anything but I just keep hoping . . . that there's some sort of glimmer of intelligence . . . Arguing with moronic/pig headed people (especially when you can't call them such) ceases to be fun pretty quickly.

As my father always says, Ignorance can be cured but stupid is forever.

Here's another winner. A bit more on the funny side . . .

-S

Lumpy

Arcane
Role-playing is ment to make you feel your somewhere else, right? Now that we are on the same page, would you feel more like you were in a mystical world filled with evil if you could knock the plate off the table, or would you feel more like you were in it if the plate sat there.
:roll:

csy

Novice
Heh, ok then.
Yet, what strikes me here is the love-hate relationship towards that place. I mean, does your necroejaculation also include shed tears and senseless laughing?

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Sabregirl said:
Data4 said:

-D4

Some of the others weren't as much comic relief for me as depression for the entire human race. I know I shouldn't expect anything but I just keep hoping . . . that there's some sort of glimmer of intelligence . . . Arguing with moronic/pig headed people (especially when you can't call them such) ceases to be fun pretty quickly.

As my father always says, Ignorance can be cured but stupid is forever.

Here's another winner. A bit more on the funny side . . .

-S

I am still wondering if the topic starter isn't a Codexer in disguise, actually...

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I was flipping through my DM guide and found theat when characters level up in D&D, then it means that you have enough experiance to level up.
Damn, I always wanted to know why my character would sometimes suddenly have a "level up" tag on the screen. Now I know there's this hidden counter that calculates how long I've been playing or something. Or maybe it counts how much I "experience" the environment. I'm going to load up Fallout and start looking at all the objects so that my character is level 3 when I leave the vault cave
technically..... every video game is an RPG. you play the role of someone in every game, don't you?
Yeah. I wondered why they only called some games "RPGs" when they definitely all deserve the title. I mean, I'm role-playing a secret agent in Return to Castle Wolfenstein, I'm role-playing a slow-ass space marine with crappy weapons in Doom 3, I'm role-playing a sadistic pervert when I tie your mother to the bed and lash her. Why do they persist in putting games into any other category besides RPG? I have no idea! Hell, my life is an RPG, because I'm playing the role of me.

I am still wondering if the topic starter isn't a Codexer in disguise, actually...
Yeah, someone before mentioned when reality out-parodies the Codex. There have been a couple I've wondered about, but the rest is certainly genuine.

So, is it about Role Playing, multiplayer, scenario, or game mecanisms?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
If someone held a gun to my head and demanded that I state my personal definition of RPG
Sounds like an idle Codex daydream.

Codex Hive Warrior: What is an RPG?
Victim: It's a fantasy game where you go kill monsters and level up so that your character gets more powerful so your can do more quests.
Codex Hive Warrior: Wrong! *BLAM*

Vault Dweller

Developer
kingcomrade said:
I was flipping through my DM guide and found theat when characters level up in D&D, then it means that you have enough experiance to level up.
Damn, I always wanted to know why my character would sometimes suddenly have a "level up" tag on the screen.
I like how casually he mentioned that he has his DM guide.

Section8

Cipher
I bet the fucker doesn't have a T-Shirt that says "DUNGEON MASTER" though. The ladies love me when I wear mine.

HardCode

Erudite
LOL. Some kid posted a video of the illegal scans with Led Zepplin Immigrant Song playing in the background. The thread was gone in like 2 minutes.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Vincent242 said:
Vincent's story goes all the way back to his brith. You may ask... what's a Dark Elf named "Vincent" doing running amok? In actuality, he was named by a Breton. After his mother gave birth to him, she passed out for a few hours. Her best friend, Aden, had to take charge of his name. She named him "Vincent", because, being a Breton, she couldn't think of a Dark Elven Name. Only the name of a Breton! His family had no objections, fortunately.
From a young age, Vincent was trained by Aden in the art of magic, and and by Karrtas in combat with a Dai-Katana. He became quite the battlemage by age 12. People would come and see him perform his excellent skills in the town, while he swung his sword swiftly, casting spells at one of Drarayne Thelas' many spare pillows. But always, she would come running out screaming that she still needed the pillow. Vincent hated that woman.
But he did not hate Balmora. He loved it there, and unfortunately, due to an increase in Blight Storms, his family had to move to Cyrodiil, the capital city of Tamriel. The journey was arduous, and it was lucky Vincent had such skills, for now he could hunt skillfully, and light campfires with magic.
When they arrived in thier new home, there was much talk of the "Nerevarine", a legendary messiah in the Tribunal Temple, who had slain Dagoth Ur and stopped the Blight Storms. His father was angered at the fact he thought the whole journey was for nothing, but Ryfyl explained to him that if they'd stayed in Morrowind for one more day, they'd have all cought a Blight Disease.
Vincent grew to 18 years of age in Cyrodiil, continuing to train with a blade and magic, until one day, returning from outside the city gates (he was practicing), he happened upon a horrible sight. Someone had stolen his family's sacred ancestor statues from thier shrine! Vincent, furious, took his blade, and headed for the Thieves Guild hall, the place where he thought they would most likely be.
As he barged in, the Thieves had his statues. He started slaughtering them, fighting them one by one. Thieves had no power in close combat. But after he killed about five of them, one of the wood elves took the small wooden sculptures and tossed them into the fireplace, destroying them.
Vincents screams could be heard throughout the city, and the guards ran into the room, arresting both the Thief and Vincent.
Vincent was thrown in the Imperial Prison, and as he sat in the dark dungeon, his soul burned, and he was burdened by his sin... his innability to save his ancestors. He vowed to someday become strong enough, and start a new bloodline for his family, and new stronger, more revered bloodline. A bloodline that would go down in history forever.
As Vincent pondered one day, he heard footsteps approaching his cell...

csy

Novice
Wow, the source of R. Salvatores inspiration just dawned on me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom