Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best thread ever.

yipsl

Scholar
micmu said:
Proweler said:
b) he thinks that visuals and a more imersive world is more important than gameplay gimmicks, which does fit into most people's definition of a good game.
Care to explain what's a "gameplay gimmick" and what's the difference between achaic and "newage" definition of a CRPG?

Archaic = anything really good from the days when graphics could not distract from bad gameplay. (edited because I meant distract, actually bad gameplay detracts from good graphics)

Archaic RPGs: Arena and Daggerfall, Betrayal at Krondor, Darklands, Might and Magic series up to VII and maybe, just maybe VIII but excluding IX (even the graphics were bad in this game, so no distractions from the truth). Realms of Arkania trilogy and Wizardry series.

Newage RPG: Anything ported over from a console with slight graphics improvements with maybe an extra few hours of gameplay. Includes The Bard's Tale (new), KOTOR, Fable. Probably including codeveloped games that will basically appeal to console mainstreamers who think that Action RPG means Action with REALLY PRETTY GRAPHICS.

Middle Age RPG: RPG Lite or Action RPGs. Sometimes confused with NewAge RPGs Some reviewers mistakenly put Arena and Daggerfall into the Newage RPG category whereas Morrowind fit best.

Next Gen RPGs: RPGs coming out that will run as badly with the X1800XL or Geforce 7800GT, or on the Xbox 360 as Star Trek: The Next Generation series ran badly while built around the mainstream appeal of Wesley Crusher.

Next Gen games require technology from up to seven years in the future to run smoothly and conspiracy theorists aren't sure if they're poorly optimized, or are a behavioral experiment conducted by the CIA using recovered alien technology sent back in time from after the alien invasion in 2012. Some people mistakely categorize Daggerfall as a next gen game because it didn't run smoothly until the era of Pentium 166's and 64 meg video cards.

Micmu

Magister
Next Gen RPGs: RPGs coming out that will run as badly with the X1800XL or Geforce 7800GT, or on the Xbox 360 as Star Trek: The Next Generation series ran badly while built around the mainstream appeal of Wesley Crusher.
:lol:

Data4

Arcane
As a Nerd and/or Geek, depending on the vernacular, I love the hell out of that Star Trek reference. :D

-D4

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Stasko, that guy who has a habit of using capital letters a lot, made another thread creatively called OBLIVION GREAT THINGS!
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... pic=212921

What do you like about the new Elder scrolls game?

I like the folowing things!

-Radian AI
-Horse
-A pet
-Graphics
-The huge world Twice as big as Morrowind!!
-The tons of gameplay
-Own house
-Guilds
-Draw Distance
-50+ our of voice for the NPC'S
-and more but there is so much but these are the things i like a lot but there is still more i like!!
Quite a list. I like "the tons of gameplay" whatever that means.

Selenti

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Stasko, that guy who has a habit of using capital letters a lot, made another thread creatively called OBLIVION GREAT THINGS!
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... pic=212921

What do you like about the new Elder scrolls game?

I like the folowing things!

-Radian AI
-Horse
-A pet
-Graphics
-The huge world Twice as big as Morrowind!!
-The tons of gameplay
-Own house
-Guilds
-Draw Distance
-50+ our of voice for the NPC'S
-and more but there is so much but these are the things i like a lot but there is still more i like!!

It's a good thing they remembered graphics. I can't count how many RPGs forgot to include the visuals for the game and just had a big blank black space where the graphics should have been.

yipsl

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:

Tons of gameplay is what you get when you mix horses, RAI and Havok physics. It can take the place of levitate if you can stand the smell. All you have to do is kill an NPC and take his shovel. Then you stand behind a horse and wait long enough to pile it really high.

Finally you can climb to the tower that PC Gamer says you simply can't fly to. It helps to have Prince of Persia style Acrobatic perks for the final jump.

I was recently accused of being too critical on the official boards but I said the devs deserved some satire. Juvenalian or Horatian, I leave it up to everyone to decide for themselves.

Data4

Arcane
yipsl said:
I was recently accused of being too critical on the official boards but I said the devs deserved some satire. Juvenalian or Horatian, I leave it up to everyone to decide for themselves.

I wish, just once, that a dev-- any one of them-- would admit that the masses at the TES forum are freakishly cultic. You're absolutely right, Yipsl. Unfortunately, satire at the TES is taken as a direct assault on someone's dick, or so it would seem.

-D4

Proweler

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:

Fedex.

Data4 said:
yipsl said:

I wish, just once, that a dev-- any one of them-- would admit that the masses at the TES forum are freakishly cultic. You're absolutely right, Yipsl. Unfortunately, satire at the TES is taken as a direct assault on someone's dick, or so it would seem.

-D4

You Yipsl!? Damd. The guy probebly didn't know what satire was. ;)

Vault Dweller

Developer
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... pic=215897

correct me if i am wrong but in my humble opinion, online makes a game go from great to amazing. so why is this one not online!!!! right, i know bathesda wanted to keep it single player, and am totaly cool with that, but if/ when i get my character amazing, it will feel kind of hollow because i can show him off in front of people, or when i am losing focus on the game, a lvl 94 wont just pass me in the wilderness and inspire me to keep playing to be like that. lets take runescape, ok ok there are many people who do not like that game because it is very very very repetitive, and it is, but i get inspired to play it when i see this amazing armour walk do the road or a person talking about the battle with the king black dragon, for tes 5 i highly recomend online, even if it is a piece of crap, even if u can just put ur character on a site or sommat, plz jusst give us something, apart from that, great game you guys, well done, now [censored] give it to us.
Hilarious stuff

LlamaGod

Cipher
Elder Scrolls MMORPG

xbox's first MMORPG?

anyways, I think the "intelligence of" online gamers, TES fans and xbox fans all being in the same place could count as some type of military grade weapon

Find a bad guy and make him play it and bam, he's neutralized from the inside.

XBOXROX: hey
XBOXROX: he
XBOXROX: ware is the puzzel box
iheartimoen: i duno im still new
XBOXROX: fuken newbs
iheartimoen: do u haev ne golds

and while this is going on, someone is circle strafing and jumping around them

Vault Dweller

Developer
The retards are now discussing the need for physics in an RPG. The results so far are 345 votes for "YES! Give me more enemies being blown away by spells!" and 9 for "There is no need for a physics engine in an RPG"
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... e=show&st=

Actually, the absurd physics in MW did break the immersion a little for me. When you can can stack a full suit of armor on top of a bottle and keep stacking all the way to the ceiling, it sort of seems like a glitch.
Why would anyone try to do that in the first place?

Physics, for me, can make or break a game. A game where things move the way they should in real life would be more interesting, and make it a lot easier to convince my dad to lend me a few dollars for it.
Lend, huh? As if the dumb fucker ever pays back...

The lucky thing though, is anyone with a computer can mod in the nine divines if they want it badly enough. Physics would be nearly impossible for anyone other than the developers to put in the game.
Looks like the modding has become a convinient excuse for missing stuff. You want gameplay? Well, what are you waiting for? Mod it in!

Physics will affect everyone's game, no mater what type of character they play. Only crssbow users will miss crossbows.
We have a solid Bethesda developer material here.

I think most RPG-ers ( new word meaning those who play RPG's) play to live in a world where they couldn't and want to play a RPG that gives them the most realistic fantasy world possible. The next step to making a more realistic fantasy world form Morrowind to Oblivion would be a physics engine because of the new technology on computers and consoles.
That's just too fucked up to comment on.

I prefer physics. They should have them. The end result is pretty awesome and it adds so much to the game.
He definitely has a way with words.

It will make the game MUCH more emmersive.Remember in MW when you would cast a fireball in a house and NOTHING would even move!
Well in Oblivion it WILL!It makes you alot more emmersed to know that things will fall if you drop them in the air.
He tested that theory the hard way when he was dropped on his head at a very young age.

Dude... I don't think you understand. First of all, Oblivion is SUCH an RPG. It isn't as RPGish as Morrowind, in my opinion, but still. It's an RPG.
Second of all, physics is what seperates average games from awesome games, and normal RPGs from awesome RPGs ( No offense, Oblivion, I know you're going to rock no matter what biggrin.gif ).
Also, physics could be a strategy. If they worked the physics correctly, then you would be able to think of strategies, other than just CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK. Maybe if you had a sword, you could aim for the shoulder and knock them back, or hit them in the legs and trip 'em! That'd rock.
Oblivion's gonna' be awesome. Period. And anyone who contridicts what I have just said, you suck!
Physics is what makes games awesome. Gotcha!

And the best post of this thread is:
Why on Earth would you people rather have the "Nine Divines" rather a physics engine which finally pulls the characters down to earth literally. Morrowind was great, but jesus christ does it piss me off when a rat cant get off a rock! If you people would rather read tens of page of meaningless text about Nine Divines go read the history books in Morrowind. I'll keep my ragdolls and gravity thank you.

Sabregirl

Scholar
Foolish me for thinking there were at least a few brain cells left in the OB forum, okay well there's 10 so far.

Don't you know? Modding is ALWAYS the simple and easy excuse for anything missing in the game. "Don't worry mods will fix everything." :evil:

-S

Data4

Arcane
Sabregirl, I don't think I've ever played any of your mods, since I shelved MW years ago, but your attitude about all this gives me hope. PLEASE, PLEASE say you'll mod for Oblivion, since you seem to be one of the few who "get it".

I ask because, God help me, I AM going to buy Oblivion. If it doesn't live up to Petey's hype, I'm either going to have to learn to mod or rely on those hopeful few.

-D4

Vault Dweller

Developer
More quotes from the same thread, now it's 442 vs 14

there's no need for graphics either, all you need to play roll playing is a paper sheet or two and some book. What has physics or even graphics to do with RPG? It makes the game feel real, and that's the point with it, I mean why is it more fun to play morrowind for example than pen and paper-RPG? because you feel like you in the game.
Physics MAKE a good RPG. They make you feel like you're actually there, add to immersion, add to fun. One of the few things that impaired Half-Life was the way the slightest bump to a heavy crate made it go flying across the room. It just doesn't feel right.
And RPGs are not about the story or the role playing...
So you think that Bethesda sacrificed the a joinable Nine Divines faction for physics. I think they did it to have Patrick Stewart myself, but if you are correct I think it IS a worth while loss. Since the Nine Divines has no direct effect on gameplay, it simply adds one extra faction which Oblivion already has enough of. Physics on the other hand can. The possibilities of physics are far greater than being able to join a group of religious people.
the physics brings out the awsomeness in the RPG. its a good thing.

Zomg

Arbiter
I'm torn about physics systems in gaming. Part of me is annoyed at how,"Gee whiz!" the whole enterprise is, another stupid thing to waste time on, but on the other hand physics will, hopefully, eventually be robust enough to become a cornerstone of emergence-based gameplay.

Vault Dweller

Developer
If physics would truly bring awesomeness to RPGs as prophesied, then I don't mind.

Chefe

Erudite
There's no way those quotes can be true. No one can truly be that stupid.

Revasser

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
I argued a bit in that thread and got suspended. Can you believe that?

I can believe that. You were arguing with the morons, that's the equivalent of feeding the bears over there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom