Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best thread ever.

Section8

Cipher
Physics I throw into the same category as Radiant AI. It's a "simulation" aspect that provides a solid ruleset that should in theory lead to emergent behaviours. For instance, being able to make a spell that doesn't actually deal direct damage, but instead draws loose items in toward the target, is an interesting gameplay related use of physics. Same with paralysing a target and watching him topple down some stairs to his death.

But, first of all, it's not a global system. Swinging a sword won't use the same physics simulations to inflict damage, neither will shooting an arrow. And so as a "simulation" aspect, it's flawed.

Secondly, we have no idea whether or not it will have any real gameplay effect. It could be like countless other games that simulate the kinetic aspects, but don't account for a transferance of force in collisions. Likewise, with the paralysis example. We don't know if there's any Porrasturvat style damage calculation based on the physical simulation. Even the simplest of emergent dynamics may not be viable. Like using your characters raw strength to stack boxes in preference to climbing or flying over a wall. ;)

Thirdly, what relevance does it have to role-playing? It's probably going to be harmful to it, if anything. I'd think that if I threw a bottle at someone's face in real life, that would cause some hostility. And probably not from the victim, who lies bleeding, but from those who witnessed the act. Is it really going to help "t3h immershun!11!1"* to have realistic physics if none of the NPCs notice?

Not that my words here are going to educate anyone over there, but hey.

[edit] Oh noes, Vault Dweller! You called somebody stupid because they couldn't see an obvious point that was shown to them with black and white clarity, and they then went on to start another thread just to spout the same logical fallacy yet again, despite being proven wrong on many counts by the minority of folks capable of drawing meaningful conclusions based on logical facts...

* Please, for fuck's sake, stop using this word. It's meaning less and less every day.

Chefe

Erudite
micmu said:
You do realize that you're "arguing" with 12 year old kids? :lol:

Don't make fun of 12 year olds like that. I bet if they found out that you were grouping them in with those idiots they'd be pretty pissed off.

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
What previous RPG has used physics? Bloodlines? I just don't see the connection between physics and RPGs.

Section8

Cipher
Oh dear. Here's a serious comment made in defense of implementing Havok physics in Oblivion:

Anyway, its not like the devs said "well, we need to appeal to a larger audience, maybe draw some people in from the FPS crowd, so i tell you what. Scrap half the game and wack in a physics engine for the hell of it." I very much doubt the inclusion of physics will turn away people anyway.

AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAH
AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH
AHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH
HAHAHAHAH!!111!!!!1111!!!!!111!1!!!11!!1!!!!!

Anyone else get that? The irony? It's subtle, I know.

What previous RPG has used physics? Bloodlines? I just don't see the connection between physics and RPGs.

but it doesn't make teh gaem any worse either11!1!!!11 and DEVevlepors have unlimmitd resourreced so itt dasnt matte thta tiem was spent on physkis and not ting that cautually add 2 te gamee!!!!1 n00b.

My god. That thread has offended nearly every sensibility and principle I have.

[edit]

For the record, they did completely redo the dialogue. Now it's standard dialogue tree like the Bioware/Black Isle games.

If anyone came over here saying such things, I'd assume they were trolling and being very obvious and uninspired about it. But over there in whatever circle of hell Bethesda have carved out for themselves...

I'm dumbfounded.

Sabregirl

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
I argued a bit in that thread and got suspended. Can you believe that?
You just got warned didn't you? You don't show as banned. I guess you can't call anyone stupid over there.

And did you notice how much of the um, I-word there was, OY.
Yes, RPGs need to have a PERFECT and responsive representation of an alternate environment for one to be able to role play in it. Obviously.

Never mind the fact that you can't climb walls, thrown objects won't do any damage, horses are magical so you can't swing a sword from atop them and you as a mage are rooted to the ground. No, that won't break your *realistic* game at all. :roll:

@Data4- I think there's a 80-90% chance I'll get Oblivion eventually, whether that's the bargain bin or not is more the question. I still have modding plans for it although life may be *very* busy right around the time of release - trying to graduate from grad school and all. Firstly I want levitation back, so long as that's feasible - and I think there's a very good chance it will be then other things can and probably will follow. Of course I want some or all of my race mods along with more extreme balancing for the standard races - cuz it's only fun that way. You guys have inspired me to think about doing a main quest/faction repair for OB - assuming they will be as linear and choiceless as MW's. Bummer is it won't be any fun for *me* to play cuz I'll know what happens. :P

Section8- Sickening irony there . . .

edit - The stupidity is so overwhelming in that thread . . . I think if I reply, I'll be sure to earn a warning . . . Captain, rational arguments are having no effect . . .

-S

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Sabregirl said:
Vault Dweller said:
I argued a bit in that thread and got suspended. Can you believe that?
You just got warned didn't you? You don't show as banned. I guess you can't call anyone stupid over there.
When I try to log in, I'm informed that I had been a bad boy, and that my account is suspended for a few days. Oh well...

Data4

Arcane
Sabregirl said:
... You guys have inspired me to think about doing a main quest/faction repair for OB - assuming they will be as linear and choiceless as MW's. Bummer is it won't be any fun for *me* to play cuz I'll know what happens. :P

If you do, you'll be my hero. Yeah, that's one reason why I never really got into modding. I'm pretty selfish, and if it didn't please me, what's the point? ;)

edit - The stupidity is so overwhelming in that thread . . . I think if I reply, I'll be sure to earn a warning . . . Captain, rational arguments are having no effect . . .

-S

Sometimes you have remove yourself from the cesspool before you realize it stinks, because you can go to places like... oh... the Codex and see a larger proportion of intelligent people among the posters. What cracks me up is a lot of the ESF drones will wander over here, and the only thing they seem to take back to the ESF is "OMG! They sure do say 'fuck' alot over there!" :D

-D4

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Holy crap, the thread's so pathethic. Sadly, it seems that all VD's efforts were in vain. Myself, I feel a worse man after reading the thread; I don't know how would it feel if I posted in it.

And yeah, VD alluded that he thought some of the posters there were stupid. Good they didn't ban his sorry ass for that! :shock:

Master Thief

Scholar
Ok thats it.

If I had any doubts that the average Oblivion fan is a complete moron, this erased the doubts from my mind...

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... 19737&st=0

So, you want to join every guild in the game? Max every stat. Play as a fighter/mage/thief/assassin?

God Damn Morons

By the way, no one has told me to eat shit and die. Do you guys not love me or something?

Levski 1912

Scholar
This is odd- you can become a walking god, yet you still can't levitate or fight from atop a horse? Every cavalry nation in human history is laughing right now.

Human Shield

Augur
Levski 1912 said:
This is odd- you can become a walking god, yet you still can't levitate or fight from atop a horse? Every cavalry nation in human history is laughing right now.

The PC is the leader of every cavalry nation.

Lumpy

Arcane
But what would be the point of making an entirely new game if only to make improvements to morrowind?
No. Oblivion is an entirely new game. What you are asking for is an expansion to Morrowind. Something like Bloodmoon, with more factions, more character choices, new quests and so on. Without a visual upgrade there is no point to Oblivion.
= Graphicz improvements are t3h roxxorz, RPG improvements are pointless.

Also:
As a matter of fact, a new Religious faction will probably be pretty easy to add to Oblivion as well. So what you're asking for is that the Devs leave the new improved physics out of the game in favor of a faction which you can easliy add yourself. It makes no sense.

The point is, that we already have RPGs with lots of quests, factions and RP value. They simply have bad graphics and no physics. Oblivion will be changing that. If you want more quests and factions.... Mod it in.

Micmu

Magister
Poor little kids still don't realize that OB doesn't have the "bestest" graphics in an RPG either.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I'm pretty sure that Oblivion will be a landmark in the RPG-World for a loooooong time. Elder Scrolls is the only open-ended and free-roaming series out there, and also the most immersive series I've played up to date, anyway

These people are so articulate:
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Lumpy

Arcane
I can play any number of games that have a good storyline, some so good ive played them 4-5 times (BG1 all the way through ToB for instance), but im getting this one for the graphics, everything else is secondary to me. I got daggerfall because it allowed me to go anywhere, and see some cool sights and thats why im getting Oblivion.

somnium

Scholar
i wrote this

so a black and white world is more intersting than a complete world with conflicting different opnions and beliefs,and so letting the player decide who and what is right ?

and this is his response

bryce777

Erudite
Well, one thing is that programming resources and dialog should not be conflicting with each other. that seems pretty stupid to me. Unless it's the case they paid some ungodly amount of money for this physics thingie.

For a company as big as bethesda, the pay of a programmer is pretty negligible compared to the size of the project,a nd I doubt they had to haev a prrogrammer just for physics.

His statement is wacky fro so many reasons....

nakanja

Novice
Bosco said:
That is not a real quote.
I saw it. Based on the sentences after it, I believe the poster was attempting to say that RPGs shouldn't restrict themselves to *just* features that further story and roleplaying, but worded it poorly. Not quite as bad as it looks, but real.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom