Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best thread ever.

Chefe

Erudite
Naked_Lunch said:
Vincent242 said:
Vincent's story goes all the way back to his brith. You may ask... what's a Dark Elf named "Vincent" doing running amok? In actuality, he was named by a Breton. After his mother gave birth to him, she passed out for a few hours. Her best friend, Aden, had to take charge of his name. She named him "Vincent", because, being a Breton, she couldn't think of a Dark Elven Name. Only the name of a Breton! His family had no objections, fortunately.
From a young age, Vincent was trained by Aden in the art of magic, and and by Karrtas in combat with a Dai-Katana. He became quite the battlemage by age 12. People would come and see him perform his excellent skills in the town, while he swung his sword swiftly, casting spells at one of Drarayne Thelas' many spare pillows. But always, she would come running out screaming that she still needed the pillow. Vincent hated that woman.
But he did not hate Balmora. He loved it there, and unfortunately, due to an increase in Blight Storms, his family had to move to Cyrodiil, the capital city of Tamriel. The journey was arduous, and it was lucky Vincent had such skills, for now he could hunt skillfully, and light campfires with magic.
When they arrived in thier new home, there was much talk of the "Nerevarine", a legendary messiah in the Tribunal Temple, who had slain Dagoth Ur and stopped the Blight Storms. His father was angered at the fact he thought the whole journey was for nothing, but Ryfyl explained to him that if they'd stayed in Morrowind for one more day, they'd have all cought a Blight Disease.
Vincent grew to 18 years of age in Cyrodiil, continuing to train with a blade and magic, until one day, returning from outside the city gates (he was practicing), he happened upon a horrible sight. Someone had stolen his family's sacred ancestor statues from thier shrine! Vincent, furious, took his blade, and headed for the Thieves Guild hall, the place where he thought they would most likely be.
As he barged in, the Thieves had his statues. He started slaughtering them, fighting them one by one. Thieves had no power in close combat. But after he killed about five of them, one of the wood elves took the small wooden sculptures and tossed them into the fireplace, destroying them.
Vincents screams could be heard throughout the city, and the guards ran into the room, arresting both the Thief and Vincent.
Vincent was thrown in the Imperial Prison, and as he sat in the dark dungeon, his soul burned, and he was burdened by his sin... his innability to save his ancestors. He vowed to someday become strong enough, and start a new bloodline for his family, and new stronger, more revered bloodline. A bloodline that would go down in history forever.
As Vincent pondered one day, he heard footsteps approaching his cell...

Good God.

Master Thief

Scholar
Naked_Lunch said:
Vincent242 said:
Vincent's story goes all the way back to his brith. You may ask... what's a Dark Elf named "Vincent" doing running amok? In actuality, he was named by a Breton. After his mother gave birth to him, she passed out for a few hours. Her best friend, Aden, had to take charge of his name. She named him "Vincent", because, being a Breton, she couldn't think of a Dark Elven Name. Only the name of a Breton! His family had no objections, fortunately.
From a young age, Vincent was trained by Aden in the art of magic, and and by Karrtas in combat with a Dai-Katana. He became quite the battlemage by age 12. People would come and see him perform his excellent skills in the town, while he swung his sword swiftly, casting spells at one of Drarayne Thelas' many spare pillows. But always, she would come running out screaming that she still needed the pillow. Vincent hated that woman.
But he did not hate Balmora. He loved it there, and unfortunately, due to an increase in Blight Storms, his family had to move to Cyrodiil, the capital city of Tamriel. The journey was arduous, and it was lucky Vincent had such skills, for now he could hunt skillfully, and light campfires with magic.
When they arrived in thier new home, there was much talk of the "Nerevarine", a legendary messiah in the Tribunal Temple, who had slain Dagoth Ur and stopped the Blight Storms. His father was angered at the fact he thought the whole journey was for nothing, but Ryfyl explained to him that if they'd stayed in Morrowind for one more day, they'd have all cought a Blight Disease.
Vincent grew to 18 years of age in Cyrodiil, continuing to train with a blade and magic, until one day, returning from outside the city gates (he was practicing), he happened upon a horrible sight. Someone had stolen his family's sacred ancestor statues from thier shrine! Vincent, furious, took his blade, and headed for the Thieves Guild hall, the place where he thought they would most likely be.
As he barged in, the Thieves had his statues. He started slaughtering them, fighting them one by one. Thieves had no power in close combat. But after he killed about five of them, one of the wood elves took the small wooden sculptures and tossed them into the fireplace, destroying them.
Vincents screams could be heard throughout the city, and the guards ran into the room, arresting both the Thief and Vincent.
Vincent was thrown in the Imperial Prison, and as he sat in the dark dungeon, his soul burned, and he was burdened by his sin... his innability to save his ancestors. He vowed to someday become strong enough, and start a new bloodline for his family, and new stronger, more revered bloodline. A bloodline that would go down in history forever.
As Vincent pondered one day, he heard footsteps approaching his cell...

If he is over the age of 12 Ill be Horrified...

Levski 1912

Scholar
Funniest part of that shitty lifestory is that whoever wrote it probably spent days and days thinking about it...dumbass.

kris

Arcane
Levski 1912 said:
Funniest part of that shitty lifestory is that whoever wrote it probably spent days and days thinking about it...dumbass.

Probably just a kid, 13 or something.

Twinfalls

Erudite
And this is a key part of the problem. I'd like to ask Bethesda one simple question: "Daggerfall was a game made for adults, even though it also appealed to those intelligent teenagers who read adult literature. Can you tell us that Oblivion is similarly a game made for adults?

The truthful answer, from all the evidence, is a big fucking 'No'.

Section8

Cipher
Meh, I don't see what anyone gains from directly ripping the piss out of someone's character story. If you're going to satirise, go hog wild, but singling out someone at random to laugh at is pretty cheap. Besides, his story is arguably better than a Bioware narrative.

And this is a key part of the problem. I'd like to ask Bethesda one simple question: "Daggerfall was a game made for adults, even though it also appealed to those intelligent teenagers who read adult literature. Can you tell us that Oblivion is similarly a game made for adults?

Yet another sad symptom of our consumer culture. And, Bethesda's shameless pursuit of more lucrative markets.

Chefe

Erudite
Twinfalls said:

It's more than just 'No'. From having read Bethesda's forums, and Nintendo's forums, I'm inclined to say that Oblivion is going to be less "mature" than even THIS game:

25.jpg

I'm being dead serious. The Nintendo forums are primarily made up of kids from the ages 13 - 16. They get excited when they find out that Link is going to be solving more complex puzzles and wield more items in his next adventure. They cheered when it was revealed that the next installment would be taking on a more "grown-up" theme. Bethesda's fans, on the other hand, cheer when they find out that the complexity has gone down dramatically and gameplay elements have been tossed outright. Hell, they even fiercely defend it.

Really, I don't think I've encountered more stupid, idiotic fanboys (or people for that matter) than what I see at the TES boards. It's a damn mockery of.... well, humans.

Blacklung

Arbiter
The geological, topographical, theological pancake
They cheered...when the game was dumbed down...how can these guys really consider their grey matter to really hold any intelligence at all is beyond my comprehension. Of course, I've said it once and I'll say it again: For every intilgent person on this universal speck of dust, there are one hundred more idiots.

Balor

Arcane
I've said it once and I'll say it again: For every intilgent person on this universal speck of dust, there are one hundred more idiots.
Discovered America, aren't you? :P
Just lookup IQ distribution chart. (like here)
And people that are considered 'a bit smart' begin from 110.
100 is your average Joe.
Below is your average dumb Joe.
And I saw some charts that people that actually contribute something to developement on human race begin from IQ of 120, and above (more from about 140, actually).
So, it's not some sort of 'saying' - it's fucking fact.

Blacklung

Arbiter
The geological, topographical, theological pancake
Balor said:
I've said it once and I'll say it again: For every intilgent person on this universal speck of dust, there are one hundred more idiots.
100 is your average Joe.
And I saw some charts that people that actually contribute something to developement on human race begin from IQ of 120, and above (more from about 140, actually).

Haha, I love it. Thank you for the factual backing. Still for some reason I'm always surprised by such absolute stupidity where ever I find it. You'd think I'd be immunized by now considering I'm a pre-med student living in a frat house on campus that specializes in business (I'm here for the psych dept.). Talk about stuck behind enemy lines.

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
Balor said:
100 is your average Joe.
If you want to become a true IQ elitist I suggest you read "The g Factor", "IQ and the Wealth of Nations", "The Bell Curve" and "Human Accomplishment" (alright, the last one is about dead smart people, but it's by Charles Murray).

Zomg

Arbiter
Master Thief said:
This poster wants the female characters to look more like DOA girls.

Does anyone remember what it was like to have never seen anything anime at all? And then you see it for the first time as a teenager or twenty-something, and it's all fucking disturbing, the elephant man deformity of it? Kids these days are cheated out of that by all of those CCG advertisement cartoons.

Umber

Novice
Em... Why not picture books?
well because if you had to read a book telling you where some thing is kept and shows you a house but not telling you where the house is located then that would be a problem.
unless if it was a book with both text and pictures.

Data4

Arcane
Maybe in their native location these things are so buried that it's hard to see at a casual glance. I hope everyone in that office in Maryland has a chance to read our thread here.

See what you have wrought? Are you proud? I bet Julian LeFay is laughing his ass off right now.

-D4

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom